“Awesome staff” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1418 Ocean Dr, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #94 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
“Awesome staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My step daughter and I stayed at Penguin Hotel during the 2015 SOBEFEST. We arrived early, the hotel was fully booked, but the staff kept up comfortable until a room was ready. By noon they had us in the room. Stewart made us delicious Shake your Penguin cocktails that came out in the cutest Penguin shaker. Scott guided us to great work out spots and massages. Brittany and Veronica always had a warm welcoming smile and made us feel the Penguin was home. Eva you did a great job staffing your hotel.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Leipzig, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This hotel is hard to review for me because it had some very good but also some bad aspects for us. The best thing is its location. It is part of the wonderfull Art Deco District - and only a few steps to the sea. The rooms are extremly nice and modern decorated and we had unbeatable sea view. This hotel was the most expensive on our 2 weeks US-Tour. Additional there is a "resort fee" (which includes breakfast and welcome drink as well as some other things like WiFi and discount in the restaurant) and a fee for the valet parking. The included breakfast is basic but was ok for us. All staff members were very, very friendly and extremly helpfull. The A/C in our room was not working properly. So far I would rate this hotel 4 stars. But due to the one huge cockroach in our room i can give only 3 stars.

Punta del Este, Maldonado, Uruguay
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We booked a 2 bed room directly with the hotel 4 months in advance. Upon arrival we were told the room did not exist. The only thing you could offer was a room with one bed. I was travelling with my sister and her son and there was no way we could share the same bed. You dont have to be Conrad Hilton to know that a hotel might be fully booked but it is very unlikely that it would be fully occupied by 4pm. So, I suspect there were plenty of rooms with two queen beds available which were simply denied to us. This is a very bad policy in my understanding, as you one must deal with problems as they arise and solve the rest of the puzzle later. Back to hotel management school you Penguin!

I agreed to the one bed option plus a roll-on for me, after a discount on the rate was negotiated. But once we were in our new room (minus the roll on bed) we are told that this is no longer possible because they had no roll-on beds!. Now, how silly can you get?

Finally, and just before I threw a tantrum there and then, a room with two beds appears. It had always been there. Only utterly incompetent managerial practices would have concealed it from two people with a screaming and tired 5 years old child in the first place.

As far as the rate reduction (which included waiving a "resort fee" which included breakfast), this vanished the minute we got the new room. I assumed (my fault) that this resort fee would be waived in any case in compensation for all the stress, aggravation, hassle and strain caused by this incompetent outfit. So, we did not use any of the RESORT FACILITIES, not even breakfast, and yet we were charged for all. It is disgraceful.

In addition to all these pathetic management blunders, the place is dated, fraying at the edges, and somewhat dirty. Stay well away from the Penguin. There is plenty of other art deco hotels in Ocean Drive.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms
Bern, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Most of the things at penguin were horrible exept EVA and the receptionists. Eva was always very friendly, she wasn't an actrice, she did a great job in the hotel penguin, I liked the way she spoke to the guests.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
AlexeisE37, Guest Relations Manager at Penguin Hotel, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Hello Arben,

Thank you so much for taking the time in giving us your feedback. While it is disappointing to know that our property did not meet your standards we are glad that you had a great experience with our staff. Particularly with Eva! I will be sure to absolutely pass on your good graces with her as I'm sure that it will bring a warm smile to her face. However, a hotel with such awesome staff can't possibly be that horrible.

Thank you again for the opportunity to serve.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

EVA IS THE BET :) ask for her!! She will most deff take care of you I promise :) ok I loved her she really made my stay worth while! The hotel was great! Got a free upgrade and everything! Complimentary drinks! They hold your bags! They give u beach towels! What more can u ask for! LOVED IT! LOVE EVA !!!!!!

Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Hello Oscar,

Firstly allow us to say thank you leaving us with your wonderful comments. It's great to see that you had such a wonderful time and enjoyed our drinks! It's always such a great feeling when our fully enjoy their stay and enjoy our staff so much. I will definitely pass on your commendation to Eva.
Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you come back really soon!

Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We went to Miami for a family trip, the hotel is excellent, clean and the photos you see in the advertising are real. The location is excellent near to Lincoln Road, Española Way and in front of the beach. They have great staff and the restaurant is very good.

Room Tip: The corner room is excellent, amazing view.
Hello Rivera,

Thank you so much for visiting us from all the way in Puerto Rico! We really appreciate you taking the time to leave us with some wonderful comments. It's great to see that you enjoyed our awesome location and staff. We can agree, being located in the heart Miami Beach definitely has it's conveniences! Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you back soon!

Penguin Hotel Miami Beach
Poznan, Poland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Stayed at the Penguin Hotel on South Beach for about 5 nights as I had business with FIU in Miami and did not want to be in a boring city hotel and rather be in the heat of the action.

All the hotels on Ocean drive allow you to experience all the crazy quirkiness of Miami but for me service is always a make or break.

The staff at the Penguin hotel operate like a finely tuned machine and have been extremely attentive during my stay. It was honestly a level of service on par with hotels in Europe (where I live). Too often I encounter friendly but not efficient staff in the USA, here at the Penguin they seem to have found the perfect balance. Credit must be given to the manager Eva who you are guaranteed to meet while staying at the Penguin (she has quite a personality). And judging by the constant business flow the Penguin has from both in house and out of house guests, this place is appreciated by a broad spectrum of people.

The location cannot be beat with the beach just a one minute walk across the street. But it is the little things which make it for me, such as the free beach towel service, free breakfast, happy hours, excellent music and the balcony which puts you at an ideal level to observe all the passers by as well as the high end Autos driving by. The rooms are not the most ornate but they are kept very clean, and in Miami let's be honest how much time do you spend in the room anyway?

If you are looking for a perfect little hotel to experience all that South Beach offers, be well taken care of and don't want to break the bank, I highly recommend the Penguin.

Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
AlexeisE37, Guest Relations Manager at Penguin Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Greetings from The Penguin,

Wow, thank you so much for your kind and awesome comments! It's always such a pleasure and joy when our guest have such a full experience. I will be sure to personally share your wonderful commendations with the rest of the staff as I'm sure that they will love them, especially our manager Eva. We also feel that service should be the number one priority for any hospitality property as we are in the business of creating special moments and wonderful experience for all of our guest. Thank you again for your amazing words and we truly hope to see you back sometime soon.

Reputation Management
The Penguin Hotel Miami Beach

Been to Penguin Hotel? Share your experiences!