“Unbelievably Filthy Property” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Seagull Hotel Miami South Beach

You added Seagull Hotel Miami South Beach to your Saves list
Seagull Hotel Miami South Beach
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 21st Street at Collins Ave, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (Formerly Days Inn South Beach)   |
Ranked #173 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Mission Viejo, CA
“Unbelievably Filthy Property”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Late December, my wife and were debarked from a Cruise ship due to illness. Before we were able to return home (Calif.), we had to spend 2 nights in Miami, waiting for our return flight to Los Angeles. Miami hotels were all full (New Year's Season), unluckily, we found a room for the 2 night layover in the SEAGULL HOTEL MIAMI BEACH, 100-21 STREET, MIAMI BEACH, LF 33139; (305)538-6631. My wife (unfortunate illness contracted, bronchial pneumonia), said "this is the filthiest run down property I've ever stayed in during my lifetime." The odor in the lobby, may be a Miami venue thing, however our pre cruise hotel "Hyatt Coral Gables," had none of these similarities. I made many hazard observations that raise points of concern for health and safety, certainly worthy of a comprehensive property inspection.
1) Hotel elevator, one of 2 were shut down with a sign indicating remodeling. Bet that sign has been in place for some time! The other operational elevator was posted inside "ELEVATOR CERTIFICATE ON FILE AT THE MANAGERS OFFICE." Due to the dismal operating condition of this remaining elevator, I'd really be curious to know who the maintenance company is and when this elevator was last inspected or serviced?
2) We were given our room for check in, #110 at 3:40PM, was beyond description the condition and cleanliness on a scale of 1 to 10 was a minus 100, unacceptable! Then they wanted to move us into an upstairs room, my wife severely handicapped rejected that possibility due to the operational condition of the elevators. We were subsequently put into another room, which was probably a minus 80 on the above mentioned scale. Due to our emergency circumstance (weariness and illness) we had no other choice. I vigorously used my Clorox wipes and we attempted to prepare for our 2 night internment.
3) Some of the safety hazards/issues, noted and photographed were:
a) Questionable elevator certification hotel lobby.
b) Room cleanliness totally unacceptable.
c) Room corner floor lamp, no light switch, plug in only (defective plug, slipped back from prongs over wire electrical exposure, uncertain if outlet was grounded).
d) Other room wiring had wire exposures (looked amateur, possible code violations).
e) Broken porcelain sink in bathroom, not secure on wall.
f) Toilet seat had missing chip on seat, sitting hazard.
g) Building sprinkler in bathroom had latex paint covering detector.
h) Bathroom condition filthy, floor and corner areas.
i) Tub had fiberglass chip, sharp edge in bottom of tub.
j) Tile riser at entry to bathroom had chipped exposed sharp edge to tile.
k) No room rate posting, posting receptacle empty.
l) Room entry key card worked erratically.
m) Nuisance, television, looked like a New England snow storm.
This was a true slumlord experience, the people who own this property surely don't give a hoot!
Moral of the story, read the reviews and listen to the worst 5 reviews about a hotel before you book!

Room Tip: Anywhere else but here!
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
fkennedy, Manager at Seagull Hotel Miami South Beach, responded to this review, 5 days ago
We are very sorry you had such a disappointing stay after your cruise. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know so we can look into your concerns.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The hotel has a rating of 2,5 stars. Indeed it is not even a motel class. We are a family of 4. We had 2 kingside beds. Which is good. But the size of the room was really tiny. By the time we arrive it was check in time. The main office was closed. We waited about 30 minutes, and nobody showed up. Only when we called the telephone, a person came to us. Then when we got into our room, it was not cleaned, the floor was dirty, the bed was not made up, there was no hair drier.
So we had to call a service person to make up at least the beds. Everything was filthy(((
The water in the shower was not draining, so all of the water we showered was standing for a couple of hours. Yukky!!! There was dirt everywhere. The window in the shower was clear with no shades or curtain, so anybody could see you showing, and the room was visible from the street.
The parking we paid for was not guaranteed, meaning if you leave somewhere you need to go, and come back your spot would be taken. That's exactly what happened. We drove away for dining and when we came back our spot was taken. What we paid for I don't know.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your review, we do not have two kings size beds in any rooms and we do not have a main office but a front desk that is open 24 hours. Unfortunately in South Beach there are very limited parking facilities the hotel does not have any spaces but there is a local lot across the street.
Providence, Rhode Island
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My brother and I stayed here a year ago. To this date, I kid you not, it was the worst experience I have ever had in a hotel. The AC soaked the carpets, the room smelled disgusting, water pressure was a trickle, hair and dirt all over the room. To top it off, after a long night of drinking I was woken up by a staff member 2 hours before check out very abruptly. The guy came into our room grabbed me by the arm and started pulling me out of the room saying it is checkout time. It was 9 am and checkout is at 11 am. I've never been so mortified in my life. After expressing our extreme displeasure with the manager at the front desk he proceeded to tell us he didn't care and to leave. I'll spare the nasty details but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE from a fellow traveler to another do not book this hotel. Don't do it because it's cheap, just do not take the chance. You're better off sleeping in your car or on a park bench, I'm not kidding.

Room Tip: Do anything in your power to get a refund if you have already booked...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
thank you for your review of your stay from a year ago. We do not have any record of your complaints and we do not send anyone to the rooms to forcibly remove our guests. I wish you a happy and healthy new year
Annapolis, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The best thing about this hotel were the staff. Pleasant, friendly, and very professional despite the debacle.

We tried two rooms and left, heading to the nearest hotel available which was Boca Raton.
The first room was moldy, with part of the wall having significant water damage and falling apart when we touched it, not to mention the smell. The beds and sheets had stains on them.

The second room had water damage, an air conditioner that was falling out of the wall, a seat with multiple stains and many blobs of stuff on the walls. I took pictures of the second room - disgusting! Should have taken pictures of the first too.

ALSO, note that there is no parking. Parking is at a parking lot across the street in 1-3 hour increments at $1.75/hour. You can only pay in 3 hour increments! There is a parking garage on 17th and 20th.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Greensboro, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Book parking www.miamibeachparking.net on line $30 or pay $33 at lot. The hotel is weary but comfortable and clean. The pool is large but not heated. Nice walk to the restaurants at 12 th. Street about 1mi. A lot close bye. Beach is nice near the Hotel.

Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Ipswich, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2014

the first thing you notice upon entering the hotel was the awful smell, the decoration is extremely poor and I found a hair in my "deluxe" bed. the bed sheets were ripped i presume the once, white pillowcases, were not white any more and were unironed the pillows in the pillowcases were stained . 2 of the 4 lights didn't work, curtains were ripped and filthy, there is no duvet, only a thin nylon blanket also hair in the bathroom and in the shower/bath. very little is dusted and plaster work is falling off the walls. the clothes drawers are dirty and one even has the bottom falling out of it!! there are Styrofoam cups for the bathroom cups and coffee cups . the seating chairs were stained, the table by the seats not cleaned properly. the hotel charges you 2 dollars for the luxury of having a safe, there was a pubic hair in the bedside cabinet drawer.The sign on the door says that the maximum daily rate is $599.00 REALLY?? anyone who pays that is, well..... plus side it has a plasma TV Wi-Fi and coffee maker, but no kettle for tea. my "deluxe" room on floor 5 has sea views and balcony with 2 plastic (dirty) chairs but this is little consolation when I think about having to sleep in this bed tonight. my welcome by the front desk staff was not friendly and there is no porter service, only one lift works. breakfast is $12 per adult I paid more for this hotel, than the south beach hotel which is only a few yards away and was spotlessly clean, luxurious, modern, had a breakfast included and cheaper. My strongest advice is to go to the south beach hotel and not this one.

Room Tip: if you really have to stay here get a beach view room higher than floor 4 but I cant imagine there...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled solo
fkennedy, Manager at Seagull Hotel Miami South Beach, responded to this review, 5 weeks ago
I am very sorry that you did not like our hotel and appreciate you taking the time to let us know, we are glad you found a hotel that suited your needs and wish you a happy and healthy new year
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2014

This hotel is on 21st St. It is approximately 5 blocks from all the action on South Beach. It is an older hotel and is in bad need of a lot of TLC. Mold, Mildew, and rust can be found in the bathroom, The hallways are dark and musty smelling. The elevator that I heard was out of order 6 months ago (and being fixed according to the manager) is still out of order.

On the good side, the front desk staff were wonderful. Friendly, helpful, and accommodating in every way! If only the rooms were as bright and friendly as the front staff this hotel would be a gold mine!

Room Tip: I only spent one night at this hotel. It was ok for one night. I wouldn't bring a date there...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for staying at the Seagull and taking the time to write a review. We are happy that the front desk staff brightened your stay and we will be freshening up the hotel, hopefully on your next visit you will see the improvement. thank you again and have a happy and healthy new year

Been to Seagull Hotel Miami South Beach? Share your experiences!