“The huge wrap around balcony was worth it” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Seagull Hotel Miami South Beach

You added Seagull Hotel Miami South Beach to your Saves list
Seagull Hotel Miami South Beach
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 21st Street at Collins Ave, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (Formerly Days Inn South Beach)   |
Ranked #173 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Keystone, Colorado
“The huge wrap around balcony was worth it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2011

My boyfriend and I just got back from a 7 night stay at the "Seagull" Days Inn and I have to say we enjoyed it just fine.
Me and my boyfriend booked it for $65/night on otel.com, then I emailed one the managers at the hotel and asked to put us in a room with a nice view and a balcony, without paying the $20/night extra for ocean front.
We got room 815 on the top floor, their biggest room. It had a wrap around balcony, 180 degree view of Collins Ave, Collins Park, and the beach. It was a 4ft high balcony wall, so totally private to just us. It was one of the the best parts of our trip, because we got to lay out privately, and it was sunny on the deck all day, because it faced north.
The room was big, probably 600 square feet, bigger than my apartment, with a lock-off entry room with a loveseat and coffee table and french doors to close it off if you want.
The beds were nice, we had two doubles, both had pillow top mattresses and nice pillows.
There's nothing special about the TV or other amenities, but we didn't come there to watch TV all day (except for the NBA playoff games).
There was enough room in the drawers of the TV armoire, we didn't use the open walk-in closet.
The shower has a good round curtain rod, but the bathroom is basic. No complaints, though. The toilet ran a little - just jiggle the handle.
The pool was nice and big, but full of little kids in the evening. I liked the tropical garden feel of the courtyard leading to the pool.
The lobby is Miami beach cheese decor, but charming enough with a fountain and bridge. We didn't get the $12 buffet breakfast at all - too expensive. But there's a Walgreens a block and a half away with basic necessities and food stuff.
The only big problem was the balcony door - it needs to be replaced, and the door sweep had rusted off, so when it rained, water leaked into the room, soaking the carpet. We weren't bothered by it, but it smelled like mildew until it dried a couple of days later. We didn't complain. You get what you pay for.
We didn't rent a mini fridge for $10/day, but a thermal bag full of ice sufficed for beer and some food.
It's just steps from the beach, which was our biggest vacation desire, and most convenient. However, that part of beach was almost full of rented umbrellas and loungers ($30 a day we didn't want to pay) so we had to maneuver our little towels and umbrella to a spot untaken by big rental ones. And there are jet ski rentals right there on the beach too, which seems cool, but they are really loud and annoying after a while. Not related to the hotel. There's plenty of open beach space a little further down.
The concierge was friendly and helpful, as well as the front desk staff. I even stopped by to thank them for booking me into the best room they have. I didn't have to pay extra for it, so all you have to do is ask...
I would definitely stay here again - BUT only in room 815!
I saw inside a lot of the other rooms, and they were small, no balcony, facing the big high-rise parking garage to the south. No thanks.
The hallway carpets need to be replaced, and all the walls repainted, which they were doing while we were there.
You can tell it's an old building, surrounded by fancy high-rises, but we weren't there for luxury and to blow a ton of money. We were there for the sun and beach, and this room had all we needed, with plenty of extra space to spare.
I'd recommend this place for young couples wanting to travel on a budget, or groups of friends travelling together, but not for someone looking for a fancy getaway.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
fkennedy, Manager at Seagull Hotel Miami South Beach, responded to this review, September 1, 2011
thank you for staying with us and we are glad you enjoyed your room. On your next visit you will see an improvement as we have replaced all of our hallway carpets. we look forward to seeing you again soon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Wollongong, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

Filthy bathroom and terrible customer service. It might be on South Beach, but for the price we paid we expected much better. We were advised that the hotel was 100% non-smoking, however upon entering our room we discovered it stunk of cigarette smoke. (Not a problem for us, however many would be turned off by it.)

The bathroom was disgusting, even compared to 1 star hostels we have previously stayed at (see photos). On one night, the toilet overflowed and flooded the bathroom floor. We called reception, who told us we would have to wait until 8am when housekeeping arrived, and that we should just put some towels down. The next morning, we called reception to ask if we could be moved to another room. They were very rude about the whole matter and advised that no, we could not be moved, as they were still taking reservations (!). Housekeeping took more than an hour to arrive to clean the bathroom.

The only positive aspects of the hotel are the large pool area and the location, which is literally a minute's walk away from the beach. There is a pub next door which offers cheap beers, and a great Mediterranean restaurant a block away. Tip: if you need to get to the airport from here, take a bus rather than a taxi. It is only approx. $1 and the bus stop is right across the street. By the way, this is now called Seagull Hotel Miami Beach (not Days Inn).

Room Tip: Don't bother. Pay more to stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Jersey, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2011

We booked this on the Internet as it showed up as Days Inn in the picture, which was probably from the 1980's. The reception area is quite pleasant but the lift was like a service lift in a store, outdated. The landing was disgusting there were yellow stains in patches of the green carpet everywhere, outside of rooms and in general in the hallway. The majority of the doors to the rooms looked as though they have had a good kicking in, very scary thought. Our room was thoroughly disgusting damaged door, broken security lock, horrible beds, horrible bathroom, funny smell in room. In it's hey day most likely 1980's the place was maybe once something because of the prime beach views. We did not stay, we left and checked out immediately and went to the Continental hotel down the road.

Room Tip: Disgusting, doors look kicked in
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2011

I was booked into this horrible hotel by our travel agent. We arrived and were told to wait in the cold for hours to check in. The lift was old, when we arrived to the second floor, there was a maintenance man fixing all the broken locks on the door. It was like someone had kicked the doors down. When we opened our room door it smelt so bad, the carpets were wet. I went to open the window and it fell on my foot. I decided to use the bathroom and there were pubic hairs all over the toilet and sink. They hadn't even bothered to clean the bathroom. The shower was black in color. The beds were old and smelly. We did not stay any longer, we couldn't breath the smell was that bad. We checked out as soon as we could. This place is known according to other hotels in the area as the worst, and needs to be shut down. How it passes the health authorities I do not know. Try the South Seas hotel around the corner, it was amazing and the staff are so nice. Facilities are of high quality. Days Inn which is now called Seagull Inn ruined our stay in Miami. Do not waste your money!!!!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2011

I checked in w/o first checking the reviews. The young girl at the front desk was friendly enough. She checked me into room 608. I went up to room 608. Hallway had flickering lights, dirt on walls and floor. I opened the door to my room, it was pitch black inside. Propped my bags up against the wall only to see someone rise out of the bed saying "Hunh?". My heart jumped and I said "Sorry" and got out of there.
Went back downstairs and said I'd like to check out. Here's what the manager said:
"Sorry, you booked this online, our policy is to charge for the first night.". I called American Express to cancel the reservation, they told me the same thing. So I was stuck for the night. They put me in another room, non-smoking.
Got to me room. The lock had obviously been forced before. Went inside after pushing hard against the door. In the AC unit was a full, unlit cigarette. I opened the door to the balcony, again the lock had been forced and the faceplace was completely missing.
I went out to get something to eat. When I came back I tried to turn on the lights. Both lights above my bed were not working. Only the floor lamp and bathroom light worked. I barricaded the door as best I could and went to bed. Checked out the next day. Told my story to a different manager on the way out, he gave me a 50% rebate.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Covington, OHIO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2011

Stopped by this hotel which is now named seagull hotel while walking on the beach. Stopped at front desk asked price and was 99.00 a night. Before we committed we asked to see a room and it was big with a king bed, table, 27" tv. Room was so cold we turned it down a bunch. The room has new carpet. It's a great location being right on the beach. There are some minor faults in the room but it was very clean plenty of pillows. The pool is big and has nice landscaping around it.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2011

I payed more than 150 dollars/night for 3 nights.
I never slept in such a dirty hotel, even in Europe. In my country (France), this hotel would be closed immediately, regarding the condition.
Room ugly, dirty. The bathroom was repaired by a non professional. This hotel is unsecured (a guy opened my door during the night with his own keycard). everything is old, the maintenance is not done.
We feel that the owner earns so much money that he doesn't car at all about this hotel.
They haven't a minimum of service. If rooms are so dirty, what about kitchens and laundry?
Please, avoid this hotel, it's better to pay 50 dollars more per night or to do camping.
It's a shame to find such a hotel like that in a so pleasant place. I don't understand why the city of Miami Beach doesn't close this place or oblige the owner to renovate it in totality..

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo

Been to Seagull Hotel Miami South Beach? Share your experiences!