“yuck” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Seagull Hotel Miami South Beach

You added Seagull Hotel Miami South Beach to your Saves list
Seagull Hotel Miami South Beach
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 21st Street at Collins Ave, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (Formerly Days Inn South Beach)   |
Ranked #172 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“yuck”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

the first thing you notice upon entering the hotel was the awful smell, the decoration is extremely poor and I found a hair in my "deluxe" bed. the bed sheets were ripped i presume the once, white pillowcases, were not white any more and were unironed the pillows in the pillowcases were stained . 2 of the 4 lights didn't work, curtains were ripped and filthy, there is no duvet, only a thin nylon blanket also hair in the bathroom and in the shower/bath. very little is dusted and plaster work is falling off the walls. the clothes drawers are dirty and one even has the bottom falling out of it!! there are Styrofoam cups for the bathroom cups and coffee cups . the seating chairs were stained, the table by the seats not cleaned properly. the hotel charges you 2 dollars for the luxury of having a safe, there was a pubic hair in the bedside cabinet drawer.The sign on the door says that the maximum daily rate is $599.00 REALLY?? anyone who pays that is, well..... plus side it has a plasma TV Wi-Fi and coffee maker, but no kettle for tea. my "deluxe" room on floor 5 has sea views and balcony with 2 plastic (dirty) chairs but this is little consolation when I think about having to sleep in this bed tonight. my welcome by the front desk staff was not friendly and there is no porter service, only one lift works. breakfast is $12 per adult I paid more for this hotel, than the south beach hotel which is only a few yards away and was spotlessly clean, luxurious, modern, had a breakfast included and cheaper. My strongest advice is to go to the south beach hotel and not this one.

Room Tip: if you really have to stay here get a beach view room higher than floor 4 but I cant imagine there...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This hotel is on 21st St. It is approximately 5 blocks from all the action on South Beach. It is an older hotel and is in bad need of a lot of TLC. Mold, Mildew, and rust can be found in the bathroom, The hallways are dark and musty smelling. The elevator that I heard was out of order 6 months ago (and being fixed according to the manager) is still out of order.

On the good side, the front desk staff were wonderful. Friendly, helpful, and accommodating in every way! If only the rooms were as bright and friendly as the front staff this hotel would be a gold mine!

Room Tip: I only spent one night at this hotel. It was ok for one night. I wouldn't bring a date there...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We stayed there for 2 nights in a room for 2 with 2 queen size beds.

Pros: service was excellent, the staff was very friendly and helpful. The location was great, almost on the beach! Nearest grocery store was also close (5min walk), restaurants and other shops only about 10 min walk away. Free wifi that worked well!

Cons:
The room was old! The bed sheets, curtains and towels were almost terrible... A good clean up and new towels would make a big difference! Also the walls were so thin that u could hear the people talking next door or the street noise. However, the hotel was located on a smaller street so there were not that much traffic etä noise During the night.

• Stayed November 2014
fkennedy, Manager at Seagull Hotel Miami South Beach, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
thank you for your review, we are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, yes we are an older property and we look forward to upgrading our property soon. We hope when you come back you will see a positive change, have a very happy thanksgiving
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2014

Location was great, we were even upgraded if you can call it that to an Ocean View room. Although Hotel is "OLD" and in deperate need of a renovation, my friends and I were on a budget so we knew not to expect the Ritz. We didn't worry about the rude staff as we spent our time enjoying the beauty of Miami with new and old friends and only bother the Hotel staff when we needed towels. Which by the way one of us had to go downstairs to the lobby to get as there was NO ROOM SERVICE. Oh and there is no parking only a Municpal lot across the street, which you have to pay the meter every couple of hours until 3:00am., then it's free until 9:00am. And one other thing, the Hotel is invest with mosquitoes so do bring your bug spray.

Room Tip: If you are looking for luxury, this ain't the place.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
fkennedy, Manager at Seagull Hotel Miami South Beach, responded to this review, November 14, 2014
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write a review. We are very much looking forward to our renovation soon and hope you will come back next year and see improvements. I am very sorry if anyone was rude to you there is no excuse for poor service. As far as parking unfortunately there is nothing we can do about that as parking in South Beach is very limited we are more fortunate than others to have the public lot across from us as an option.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2014

THE WORST HOTEL YOU CAN EVER FIND, even the motels were much nicer. The staff working there were HORRIBLE to us, so was the manager. The lift kept breaking down, no parking even though we weren't informed about it. They also robbed the money from our bank account, they took twice the amount we were asked to pay and they were getting cheeky about it, the manager and the staff at the desk are disgraceful worst people ever. DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR CARD DETAILS!!!!!!!! Fire the manager and the staff!! and clean the hotel so disappointed, will be taking you to court over robbing the money!!!!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
fkennedy, Manager at Seagull Hotel Miami South Beach, responded to this review, October 28, 2014
I am very sorry you had a bad experience however if your room is not prepaid we do collect the payment in advance, if there is a problem and you feel you were overcharged please contact us directly and we will be happy to help you resolve this with your bank.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2014

Although our stay wasn't that bad the hotel itself is horrible. It's old, it's beat up and the staff definitely doesn't give a crap about you. If you don't need help or anything extra no worries. My friend and I stayed 4 nights. The room was basic and for the most part clean but there was mold in the bathroom. Almost every door frame looks like it's been kicked in, there is only one working ice machine which is on the 7th floor and only one elevator works. Oddly according to these reviews it's been "under construction" for far too long. It's right on the beach and cheap so if you just need a place to crash and get ready it will do the trick. Don't expect a greeting or warm welcome from any staff member because apparently that isn't in their job description. As the title says? You get what you pay for.

Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
I am very sorry you felt that the staff was not helpful and I appreciate you bringing your concerns to our attention. As far as the elevator yes it has been a long project as is common when you are completely modernizing it. I hope you have a better stay on your next visit to Miami Beach
Derry, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2014

We booked this hotel about a week in advance for £95 for a Saturday night stay in Miami Beach. We were really looking forward to our stay and to experince the Miami nightlife but when we arrived we found the staff to be quite rude to both myself and my wife. We were told we would have to pay a deposit for a room safe ($22.26) of which $20 would be returned on check out. I didn't have cash on me to pay so asked if I could pay later after we left our bags in the room. When in the room my wife wanted to make a local call on the room phone which wouldn't work. She called reception to ask why and was told it was because we hadn't paid our safe deposit. Why a safe deposit affected the phones working I don't know why. So on going for a walk we paid the deposit and were assured the phone would now work......it didn't. We also told them that the safe wasn't working as it was an old fashioned lock box with a physical key required. When I told the front desk this they said we had to punch in the code for it to work, so had to explin it wasn't a modern safe, it was a lock box requiring a key. They said they'd send maintenance up, which took over 2 hours despite the maintenance guy standing right beside the lady when I was explaining the problem. When he finally arrived the lock box couldn't be fixed and we had paid for a service which clearly wasn't provided.

The room itself was very old looking and parts of it were filthy. The air conditioning vents were covered with mould and dirt and was very loud. The bathroom door had a very unconvincing repair done to it where it has previously had a big hole in the middle of it. The TV in the room picked up more static than stations.

The parking for the hotel was inconvenient to say the least. Nice big parking area just outside the hotel, but the inconvenience of only being able to pay in 3 hourly increments was a hassle. I know it is a public park and not the hotels private parking facility but upon asking the front desk about the parking they didn't really seem to care and didn't provide much information as to what alternatives there were.

When I asked a member of staff to see if I could get a couple of spoons (knowing that the hotel serves breakfast) they shrugged me off with a "No" and I could try asking in the bar next door for them (which wasn't part of the hotel, just a random bar. Awful, lazy attitude that seemed to be the standard set for our entire stay.

The hotel is handy to the beach and within easy walking distance to Ocean Drive in 10- 15 mins. Free WiFi available in the rooms too was good.

Unfortunately this didn't make up for the treatment by staff and the condition of the hotel.

So in short:
DIRTY
RUDE STAFF
OLD HOTEL
INCONVENIENT PARKING OPTIONS
GOOD FOR BEACH
FREE WIFI
AVOID IF POSSIBLE

Room Tip: I doubt there are any good rooms in such a disappointment of a hotel
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
I am very sorry you had such a bad experience and you felt the staff was rude there is simply no excuse for poor service. As far as parking unfortunately it is an issue in South Beach and beyond our control. I hope that you will visit Miami Beach again and have a better experience and again I am very sorry for any inconvenience

Been to Seagull Hotel Miami South Beach? Share your experiences!