“Great for families who dont want to be on South Beach.” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #97 of 201 Hotels in Miami Beach
New York City, New York
“Great for families who dont want to be on South Beach.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

I am 50/50 on this hotel. The room was fine, the stay was fine, the service was decent (not fantastic) and all in all it is odd to leave a place just feeling 'eh'.

I will start by saying that i am in my 20's looking for a New Yorkers getaway to South Beach on vacation, looking to find the balance of fun/party Miami and relaxation on the beach.

I will say it was hard to be right next to the SoHo Beach and the Fountainebleu both with stunning pools, huge pool bars and very exclusive access. I understand it was our choice to stay where we stayed but still, you dont want to spend your time wishing you could be elsewhere.

The Pro's:
-Direct Beach Access
-Decently Clean (Stains on walls and carpet, trash under bed, room service wasn't picked up outside our room for 2 days, but all in all decently clean. VERY clean bathrooms
-Kind front desk check in staff
-The lobby is beautiful (the rooms could use some major updating)
-Breakfast was good, standard but good.
-Lots of kids, great for families who dont need to be near the Bars and Nightlife of South Beach and who dont want to spend a lot of money.
-Comfy Beds, cute beachy paint in the rooms.

The Cons:
-Far from the fun night life of South Beach
-Not the best hotel service in the world. Not the worst. Just fine. Nothing incredible.
-If you have a room with a balcony, there is nothing on the balcony, no chair, table, anything. And the balconies look more like dog pens, no real divider, you can see right into the other rooms. Some easy outdoor furniture and maybe Lattice or something to divide for privacy would make all the difference in the world. And safer too.
-Lots of children and families (i love children and families, not a con, more of an observation), if you are looking for a romantic getaway this wouldn't be first on my list.
-Took 15 minutes for hot water to actually get hot in our room. on the 4th (2nd really) floor.

All in all, was a fine stay. My observations are that with some updating this hotel could be a real Miami Beach location. Perfect for a family trip. If you are looking to be close to the fun, the bars, the beautiful pools, great restaurants and to have more of an adult, romantic getaway i would suggest moving down closer into South Beach.

Also there is no Cell Phone service, my fiance has Verizon and I have ATT and we had NO SERVICE the entire stay.

Room Tip: We were in a junior suite and it was a spacious well laid out room. I would be interested to see the...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
mamidon, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Miami Beach, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you for you kind and detailed review. I completely understand “being 20” have seen my twenty’s twice now. Most of our guests stay with us so that they can “visit South Beach” and then “escape it” at the end of the evening. You’ll find that there are several Historic Hotels on Miami Beach and by law these properties cannot have significant architectural changes made to them. You’ll find even fewer hotels with usable balconies due either to codes, ordinance or insurance. Our balconies remain usable and highly desired although furniture is not allowed. A single chair on a balcony can bring disastrous results to guests below at the hands of Mother Nature or in the hands of a fool who wants to test Newton’s law of gravity. Yes, both have happened…more than once.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here using our SPG points so I have no idea how much it should of cost. Thus this review is not based on value for money. We stayed for three nights, there isn't a hotel car park so we spent $80 on parking. Our room was pleasant enough, clean but nothing to write a postcard home about. The free wifi is a bonus. I must praise the beds though, ours was perfect. Breakfast is $15 each and the hotel has a decent enough pool and lounge area. It backs onto a quieter part of Miami Beach and is about a 2 mile walk to the Ocean Drive bars and clubs. I would say if you pay less than $200 a night then it's a pretty good deal, any more (for a standard room) and you might feel a little short changed.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. Parking is indeed expensive and investors who built hotels often wish they built a parking garage as well. We charge our guests exactly what we pay the garage to park your car. The cost is less than most major cities but I agree that it's of little consolation. With regard to price; I always suggest shopping around before booking with us. An educated consumer is a happy guest....staying at the Four Points.
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Rooms were not that nice, and were a little dirty, although the bathroom qas clean, which was good. However, they felt that they had not been updated in a while and felt sort of drab. However, the hotel lobby, pool, and restaurant were surprisingly nice and felt much more upscale than the rooms themselves. Also, the location is hard to beat. If you're very picky about room quality though, probably worth it to spend more somewhere else.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
It appears you were given one of our few remaining rooms that have yet to be renovated. If so, I apologize. While the rooms are very clean (we rank in the top 1% of all Starwood Hotels for cleanliness) they are…were “drab”. When next you visit; you’ll find a room of a vastly different character; one that is the equal of the lobby.
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

National reservations agents were friendly, but lacked some knowledge of the property. We enjoyed our 9th floor oceanview room very much, but our patio was joined to another and did not seem very safe. We elected to forego maid service for some hotel credits, but they didn't give us all that we earned. Watch them on this! The buffet breakfast was convenient for us and seems a value at $14.95 per person. Our child is seven and just over the age for free meals. We utilized the car valet service because it made our five night stay easier. They always brought the car within five minutes of our request. Beds were comfy, room colors were beachy, and the pool and proximity to the ocean are excellent. The only reason for this "poor" review is really the WiFi dead zone that we encountered and the hotel's lack of any credible response. They say on their website and marketing materials:

Internet Access
•High Speed Internet Access in All Guest Rooms (Free)
•Wireless High Speed Internet Access (Free)
•Wireless High Speed Internet Access in Public Areas (Free)

We couldn't get WiFi service, high speed or otherwise.
It was always "intermittent" and/or nonexistent.
We really needed to have internet access to monitor and manage our business even while on vacation.

It is unacceptable to not have in-room internet access.

Some hotel person came to the room to hook up a modem and cable. When they "got the WiFi to work," they left without giving us any better connection. The so-called WiFi remained intermittent and/or non-existentent.

Even our cell phones experienced problems with reception and service.

I don't need a lecture on how I'm supposed to be on vacation and removed from my duties back home. If we could have checked in just the little that we had hoped, we would have been more pleased with this property.

The SoHo beach club (next door) also has loud weekend parties. Our balcony door and window kept most of the noise out.

Don't walk around naked, though, unless that's your thing. Neighbors from nearby balconies and guests at the Holiday Inn next door can see into your room unless the curtain is closed.

Room Tip: Request a higher floor and ocean view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
mamidon, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Miami Beach, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Please accept my apology for the difficulties you experienced with our WiFi. While I can only imagine the frustration you endured the property is far from a WiFi dead zone. In fact; there are signals available from three neighboring hotels, the City of Miami Beach and two from the Four Points; each of which provide in excess of 100 MB of bandwidth.
On the occasion that guests experience a problem it is usually related to the security settings on the notebook provided by the company the guest works with.
With the hotel being constructed to withstand extreme weather, cell phones may have trouble with connections if not routed through our WiFi. All of these connections are of course, free of charge.
We certainly understand your concern with regard to privacy. Whether one chooses to be fully dressed or “ala mode” while in relaxing in one’s room; privacy is to be expected. At the Four Points a guest would not be viewable unless they were to press themselves against the window. We would prefer guests refrain from such activities.
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

The hotel is in a great location on Miami Beach and the lobby is very nice. Everything on South Beach is very expensive, so it is an affordable alternative. However, they really need to update the rooms and the fitness center. Everything is very dusty and musty. Once the hotel invests in a remodel, it will be a great property to stay at.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind review. We appreciate that you noticed our efforts to provide “value” on Miami Beach. We are in fact in the midst of a renovation and the next time you visit you’ll enjoy our new rooms which are amazing.
Exmouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

We had a very bad experience whilst staying at this hotel for three nights recently. The room was very cramped and had a view of next doors wall, lighting was inadequate but you had to pull curtains completely to get privacy. Room was never serviced completely, we had to repeatedly ask for coffee, towels etc to be replaced.
The staff were in general very disinterested, at one point someone spilt and smashed a glass of wine near to the pool exit/entrance near the bar and I had to carry my son over broken glass in flip flops to get to my room. I was watched by two bored staff leaning on a pillar nearby whilst I did this. I complained and afetr a while someone turned up to clear up.
Bar meals that we ordered turned up as a takeaway.
Nice pool, good beach location but this hotel has some serious staff issues at the moment.

Room Tip: Carpets on 7th floor were filthy - looked like lower floors had been replaced with tiles.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
mamidon, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Miami Beach, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Please accept my apology for the service issues you experienced. I am a bit confused however in some of the descriptions of our property. Being from the UK is it possible that you stayed in a few hotels during the course of your trip? None of our rooms face another hotel wall. We don’t use glass near our pool and the pool area has no “pillars” to lean against. There is no bar seating (regrettably) and serves no food. If your stay was recent you would have found our seventh floor out of service for renovation. Our remaining floors are newly carpeted and while tile is planned for the elevator landings; as of yet there is no tile. Regardless of the details we are grateful for your constructive criticism and will revisit those areas noted for additional training.
Boston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

If you are planning on getting any sleep, don't go here. Thank goodness I brought earplugs. We had the view of Collins Ave and the canal. We didn't have washcloths in our room and room was humid. $20 cab ride to the Art Deco section of the real South Beach. Beware of gratuity already included in all meals and drinks.
The hotel fountain bleu next door is great for the night life and use of thier pool.
The beachairs are $10 to rent and they are flimsy and i think the umbrellas are also $10.
The boardwalk along the beach is nice(except for a few occasional homeless people) and be careful when it's wet(very slippery).
Valet parking is $29 every 24 hours. Self-park in the garage across the street is $20 every 24 hours.
Location is on the beach.
Food at hotel is a bit pricey, but so is the rest of Miami. We ate at Johnny Rockets and it cost us $58 for 2 burgers, onion ring and 2 drinks.
Maybe the ocean view is quieter. If I were to go again, I would request it.
P.S. Free wine and cheese in the lobby around 4ish and free coffee as well. By the time we got to the coffee, it was cold.
I am a SPG and was not greeted as well as I have been in the past at other SPG resorts and hotels. TOO bad

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
mamidon, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Miami Beach, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Please accept my apology. Nothing can be more frustrating than to be bothered by noise. Being located in what is considered the quiet part of town makes your comments even more troubling. We take any guest issue seriously with special concern given to noise. We don’t tolerate internal noise and we’ve taken steps to improve sound dampening with our renovation. Self parking at the nearest garage is actually $25 per day with no “in and out” privileges. Move your car for any reason and you’ll pay a second time. As parking is all but unavailable; we pay what you pay to park your vehicle and so charge $29 per day; however you can come and go as you please without additional cost. The beach concession next door will charge for services however; our lounge chairs and towels are free of charge to guests. Our most expensive sirloin burger in room service is under $10 and comes with a pile of fries. The free wine and cheese is but one of our many “free to guests” amenities. Gratuity is definitely included on meals and drinks everywhere on the beach due to our international travelers who often are not familiar with our culture. If you would consider contacting me I would very much like to offer a personal apology to our Starwood Preferred Guest.

Been to Four Points by Sheraton Miami Beach? Share your experiences!