“Recently changed?” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Recently changed?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I have a feeling that this property was only very recently taken over by Marriott. When I stayed, they were having a lot of difficulties that seemed to be related to procedure changes. While overall, the hotel wasn't bad, I expected more from the Marriott badge, especially for what I paid for the room.

The hotel is centrally located on Collins in the heart of South Beach. Like most hotels, you're in easy walking distance of the beach, Lincoln Rd., Ocean Drive, etc. A word to the wise: cabs in SoBe are plentiful and fairly cheap. Parking is neither, so unless you know you're planning on leaving the Beach, skip a rental car, or only get one for the days you have activities elsewhere.

The front desk staff was pleasant on check-in, but my room had several problems right off the bat. When I first entered, a desk lamp across the room was on and the room smelled strongly of insecticide or deodorizer. I hoped the smell would dissipate through the day, but it did not. After I finished unpacking, I turned off all the lights and left my room. This was a huge mistake! When I got back that night, it turns out the light switch at the door didn’t actually control anything in the room. Additionally, the message light on my phone blinked nearly continuously. I’d check for a message, it would say I’d have none, I’d hang up and it would start blinking again. The next morning, I told the front desk about my three issues with the room: deodorizer/insecticide smell, no lights at night and blinking phone line. I was, somewhat rudely, told the only way to fix the phone was to unplug it but that facilities would look at the other issues. Long story short, after two mornings of back and forth about the issues, it turned out there was a light switch hidden behind the drapes behind the bed that was preventing the door switch from working and housekeeping stopped using a particular cleaner which reduced but did not eliminate the overpowering smell in the room. The message indicator issue never was resolved and every day, I’d have to unplug my phone when I got back to the room to turn off the light.

The room itself was okay. The bedroom was of average size for the beach. The bathroom was extremely small and very narrow, however. I had to stand sideways in the shower to have enough room to wash raise my arms to wash my hair. My room was at the end of the hall and I had a fair amount of noise from staff and other guests using the stairs. Additionally, there was a fair amount of repainting and refinishing work going on around the hotel while I was there. Between that and the comments some of the staff made, it lead me to believe Marriott had only recently taken over. Most of the staff was very nice and helpful, however. The only exception was the clerk who was very condescending about the phone issue. I would have to stay at this property again to see if they’ve ironed out some of the issues before I could fully recommend to friends/family, but all in all, not bad.

Room Tip: Make sure your room does not face Collins as you'll pick up street noise all night long.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Emar R, Front Office Manager at Blue Moon Hotel - Autograph Collection, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear EMS,

Thank you so much for your recent visit to Blue Moon. I read about the issues that you experienced during your stay. We recently went through a tough renovation and became Autograph Collection by Marriott. It seems that you actually had stay while the renovation was taken place. I would like to take the time to apologize for the inconvenience you had gone through. I hope your overall experience was not affected by this and you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back again. If I can ever be of assistance please let me know. Emar erodriguez@bluemoonhotel.com

927 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

First i want to say thank u very much for the great service&attention that they give us, Emar ur the best manager and by the way ur team that works with u there awesome.This is not our first time in Miami, me and my wife we go at least no less than 3 or 4 times a year to Miami,we always stay on Sobe and this time we want to try a new hotel,we check reviews and also a heard great thinks about Blue Moon Hotel,so finally we decide to make a reservation from feb 23 thru feb 27 2013. From the day that we check in the door man was so attentive ,they give us our room right away to fast,we walk in to the room everything was great,very nice and clean,after that check the pool so we call front desk and ask Emar for some towels,we get to the pool and everything was set,perfect,the pool super clean very quiet but lovely.So if you want to stay on South beach 1 block from the beach in the middle of everything u just walk to great bars& restaurants and in a Hotel that they just remodel the whole building looks like a brand new Hotel and great service and attentive staff stay at BLUE MOON HOTEL,ur never gonna be disappointed,and ask for Emar he take cares u.Thank u very much again Emar and we promise we cyu very soon. THANK U BLUE MOON. Freddy&Raquel

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Freddy and Rachel,

Thank you for your 5 star rating and complimentary words about our hotel and our staff! We wish you could have stayed with us longer. I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay. Come join us again soon.

All the best,
Emar.
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Small boutique hotel, privately owned and attached to the Marriott Brand. Stair access only to the second floor. Some rooms have a good view of the courtyard and small lovely pool! A walled garden! Very nice! Small rooms and the AC is a little too loud, but lovely fan above bed. great closet and very nice upgraded bathrooms. At first I was disappointed at the size, but then you're right in the heart of the Art Deo Area of South Beach! The hotel was built in 1939 and it has lots of neat nooks and crannies! Small bar area, but nice intimate pool. We had breakfast at the cafe and the food was good. Staff at check in we're attentive and helpful! Valet parking is worth every penny! The attendants gave great service. Apart from the double bed in our room, which was too small for us, we are used to King! It was a great experience and I would recommend a stay here. Pricey, but you are right there with the great bars and restaurants and night life South Beach has to offer. Oh, there is an elevator for wheelchairs!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the courtyard!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Jupiter, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Once in a blue moon is about how often I can afford to stay at this lovely Marriott boutique hotel on Collins Ave in South Beach! The staff were all wonderful from valet to front desk to maintenance to waitress. The room was perfectly adequate if not spacious and elegant. The nice touch of being given a card requesting our choice of beverage and snack to be delivered to room was enjoyable. A minor maintenance problem was addressed almost before I got off the phone with the front desk! For some reason, a valve was stuck in the bathroom and needed to be "bled" and was. Also, the bedside lights had both been unplugged....easy fixes. The free wifi was a bit slow but acceptable.

Breakfast is not included. A must try is the Rice Krispies Caramel French Toast!!!!! The best of all 4 of our meals. Eggs Benedict were average with little hollandaise and absolutely no garnish on plate; they looked very lonely. Same with sunny side up eggs. A bit of parsley or an orange slice would have improved the presentation immensely. The breakfast sandwich was enjoyed but had too much bread and not enough filling.

Drinks by the pool late in the evening was a nice end to a busy day and the server was attentive even though we were the only ones there and he was also handling the indoor bar area. (Two fabulous leather armchairs in there!)

If you have enough Marriott Reward points to book this, (as our friends did) it's a great location, quiet, well-serviced and pleasant enough. Valet parking car retrieval did take 55 minutes and I wondered if they park the cars in Opa-Locka!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Smyrna, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We very much enjoyed our stay! Can't wait to come back! The proximity to the beach and entertainment was exactly what we were looking for! The hotel staff made our stay a memorable experience! Especially David!

• Stayed February 2013
Portsmouth, NH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Yes, the rooms are very, very small, but this is offset by many of the hotel's amenities including a super friendly and accommodating staff; a terrific location, just a block from the beach and close to shopping and many restaurants and bars; and a fresh and contemporary decor. We stayed here for just one night on our way to the keys but would definitely go back again.

Highlights of our visit included:

Cuban sandwiches at Puerta Suagaro, a Cuban diner on Collins Street that was recommended by the hotel

Custom cocktails (we told the bartender what we liked and he created something special for each of us) at the Rose Bar in the Delano Hotel; it was $46 for two cocktails including the tip but worth the experience. Note: if you do visit be sure to walk around the hotel including the pool--the decor is very hip

Renting bikes from the bike shop on 10th St (the least expensive bikes are oh so comfortable and it was just $10 for two hours) and riding over the Venetian Causeway into the city of Miami, which is about 10 miles round trip

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Mayfield Heights, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Booked this thru Priceline.com. Horrible accomodations. Walked into the room and smack right into bed. The room is so small, horrible bathrooms (only small sink - no where to store toiletries, etc. ) Thank goodnes we were there for only one night. We did convey our unhappiness the next morning and were given a complimentary breakfast which certainly did not make up for the terrible accommodation. No "bon voyage cocktail" for us. I guess "Francine" was unavailable that particular date!! How this hotel can be rated a "4 star" is beyond us. We traveled with another couple & they, too, were very upset over this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Emar R, Front Office Manager at Blue Moon Hotel - Autograph Collection, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Thank you for your recent visit to Blue Moon. We are sorry you were not satisfied with your stay.

Our records indicate that you booked your reservation the same day in which you had arrived. We regret we were unable to accommodate you with a bigger room, unfortunately due to our high occupancy we could not offer any complimentary upgrades. We further apologize that our efforts to compensate you for your inconvenience, including complimentary breakfasts, were insufficient.

Best regards,

Emar.

Been to Blue Moon Hotel - Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!