“Less than great” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #100 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Orlando, Florida
“Less than great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

+Check-in was fast simple and easy

-Hallway to room didn't smell great

+Room itself was a good size, overall clean, view of the ocean

-Mini-fridge was off when we got there, though i wouldn't say this was entirely their fault. The plug was just loose from the socket and just needed plugged all the way in.

-Turned a/c off for a second and it would not turn back on. Tv remote didn't work either. From the time i called the front desk to the time it was fixed was about 90 minutes. Whites on the tv were way blown out as well, but i just wanted to get on with the stay instead of having maintenance there for most of it. Tv was watchable, just not ideal.

-Could easily hear someone in the next room through the wall on their phone.

+Location was great, right down the road from every bar and right on the beach.

+We got 2 welcome drinks on arrival. ordered 2 Cuba Libre's (coke and rum). It was pretty good. Wasn't watered down or cheap.

-only 2 outlets on the entire room, 1 had the tv plugged in, the other was by the bed with the fridge plugged in.

+Overall stay was comfortable. Still cheaper than most hotels on the beach.

-They were charging $30 to valet park my car. Parked it myself in the parking garage down the road for $20.

Didn't have breakfast, so no opinions there.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Jenny K, Guest Relations Manager at Penguin Hotel, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
We are very happy that you loved our location and the welcome drinks. We apologize for the maintenance and noise inconveniences you encountered. We are always striving to improve and your comments help us know what we need to focus on, thank you. We will take each of your suggestions into careful consideration. We hope to see you again the next time the beach calls to you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Miami Beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed on our way to a cruise. Our room was on the first floor right next to the kitchen. Nice room but noisy until after midnight. Free continental breakfast did not look very good, we ended up dining at the Penguin instead of the offered freebie. Overall the stay was enjoyable.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Jenny K, Guest Relations Manager at Penguin Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
We hope you had a great cruise! We are very sorry for the noise from the kitchen and any inconvenience it caused you. It sounds like you enjoyed the Purple Penguin Café! We hope to see you again in the future.
Fort Myers, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

Carmen @ front desk was very personable & friendly! Went out of her way to accommodate me as I needed 2 beds as was traveling with another adult. She did some rearranging & came up with an a fabulous solution! Live in Ft. Myers, FL & go to South Beach 4-6 times a year and really appreciate Carmen's friendly welcoming personality. Room was clean, airy & bright. Welcome drinks were great & bartender very friendly. Complimentary breakfast was okay. Would gladly stay here again!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Lori M, Guest Relations Manager at Penguin Hotel, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Hi Dave. We’ll be sure to let Carmen know you appreciated her help and thanks so much for sharing your experience with everyone on TripAdvisor. Friendly and welcoming is always the goal and it’s awesome to hear we achieved that. Please come stay again soon.
LongIsland, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

Located in the heart of the busy Art Deco district, as expected, this old building has small rooms, small bathrooms, and narrow hallways. We had two 3rd floor Ocean-view rooms, one with a corner view. Both rooms were updated with great beach and Ocean Drive views.

The staff is very nice, helpful, and friendly. Have a long lunch on the patio and get to know everyone, it's part of this hotel's charm (and the food is very good.) While you're there, order the unlimited Bellini's (Champagne w/ peach puree) and people watch! Great location for that!

Room Tip: Upgrade your room to corner ocean-view
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Cheers to you, BeachingItAgain! Thanks for the helpful tips and the kudos to our staff. We’re so glad you liked our updates. See you again soon!
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

The front desk personnel were all very pleasant and helpful. The hotel is clean and an awesome value for its perfect location. Nothing fancy, but I had a good stay here. I didn't even get to take advantage of the freebies-wifi,breakfast, welcome drinks, but I have a feeling I'll stay here again soon.

• Stayed March 2014
Jenny K, Guest Relations Manager at Penguin Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
It is always fantastic to hear that you fully enjoyed your stay with us! We can’t wait to see you again when you are next in town.
demaileron
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

This is by for the best location in South Beach! It is worth it to stay here. This place is just steps away from the Atlantic Ocean.

Just a wonderful staff, excellent rooms, and walking distance to all major attractions. Just be warned that parking is a bit tricky, as it is anywhere in South Beach.

I truly look forward to my return!

Stayed January 2014
Jenny K, Guest Relations Manager at Penguin Hotel, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
We are thrilled you enjoyed our location; we love it here! For your next visit; we do offer valet parking if you’re interested. We can’t wait to see you again!
Englewood, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

Location was perfect and this is why I booked here. Staff was exceptionally friendly, however room was not very clean (first room had what felt like Vaseline all over things in the bathroom and huge chips in the bath tub, second room had clumps of hair on the floor).

Original room was off of the lobby next to a heavy glass fire door that separated the hallway from the lobby. Each time someone used the door it would slam loudly (avoid 1st floor, especially room 108). Front desk staff can’t do anything without the manager who was back in the morning. My nightly rate through booking.com with tax and 'resort fee' was $341.

When I asked the woman at the front desk who thought I had just walked in if there were rooms available, she told me she had an ocean view room on the second floor for $650 for all three nights vs. nearly $1050 I was paying. After she found out I was already staying at the hotel, she told me that I could move to an ocean view room on the second floor for $50 more a night. She said she couldn't move me without the manager and because I already paid for the first night, she couldn't do anything but offer to move me for more $$$, which wasn't going to happen.

I asked her to deduct the $341 off of the $650, move us upstairs and change our reservation but she wasn't empowered to do anything but take my money. The next morning we spoke to someone else who moved us to the back of the hotel on the third floor. No change on the hotel rates. Going forward, I won't pre-book hotels in South Beach as the prices are far cheaper once there, even if it means I have to move hotels during my stay (Penguin was $179, Hilton was $699 when I checked, but once there I looked and it was $182).

I would stay here again, based on location and price.

Room Tip: Upper floors away from Ocean and the lobby.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
We are thrilled that you loved our location; we couldn't' agree more. We are very sorry for the housekeeping issues you encountered during your stay. We want to always offer a fantastic stay, and your comments help us know where we need to improve, thank you. We also apologize for the frustration you felt over the noise and room rates. Again, we will take your comments into careful consideration. We can't wait to see you again.