“I almost don't want to share this” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Mantell Plaza

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Miami Beach
The Mantell Plaza
255 W. 24th St., Miami Beach, FL 33140 (Bayshore)   |
Ranked #47 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Cincinnati, Ohio
“I almost don't want to share this”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I'm reluctant to review just how much I and my spouse liked this place, for fear that if we want to return, there will be no vacancies. I did a lot of research about places to stay before our trip and though my spouse was reluctant to stay somewhere without a permanent staff, the trade-off was well worth it. We settled on this, however, because even though it is a studio apartment, it seemed to offer just about as much room as hotel rooms, but with better amenities (for us, anyway).

Ray, who manages the rentals, is omnipresent, regularly seen around the property. If we needed anything, he immediate responded to our request. We arrived rather late at night, yet he happily came over to not only meet us, but give us a tour at 11:00 at night. Ray, however, was completely non-invasive, so we never felt like he hovered or was checking up on us.

We stayed in a very stylish suite with a balcony. It was so much nicer than a hotel room, in my opinion. The pool / pool area was really nice and the Plaza is just about one block from a non-busy section of the beach.

We rented a car for our stay. Despite my reservations about on-street parking, even with street construction taking away some of the spots, we had no problems finding a spot within reasonable walking distance.

There was street construction during the day, but the noise was bearable and wasn't even bothersome when by the pool, because of where it's located.

The location is also within walking distance (about a mile) to the central tourist area, which was far enough to keep the property quiet, but close enough to opt to walk.

The whole building has free wifi, which was really useful.

I would highly recommend this place for couples looking for a quiet, reasonably priced, and comfortable place to stay in Miami Beach.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

50 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I stayed at the Mantell Plaza during Art Deco Weekend in January. The room was modest, clean and comfortable with the added character of being a heritage Art Deco building.
It was located about a 30 minute walk to Ocean drive, a 10 minute walk to the beach and a grocery market and pharmacy right around the corner. It's the perfect distance to take Miami beach in and still get a great night sleep. The pool area is like a little oasis. Lush tropical foliage surrounds the good sized private pool...no mad club scene, just a nice quiet relaxing pool. The Mantell will be my go-to place for my next trip to Miami.

Room Tip: ask for a pool view
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We stayed in #209 - a tiny cozy aparto-hotel. Loved having a kitchenette. The location is great. Lovely pool. Quiet & quant. The only disappointment - the Internet is very slow at times... Faster at the pool than our suite. Overall, recommend.

• Stayed January 2013
Boquete, Panama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Located within Collins Park which is a neighborhood smack dab between So Miami Beach and Miami Beach. It's as well conveniently located on the bus route to Miami town central. A 5 minute walk to the sandy beach. The hotel is as well a condominium with rented units for hotel use. Each unit is equipped with a full kitchen. The hotel has a pool, full gym, laundry facility and dvd, book library in the great room. Rooms are small but you just can't beat the accomodation and location. You can walk to Lincoln Rd !...and bus to Miami City as well No Miami Beach in less than 1/2 hour. It's close to the airport. The rental agent is more than accomodating. There is a full basket of goodies with fruit, yogurt and snacks as a welcome to guests. This is a classic Art Deco building with classic Art Deco decor. Secure. Internet access. Iron, ironing board, hair dryer. For Jewish clients, it's walking distance to the Temple, Jewish Institute, and Mikvah. Avis rental car is a couple blocks away if you should be flying in via Spirit (cheapest) that flies to Lauderdale. You can drive one way to this Hotel in a couple of hours and drop your rental car off here ... bus, walking and rental bikes are the way to go once here. Saves $$ ! We'll we back !

Room Tip: Rooms vary in size. Ours had a Murphy bed which was very comfortable and made the room all the bigg...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Navarre, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I had a friend visiting from our of town that really wanted to visit Miami. We live in the FL panhandle and had yet to make the trip ourselves. After consulting Tripadvisor and a co-worker that is from Miami, we settled on the Mantell. We were on a budget and it met are needs for price and location.

The room was above average. The building is a bit older. But what it was lacking in newness was more than made up for by amenities and the outstanding service we got from the manager, Mr Ray Breslin. We ended up arriving later in the evening than expected. But that didn't prevent Ray from greeting us upon arrival and giving us a quick tour of the hotel. His tips for navigating the area by car and taxi were extremely helpful.

Our room was small, but we got what we paid for...a room to comfortably accommodate three adults. Ray definitely knows how to take care of his guests as demonstrated by the wide variety of complimentary fruit, snacks, coffee, and snacks he put in the room for us.

If you are looking for a cost conscious way to visit South Beach, I would highly recommend you consider The Mantell.

Tourist note: if you are looking for a budget eating and watering hole in South Beach, and the SoFi area ( South of Fifth), check out Monty's. first of all there is free garage parking next to it. Second, their happy hour is amazing. 30% off beer and cocktails, 70 cent shrimp and discounts on oysters and crab claws. We feasted like kings as we sat on the deck watching the sunset and the boats cruising by.

• Stayed October 2012
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

I have had the good fortune to travel throughout the United States and Europe. I am reasonable in my expectations and believe you get what you pay for. I feel it is my responsibility to warn anyone who is thinking of staying here of the experience I had. I hope to avoid anyone else from having the same experiences.

I traveled to Miami Beach for a conference and to check out local colleges with my son. I stumbled across this accommodation on trip advisor and based on reviews decided to give it a try.

Pros: Ray is very nice when making the reservation and free continental breakfasts are provided upon arrival.

Cons: 1. When making the reservation you don't know what room you are getting. I asked several times and the response was always "all rooms are equal quality." Ray told me later that he placed us in his premium room and didn't charge us for it. There was no mention of different fees for different room on the website.
2. Have to pay in cash or check, no credit cards.
3. The building is very old and smells it! Has that musky-moldy smell that a good cleaning would take care of!
4. BEWARE: you will be hit for fees once you get to the room. For example, Ray left a pink laminated paper saying I would have to pay him $100 deposit for the parking permit. He also said that I owed him $10 a day for the futon as it was considered a separate sleeping space. None of that information was every communicated to me prior to the trip, on the website or on our invoice.
5, Ray's reaction to my questions were unprofessional and rude. For example, when questioned about a reduced rate for the day the water was being shut off he became EXTREMELY hostile and belligerent. He didn't care that we could not use the toilet!
6. The room and furnishings are very outdated and in need of a cleaning. The room itself was dirty and needed a deep cleaning too. The carpet was worn and dirty and the bathroom had a great deal of grime.
7. The parking is ridiculous. Although provided a permit to park, we were not told that the parking was only for the street. As a matter of fact, Ray said that they would call him first before towing any car, but that was not the case! Our car was towed at the tune of $300. When I questioned Ray he again, became defensive and belligerent! He was so out of hand I had to tell him to leave our room!

Overall, the lack of professionalism of Ray bordered on harassment. I felt mislead regarding the parking not to mention all the other fees he sprung on us when we arrived. There are way too many hotels to choose from in Miami Beach (for the same price) to stay here. It was a terrible experience and I would not recommend it at all.

Room Tip: You don't get to choose ahead of time...it is assigned to you when you arrive.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We stayed at the Bresaro Suites at the Mantell Plaza. The building was a lovely art-deco building. The room / suite was a kitchen/diner/living space and bedroom in one and quite tight on space when the fold-down bed was down. It was clean but a little dated (although probably in character with the building). There was a great pool and the location was very convenient for the beach and bars and restaurants of Miami Beach with public bikes and buses a block away. Ray was an ideal host and put himself out for us and made us feel very welcome. I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Mantell Plaza? Share your experiences!