“Good place - only stopped for a drink!” 4 of 5 stars

Penguin Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1418 Ocean Dr, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Ranked #94 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Good place - only stopped for a drink!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Good service - although we only stopped by for a drink! The waiter was attentive and prompt. We sat outside and the view is lovely as you can watch the world go by from the shade. No complaints and the price for the drinks, considering the location, was reasobnable

Stayed June 2015

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Tustin, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Very nice bargain; great location on Ocean Avenue in the middle of everything. the rooms are very nice, exactly as shown in photos. and free breakfast/cocktails is worth the $18 resort fee! and that is my review.

Stayed June 2015, traveled as a couple
JVecic, Front Office Manager at Penguin Hotel, responded to this review, yesterday
Greetings from the Penguin,

Our staff and I greatly appreciate your feedback and are glad that you had such a nice experience. Thank you so much for the opportunity to serve! It's great when our guest grasp the full experience our awesome location offers and it's great that you were one of them.

Thanks again, we hope to see you back soon!

Kindest Regards,
Port of Spain, Trinidad
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I will preface this review by stating a most important aspect of the Penguin Hotel......it cost me just about US$100 per night inclusive of the the mandatory daily resort fee. With this said my expectations were based on the price I paid.
To love
1. Access - The hotel lies almost to the top of Ocean Drive close to 14th Street. We took the Airport Flyer Bus 150 from the Miami Airport Transport Hub to South Beach and there was a stop pretty close to the Penguin Hotel. Thus once can reach the hotel from the Airport for US$2.65 per person. Similarly the return to the airport via the bus was also simple.
2. Location - Located on Ocean Drive, the beach is a 5 mins walk away. There is also Lummus Park which separates the hotel from the beach. The hotel is sufficiently north on Ocean Drive that it is fairly quiet at nights however still close that all the essential spots are within walking distance.
3. Staff are generally very receptive and addresses the needs of the customers.
4. There is a welcome drink as part of your stay and you can redeem it on any day between 5-7.
4. WiFi is available in rooms at no extra cost (covered in resort fee)
Not to Love
1. The hotel is a bit dated. I got a room on Floor 2 and the carpet in the corridors were stuck with duct tape along the edges. There was also a bit of a musty smell in the corridors
2. Electricity went on one of the evenings for around 45mins. I suspect there is no backup generators for when power goes. Also, of the the emergency lights in the corridors only one came on during the power cut.

General
1. The breakfast that comes included as part of the resort fee is fairly basic. You are given a choice of options and they include mundane choices such as a croissant and fruit or bowl of cereal and fruit or breakfast pastry and fruit. I choose the eggs option on all the days and this was two eggs, toast and fruit. (Except for the last day when I got a fruit cup, fruit consisted of a slice of watermelon)
2. The rooms were adequate for the needed purpose. The bed was firm. However the sheets had a musty smell to them.

In closing I would recommend a stay here as the mix of price and product offers good value.

• Stayed June 2015, traveled as a couple
JVecic, Front Office Manager at Penguin Hotel, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dear Valued guest, Nis,

I would like to take a moment to thank you for your guest feedback regarding your stay with us at the Penguin Hotel. We always take our guests feedback seriously and utilize it to improve our guest satisfaction.

Thanks again, we hope to see you back soon!

Kindest Regards,
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This place was great for the price. Best thing about this we room was the bathroom. The shower was excellent. The rest of the room was just OK...you can tell they went for a modern contemporary look and did somewhat achieve it but some details about the room made it noticeable that they went low cost on a few things. But in all this os a great place to stay and I definitely recommend to anyone. Especially for the last minute weekend getaway. The staff was awesome.

Stayed June 2015, traveled as a couple
JVecic, Front Office Manager at Penguin Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago

Kind Regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed there one night with the fam and the location is outstanding. Rooms are small but we were straight at the beach. It's clean and staff is so helpful. Thanks to CArmen and Florencia from the reception and Matt at the bar is so gracious! We'll pass the word for my friends to come to this hotel. Price and staff worth it. See ya!

Stayed June 2015
Greetings from the President Hotel,

Kind Regards,
Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We booked a room for a Thursday night stay. Our only purpose was to party that night in South Beach, so we wanted a clean affordable room, walking distance to bars, to sleep in for a couple of hours & this hotel met all our needs. The resort fee included 2 drinks, 2 breakfasts, 1 specialty drink. Valet parking was $30 (cash only) & they were fast & professional. We got a standard room & it was a comfortable size for 2 adults. The room was clean & equipped with everything we needed. I would stay here again for 1 night. I paid $84 or $88 (including resort fee) & it was definitely worth it for me. I have paid a lot more for smaller crappier rooms further from Ocean Drive.

Stayed June 2015, traveled as a couple
JVecic, Front Office Manager at Penguin Hotel, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Valued Guest Lady,

I greatly appreciate for taking the time taken in leaving us with your comments. We are very glad to that you enjoyed our very convenient location.

Thank you again for leaving us with your feedback and for the opportunity to serve.

hope to see you again.

kind regards
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

The place is beatifull near to a beatiful beach the breakfast is free very very good the staff was very friendly The hotel is very quiet the room is confortable very clean the housekeeping josefa was very frienly she clean a room and organized very good the supervisor raiza Answer all of my question I will refere this hotels to my friend

• Stayed June 2015

Kind Regards

Been to Penguin Hotel? Share your experiences!