“Worst experience ever” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Lily Leon Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Miami Beach
Lily Leon Hotel
You added Lily Leon Hotel to your Saves list
835-841 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #186 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
southern shores
“Worst experience ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2006

We booked this hotel from the hotel website, which represents it to be a boutique South Beach hotel. When we arrived in South Beach I actually thought I had the wrong address. The hotel is extremely run down in a crowded and dangerous neighborhood. It was clearly too dangerous of an environment to stay with a family so I went to talk to the desk clerk and found the front door locked with no one inside. There was only street parking and there was a vandalized car behind the hotel with rags tied in the windows. So we started calling the reservations number and no one answered, there was not even any type of voice mail. eMailed the address from the web site, (got a response three weeks later). We had to go back to North Miami to find an available hotel which did have an impact on our travel schedule and then, unbelievable, Lily Leon double charged my credit card. When I brought it to their attention they basically said, sue us.

Worst hotel experience of all times, beware and do not believe the web site, there is nothing boutique about this ghetto hotel.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't believe the website, stay somewhere safer
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Everett, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2006

We booked our stay via the South Beach Hotel Groups website. We booked the penthouse suite for three nights at an amazing rate as part of a promotion the last week of September. After reading the reviews we were a little nervous about staying.

We arrived on a Wednesday in the middle of the afternoon. We thought the website said they had valet parking and we were a little annoyed when we had to go park in the nearby parking garage but being from Boston my boyfriend and I are used to walking.

Our room was awesome - if you have the money the Penthouse suite is totally worth it! The private roof deck was awesome. We were a little dissapointed that the hot tub on the private deck didn't work as well as we would have liked - we think that without the cover it had a hard time heating the water. The room and everything were clean. The bathroom wall did have a crack in the plaster but whatever, no big deal.

The continental breakfast was just that, continental. Nothing extravagant. Pasteries and orange juice. The staff was friendly enough and we didn't have any suprises on our bill. There were nightly drink specials that were nice and we took advantage of that.

We were at the top of the staircase and the sound from the bar did carry up and I can see how people could be annoyed by that, but shouldn't a little late night noise be expected when you are staying in South Beach?

Overall, it wasn't that bad. I don't think we would stay there again if we didn't get a great deal like we had this time, but I wouldn't tell someone not to stay there because it wasn't as horrible as everyone made it out to be.

• Liked — Location - one block from the Beach and near a ton of good restaurants and nightlife
  • Disliked — No pool or parking
  • Tips/Secrets — The South Beach Hotel Group offers great deals from time to time, take advantage of them if you see them!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
mt. pleasant, tx
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2006

First of all, we booked for the hotel chelsea. when we arrived at the airport, our flight got in just after the 5 o'clock run for the "free" shuttle. we were told that we would have to wait 2 hours or pay $32 for a taxi. we had the taxi drop us at the hotel chelsea where our reservations were for. when we arrived we were advised that due to some people staying over an extra day, we were "upgraded" to stay at the lily leon just around the corner. I guess miami's definition of around the corner is a lot different than mine. we had to walk about 2-3 blocks (with all our luggage in tow, us having to carry our own!!!) to get to the other hotel walking through parts of town that I would not feel comfortable letting my grown children walk in in broad daylight! After finally arriving at the hotel, we were led to an upstairs room that looked out at the back of a run down apartment building. Once inside we inquired about the fridge of drinks and water, and also the tray of snacks. they advised us that no they were not free that they would send someone to the room with a pricelist. HA! We have yet to see the pricelist.
The next morning when we went to our "wonderful" (not) breakfast, you had to eat at booths and tables outside on the sidewalk. In the same booths that there were drunks passed out on from the night before and from who knows where!
would never visit again and will definitely advise anyone headed to florida to beware of these hotels who obviously don't care about the customer but only the $$.

Tonyia Higgs
Mt. Pleasant, Texas

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Tips/Secrets — go somewhere else
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Rock Hill, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2006

Let me start by first saying that this hotel is not what is promised on the website. However, it is an awesome place to stay. Before we left I read all of the horrible reviews on here and it scared me a little bit. When we arrived, the check in was fast and easy and someone even carried our bags upstairs for us. We were told about the continental breakfast and the free drinks between 7 & 8. The room was not big, but it packed a big punch. It had a nice television and a stereo as well. The bed was the best part! It was so comfortable that we had no problem napping upon arrival. The "mini bar" in the room is expensive so we didnt touch anything in it. The bathroom did not have a "sunken oval tub" but did have a spacious shower. The hot water took a minute to kick in, but afterwards it was great. Overall the Lily was a nice place for me and my boyfriend. It was in prime location and was only $95/night for a standard room. I recommend this hotel for anyone who isn't super picky about where they stay, because there are a few things that would probably be below satisfaction for some. However, if you are like us and are just there to enjoy each other's company, then this is the place for you.

• Liked — location and the friendly staff...and the bed
  • Disliked — not what promised on website
  • Tips/Secrets — don't expect what you see on the website, just have an open mind and don't be too critical
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Irvine, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2006

Since I got my reservation prepaid, so I can't complain much for the price I paid. However, once you check-in, they still want to charge you $5 extra for something should have included with the room rate. Anyway.

We got a room on the 1st floor, it was nice, fairly clean, had 2 queen beds. Maybe we got better room just because we checked in on Thursday night and leaving the next morning.

There were construction or remodeling going on so it was noisy during day time.

They have a shelf in the room that has snacks and sunglasses. they don't have prices so I guess this is something you need to watch for. Don't touch it....and make sure they don't cheat on you either.

It's now 2 weeks after my trip and I just got my credit card bill. There is a mysterious $10 charge from the hotel. I guess I will call them to see what they have to say. My advise is to check your final bill before you leave.

• Stayed June 2006
Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2006

For all the people on here who said that people who complain must be hard to satisfy or complain about everything anyway, I thought that too. Then I came to the Lily. If you insist on staying here you should bring:
your own pillowcases and towels at the minimum, sheets and comforter if you are picky
lysol or some other disinfectant
pepper spray to defend yourself or a hotel room door alarm
the patience of a saint
earplugs

I realize when you stay here you are in Miami Beach. Things are expensive, and this hotel is pretty cheap. Things are usually loud. But do yourself a favor and avoid this hotel. If you are looking to enjoy your vacation there are plenty of other bargains to be found where you don't leave feeling like you would have been better off sleeping in your car. I've stayed in Motel 6, Holiday Inn, and Howard Johnsons that are ten times better.

• Stayed May 2006
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2006

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Lily Leon in May 2006 and were not impressed. We had booked through Expedia, but when we arrived they had no knowledge of our booking. However, they were quite helpful at reception and confirmed they had availability and we were checked in.
Locating our room was a bit of a nightmare as there was no lighting in the halls, but find it we eventually did and we were not impressed. There was no lighting in our room, which we complained about and were moved to the room across the corridor. This room was slightly better, but all in all it was very tired and run down. The bathroom was TINY and unclean. There was no glass in the windows to speak of, and so the room was VERY noisy as the bar was directly beneath our window and busy Collins Avenue too. When we tried to have a shower we discovered that there was no hot water. Again we had to complain and a handy man was sent in to try and fix the problem. After an hour of messing around with the pipes we were told he wasn't going to be able to fix it and we would have to move rooms.
So, they attempted to move us back to our original room which still had no lighting, and now also had the addition of some cockroaches, so obviously we refused and this resulted in us having to have 2 rooms for a while - 1 to shower in and the other to be able to actually see when it got dark! Finally we complained again and were moved into another room that was much nicer and I only wished we'd been in that one all along.
Whilst we did not go to Miami expecting to stay in a quiet, pristine hotel, we definitely expected more for our money than we got at the Lily Leon.
The location is good, with all the bars/clubs just up the road, the beach 1 block away and also cheap (ish) parking around the corner from the hotel. However, aside from this, I would not recommend this hotel and would definitely not stay there again.

• Stayed May 2006