“Valuable Stay on Ocean Drive” 4 of 5 stars

Penguin Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1418 Ocean Dr, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Ranked #101 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Dallas, Texas
“Valuable Stay on Ocean Drive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

If you're looking to be dropped right in the middle of the center of tourist world in South Beach and experience Ocean Drive right out your door, you've found the place. Its location on the northern-most stretch of Ocean Drive keeps you away from the chaos further down for when you want to retire from the party life, which was nice considering I didn't actually party too much at night while in SoBe.

The rooms are spacious and for the most part clean. If I wanted to be a total critic I could note several things I wasn't too impressed by, but the good outweighed the bad and the bad was too petty to even matter. If you're a total neat freak who's used to her immaculate, magazine looking hotel room at the Westin, you might not be down for this place. If a few dirt stains on the curtains and scuffs on the walls doesn't bug you, you'll be able to relax in the room just fine. The shower was a bit odd in that the minimalist aesthetic was taken to the point where the shower wall (or lack thereof) wasn't very practical. That said, be prepared to use the towels double duty as bath mats. House keeping came at odd times, around 4-5pm, so if you're taking a siesta around then be forewarned if you want turndown service. Aside from a few picky things I noted on, I really felt comfy hanging out in the room. The wall of mirrors is a very nice perk when you're trying to get ready for a night out and your significant other is hogging the bathroom.

The beach towels you get for free (well, which are included with the resort fee) from the front desk are alright for drying off and bringing along, but I would definitely invest in a thicker/bigger towel to lay on in the sand.

The complementary drinks are alright, but I went for the $4 up-charge to have a Bloody Mary which was well worth it. I definitely wouldn't hold your breath for the free breakfast, but that's the restaurant's feedback (Purple Penguin) and not the hotel.

All in all, if you're in your 20s/30s and want somewhere steps from the beach and nightlife, and you're not going to freak out if you see a stain on a white curtain then you'll have a great few nights at this place.

Room Tip: rooms further back from the lobby will be quieter
  • Stayed August 2015, traveled as a couple
JVecic, Front Office Manager at Penguin Hotel, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear Valued guest Jake

I would like to take a moment to thank you for your guest feedback regarding your stay with us at the Penguin Hotel. Let us say thank you for taking the time in sharing your experience with us. We truly appreciate it as we are constantly reading them for self improvement. With that said, we are very happy to know that you enjoyed our location, rooms and our awesome amenities.

kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Just stayed for the 2nd time. No, it's not the Loews or Ritz, but this is an old boutique hotel that has been remodeled - what are you expecting? They've done a great job and both rooms were very comfortable. Ended up with the Rooftop Suite on this last stay, and the room was like the others, but the deck was AWESOME. Great view of the ocean, beach, and Ocean drive. All staff we encountered on both occasions were wonderful, breakfast was great, location is excellent, and I would definitely stay here again and again.

• Stayed August 2015, traveled with friends
JVecic, Front Office Manager at Penguin Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Greetings from the Penguin,

Our staff and I greatly appreciate your feedback and are glad that you had such a nice experience. Thank you so much for the opportunity to serve! It's great when our guest grasp the full experience our awesome location offers and it's great that you were one of them.

Thanks again, we hope to see you back soon!

Kindest Regards,
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Reviewing this hotel on the basis of dining only (as we didn't stay here - only ate here). My partner and I went here for the all day breakfast menu. Basic breakfasts- over priced for what you get. Coffee was great.. So great I had to have more than one (latte). Food was presented poorly and was cold when it was delivered. Very basic meals, even though you pay quite a bit for them. We wouldn't have breakfast here again because of that, even though the hotel is situated in a great location (across the road from the beach).

Stayed August 2015, traveled as a couple
Greetings from Penguin

I would like to take a moment to thank you for your guest feedback regarding your stay with us at the Penguin Hotel. We always take our guests feedback seriously and utilize it to improve our guest satisfaction.

Kind regards
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Very nicely maintained hotel, excellent room service by housekeeper Josepa, nice restaurant on a first floor. Great location on Ocean drive right next to the beach. We had a great romantic couples vacation.

• Stayed August 2015, traveled as a couple
JVecic, Front Office Manager at Penguin Hotel, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Greetings from the Penguin,

Thanks again, we hope to see you back soon!

Kindest Regards,
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We live here locally and know FL for more than 10 Yrs., and this place sucks.... Long story short, this place is OLD, DIRTY, and UNFAITHFUL!!!!

Be careful..., if you need pics, just email us, they promise the sky and they give you s*...
Don't trust this place...

Stayed August 2015
Dear Valued guest Ximena,

On behalf of the entire Penguin staff and myself, we would like to share our sincere apologies on your recent experience. Rest assured that I have personally spoken to our housekeeping department and we will be looking further into your stay. If you could take a moment to read some of the comments below you will see that we take great pride in the cleanliness of our property and such an experience will not be tolerated.

Sincerely
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

They had taken $206 from my account a couple of days before checking in, I had thought they would take one night's purchase just to make sure I would actually be checking in like a deposit, turns out I still had to pay the $500 for both nights plus the money they had already taken out, the person who attended me could not tell me why it was that they had taken out the $206 dollars. I called expedia and turns out they take a $206 deposit in case something is broken or anything like that in which they will return in 5-7 business days. I had to call my parents to send me money because I figured I was only going to pay the other $300 for the other night. The room was dirty and we were in room 119 which is in the corner on the first floor and at 6am you would be awoken by the noise of the trucks driving through the ally way or around 4am you would hear people walking through the ally and you could hear everything. The only positive thing I could write about this hotel is Noremise checked me out and she was very sweet and made sure everything was okay and called a cab for me, other than that I dont recommend anyone staying here unless its your LAST resort.

• Stayed July 2015, traveled with friends
JVecic, Front Office Manager at Penguin Hotel, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear Valued guest Erica,

regarding security deposit, on Expedia.com is written that we are holding incidentals deposit, and after check-out it is refundable.

Wakefield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This was our 2nd vacation in Miami for 2 weeks long stay. I have been reading review about this hotel here on TripAdvisor and seemed ok until we have arrived!
Reception-nice and smiling receptionist explained everything what we needed to know. Our surprise where when she asked to leave 250 deposit which was returned back after check out. So point this please! Prepare cash, don't suggest to pay by card (this is another story)....

Elevator was terrible! In the corridors carpet was old and all around them blue duck tape or so... I just wanted to check out and go to another hotel! Seriously!
Only good thing was bed! I liked, it was comfy and huge...
Housekeeping Mrs Josefa was friendly, kind and always left our room clean.
Breakfast-average. There is no continental buffet but you have to choose from menu. The best one was 1st choose-eggs, 2 toasts and slice of watermelon. Have tried muffin but it was not good. Staff? Could wanted better. If you will not leave any tips you will get the same attitude. Only guy who seemed enjoying his work was black guy with dreadlocks and only he got some tips from us.
It was annoying every time you come to the hotel some of staff saying welcome back, lunch, dinner etc.? I know that it's their job but for me it does not for at all!!

The only positive is location, location, location! Close to the beach, buses etc.

• Stayed June 2015, traveled as a couple
Greetings from The Penguin Hotel,

Firstly allow us to say thank you for taking the time to in sharing your experience. We are extremely disappointed that our property failed to meet your standards. We can assure you that we have noted everything you have commented on and is currently being discussed with the said department. We take great pride in our service and are always looking to ways in improving. Thank you again for the opportunity to serve.

Kind Regards