“Bugs in room” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #100 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
San Francisco, California
“Bugs in room”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

Hotel initially looked ok. Room had bugs in it. Furniture was old, and room and hallways smelled musty. They promptly refunded my stay and I went elsewhere. The staff was nice but hotel seems very old.

• Stayed December 2012
mamidon, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Miami Beach, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
We aim to exceed our guest expectation and looks like we did not meet your expectations. Many of our guests keep the balcony door open and because we are in a tropical environment bugs will sometimes get into the room. The Four Points Miami Beach is located in the tropics nestled between the ocean and one of the world’s largest wetlands. This combined with the density of population on what is a seven mile long sandbar and you can be certain that there are plenty of bugs to go around. However few ever make it into the building. Again thank you for your review

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel last year and it was on the verge of dingy, but after 365 days this place has gone totally off the rails. I walked into my room which was filthy. The carpet was disgusting and stained, the door to the balcony was completely rusted with a bad paint job to hide it and the room wreaked of mildew. I decided to ignore it and give the place a shot since I did have a pleasant stay last year. As I was climbing into bed I encountered a very large mosquito behind the post (gross). Then an even larger cockroach decided to make an appearance. When I furiously contacted the front desk, they told me this happens all the time at the four points because they are so close to the beach. I have been to Miami a dozen times for work and the nicer hotels (also on the beach) do not tolerate cockroach infestation. It was absolutely disgusting and unacceptable that the hotel tried to JUSTIFY it. STEER CLEAR OF THIS PLACE!

• Stayed December 2012
mamidon, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Miami Beach, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Please accept my apology for what sounds like a very difficult and disappointing experience. While we currently are in the midst of renovating the property I would be grateful for the opportunity to discuss you experience in more detail so as to address your concerns and learn more of this infestation.
Mark Amidon, CHA
Bayonne, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for three nights. It was the most affordable SPG hotel on the strip. It is a short cab ride from most hot spots or a long but beautiful walk. The pool area was nice and it does provide access to the boardwalk. The staff were friendly but always busy. I was upgraded to an ocean view deluxe room but couldn't really see the ocean. It had nice views of the pool. The nearby club is loud but it didn't bother me. I also had a bottle of wine and a happy birthday Rachel card waiting me when I entered my room. It wasn't my birthday but I appreciated the gesture. Not the most glitzy hotel but a good option for those on a budget.

Columbia, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012 via mobile

The hotel lobby is very nice, however the rooms a little worn out. Bed was comfortable but the carpet, drapes and other furniture had stains, tears and blemishes.

There was a large tent set up on the beach that had loud parties until after 2am each night we were there. It was difficult to get good rest.

Too pricey for the location, the hotel sits 35 blocks from the main area of Miami Beach. Had to take a cab ($10 each way) for good restaurants and the strip.

Breakfast buffet was well put together and the servers were great.

Bowling Green, Kentucky
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Booked an ocean view; am a SPG(Starwood Preferred Guest) customer. On the 5th floor, it was overlooking a dirty roof; perfect height of the palm trees -- could see the ocean only when the wind blew a lot. Nightclub at the hotel next door was so loud, there was NO WAY we could get to sleep before 2AM every night (don't travel here on business). Walls were rather thin, so you could hear most neighbors on the floor, not just next door. Clean rooms, fast elevators, restaurant was well above-average (when it was open).

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs. Seriously.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Four Points this past weekend and to put it simply, you get what you pay for. This hotel is on the north side of the island and approximately 2 miles from Lincoln Road. We chose this hotel because we are never in the room and thought our money would be more useful towards the restaurants and bars that Miami has to offer. The staff were nice, it was easy to catch a cab, and the food was decent, albiet just as expensive as any other "nicer" SPG hotels. We relaxed by the pool when were weren't on the beach and my biggest complaint was the entire pool area is in the shade after 2:30pm. Other than that, the pool is large, cool and clean.

This Four Points was a nice location compared to the one other I've experienced but don't try to compare it to the other SPG venues. This is not a trendy location and you will need to walk or take public transportation every where that you want to go.

I used SPG points to book a room and when I found out it was 2 double beds, they upgraded us to a Suite with a king bed. The upgrade was almost twice the size of a regular room and it was nice to have the extra space. Also, we asked for and received a late check out, stayed at the pool all day and were given a complimentary room for 2 hours to freshen up prior to our flight.

On our trip, the lackluster room and location were cancelled by the staff's attention to detail and willingness to please their customers.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

As a young person I thought Miami would be trendy and fun. The location of this hotel is not in an ideal area. There is nothing to do, no shops and no where to eat except the hotel. The food at the hotel isn't that inticing. The bed was quite possibly the most uncomfortable bed I have ever slept in (I have slept on more comfortable concrete in china).

Housekeeping woke us up on our last day at 8:30am demanding to know what time we would be leaving so they could service the room. This was pretty annoying given check out is at 12pm - we shouldn't have been pressed for a time of our departure. We felt pretty unwelcome.

I'm glad to be leaving Miami and doubt I will return, if I do I won't be staying here that's for sure.

• Stayed November 2012

Been to Four Points by Sheraton Miami Beach? Share your experiences!