“Like staying at a friends house” 5 of 5 stars

Ocean Reef Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1130 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #153 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Buenos Aires, Distrito Federal, Argentina
“Like staying at a friends house”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

I found this hotel thanks to Budget Travel. It was absolutely perfect. Husband & I stayed for 3 days and had no problems. Rooms (plural!) were huge, incredible deal for just 1 block from Ocean Drive.Nice building right on Collins Avenue, not a room but a flat basically, with a big bed, flat screen tv, a couch, a mini kitchen, a walk-in wardrobe, a pleasant bathroom, we loved it. They were very accommodating and allowed us to check in hours early. It was very clean, pretty much perfect. We didn't use the kitchen besides the fridge and a few dishes but it was really nice to have those (bought milk & cereal to eat there every morning).I was a little concerned by the lack of a pool but that wasn't a problem at all since the ocean was a 5 minute walk away. Highly recommend this hotel. Such a great deal..

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
ORSuites, Guest Relations Manager at Ocean Reef Suites, responded to this review, November 19, 2011
Thank you for your comments! Making you feel at home is exactly what our goal is, so we are happy we did a good job. We are your "friend's house" in Miami any time you and your husband wish to come back.... and we hope it is soon! Warm regards from everyone in our team.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

The only very good reason to stay there is the location for a relatively low price (at least for SoBe standards). The room was spacious and comfortable (fridge, coffee maker, microwave are provided) but it could be cleaner and the bathroom would need renovation. Main downside was definitely the noise I had to wear my ear-plug to be able to sleep. There is no elevator. Stay there if you are happy to give up some comfort to save some cash and be in the most convenient location in South Beach.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for writing a review about your experience in our hotel. Yes, some of our rooms need touch-ups. This year was very positive, because even during low season, we managed to be full house. The downside was that we didn't have the time needed to do certain upgrades the rooms required. Nevertheless, there are good news! We have approved a budget for window replacement on the few rooms that have noise from the alley (that's the best we can do, since garbage pick-up is a necessary service and it happens all around town, not only at our hotel)

During the first months of 2012 we will address all these touch ups to be ready for another exciting and busy year. Hope you will come and visit :)
Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

As others have said, the location is great (Collins is one block off the beach). Plenty of restaurants very close. Free and fast internet. The place was clean and the staff seemed nice though I didn't interact with them much. The main issue is that the place is a little threadbare across the board. Old bathroom, old curtains, old bed, etc. It had a (old) futon and a double bed and would be great as a crash pad for four people who wanted to party. I suppose this comes with an older place attempting a refurb, but there was also a LOT of noise from early in the morning (e.g., trucks in the alley, 8am Sunday morning JACKHAMMERING). I would stay again, but my experience was more in the "average" range than other reviewers here.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
ORSuites, Guest Relations Manager at Ocean Reef Suites, responded to this review, November 18, 2011
We are sorry to hear you feel your experience was rather average. We know we have the potential to provide our guests with an excellent stay. Although now it is late, since you have departed, we ask you to please give us another chance in a future visit. We will make it up to you.
NL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

I selected the Ocean Reef through Tripadvisor. When I checked in I noticed the Tripadvisor sticker at the reception. They asked me if I write reviews and gave me a free upgrade to a Suite instead of the Studio I booked.

The room is spacious, a lot larger then the everage South Beach Hotelroom, see the pictures.
The airco made a constant noise, but wasn't disturbing. There is a safe in the room, but it was on the ground in a closet and the operating instruction was in small letters on a sticker. Because my eyesight is not that good anymore I had to lay on my knees to find out how it works. It would have been nice if the safe was mounted on a more convenient hight.

The bed was good and I sleeped well. They gave me room #221 at the back of the Hotel and every morning a carbage truck emptied containers at 7.30 AM, even on Sunday. I made a video of that and I will try to upload it.
The bathroom is small like most of the South Beach Hotels I stayed in. But it was clean and had everything I needed.

The people at the reception desk were all very friendly and helped me very good on several occasions.

Breakfast is available in the Flow Cafe in front of the Hotel with a 10% discount for hotel guests. Good food for a reasonable price, again, people here are friendly as well.

I did not use the ammeneties, but beach towels were available free of charge, coffeemaker with coffee in the room and the kitchen in the room was well equiped.
I enjoyed the free WiFi facility and every Hotel should have that!!

Vibrant Ocean Drive and the beach are just one block away, so the location is excellent. The hotel is also near restaurants, clubs and shops in Washington Road, Espanola and Lincoln Road. Because the front of the Hotel is on Collins and there is an alley at the back of the Hotel it is a bit noisy area.

The next time I visit Miami I will certainly consider this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
ORSuites, Guest Relations Manager at Ocean Reef Suites, responded to this review, November 15, 2011
We are really happy you wrote a review, since you took the time to make a thorough evaluation, with photos and all. You are fair in your comments of our high and low points. Thank you for doing your part in sharing your experience at our hotel. We have two things we would like to add. First, plans for room improvements are set and scheduled for 2012. Second, we honestly hope you do consider us next time you visit Miami. We will make sure you get one of our many quiet rooms. Thanks again and warmest regards.
Lanaken, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

The hotel was nice and clean.
It's on a good location!
Very friendly staff.
Rooms on the second floor are less noisy.
We enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
You liked it and we are very glad. Thank you for sharing your experience!!!
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

Lovely hotel, close to bars and restaurants and to the beach.
Great service at the hotel, and book in advance at booking.com to get the best deals.
Room was clean and tidy, and they looked after us in everything we needed.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
ORSuites, Guest Relations Manager at Ocean Reef Suites, responded to this review, November 11, 2011
Thank you! We try very hard and your positive feedback is greatly appreciated.
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Ocean Reef Hotel in SoBe for our honeymoon. We loved the place, very quaint, very clean and excellent staff.
Kudos to Tamara, Jenny and Marcelo! Thank you for taking such good care of us for 7 days!
the room was clean, air conditioner worked excellent, and the room was cleaned daily... the location is EXCELLENT if you want to be close enough to the action but far enough away that you can actually sleep in peace at night. one block down and over from Ocean drive.. 6 blocks from Lincoln Rd, which is great eating and shopping!
We will be back and we will stay at Ocean Reef!
thank you to all for your care and hospitality!

Room Tip: if you want quieter, don't get the rooms that over look Collins Ave, get a room in the middle of...