“Boutique/Big Chain Hotel with some quirks and room for improvement” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Marriott Stanton South Beach

Special Offer
$25 Daily Credit
Ranked #24 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Chicago, Il
“Boutique/Big Chain Hotel with some quirks and room for improvement”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel, the price is steep, but so is everything in South Beach.

All of the rooms have been recently remodeled so everything is new and clean. There are stairs leading up to the hotel, so keep that in mind if you have mobility issues, there is an elevator for use, but it is not obvious.

The staff is very friendly overall and work hard with what they have to work with.

The highlights of the hotel, nice rooms, nice beach area with direct access, good views from most rooms. Keep in mind that there is a distinction between "ocean view" and "ocean front" "ocean view" means you may see a glimpse of the ocean if you go to the extreme edge of your balcony and look between the two buildings. Ocean Front means you get full view of the ocean, no gymnastics needed to see it.

The room, to me was efficient, clean and airy but it felt more like a business hotel vs a "contemporary retreat" It seems they are trying to meet the needs of both types of visitors. The decor was very cool and I liked the gray and white theme in the room. I didn't like the long desk against the wall-this is where I guess they are tying to meet the needs for both types of visitors.

The location for me was perfect, away from the noise past 5th st, but still close enough if I wanted to go there. It's surrounded by some of the better restaurants in the area and close to a very nice park by the water, where you can watch the cruise ships come and go, which I wish I had discovered sooner while I was there.

The concierge was very helpful with suggestions and was extremely friendly and thoughtful. He also followed up to make sure that we had a good time with his suggestions.

Free mojitos at 4pm on most days and flavored water in the lobby and by the pool most of the time.

The views from the pool and bar area were fantastic.

Their spot on the beach was also ideal-no complaints there. It was actually cleaner than further down the beach and quieter.

Some quirks:
extra charge for a room with two beds vs a king bed. In most of my travels, I usually want a room with one bed, but I end up getting stuck with the double beds room because every one wants the king sized beds. This was the first time I encountered an extra charge for two single beds. I guess that's to make some money off of the spring break crowds. At the price that they charge I find this ridiculous. The lowest available at one point during my stay, when I checked to see how my rate compared to a last minute booking, was $569 for one room, I can imagine someone feeling squeezed when being asked for an additional amount for a room with two beds.

Internet charge is $14.95, yes you can go down to the lobby and use the slow, free wi-fi. But given that this is 2014, such a steep charge for internet service should be a thing of the past. It's probably a way to make money off of the business travelers with expense accounts.

The sitting area for the lobby is on another level than the check-in area, so few people really used it. That's part of the boutique feel, you have to make do with the space.

Room for improvement:
Charge for beach chairs and umbrellas on the beach, which is managed by a contracted company and it seems that beach chair rentals aren't just for guests of the hotel. So get there early.

Those guys setting up the chairs worked really hard to make sure that guests got what they needed, but it was somewhat chaotic with a few misunderstandings. But they remembered me and greeted me by name each day. They also kept their cool under intense heat, both the sun and cranky guests and locals.

Food service on the beach is slow, first day I was able to order one drink for the 6 hours I spent on the beach. The second one, I walked up to the bar in the hotel because I was tired of waiting. There was still a wait at the bar, because there's only one bartender for the pool, beach, and restaurant. Second day, I raised my flag, asked the beach guys to send the food guys, that took about 3 hours. One food guy showed up without a menu, said he'd be right back and never returned. So we had to wait, to flag down another person. At one point, during this wait I walked to Starbucks and Big Pink to search for alternatives. We were offered free water or lemonade for the wait, but didn't receive that either.

But they did check in on us often after that and were very friendly. Part of the problem is that the restaurant is understaffed. Marriott hire more people, they need the jobs.

It seems like poolside received better service. The flag system-no real system. Didn't work. They are set up randomly, the umbrellas make them hard to see, so the food guys still need to walk around and figure out who ordered what and where they are sitting. Take the time at set up the flags in some type of order in the morning. Use a seating chart, pin it up in the shed.

The drinks were watered down and not worth the $19 each including the 18% service fee. The food needs improvement. $18 for a mahi mahi sandwich which is a chunk of fish between a toasted bun, a piece of tomato and a piece of lettuce and some mayo packets . We asked for fruit instead of fries-guess what-we received fries. But after waiting so long for the food, we were just happy to get anything.

Their restaurant needs to be competitive with the surrounding hotel restaurants.

Plus the poolside received free bottled water, but not those on the beach? I didn't know if that was an option or if what I saw was for a Marriott member with elite status.

According to the front desk staff, beach chairs are available at 9 am. So when you head out to the beach at 9am and the beach staff tells you that they don't start until 9:30 am, you end up causing unnecessary confusion between the guests and the beach staff.

The balcony chairs are uncomfortable, can't really relax in them.

So, I liked the hotel more or less and I'm content with this choice for the quick getaway. It is one of the better options in South Beach.

Room Tip: Remember ocean view and ocean front are different types of rooms.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Erenia M, Guest Relations Manager at Marriott Stanton South Beach, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Dear Guest:
Thank you for providing such a detailed description of your stay at the Marriott Stanton South Beach. I am pleased to hear you liked our hotel and that you are content with the choice you made for your quick getaway. In regards the constructive feedback you provided to us in your very detailed review, it is important for us to clarify some information. We have a difference in price for bed configurations in order to guarantee our guest's their preferred bed type. The in room wireless internet fee is $12.95 for a 24 hours period with a capability of connecting 5 devices at the same time. As you mentioned in your review, we offer complementary wireless internet at the lobby as well as at all the hotel's amenities. We also have 24 hours business center free of charge to all of our guests. We have great plans to redesign our lobby within the next year and it will have a more comfortable and modern atmosphere. In reference to the beach, it is important for us to point out that it is a public beach and local vendors get special permits from the city to rent chairs and umbrellas. All hotels in the area are subject to the same situation; however, all chairs and umbrellas are free of charge throughout the hotel's wonderful pools. I am sorry that you encountered a few service issues with the beach and pool service and I thank you for bringing this to our attention. You can be rest assured that we take all feedback we receive under serious consideration and use it to improve our guests' experiences every day. We value your business and your input, and I hope that you will consider letting us host you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
Indy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

My family and I had the pleasure to stay at this hotel during our last vacation. The front desk staff went above and beyond with every request and the pool staff was incredible. This was our first visit to South Beach and this hotel will always be my first choice on any return visits due to the outstanding service provided and the beautiful hotel accommodations.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Erenia M, Guest Relations Manager at Marriott Stanton South Beach, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear Guest:
Thank you for your post about your fantastic stay at the Marriott Stanton South Beach ! We pride ourselves on providing our customers with the ultimate South Beach experience and are thankful to be able to interact with such kind and generous guests. We are happy that you found our hotel to be such an ideal vacation spot. Thank you also for your positive comments on our staff's level of service, we take great pride in their accomplishments. Thanks for taking the time to share this review; we'd love to have you back!
Dearborn, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

Still at the hotel 4/7/14. 1st: Seth at the front desk is great! Upgraded our ocean view for ocean front and gave us tons of info on restaurants and stuff to do. Then the room is awesome! The hotel has been remodeled so everything is shiny and new! I'm a neat freak and the room is spotless. We looked under desks for dust (none) and lifted the bedding (nothing) , everything is flawless! Also thank you, Madam Bernadette in housekeeping for all your hard work!

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Guest:
Thank you for your post about your fantastic stay at the Marriott Stanton South Beach! We pride ourselves on providing our customers with the ultimate South Beach experience and are thankful to be able to interact with such kind and generous guests. We are happy that you find our hotel to be such an ideal vacation spot. Thanks for taking the time to share this review; we'd love to have you back!
Northern Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

My family, (Dad, Mom, 16 & 13 year olds) stayed at the Marriott South beach for one night, pre-cruise. We arrived at the hotel at 2:30 pm, plenty of time to go for a walk, sightsee, have a late lunch, hit the beach and pool and then have a late dinner. The Marriott met our desire to do all of these things in a pretty setting close to the water with a comfortable room. We were about 15 minutes from the Cruise Port via taxi. All in all, this Marriott is a very good Pre-cruise hotel.

This Marriott is in South Beach which we had never seen. The hotel is about 5 blocks from the thick of South Beach action, which is great for families, or if you want a quieter stay within walking distance of nightlife. As you leave the hotel, turn right and walk up Ocean Drive, past very interesting Art Deco buildings on your left and the beach on the right. There is an outstanding Gelato stand on the left, about 2 -3 blocks from the hotel. When you get to 7th and Ocean Drive, turn left and walk one block to Collins and you are in the thick of ritzy shops, cool restaurants, fun bars.

For those with mobility issues. The hotel entrance has a semi-steep circular driveway. At the top of the drive, the main entrance is a set of about 15 steps. However, as you face those steps from the bottom, walk to your left, past the Maserati on display in the drive (my 16 year old loved it!) and behind the Maserati is an elevator that will take you to the lobby and the upper floors,

The hotel is a renovated Art Deco building with very modern and comfortable decor in the rooms. The bed was supremely decadent, we had a wonderful nights sleep. The bathrooms are spotless, modern and have showers with a luxurious waterfall/body spray design.

We had a city view room, and could see the cruise ships departing from the port from our balcony . We also saw flocks of "wild" parrots/parakeets roosting in the palm trees.

The staff at this hotel were very friendly. They are good ambassadors for the hotel brand. One of the front desk staff gave us excellent food recommendations to non-touristy places with good food.

The only disappointing part of the hotel was the food in the beach restaurant. It's a pretty spot, the staff is very friendly and very fast with service and the drinks were very good. The food wasn't bad, but it was bland and not a good value for the price. It was on par with what you get at other hotels, so it wasn't horrible, but new recipes and more flavor would be welcome.

There is an interesting tiny Aviary on the hotel's back patio with birds, plants, and other things. The patio has cabanas, a fountain, comfortable lounge chairs, a restaurant/bar, and two pools and a hot tub. It's a pretty, relaxing space with a beautiful view of the beach.

The beach is down a set of about 15 stairs (I didn't see a lift for mobility, so ask the front desk) through a gate and about 200 yards down a brick walkway to the beach access point. Take your room card with you; to get back to the Marriott, you need to use your room card to unlock the gate. The Marriott has a beach chair setup to the left of the access point with a kids' play area stocked with toys, and beach bar service. The chairs have flags you can raise to get beach service. It's a very nice wide beach with clean water, soft sand and easy entry into the water. Sadly, some of the beach patrons left trash near their chairs on the sand, although I saw staff cleaning the beach.

The Marriott is next to a pretty public park, that you can access from the front of the hotel, not from the back. That gives the beach area in front of the Marriott a more quiet feel than further up the beach. It's not private, just not mobbed.

I can definitely recommend this Marriott for Pre-cruise stays. We had a nice stay and it was a great way to kick off our vacation.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest:
Thank you for providing such a detailed description of your stay at the Marriott Stanton South Beach. We pride ourselves on providing our customers with the ultimate South Beach experience and are thankful to be able to interact with such kind and generous guests. We are happy that you found our hotel to be such an ideal vacation spot. We appreciate your feedback in regards to our beach service, we are always looking for ways to improve. Thanks for taking the time to share this review; we'd love to have you back!
Worcester, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

Perfect Location on the Ocean Drive Strip.
Its quiet when you want to sleep. Believe me, we were there during spring break. rooms are quiet.
Its close enough to go out at night to all the clubs and restaurants. You can walk to anything. Everything fun is only about 400-500 yards away.
The beach is 50 feet from your hotel. The service is very good.
The Hotel is spotless and its safe for families.
The rooms are good. They are comfortable for a family of four (2 teenagers). The shower is not very good though. The door swings into the shower. You need to put down some towels. Horrible design. Bathroom is good size, Water pressure Is great , design stinks
All you need in South Beach is a fun attitude, a ton of money, and great pair of very dark sunglasses.
The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. Everyone from the valet to the cleaning folks are first class.
The only cons at this hotel are that they nickel and dime you. You need to pay for WIFI. Its 2014 Marriott. The rooms are already overpriced, add another few bucks and add wifi.
The parking is expensive. Daily rate is $35
The Marriott should also put a ATM on the beach. The drinks and the food are good but way overpriced. But it is South beach.
Bottom line: Hotel is terrific, but bring your wallet, you will need it!!!!

Room Tip: Face the beach. Great view plus there is less noise at night
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Erenia M, Guest Relations Manager at Marriott Stanton South Beach, responded to this review, April 5, 2014
Dear Guest:
I’d like to thank for sharing your experience at the Marriott Stanton South Beach. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay though we apologize for the inconvenience you encountered with the shower in your room. You can be rest assured that we take all feedback we receive under serious consideration. In regards to your comment about the wireless internet fee, it is important for us to point out, we offer complementary wireless internet at the hotel's lobby; we also have a 24 hours business center, free of charge for all our guests. In reference to your comment about our parking fee, please be aware parking is very limited in South Beach and therefore all hotels in the area, as well as city parking lots charge a parking fee. Our hotel does offer a safe place for your vehicle with unlimited in and out access. Thank you for your positive comments on our staff's level of service, we take great pride in their accomplishments. Should you plan to visit our area again, I hope The Marriott Stanton South Beach will be your preferred choice for your home away from home.
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

Love this hotel! Have stayed in the past with kids, this trip was just us. Great location on the quiet(ish) end of Ocean Dr.
Friendly staff. Deco restaurant has great fish tacos. Kirwin's by the driveway has the best toasted coconut ice cream. And my other favorite--Starbucks is right there too.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest:
It is always a pleasure to welcome our previous guests back. Thank you for your post about your fantastic stay at the Marriott Stanton South Beach! We pride ourselves on providing our customers with the ultimate South Beach experience and are thankful to be able to interact with such kind and generous guests. We are happy that you find our hotel to be such an ideal vacation spot. Thanks for taking the time to share this review; we look forward to serving you again soon and hearing your feedback after your return stay.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

The rooms and location of this hotel was excellent. I did not have the chance to partake in any of the amenities of the hotel because I was in town for a business conference. But the location is right on South Beach and the views from the patio are nice. While I was at the hotel there was construction on the street side of the hotel and woke up to backing trucks in the mornings so that was a slight negative for me.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Erenia M, Guest Relations Manager at Marriott Stanton South Beach, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Dear Guest:
I’d like to thank for sharing your experience at the Marriott Stanton South Beach. While I am happy to hear that you liked our location and our views, I would like to express my apologies for the interruption you experienced due to the construction that is currently taking place across the street. Miami Beach is a city that's growing and there are quite a few constructions taking place in the area. Unfortunately, we do not have control over it, however, I highly suggest you reserve an ocean front room for your next stay at our hotel. Above all, we wish for our guests to have the most attentive and superior service possible, and we make it our priority to provide that. For business or pleasure, should you plan to visit our area again, I hope The Marriott Stanton South Beach will be your preferred choice for your home away from home.

Been to Marriott Stanton South Beach? Share your experiences!