“Horrible” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #105 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Dallas, Texas
“Horrible”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

They had taken $206 from my account a couple of days before checking in, I had thought they would take one night's purchase just to make sure I would actually be checking in like a deposit, turns out I still had to pay the $500 for both nights plus the money they had already taken out, the person who attended me could not tell me why it was that they had taken out the $206 dollars. I called expedia and turns out they take a $206 deposit in case something is broken or anything like that in which they will return in 5-7 business days. I had to call my parents to send me money because I figured I was only going to pay the other $300 for the other night. The room was dirty and we were in room 119 which is in the corner on the first floor and at 6am you would be awoken by the noise of the trucks driving through the ally way or around 4am you would hear people walking through the ally and you could hear everything. The only positive thing I could write about this hotel is Noremise checked me out and she was very sweet and made sure everything was okay and called a cab for me, other than that I dont recommend anyone staying here unless its your LAST resort.

• Stayed July 2015, traveled with friends
JVecic, Front Office Manager at Penguin Hotel, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear Valued guest Erica,

I would like to take a moment to thank you for your guest feedback regarding your stay with us at the Penguin Hotel. We always take our guests feedback seriously and utilize it to improve our guest satisfaction.

On behalf of the entire Penguin staff and myself, we would like to share our sincere apologies on your recent experience. Rest assured that I have personally spoken to our housekeeping department and we will be looking further into your stay. If you could take a moment to read some of the comments below you will see that we take great pride in the cleanliness of our property and such an experience will not be tolerated.
regarding security deposit, on Expedia.com is written that we are holding incidentals deposit, and after check-out it is refundable.

Thank you again for your time and for the opportunity to serve.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Wakefield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

This was our 2nd vacation in Miami for 2 weeks long stay. I have been reading review about this hotel here on TripAdvisor and seemed ok until we have arrived!
Reception-nice and smiling receptionist explained everything what we needed to know. Our surprise where when she asked to leave 250 deposit which was returned back after check out. So point this please! Prepare cash, don't suggest to pay by card (this is another story)....

Elevator was terrible! In the corridors carpet was old and all around them blue duck tape or so... I just wanted to check out and go to another hotel! Seriously!
Only good thing was bed! I liked, it was comfy and huge...
Housekeeping Mrs Josefa was friendly, kind and always left our room clean.
Breakfast-average. There is no continental buffet but you have to choose from menu. The best one was 1st choose-eggs, 2 toasts and slice of watermelon. Have tried muffin but it was not good. Staff? Could wanted better. If you will not leave any tips you will get the same attitude. Only guy who seemed enjoying his work was black guy with dreadlocks and only he got some tips from us.
It was annoying every time you come to the hotel some of staff saying welcome back, lunch, dinner etc.? I know that it's their job but for me it does not for at all!!

The only positive is location, location, location! Close to the beach, buses etc.

• Stayed June 2015, traveled as a couple
Greetings from The Penguin Hotel,

Firstly allow us to say thank you for taking the time to in sharing your experience. We are extremely disappointed that our property failed to meet your standards. We can assure you that we have noted everything you have commented on and is currently being discussed with the said department. We take great pride in our service and are always looking to ways in improving. Thank you again for the opportunity to serve.

Kind Regards
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Chose it for a family one night getaway, to spend time with my elderly dad, who is diabetic, and has a hard time getting around. Let's see, where do I begin, the hotel had no handicap ramp, and my dad had to struggle to come up the steps, I was let down that no one jumped to help him out, leaving me to do it while still holding my bags.. immediately after, the elevator got stuck on the way up, and we needed to wait for fire rescue to come and open the door. I do have to say, that they responded rather quick, about 10 min, so that was good, I guess. Rooms are in a poor condition, wallpaper was coming off the wall in the room where my husband and my nine year old son stayed, tiles were lose and cracked on the floor, and the bathroom was in very poor shape. My father's room was nicer, in terms of the view, and in a slightly better shape, although due to the heavy rain, the ceiling started leaking right over the window in the left corner. .. don't choose suit 301 or 208.... service in the downstairs restaurant was awfull, I can say that, because I myself work at a beach front hotel, and would never treat my guests as anything less than special, no matter how difficult they were. There was only one person, who actually genuinely enjoyed working there, and that was Stuart,our server on the morning of the checkout, who went above and beyond to assist us at breakfast, and for that I was greatful. This is my first review ever, it sucks that it has to be a negative one. .. I'm generally a non confrontational, an easy going person, so we didn't make any great fuss, but the front desk, knowing of all of their shortcomings, did absolutley nothing to accommodate us, and reimburse us for the crappy rooms, and horrible services. We just recently vacationed on Tulum, Mexico, in the middle of the city, and not in the resort, and our accommodations blew the Penguin Hotel out of the water in service, and room quality. Will never stay there again, even if they paid me to.

Stayed July 2015, traveled with family
JVecic, Front Office Manager at Penguin Hotel, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Greetings from The Penguin Hotel,

Kind Regards
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We booked a night at the penguin hotel since we were going on a cruise to the bahamas the next day. We paid for the valet parking, and the lady at the front desk told us to leave our car in front of the hotel and assured us that our car would be picked up by their hired service. Many hours passed until our car was picked up, but we did not think much of this at the moment. A month after our stay at the hotel, we received a parking ticket for $45. Each time that we called the hotel to make a claim, they would redirect us to the parking service they hire. In the end nobody was willing to truly help out. After seeing that making a claim was futile, I had to pay the parking ticket. The hotel's service and the management were very poor at handling this situation. Equally poor was the room we stayed in. There was a strong wet stench in the air. The smell made it difficult to sleep in the room and the service was equally poor. I would not recommend this hotel and I do not see myself booking a night here ever again.

• Stayed June 2015, traveled with family
Greetings from Penguin

Firstly let us say thank you for taking the time in sharing your experience with us. We truly appreciate it as we are constantly reading them for self improvement. With that said, we are very happy to know that you enjoyed our location, rooms and our awesome amenities. We understand that the best part of service is in the detail.

we would like to apologize for any inconvenience encountered for the valet service. However, we do take our guest suggestions very seriously and we will be discussing your comments on our next meeting.

Thank you again for having chosen the Penguin Hotel, we truly appreciate the opportunity to have served you!

kind regards
london
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We were only staying for two nights, we drove 4 hours from Orlando when we arrived the lady on the desk carmen Guzman was very rude she had no manners whatsoever. We were a party of four our rooms were opposite each other, our room had a horrible smell about it, we had no sidebroads to o put any of how personal belongings (unlike my sons room which did have a sideboard with draws in it) so we lived out of the suitcases. The staff who serve the breakfast were also rude no customer stills. We came back to the hotel on the first night it was about 10.20 we asked if we could have a night cap, wherein the barman said sharply no we are closed, thought it was a bit early to be closed. I would not recommend this hotel. The young lady who worked on the reception in the evening was very nice as for the hotel not nice.

• Stayed July 2015, traveled with family
JVecic, Front Office Manager at Penguin Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Greetings from the Penguin,

On behalf of the entire Penguin staff and myself, we would like to share our sincere apologies on your recent experience. Rest assured that I have personally spoken to our housekeeping department and f&b department and we will be looking further into your stay. If you could take a moment to read some of the comments below you will see that we take great pride in the cleanliness of our property and such an experience will not be tolerated.

kind regards
Buenos Aires, Argentina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The room is ok, the location is great, the people who works are great in special the made Elisa. I really very clean and the employees are so nice. Everything works. The breakfast is not very generous. A bad comentary when you take the registration they charge like 20 per day and where I paid all the week, say in small leters you must pay 20 extra box per day.. For things I never use

Room Tip: over the second flor
  • Stayed July 2015, traveled solo
Greetings from the Penguin,

Our staff and I greatly appreciate your feedback and are glad that you had such a nice experience. Thank you so much for the opportunity to serve! It's great when our guest grasp the full experience our awesome location offers and it's great that you were one of them.

Thanks again, we hope to see you back soon!

Kindest Regards,
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I stayed at the penguin hotel for three nights. The Room I stayed in was small with only one bed and the furniture was basic. Nevertheless it was enough for my stay cause i was outside the Hotel most of the time.
The location is unbeatable. You are at the beach just one jump away and on Oceans drive you have a big choice of bars and restaurants even their very expensive too
The hotel offers you complementary breakfast and wifi which is a nice thing when you want to enjoy the morning sun on the terrace with scrambled eggs and a cup of American coffee. You can also have lunch and dinner there for a acceptable average price. For example daily fresh salmon with vegetables and mashed potatoes for 17$. Most of the people who work there in the food and beverage section are very moody and superficial. For me it's important to have a comfortable "being welcome " feeling but at this place I didn't have it at all. The stuff is walking around with grumpy faces and nobody seemes to be very happy with that what he is doing. Also the stuff seemes to be always busy even when they only had 2 tables outside. I felt ignored in the most of the time. They should spend more attention to the guests around them
Exept of the supervisor which I met around the end of my stay who was making me smile for the first time there
Now enough of negative comments let's move to the very positive side
The stuff at the front office was always very friendly and open for conversations. Special greetings to the night audits and to the German colleague Elena
Special thanks also to the house keeping girl Josefa which was taking care of my burned back whenever I needed her. Never met an nice and kindly cleaner like her. Thank you very much !

Stayed July 2015, traveled solo
JVecic, Front Office Manager at Penguin Hotel, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Valued guest Fabian,