“Wonderful SoBe experience” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Wonderful SoBe experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

A great little gem right on the beach just south of the noisy SoBe "strip". Small hotel and small but luxe rooms with neat little balconies. In-house parking not cheap but very accommodating valet staff, esp Marcella. Front desk Brandon makes the best welcome mohitos "with love." Hard truth about hotel chains: elite guests get perks like free WiFi, concierge lounges, room upgrades, personal attention from senior management. Its the same with airlines. We had a great stay; but then we give marriott $6-10000 per year for platinum status--that's 75 nights a year.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Erenia M, Guest Relations Manager at Marriott Stanton South Beach, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Dear Guest:
Thank you for your post about your fantastic stay at the Marriott Stanton South Beach! We pride ourselves on providing our customers with the ultimate South Beach experience and are thankful to be able to interact with such kind and generous guests. We are happy that you found our hotel to be such an ideal vacation spot. Thank you also for your positive comments on our staff's level of service, we take great pride in their accomplishments. We appreciate your Elite status, continued loyalty to Marriott and most especially, your patronage at the Marriott Stanton South Beach. Please visit us again any time you have occasion to be in South Beach.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
Wappingers Falls, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

What can I say about this place? In one word (amazing) from the management all the way to the housekeeping staff! Everyone is so friendly and polite, I felt like royalty. Best hotel staff I've ever incountered. When I return to south beach there is no other place I'll stay except for the Stanton Marriot. Five stars in my book. To the entire staff:Thank you for everything. I'll see u all again!!!!!

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Guest:
Thank you for your post about your fantastic stay at the Marriott stanton South Beach! We pride ourselves on providing our customers with the ultimate South Beach experience and are thankful to be able to interact with such kind and generous guests. Thank you also for your positive comments on our staff's level of service, we take great pride in their accomplishments. Thanks for taking the time to share this review; we'd love to have you back!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

A couple of my girlfriends and I decided to take a girls trip down to Miami for a long weekend and after researching many hotels we decided to go with this one. I am so happy that we did! The hotel was wonderful, the service spectacular and it is in a great location on South Beach! I know I am going to tell all of my friends to stay here when they travel down to Miami and you can guarantee the next time I am down there, I will as well! Thank you for the great experience!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest:
Thank you for your post about your fantastic stay at the Marriott Stanton South Beach! We pride ourselves on providing our customers with the ultimate South Beach experience and are thankful to be able to interact with such kind and generous guests. We are happy that you and your girlfriends found our hotel to be such an ideal vacation spot. Thank you also for your positive comments on our staff's level of service, we take great pride in their accomplishments. We look forward to having you back to stay with us soon for another long weekend, or just because!
Voorhees, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

I booked an ocean front room for my 20th anniversary. I am a Marriott rewards member and when making the reservation, asked for a higher floor. We arrived at 4:20 and were told they weren't sure if the room was available. After 10 minutes they said it was (check-in is 4:00PM). We were brought to a corner room with a tiny balcony on the 5th floor facing construction. Wow- a rewards member (at one time concierge level), that has stayed at Marriotts in Australia and St Thomas and across US, celebrating 20th wedding anniversary and paying highest price room available (besides a suite), and that is the "Ocean front" room they reserve for me? I asked to be moved and the only available room was on fourth floor with 2 double beds- so we took it. No apology from management or special comp- take it or leave it. They really don't care here. This is not like any Marriott I've ever stayed at. Very disappointing. I ignored reviews similar to mine and booked anyway. I should have trusted trip advisor reviews !!

• Stayed February 2014
Erenia M, Guest Relations Manager at Marriott Stanton South Beach, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Dear Guest:
The Marriott Stanton South Beach aims to exceed your expectations, which is why I am disappointed to hear about your experience with us. While I am regretful of your troubles, I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with the readers on TripAdvisor. We take your review very seriously and will share your comments with our team in an effort to better our services going forward. My sincerest apologies that your time spent at The Marriott was not ideal. I hope that you will be willing to reach out to me directly to discuss these issues further. I can easily be reached at erenia.moya@marriott.com.
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

This hotel is wonderful. Great value in South Beach. It offers a great location at the south end of South Beach. This is a quieter end of South Beach and a great place to stay with kids. Nice beach, too. Walk to The Big Pink, Joes Stone Crab, and the Prime 112 group of restaurants. The rooms are small but very well appointed and laid out for the size. We had a beautiful ocean view. I feel the rooms are adequately described on the web site and here. The photos are accurate. The two pools are nice and the pool staff was great. We liked the infused waters that changed daily (pool and lobby). Our daughter loved being able to try different waters. And, the Starbucks attached to the hotel is like heaven! The staff was superb: polite, quick to respond to requests, and cheerful. I would definitely stay here again and highly recommend it.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Erenia M, Guest Relations Manager at Marriott Stanton South Beach, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear Guest:
Thank you for your post about your fantastic stay at the Marriott Stanton South Beach ! We pride ourselves on providing our customers with the ultimate South Beach experience and are thankful to be able to interact with such kind and generous guests. We are happy that you found our hotel to be such an ideal vacation spot. Thank you also for your positive comments on our staff's level of service, we take great pride in their accomplishments. Thanks for taking the time to share this review; we'd love to have you back!
Chicago, Il
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel, the price is steep, but so is everything in South Beach.

All of the rooms have been recently remodeled so everything is new and clean. There are stairs leading up to the hotel, so keep that in mind if you have mobility issues, there is an elevator for use, but it is not obvious.

The staff is very friendly overall and work hard with what they have to work with.

The highlights of the hotel, nice rooms, nice beach area with direct access, good views from most rooms. Keep in mind that there is a distinction between "ocean view" and "ocean front" "ocean view" means you may see a glimpse of the ocean if you go to the extreme edge of your balcony and look between the two buildings. Ocean Front means you get full view of the ocean, no gymnastics needed to see it.

The room, to me was efficient, clean and airy but it felt more like a business hotel vs a "contemporary retreat" It seems they are trying to meet the needs of both types of visitors. The decor was very cool and I liked the gray and white theme in the room. I didn't like the long desk against the wall-this is where I guess they are tying to meet the needs for both types of visitors.

The location for me was perfect, away from the noise past 5th st, but still close enough if I wanted to go there. It's surrounded by some of the better restaurants in the area and close to a very nice park by the water, where you can watch the cruise ships come and go, which I wish I had discovered sooner while I was there.

The concierge was very helpful with suggestions and was extremely friendly and thoughtful. He also followed up to make sure that we had a good time with his suggestions.

Free mojitos at 4pm on most days and flavored water in the lobby and by the pool most of the time.

The views from the pool and bar area were fantastic.

Their spot on the beach was also ideal-no complaints there. It was actually cleaner than further down the beach and quieter.

Some quirks:
extra charge for a room with two beds vs a king bed. In most of my travels, I usually want a room with one bed, but I end up getting stuck with the double beds room because every one wants the king sized beds. This was the first time I encountered an extra charge for two single beds. I guess that's to make some money off of the spring break crowds. At the price that they charge I find this ridiculous. The lowest available at one point during my stay, when I checked to see how my rate compared to a last minute booking, was $569 for one room, I can imagine someone feeling squeezed when being asked for an additional amount for a room with two beds.

Internet charge is $14.95, yes you can go down to the lobby and use the slow, free wi-fi. But given that this is 2014, such a steep charge for internet service should be a thing of the past. It's probably a way to make money off of the business travelers with expense accounts.

The sitting area for the lobby is on another level than the check-in area, so few people really used it. That's part of the boutique feel, you have to make do with the space.

Room for improvement:
Charge for beach chairs and umbrellas on the beach, which is managed by a contracted company and it seems that beach chair rentals aren't just for guests of the hotel. So get there early.

Those guys setting up the chairs worked really hard to make sure that guests got what they needed, but it was somewhat chaotic with a few misunderstandings. But they remembered me and greeted me by name each day. They also kept their cool under intense heat, both the sun and cranky guests and locals.

Food service on the beach is slow, first day I was able to order one drink for the 6 hours I spent on the beach. The second one, I walked up to the bar in the hotel because I was tired of waiting. There was still a wait at the bar, because there's only one bartender for the pool, beach, and restaurant. Second day, I raised my flag, asked the beach guys to send the food guys, that took about 3 hours. One food guy showed up without a menu, said he'd be right back and never returned. So we had to wait, to flag down another person. At one point, during this wait I walked to Starbucks and Big Pink to search for alternatives. We were offered free water or lemonade for the wait, but didn't receive that either.

But they did check in on us often after that and were very friendly. Part of the problem is that the restaurant is understaffed. Marriott hire more people, they need the jobs.

It seems like poolside received better service. The flag system-no real system. Didn't work. They are set up randomly, the umbrellas make them hard to see, so the food guys still need to walk around and figure out who ordered what and where they are sitting. Take the time at set up the flags in some type of order in the morning. Use a seating chart, pin it up in the shed.

The drinks were watered down and not worth the $19 each including the 18% service fee. The food needs improvement. $18 for a mahi mahi sandwich which is a chunk of fish between a toasted bun, a piece of tomato and a piece of lettuce and some mayo packets . We asked for fruit instead of fries-guess what-we received fries. But after waiting so long for the food, we were just happy to get anything.

Their restaurant needs to be competitive with the surrounding hotel restaurants.

Plus the poolside received free bottled water, but not those on the beach? I didn't know if that was an option or if what I saw was for a Marriott member with elite status.

According to the front desk staff, beach chairs are available at 9 am. So when you head out to the beach at 9am and the beach staff tells you that they don't start until 9:30 am, you end up causing unnecessary confusion between the guests and the beach staff.

The balcony chairs are uncomfortable, can't really relax in them.

So, I liked the hotel more or less and I'm content with this choice for the quick getaway. It is one of the better options in South Beach.

Room Tip: Remember ocean view and ocean front are different types of rooms.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest:
Thank you for providing such a detailed description of your stay at the Marriott Stanton South Beach. I am pleased to hear you liked our hotel and that you are content with the choice you made for your quick getaway. In regards the constructive feedback you provided to us in your very detailed review, it is important for us to clarify some information. We have a difference in price for bed configurations in order to guarantee our guest's their preferred bed type. The in room wireless internet fee is $12.95 for a 24 hours period with a capability of connecting 5 devices at the same time. As you mentioned in your review, we offer complementary wireless internet at the lobby as well as at all the hotel's amenities. We also have 24 hours business center free of charge to all of our guests. We have great plans to redesign our lobby within the next year and it will have a more comfortable and modern atmosphere. In reference to the beach, it is important for us to point out that it is a public beach and local vendors get special permits from the city to rent chairs and umbrellas. All hotels in the area are subject to the same situation; however, all chairs and umbrellas are free of charge throughout the hotel's wonderful pools. I am sorry that you encountered a few service issues with the beach and pool service and I thank you for bringing this to our attention. You can be rest assured that we take all feedback we receive under serious consideration and use it to improve our guests' experiences every day. We value your business and your input, and I hope that you will consider letting us host you again!
Indy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

My family and I had the pleasure to stay at this hotel during our last vacation. The front desk staff went above and beyond with every request and the pool staff was incredible. This was our first visit to South Beach and this hotel will always be my first choice on any return visits due to the outstanding service provided and the beautiful hotel accommodations.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest:

Been to Marriott Stanton South Beach? Share your experiences!