“Average” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #102 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Chicago, Illinois
“Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This place is just average, nothing great or spectacular. We stayed one night before getting on a cruise. It is not the nicest place I have ever stayed, as it is in dire need of décor updates, however, it is not the worst. We did not use any of the amenities of the hotel, so my review is based on the room and lobby.

For the price, in comparison to other hotels in the area, is fine. The location is fabulous.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
mamidon, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Miami Beach, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Hi Sara R,
Thank you for your review. Sometimes “good enough” is exactly that; though you’ll forgive us if we continue to strive for more than just a fabulous location. Based upon your review date I have to assume that you occupied one of our rooms; last on the list to be renovated. “Fabulous” was never the word used in relation to the “old” rooms. Our new rooms aren’t fabulous either….they’re gorgeous.

993 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here back in march. I used my starwood points that i earned for a nice weekend getaway with my wife. The hotel is a little bit dated. The lobby is very nice but the rooms dont look like they have been updated in quite some time. The location is pretty perfect if you want to stay a little north of miami beach.

The breakfast buffet was below average. We just walked to the fountain bleu the next day to experience better quality food.

We had an amazing view of the beach from our room which made the lack of an updated room more palatable. We also had an issue with our room- water was leaking in the bathroom but the hotel staff was easy to deal with and they helped remedy the issue.

All in all for an area that has expensive hotels, four points offers a good value and you get what you pay for. I would stay there again if I wanted to save some $$$.

• Stayed March 2013
mamidon, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Miami Beach, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Hi David,
Thank you for you kind review. You will be happy to know that within the next 10 days all of those outdated rooms will be replaced with Starwood’s newest design.
We’re truly sorry that you didn’t enjoy breakfast. We typically get high marks in this area. Starwood ranks our food and beverage product in the top 1% and we enjoy hosting several guests from the Fontainebleau each morning.
I guess it’s a matter of personal taste. While my sister and I liked most of what my mother prepared we knew she lacked a culinary degree. Although, we were convinced that she had an advanced degree in pyrotechnics; if a little flame was good a big flame was better. The smoke detector doubled as the dinner bell.
The funny part was my father loved everything she cooked…didn’t he? Sure he did…I think.
Nashville, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

The Four Points by Sheraton Miami Beach was the worst hotel experience I have ever had. Upon check-in there were some issues with my reservation. The front desk (including the manager) was rude and unwilling to help me get the issue solved. I spent an entire afternoon arguing with them and being put on hold with their corporate offices. They admitted the problem being a system issue, yet told me that I had to make the roundabouts in getting it fixed (while I was on vacation!).

The entirety of my stay was very uncomfortable, as I felt extremely unwelcome.

The room was very old and outdated. For the price, I expected a bit more, but I understand it is an old building.

Breakfast was just a simple buffet, with muffins, eggs, yogurt, toast, etc., yet cost around $37 for two people.

I highly recommend any of the neighboring hotels, as they all looked fantastic.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
mamidon, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Miami Beach, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
I am extremely sorry for your disappointment. While you aren’t specific as to the “problems with your reservation” I am reluctant to speculate other than to offer that there are occasions when “expectations” and “desires” are different than the actual reservation. If there has been a mistake we would like the opportunity to make it right. Please feel free to contact me if this is truly the case.
We are indeed an old building (circa 1938) however; all but a few remaining rooms are brand new.
Our breakfast buffet costs $14.75 and includes 47 items, eggs and omelets made to order, juice and a bottomless cup of gourmet coffee. If while enjoying breakfast you’ll look around the room you will find guests from those neighboring hotels you mention dining with us. We’re proud of our breakfast and are disappointed you found it lacking in any way.
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel about 3 times personally and each time I have had a decent experience. Nothing about the hotel was terrible but it was very dated, the only reason my guests and I kept on staying here was that the service was always pretty good. Unfortunately it seems as though much has changed in just a year. My group and I booked this hotel so we could stay in Miami the nigh before our cruise this year. We called to check up on our reservation about 2 days before and we basically found that the hotel had no record of us every booking. In fact the lobby manager stated that there was nothing they could do at this point except direct us to the corporate office. He also stated that their systems had shown that they were not just booked but they were overbooked. After being transferred and waiting on hold the customer service representative stated that here systems had shown plenty of rooms available and that their must be a mistake regarding the loss of our reservation. She eventually booked us in the same rooms at a higher rate then what we originally booked. At this point I could no longer trust the Four Points by sheraton to honor our reservation when were due to show up in 2 days after what they had just put us through. I searched Expedia and found a better a better hotel around the corner at the same rate they had given us. I called and gave Four Points one more shot at redemption before I cancelled. I explained the situation that had just taken place and asked for some sort of discount to make the entire situation rite, they refused and offered a me a bottle of wine. I then mentioned that I had a AAA card and that I should have gotten a discount off the room anyway. They also refused to honor the AAA card discount. So we cancelled and booked down the street, I will never used this hotel ever again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Please accept my apology. When you book a hotel room with us regardless of the method; you are dealing with Starwood Hotel’s central reservation service and not the hotel. I would be unaware of what exactly transpired but clearly the confusion is regrettable for everyone. Everyone makes mistakes however; in my thirty years in this business I have found Starwood’s reservation service to be amongst the best. I’m very sorry for this disappointment and would be grateful for an opportunity to discuss the details and to put things right.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

The hotel was approximately a 15-20 minute cab ride from the airport and cost about $35. Upon arrival at the hotel, I was greeted and check-in was a breeze. Crystal, the trainee, checked me in and was able to answer all my questions. She was extremely helpful and deserves praise for her attitude and willingness to accommodate. The lobby is very large with lots of room to sit around and relax and walking into the lobby from the outside is completely refreshing due to the cool temperature of the hotel. There are two elevators, but they are unusually small. Also, the hotel seems to be undergoing renovations from the bottom up and they are currently on the sixth floor, but it is looking extremely nice. The location was very nice with the hotel being on Miami Beach and around 2 1/2 miles from South Beach. There were four of us and we booked two connecting rooms.

ROOMS (708 & 709)

When combined, the two rooms were a perfect match for the four of us to use. I'll break down the two rooms separately so differences can be noted. Room 708 & 709 both had 2 double beds, a long desk/chair/TV, dresser and closet, coffee maker, iron and ironing board, a separate chair to relax. Neither room had an in-room safe, but wifi is free. Room 708 was smaller than 709. Room 709 had a refrigerator, a kitchen-type countertop with sink, while Room 708 had neither.

POOL/HOT TUB/BEACH

The pool was a nice size and there were plenty of lunge chairs. In order to get towels, you just need to find the hotel employee, usually somewhere in the pool area, in charge of handing them out. The pool is nice but the temperature is very warm and it's not the refreshing "cool" you are looking for in the heat. The hot tub is very big and can accommodate plenty of people and there was rarely anyone in it. The pool next door at the Holiday Inn is apparently owned by the same person, so I'm told, and you have access to that pool as well. The pool also walks right out to the boardwalk and to the ocean. It is very convenient. When you are at the beach, there are lounge chairs and umbrellas that we assumed were owned by the hotel but it's a separate company that leases them for $10 per chair and $10 for an umbrella.

RESTAURANT (Sungrass Cafe)

The restaurant downstairs was very good. The breakfast buffet (around $15 per person) had some many choices. Every day there was a made-to-order omelet option, eggs, bacon sausage, potatoes, pancakes, french toast, cereals, oatmeal, fruits, and even more that I'm missing. Lunch was also good. You could get a burger and fries for $10. The food was good and the prices were very reasonable. We booked a rate that included breakfast for two per room every day; it was definitely the way to go.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
mamidon, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Miami Beach, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear JonnyBlaze,
Thank you for your generous and thorough review. As a senior contributor and obvious frequent traveler we appreciate your “stamp of approval”….as well as your honesty.
We think the world of Crystal. We’re certain that her career horizon is very bright. She’ll be excited that you remembered her service.
Sorry about the warm pool. We’ve locked the temperature to a degree that most people find “acceptable” though I always love a little shock when I first enter a pool and would prefer it not be heated at all. We proudly offer what we believe is a good “match” for our hotel with regard to a breakfast buffet. It’s a good value with international offerings to match our international traveler tastes.
Please visit us again we enjoyed serving you.
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

this hotel is considerably old. The lobby has been updated, but upstair rooms have not. The neighboring building north of it seem to be a lot more newer and nicer. We are used/spoiled to Westin quality, and this is is definitely differant.

In my case, we were upgraded to an ocean view suite, thanks to my Gold status. It helped. Also service is good enough. Otherwise spending $100ish more for a newer hotel would be a really good option.

The swimming is nice. Outside is boardwalk, which connects you all the way to south beach. BTW, beach is fantastic.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind and honest review. We agree with you completely and applaud your sensitivity in the way you’ve expressed “the truth”.
If you aren’t a fan of period architecture (Miami Modern) it’s doubtful you’ll make a connection with us; aside from our great location and “good enough” service. Our renovation is drawing to a close however; even today you might encounter areas of the property that are incomplete. These potential encounters become fewer each day.
We’re happy you enjoyed the pool; of a type which has now become as rare as our building. Most are now just shallow trenches…like “kiddie pools” were during the time when this hotel was younger.
We also agree with the concept that another $100 per night would make a difference. I doubt it would put you at the “W” South Beach (more like $250 per night) but certainly there are more expensive hotels on Miami Beach. We feel that we offer the best value on Miami Beach and invite everyone to “shop around” before making that reservation. Each night we extend our hospitality to 216 savvy shoppers.
We look forward to seeing you again when we hope to improve our status with you.
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

I arrived at 11:00 PM and prior to that had already been confirmed with a Suite Upgrade using two of my suite night rewards for my 2 night stay...Front desk staff informed me that as a Platinum member I would be upgraded to a "junior" suite... (So why take my reward).. I was told that they have Executive Suites and Junior Suites in the Hotel .. they said Executive was not available with my reservation because they upgrade to one level. Junior turned out to be a slightly elongated standard room.(as suspected)

When I walked into the room, a foul odor of food was coming from the AC and permeated the space. The condition of the room was poor at best.. Un-wiped desk top, un-wiped night stand with lots of greasy fingerprints still visible and a dried white substance on the desk, ugghhh. the clock was also broken, probably why it was unplugged.

Noticed paint flakes along the edge of the stained carpet near the balcony door. Bathroom had not been thoroughly cleaned either.. Hair strands in the sink and generally did not look or smell clean.

At this point it was almost midnight and I was tired .. I went to sleep and was awoken at 7:40am to loud crashes and banging coming from above my ceiling..

So, I called SPG and spoke to some very nice folks who arranged another room for the final night in another SPG property nearby.. They were very accommodating.

Upon check out of the staff at the Miami Beach FP told me I had to pay for 2 nights and they couldn't do anything about it and were very sorry. We'll see about that!

Later that day the hotel manger sent me a snarky email basically calling me a liar, but that they would be refunding me the one night stay.

This hotel did not have good reviews and I should have paid more attention to them.

Happy travels.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Please accept my apology for the disappointment you experienced during your recent stay at the Four Points Miami Beach.

The guidelines for use of “Suite Nights” are governed by Starwood Hotels and not the hotel. In reviewing your reservation; we followed the program. Regrettably even if the program allowed for a double-upgrade to an executive suite there were none available during the time of your stay. We would have loved to have given you one anyway as we believe them to be exceptional.

The room you occupied was in fact a newly renovated room; occupied once only prior to your arrival. We found the clock (also new) to be in working order. While we are unaware of any power outages during your stay we admit they are a frequent occurrence in South Florida.

The room 1020 is located on our highest floor with only the roof above. The roof is also new and all of our engineering team was engaged in tasks on our fourth floor during the time you speak of.

We could find no explanation for any noise “above you”.

We’re grateful for the inclusion of the housekeeping issues which were omitted from your complaint to Starwood Hotels. The matter will be addressed with the room attendant and inspector assigned to that floor for possible re-training. These details are troubling as we value our cleanliness rating.

We offer these details in response to the information provided to us from the Starwood contact center as you did not contact us during the course of your stay with regard to these issues or to request the issues be addressed. We regret not being given the opportunity to “make things right” however; we respect your prerogative in how you chose to address the events of your stay.

The Four Points Miami Beach feels that each stay is an emotional experience and as individual as the guest themselves. A stay that the guest feels was unsatisfactory for any reason…or even without any reason; is exactly that….unsatisfactory.

I’m pleased that we promptly refunded your stay and we wish you better stays in the future.

Been to Four Points by Sheraton Miami Beach? Share your experiences!