“Terrible!!!” 1 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1418 Ocean Dr, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Ranked #98 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
“Terrible!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Chose it for a family one night getaway, to spend time with my elderly dad, who is diabetic, and has a hard time getting around. Let's see, where do I begin, the hotel had no handicap ramp, and my dad had to struggle to come up the steps, I was let down that no one jumped to help him out, leaving me to do it while still holding my bags.. immediately after, the elevator got stuck on the way up, and we needed to wait for fire rescue to come and open the door. I do have to say, that they responded rather quick, about 10 min, so that was good, I guess. Rooms are in a poor condition, wallpaper was coming off the wall in the room where my husband and my nine year old son stayed, tiles were lose and cracked on the floor, and the bathroom was in very poor shape. My father's room was nicer, in terms of the view, and in a slightly better shape, although due to the heavy rain, the ceiling started leaking right over the window in the left corner. .. don't choose suit 301 or 208.... service in the downstairs restaurant was awfull, I can say that, because I myself work at a beach front hotel, and would never treat my guests as anything less than special, no matter how difficult they were. There was only one person, who actually genuinely enjoyed working there, and that was Stuart,our server on the morning of the checkout, who went above and beyond to assist us at breakfast, and for that I was greatful. This is my first review ever, it sucks that it has to be a negative one. .. I'm generally a non confrontational, an easy going person, so we didn't make any great fuss, but the front desk, knowing of all of their shortcomings, did absolutley nothing to accommodate us, and reimburse us for the crappy rooms, and horrible services. We just recently vacationed on Tulum, Mexico, in the middle of the city, and not in the resort, and our accommodations blew the Penguin Hotel out of the water in service, and room quality. Will never stay there again, even if they paid me to.

Stayed July 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We booked a night at the penguin hotel since we were going on a cruise to the bahamas the next day. We paid for the valet parking, and the lady at the front desk told us to leave our car in front of the hotel and assured us that our car would be picked up by their hired service. Many hours passed until our car was picked up, but we did not think much of this at the moment. A month after our stay at the hotel, we received a parking ticket for $45. Each time that we called the hotel to make a claim, they would redirect us to the parking service they hire. In the end nobody was willing to truly help out. After seeing that making a claim was futile, I had to pay the parking ticket. The hotel's service and the management were very poor at handling this situation. Equally poor was the room we stayed in. There was a strong wet stench in the air. The smell made it difficult to sleep in the room and the service was equally poor. I would not recommend this hotel and I do not see myself booking a night here ever again.

• Stayed June 2015, traveled with family
london
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We were only staying for two nights, we drove 4 hours from Orlando when we arrived the lady on the desk carmen Guzman was very rude she had no manners whatsoever. We were a party of four our rooms were opposite each other, our room had a horrible smell about it, we had no sidebroads to o put any of how personal belongings (unlike my sons room which did have a sideboard with draws in it) so we lived out of the suitcases. The staff who serve the breakfast were also rude no customer stills. We came back to the hotel on the first night it was about 10.20 we asked if we could have a night cap, wherein the barman said sharply no we are closed, thought it was a bit early to be closed. I would not recommend this hotel. The young lady who worked on the reception in the evening was very nice as for the hotel not nice.

• Stayed July 2015, traveled with family
JVecic, Front Office Manager at Penguin Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Greetings from the Penguin,

I would like to take a moment to thank you for your guest feedback regarding your stay with us at the Penguin Hotel. We always take our guests feedback seriously and utilize it to improve our guest satisfaction.

On behalf of the entire Penguin staff and myself, we would like to share our sincere apologies on your recent experience. Rest assured that I have personally spoken to our housekeeping department and f&b department and we will be looking further into your stay. If you could take a moment to read some of the comments below you will see that we take great pride in the cleanliness of our property and such an experience will not be tolerated.

kind regards
Buenos Aires, Argentina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The room is ok, the location is great, the people who works are great in special the made Elisa. I really very clean and the employees are so nice. Everything works. The breakfast is not very generous. A bad comentary when you take the registration they charge like 20 per day and where I paid all the week, say in small leters you must pay 20 extra box per day.. For things I never use

Room Tip: over the second flor
  • Stayed July 2015, traveled solo
Greetings from the Penguin,

Our staff and I greatly appreciate your feedback and are glad that you had such a nice experience. Thank you so much for the opportunity to serve! It's great when our guest grasp the full experience our awesome location offers and it's great that you were one of them.

Thanks again, we hope to see you back soon!

Kindest Regards,
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed at the penguin hotel for three nights. The Room I stayed in was small with only one bed and the furniture was basic. Nevertheless it was enough for my stay cause i was outside the Hotel most of the time.
The location is unbeatable. You are at the beach just one jump away and on Oceans drive you have a big choice of bars and restaurants even their very expensive too
The hotel offers you complementary breakfast and wifi which is a nice thing when you want to enjoy the morning sun on the terrace with scrambled eggs and a cup of American coffee. You can also have lunch and dinner there for a acceptable average price. For example daily fresh salmon with vegetables and mashed potatoes for 17$. Most of the people who work there in the food and beverage section are very moody and superficial. For me it's important to have a comfortable "being welcome " feeling but at this place I didn't have it at all. The stuff is walking around with grumpy faces and nobody seemes to be very happy with that what he is doing. Also the stuff seemes to be always busy even when they only had 2 tables outside. I felt ignored in the most of the time. They should spend more attention to the guests around them
Exept of the supervisor which I met around the end of my stay who was making me smile for the first time there
Now enough of negative comments let's move to the very positive side
The stuff at the front office was always very friendly and open for conversations. Special greetings to the night audits and to the German colleague Elena
Special thanks also to the house keeping girl Josefa which was taking care of my burned back whenever I needed her. Never met an nice and kindly cleaner like her. Thank you very much !

Stayed July 2015, traveled solo
Dear Valued guest Fabian,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This hotel is older but definitely NOT run down. The room was very clean and the courteous and helpful staff give it a small, family-run feel. Michael L. greeted us and made us feel right at home.

So this is not the fanciest hotel but it's a great value and it's in a great location close to everything. The free continental breakfast includes choices for everyone and your booking includes two complimentary drinks from the bar, which closes at 10 p.m. You also get two bottles of bottled water each day at no additional cost and free wifi. There's a Walgreen's drug store just around the corner if you want to stock your room's refrigerator with cheaper beverages than those offered on Ocean Drive. Our room was very quiet. We didn't see another person in the hallway during our entire weekend stay, except the cleaning lady. Check in and check out were incredibly fast. Valet parking is was nice convenience, unless you want to walk a few blocks to the parking garage.

One drawback is that there isn't much around for teens or children in the area except go to the beach. If you're traveling with teens I recommend the Ninja Lounge in North Miami. It's about 30 minutes drive and was a recommendation from the front desk. Nearby the Ninja Lounge is the Little Havana restaurant which offers wonderful, authentic Cuban food and serves generous portions. When I return to South Beach, I plan to stay at the Penguin again. You'll feel like family. Another drawback is the view from some of the rooms is the side of a neighboring building, but considering the price, courteous staff and all the amenities we didn't mind a bit. We stayed in Room 306.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a view of nothing but the neighboring building.
  • Stayed July 2015, traveled with family
JVecic, Front Office Manager at Penguin Hotel, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Greetings from the Penguin,

Thanks again, we hope to see you back soon!

Kindest Regards,
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We stayed at this boutique hotel from 7/3-7/7. First they got my room wrong! I ordered two double beds and instead they gave me a King sized bed. They noted that if you book through BookIt. com, it is first come, first serve. I asked to be on waiting list for a room with double beds and they refused. On the third day, there was a leak from the roof, where the water landed on some of my belongings and ruined some of my things. We requested to be moved to another room as they attempted to fix the leak. They moved us to a different room, where there wasn't adequate plumbing and was not clean at time of arrival. We called multiple times to get it fixed. They responded, however was never resolved.

I've stayed at different boutique at MIA, and this has to be the worse experience by far! Definitely dogding this place from now on.

• Stayed June 2015, traveled with friends
Dear Valued guest Jen,

On behalf of the entire Penguin staff and myself, we would like to share our sincere apologies on your recent experience. If you could take a moment to read some of the comments below you will see that we take great pride in the cleanliness of our property and such an experience will not be tolerated.