“Exceeds my expectations” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #91 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Maryland
“Exceeds my expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

You definitely get your bang for the bucks here! The rooms are very bright and clean. Obviously there have been upgrades to this older building. No view from the room, but alas you can sit in the front under the awning and people watch! The full breakfast menu was awesome, I had the omelet for $8 and it was great! They do have a free continental breakfast but we didn't make it in time. The free cocktail at happy hour was a nice way to wind down from a day of running around. The bartenders were funny and personable. The reservationist was very informative and could answer any questions, like how to and how much to get from the airport to the hotel. Only down side was the front desk staff never broke a smile. The place is solid and you don't hear any neighbors. I would highly recommend the hotel and would return myself.

Room Tip: The room with one bed is rather tight, and did not have a window. The room with two queens was much...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Veronica S, General Manager at Penguin Hotel, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Hey Happycustomer01,
Thanks for your review! Come back soon!

569 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

There were stains and hair on my sheets! I asked the front desk the next morning for them to be changed, they were not. I then found the card in the room which you lay on your bed to have the linens changed, again they were not. This is the filthiest hotel I have ever stayed at! Location was great & the patio restaurant was nice, but I cringed having to go to my room!

• Stayed October 2012
Veronica S, General Manager at Penguin Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear Heh 86,
This must have been a huge misunderstanding...If anything, I can tell you that our most common "flaw" is to change the bedsheets too often, even when guests don't request this service. I am extremely surprised to hear that the opposite happened to you. In any case, I apologize for what you had to go through while staying with us. On the other hand your room phone has a button that calls Housekeeping Dept directly; you could have requested your bedsheets to be exchanged immediately and we would have done so in less than 10 min. Thanks for letting us know about our inconvenience though.
Yellowknife
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

On the plus side, it's on the ocean front and has air conditioning. The bathroom is clean. Otherwise, it's basically a dump. There's an overhead light but no reading lights. The drapes don't completely close. The floor is grey tile and doesn't look particularly clean. There's exposed piping in th room. The hallways look dumpy. Taxi fare from the Amtrak station is about $40.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
My dear Solo_Female_12,
We are so sorry you were not able to enjoy your stay at the Penguin Hotel. In regards to some of your concerns, I've got to say you are one of the only guests that have requested a reading light in South Beach....South Beach is a party place, not too many guests come here to read but I understand your point. The exposed piping you mention are called sprinkler system and yes, even though they are as ugly as they come, we cannot cover them otherwise in case of fire, our guests would be in great danger. Aside from that, I'm glad to hear you thought are bathrooms were clean and our location was good. Thanks for your review.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Lust in Space huge bed, great room with great views not of the beach but great bodies stripping off next door. The room was clean and a quite place to sleep after a noisy night on the Drive. The staff were great and really helpful and friendly. Bonus was the guest Happy Hours many thanks for that.
We had a great stay and beginning to our wonderful trip around Florida. Thanks for the great tips for eating on the Keys and I hope the guy who's kids were reading the Hunger Games decided to read himself. Anyone who decides to stay here should go with a free spirit and remember that Miami is for Fun and an experience well worth having. If we ever return to Miami the Penguin will be where we stay. Thanks for the Fun.

Room Tip: Lust in space huge bed a good quite nights sleep
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Veronica S, General Manager at Penguin Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you Gina for this review! You are the best!
Grand Rapids, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

We spent the night at the Penguin Hotel hotel and still feel itchy when I think about it. It looks ok when you first walk into your room but soon you will wish you were staying somewhere else. The bathrooms are not clean. The rim around the sink was clearly not wiped down. It appears that the seat and rim of the toilet were cleaned but the rest of it was not. We found a HUGE cockroach in the bathroom and then one under the bed.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear USANEIL,
We have biweekly pest control inspections so I am very surprised to hear that you found 2 roaches in your room.
In any case we will take care of this issue to make sure it doesn't happen to any other guest in the future. Thanks for your comments.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

I was in Miami for a couple of days and I have heard for friends about staying in ocean drive, something like bad coustomer service or low standards of accommodation well let me tell you for my experience that I had a blast , no complains at all , my stay at the penguin was more than I expected, very good service , clean and comfortable, will be back for sure next time by south beach!

• Stayed October 2012
Veronica S, General Manager at Penguin Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Hey perritus,
Thanks so much for taking the time to write this review. It makes us feel like it's all worth it!
Should you come back to South Beach, please contact us directly and we will take good care of you.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

This place is the best Hotel to stay in South Beach, everyone was super friendly and accomodating that we were planing to extend our reservation. Unfortunately, they were very busy on the weekend so we had to leave, but I will come back for sure. We loved it. Thanks to all.

TortorasFlas,
Thanks so much for this great comment! Come back soon!

Been to Penguin Hotel? Share your experiences!