“Urban Beach Week 2014” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #115 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Urban Beach Week 2014”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014 via mobile

My sister and I went to south beach on Thursday, May 22 and checked into the Cardoza Hotel at 1300 Ocean Drive. I reserved a King Suite months in advance, but made no payments until check-in. We arrived just after 1pm, and although check-in isn't until 3pm, our room was ready! The room was kinda cozy for a king suite. The bathroom had a stand-in shower, so no tub for bathing. Our view faced the alley, but there was a view of Collins street. The room had a heavy fragrance when we arrived that smelled great, but faded before we left after 5 days. The bed was stiff, but comfortable. My sister, who suffers from lower back pain, actually enjoyed the bed!
Various tidbits:
The walls/doors/floors are thin. So sound/noises are abundant, you'll hear plenty.
Room service ran late, so they never disturbed us to clean up. We typically left the room by 11-12pm each day.
The staff was pleasant and helpful; however, our cleaning service REPEATEDLY failed to replace our face towels with each passing day. So we were forced to call down to send for them.
The location was AWESOME! We wanted the party atmosphere! Police outside, barricades blocking Ocean Drive, party people walking around or headed to the beach. And since everything is in walking distance, this was a great location right on the beach front for Urban Beach Week.
The hotel charges a $50/night deposit that was deducted from my debit card in two days (way too soon). However, they promised it would all be refunded after check-out. So I'm still waiting for the refund.
We arrived on 5/22 and checked-out 5/27, and overall we had a wonderful time. Everything down there is SUPER expensive, so save your coins! Our room rates were ~ $226/night.
The room was clean without any bugs! (YES!!!)
But I must warn you: DO NOT use your debit/credit card at the hotel's restaurant. The waiters have a nasty habit of swiping your card, but failing to return it to you. I thought my vacation was ruined when I couldn't find my debit card, but when I returned to the restaurant, not only did he keep my card, but they had a STACK of cards bundled with a rubber band from other patrons.

• Stayed May 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Washington DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

Let's start with the good points: The location can't be beat -- you're across the street from a park that leads to the beach. It's gorgeous. The service was also good. Everyone I spoke to at the front desk was very helpful and friendly. And it's clean.
The downside is the noise. We asked for a quiet room (and were told that we got one) but between the noise from the bar and the thin walls, we heard noise all night. The rooms and decor are a little dated as well.
Overall, if you can sleep through noise, this is a great hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

We stayed at this hotel and the room was fine.... The service on the other hand is not here.... The restaurant is awful and the service was not to be found. They more worried about filling the tables than serving the guest that are already seated. Had to go to the bar to get drink refill. Received bill and they had a Mt. Sinai donation included in the bill as a line item. They are cheaters and wouldn't recommend using the restaurant.

Stayed May 2014
Waasmunster, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend and I stayed here for one night to start out our roadtrip. The room was good;location was great. Right by the beautiful beach. We came in late due to a delayed flight but the lady at the reception was nice enough to give us extra time before chec out the next day so we could get some sleep.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

Well...let me start by saying that I was a bit weary of staying here because of how low this hotel is rated on the lists of all the hotels in South Beach. But, I ignored that, went with my gut feeling and booked the Cardozo based on the price and location to the beach.

The location? Doesn't get any better. You are ON south beach! But the perfect thing about it is, you can still sleep soundly on the rare night that you don't want to go out. Even in the mornings, it's not the street noise that wakes you up.

There's about 40 rooms in the entire hotel and when I checked in, I was put in a spacious corner room. The windows opened to allow in the beautiful Miami air, too. I loved that!

The staff was so kind and helpful. I had a huge delivery sent from my office (which I had completely forgotten about) but a few hours after check-in, I came to my room and it was on my bed. Valet never took too long to retrieve the car. Just make sure you call them before you head down.

I loved the Cardozo and will be staying here every time I voyage to Miami...without a doubt.

Tip: If you are planning on staying here with a group...the bathroom is not large enough for "getting ready." Thankfully, they had a full-sized mirror outside the bathroom door that provided more mirror access.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Bonita Springs, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

I absolutely love this hotel, from the decor to the polite courteous staff. I have been here 4 times and plan to come back this year again. It is convenient to everything you desire to do. Starbucks, shopping, the beach is right across the street, bistros, clubs and all within walking distance. You valet your car when you stay here, because you do not need it!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

Room was large, very clean and the hotel is very nicely kept. The location relative to the beach is unmatched. Hotel staff was very friendly. The free wifi was a little spotty, but otherwise no other complaints. I will definitely be back.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends