“Good and Bad=Average” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #93 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Vienna, Austria
“Good and Bad=Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

South Beach hotels for decent prices are almost always hit or miss, and this is a combo of both.

Location is great. The room was bright, clean, large, though a mirrored wall was a little much. Bathroom also very clean and a nice size, so no complaints there. A/C was an under-the-window unit like lots of Ocean Drive older hotels have. Front desk staff quite friendly!

The hallways are the WORST I have ever seen (and I have seen some pretty bad ones in my younger days when I could only afford real dive places). Dark in color, bad paint job, ugly ugly carpet, grossly inadequate light, even ugly doors and door signs. About $150 worth of paint and lighting per floor would make a HUGE difference here.

The bed was two singles shoved together, and not very comfortable--lumpy mattress.

They wanted a resort fee for the internet and a breakfast, but since we were leaving quite early we opted out. At least it was optional--lots of times SoBe hotels are on the rip-off bandwagon of making these undisclosed fees mandatory.

So, all in all, not bad, but certainly not luxury.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Veronica S, General Manager at Penguin Hotel, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear BKCarolina,
I have to be honest with you, I agree with you that our hallways could be nicer but you'd be surprised how many people think our "money rain" images are a true conversation piece...Thanks for the nice comments though and to the bad ones, I promise you we will try our best to resolve. You take care!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
North Canton, Ohio, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Overall it was a simple hotel with some nice little touches. The staff was nice. The room was not super awesome but not bad. If you're looking for a cheap place to stay and if you're not going to hanging out in the hotel room all day then this is a good place to stay.
My only compliant is the size of the bathroom and how the shower area was designed. If you're not careful when taking a shower you can end up with a lot of water on the bathroom floor. The hallways, at least on the second floor where I was, were dark blue and the lighting was poor. Their free continental breakfast is very simple with toast, cereal, fruit, juice and coffee, but you can order bigger breakfasts as well.

My 4 night/5 day trip was good for staying at this hotel. For the location I am overall pleased.
They charge a $15 resort fee per day that gives you 2 free happy hour drinks between 5-7PM, the wireless internet password, and access to use of beach towels and chairs.

There isn't any on property parking, but there is a city parking garage at 13th St. and Collins Ave. that is about a block and a half away, which isn't a far walk. The cost is $20 for 24 hours of parking. They also offer valet parking but I didn't use their service.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dustin1980,
Thanks for your comments! I believe they show the true essence of who we are, a boutique hotel on a great location with very affordable rates. Come back soon!
Tampa, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I stayed here for one night on Monday December 10th. The rooms are small but they are decorated really cute. Also if you are on vacation especially in South Beach you will probably not be spending much time in the room anyways. Also, the front desks girls were very nice and friendly, which unfortunately is not the norm in Miami Beach.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Hey Leianna,
Awesome review! We do have a group of amazing people working here; unlike other places in South Beach we strive to always make our guests feel at home. Thanks.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

we love the ocian drive perfect located for the beach, lovely restaurants and close to the lincoln road. the penguin is okey and the stuff very friendly. but overall we had already better hotels for similar prices in this area. so i have to say our stay was this time ratter disappointing, over all the creapy corridor and old fashion standard in rooms and lobby.

• Stayed December 2012
Hey Studerni,
Sorry about your disappointing experience! Better luck next time with a different hotel! Thanks!
Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I arrived without a prior booking, which was our plan, but they charged us $50 more than the rate I could have had on this site. The location is superb, although one night's car parking will cost you $20, even if you barter and $34 if you don't. The hotel is a throw-back. The corridors feel like something in a prison and although the rooms are clean, they are really basic and tacky. The worst part of our stay was the bed; it had a depression in the centre which left my wife and I feeling like we we clinging on to the side of a hill on either side of the bed! We complained in the morning and were told by the man ager, that all the rooms were like this - no discount!

Room Tip: Insist on seeing the rooms and the beds first, or just pick another hotel!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Veronica S, General Manager at Penguin Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Angus,
We are currently exchanging all beds at the Penguin. I apologize if you still had to sleep on one of the old beds. The information you received from our manager is completely incorrect and not all rooms have the same bed because as I said, we are replacing them as we speak and this process should be completed by mid December 2012. In regards to the valet parking, I'm not sure what you meant by $20 or $34. It is in fact $30/night for valet service otherwise you can try street parking but we do not recommend that as meters are free only from 3 am to 9 am, meaning you'd have to keep feeding the meter until 3 am. It is $1.75/hour for the meters. Thanks for staying with us though!
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

You definitely get your bang for the bucks here! The rooms are very bright and clean. Obviously there have been upgrades to this older building. No view from the room, but alas you can sit in the front under the awning and people watch! The full breakfast menu was awesome, I had the omelet for $8 and it was great! They do have a free continental breakfast but we didn't make it in time. The free cocktail at happy hour was a nice way to wind down from a day of running around. The bartenders were funny and personable. The reservationist was very informative and could answer any questions, like how to and how much to get from the airport to the hotel. Only down side was the front desk staff never broke a smile. The place is solid and you don't hear any neighbors. I would highly recommend the hotel and would return myself.

Room Tip: The room with one bed is rather tight, and did not have a window. The room with two queens was much...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Veronica S, General Manager at Penguin Hotel, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Hey Happycustomer01,
Thanks for your review! Come back soon!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

There were stains and hair on my sheets! I asked the front desk the next morning for them to be changed, they were not. I then found the card in the room which you lay on your bed to have the linens changed, again they were not. This is the filthiest hotel I have ever stayed at! Location was great & the patio restaurant was nice, but I cringed having to go to my room!

• Stayed October 2012
Veronica S, General Manager at Penguin Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear Heh 86,
This must have been a huge misunderstanding...If anything, I can tell you that our most common "flaw" is to change the bedsheets too often, even when guests don't request this service. I am extremely surprised to hear that the opposite happened to you. In any case, I apologize for what you had to go through while staying with us. On the other hand your room phone has a button that calls Housekeeping Dept directly; you could have requested your bedsheets to be exchanged immediately and we would have done so in less than 10 min. Thanks for letting us know about our inconvenience though.

Been to Penguin Hotel? Share your experiences!