“Good hotel. Clean rooms. Nice location.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #18 of 201 Hotels in Miami Beach
ayrshire
“Good hotel. Clean rooms. Nice location.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2010

We had booked a room to accomodate three people. My son is 18 so we were informed that there would be two double beds. Upon arriving in our room we noticed to our horror there was only a king bed. I tried to call front desk but could not get anyone. We went down and explained our prooblem. We were informed that a rollaway would be provided free of charge. It was obvious that they knew full well we needed two beds!!! A child's rollaway arrived promptly and this was far too short for my 6 foot son! I went back down to the front desk and had to queue for some time. I explained to the manager that the bed was too small and he offered a replacement. I had to telephone later and go back down at 11pm as it had still not arrived. eventually it came and problem resolved. Very clean and comfortable rooms otherwise. Our room was spacious with lots of storage areas. Hotel facilties were good with a nice pool area. Bar prices are a bit expensive. We really liked the Starbucks adjacent to the hotel. Nice location. Quieter end of the beach.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
philadelphia, pa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2010

be ready for everything that has to do with food or drinks be very expensive, no matter where u eat, at the hotel or off on the strip, it is just expensive to eat and drink there, but dont let that get u down...once u know that going in, just enjoy, the views are spectacular and the hotel is one of the nicer one's on the strip, it is at the end (bottom) and out of the way of the majority of the clubs, but there are clubs around u, more are up town though, this resort has a lot of europeon's and that i like, they are happy and dont bother anyone, and i love hearing them speak the many languages, this hotal is near BIG PINKS DINER, omg, for the price it is the place to eat at every day....for real, big portions, 1/2 the hotel or less priced, still high, but the best price around and it was 50 yards from the hotel, also STARBUCKS right next door, attached actually. Cool:) the beach is 50 yards away also and u can see it from the pool and the loung area, u can sit out there and eat at there restaurant the Deco Blue, that has great food and a great view....every hotel employee was friendly and coffee is free in the room with cream and sugars, refridgerator is included under the safe and only bad thing was no microwave...but that is for there own reasons...so u can not cook your own dinner...lol..thats ok...economy is tight..hotel charges a gratuity to its bill and BIG PINKS does not. FYI. If u need help with anything to do with the pool or the beach SOPIA is your girl, she works for the Company that does the pool and beach needs and she can help u with anything u need, she is very good at her job, just watch her at the pool. she makes sure no one who is not a guess doesnt stay at our pool:) its a wonderful thing - seeing a nice girl taking pleasure in her job!!!! really appreciated that she cares, talk to her u will see, she is nice and friendly and helpful...also jesse at the front desk is a sweetheart too, they are so nice and friendly...the hotel will help u with your ride back to the airport, $32 bucks (plus add tip please, its hot down there) and u get a ride to the airport, same for going to the hotel from airport, not complicated and the ride is quick, like 15 minutes, many things to do, or just walk around down by the light house life guard station, there is a whole other world at the bottom of south beach, people walking and biking and dogs and pictures to take and parks, it was nice. we walked up town one night, what a sight, made me glad i didnt stay up there, we are down by 1st & 2nd streets and they call it South of 5th, that is b/c north of 5th street is where all the action is, if u dont want to much action stay below 7 street, 5th street has a TGI Fridays and around 6th & 7th on Ocean is a great spot, CJ's Crab Shack, great food and big TV's for any games u want to watch, sports, etc...but everyone has outside seating as well, the hotel had the best view to the beach!!! take a walk enjoy south beach, get a map from Concierge...July 2010 they will be having Bicycle's for rent on the strip, keep your eye's out for that as that is a wonderful idea and best one in a while. keep your eye's out for Mantatee's they swim by the hotel:) friendliest mamal's ever...just a wonderful site to see... and the fishies all along the rocks one block south in the clear ocean, just wonderful...loved it!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2010

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights and it was lovely. It's right on the beach and also has a nice pool and jacuzzi area. Our room had a small balcony with a view to the ocean so we had a great view of the sunrise. The breakfast area is very nice with a great buffet and we sat at a table on the terrace outside. The hotel is within walking distance of
several nice restaurants (Devito is right across the street.) and we enjoyed lots of fresh seafood. Because it lies about 2 blocks south of where the nightlife starts (The main drag is always packed with people sitting outside at bars and cafes and watching other people and all kinds of outrageous and expensive vehicles roll by at a snail's pace.) the
hotel's location is not noisy in the evening but still close to the action. They don't have an airport shuttle, but there is a flat-rate for taxis between the airport and South Beach.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Long Island NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2010

Went down for a wedding. I can not find a negative thing to say about my stay. The rooms are beautiful and very well appointed. The airconditioning was the best of anywhere I have ever stayed. Ice machine was broken but they brought ice 3 times a day to my room without even asking. The enter staff and waitstaff should be complimented.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

I'm usually a fan of Marriott hotels, and am a Marriott rewards member; however, I will never stay at this particular Mariott again. My friends and I originally picked this hotel because it was right on the beach, but a lower price than some of the other hotels right on the beach. Don't let the initial lower price fool you. By the end of the trip you'll have paid the same price as you would for a much nicer hotel that has all the amenities included.

While we enjoyed being able to walk out the door and onto the beach, the beach chairs and umbrellas are not included. It's an extra $40 for two chairs and an umbrella per day. And you have to be at the pool before 7 am to get a chair, otherwise they are all gone. The service on the beach is pretty good although it can be somewhat slow. Just make sure you keep an eye out for the one or two servers who come around to take orders.

We ordered a movie one afternoon, since the weather wasn't cooperating. At the time of purchase we were told one price; however, at checkout, the price was much higher. After 5 minutes of back and forth inquiring as to why the movie was so much more expensive on our bill, they did take the movie off the bill entirely which was a nice gesture.

I would recommend going to the convenience store to buy snacks and drinks to keep in your room. It's a much better deal, and there's a pharmacy a few blocks away. However, make sure to pick up some utensils while you're there. We tried calling down to room service two mornings to get silverware for breakfast. We were told no problem they'd be right there; however no one ever brought us the requested silverware, either morning.

The bathrooms look really nice, and except for the first day we were there were relatively clean. However, I did find hair on the shower wall and around the drain before any of my friends or I took a shower, which was unpleasant (to put it nicely!).

Our room was facing Ocean Drive, and even though the hotel is located at the far end of the strip, you still have noise from the clubs and restaurants. However, the balcony door was extremely solid and the noise was at an absolute minimuim which was a surprise. You could hear faint street noise but only if you were listening for it. The beds weren't the most comfortable, but I've definitely slept on worse.

Also, I left my iPhone charger on the nightstand next to the bed at checkout. I called the hotel 15 minutes after we'd checked out and explained exactly where it was and asked if I could pay to have it sent to me. The person on the phone told me they would check and call me right back. I never heard from them the rest of the day. I called the hotel the next day, explained the situation and was told they'd call me right back. They never did. I called later that same day, hoping a different person would be there and could help me. Same thing, said they'd call me right back, they never did. I called the hotel the second day, same thing. Said they'd call back, never did. Finally on the third day I was able to find someone check and call me back. Only to be told nothing was ever turned in. When I asked if someone could call me should it turn up, i was told quite rudely that they didn't expect that to happen, but "I guess I can do that."

All in all, our stay at the Marriott South Beach wasn't the most pleasant one. The custom service needs a lot of improvement, and the hotel should do a better job of disclosing the extra fees it charges. I would not recommend this hotel to any of my friends or family just because it ended up being a lot more expensive than we'd anticipated and it was quite a headache dealing with the custom service and checkout issues. I know it looks a lot cheaper on paper when comparing prices, but make you sure double check the amenities you get at this hotel versus others. I went back and did the math after we got our final bill, and it worked out that we could have stayed in a 4 star hotel on the beach for the same price.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
new jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2010

I booked this hotel because it was one of the only hotels that allowed 4 guests without charging extra fees and had good reviews. I booked a city view room for Sat and Sun night for four people, two double beds. A week before they wrote me an email saying they only have King rooms available. When i got there i spoke with the girl about the issue, that I had 4 people so we needed two beds. Right away she found a room with two double beds and it was ocean view, for the same price! Also, because we are Marriott rewards member they allowed us to check out an hour later.

The location was good, a block away from Nikki beach and a short walk to Wet Willies and News Cafe. It is a quieter location in the beginning of ocean Drive which was nice. We took a taxi to the clubs and bars and it was around $10. The rooms were very clean and the beds were comfortable. The staff was nice and the bell boy was very helpful. The pool area was nice...two pools with a Jacuzzi in the middle.

What I didn't like was the $34 Valet parking per night. Usually parking is free at other hotels I've stayed at. They offer a package where you can pay for parking, internet service and beach chairs that comes out to be slightly cheaper but we did not bring a computer. Also,other reviews people complain about the food prices. Yes the food was a little pricey. We went downstairs for breakfast and turned right around when we saw the prices on the menu. Also they do add gratuity but they do that in every restaurant and bar in South beach. And the beach chairs are $10 and an umbrella was $20, but other spots in South Beach charge the same.

To have a clean room with no bugs, an ocean view balcony and a pool for 220 a night is a great deal for an Ocean Drive South Beach hotel room.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2010

The hotel and rooms were nice. Service was excellent. Staff was very helpful. The restaruant and bar were highly expensive. $20 is wayyy to high for a burger, fries, and water for lunch.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Marriott Stanton South Beach? Share your experiences!