“Great Birthday girls trip” 5 of 5 stars

25% Off + FREE Upgrade
Ranked #14 of 202 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
“Great Birthday girls trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

This was by far the best experience we have had on a girls getaway. From the moment we pulled up to check in the staff was amazing. Right upon checking in we were offered champagne - and then we knew for sure we picked the right spot to stay. The rooms were very clean as was the entire hotel.. Everywhere we turned we were greeted with a smile and friendly message. The hotel is right on the ocean - which in my opinion you cannot beat. The beach chairs by the ocean were great and the pool was fantastic. The pool & cabana attendants went out of their way to make sure we were never without drinks or food when needed and even helped up cure our hangovers with bitters!!! Each night they have complimentary wine and in the morning tea & coffee - a very nice touch indeed. When Keith the bellman found out we were celebrating a birthday he offered us a bottle of champagne before heading out for the evening - and then took great pictures with us too. The front desk staff were amazing too and Jenny especially gave us great tips for breakfast, etc. There really is no reason to stay anywhere else when visiting Miami!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
SeanFlanigan, General Manager at Surfcomber Miami South Beach, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Tammi,

Everytime I see a review with team members names I know we did it right. Thank you for shouting out some of our rock stars, Jenny and Keith. I'll be sure to share this review with them, they will love to hear they made your stay one to remember!!

Make the birthday trip an annual trip, see you next year!

Sean Flanigan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
las vegas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

First of all, I made the mistake of booking with a third party and the hotel would not honor my Kimpton In Touch membership. They have two color wristbands that they give to guests: one for In Touch members and one for "other guests". I don't know what the difference is except no newspaper and no points, which was disappointing. I would have booked directly with the hotel if I knew I wasn't going to get credit. Obviously, Orbitz doesn't want you to know that or they would have put a disclaimer on the reservation.

Anyway, we checked into the Surfcomber for a three night stay. Our room was not ready, and we were told it would not be long and the receptionist would call us when it was ready. She promised to "work her magic". We did not get a call until 3:45, which was 15 minutes before the 4pm check in time. I understand if the room is not ready early, but it would have been nice if she was up front with us.

Otherwise, the staff was very attentive and gave great restaurant suggestions. At wine hour, they brought the wine to us in our seats and even got us some olives to snack on as we are vegetarians and they were serving some sort of pork as a snack.

The rooms are on the smaller side, but when you're at the beach, you don't want to spend a lot of time in the room.

There is a resort fee that gets you chairs at the beach, but it you want an umbrella, it's an additional $19, which seems like a bit of a rip off. But the water was lovely, so we didn't really use the chairs.

Still, it was a nice hotel with very friendly staff. We went to Key West for a few days and decided to book a room back at the Surfcomber for our last night in Miami.

Room Tip: book a courtyard room. they are bigger.
blazer,

Thank you for the feedback about your experience with us. I am happy to hear that you decided to come back and visit us after your trip to Key West and hope you will come back and visit us again soon.

Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We just stayed at the Surfcomber last weekend for my birthday and it was an amazing time! The resort is fantastically located on the best stretch of beach within walking distance of tons of great shopping and nearly every good restaurant. Most of the other neighboring hotels are high rises that seemed to have a very stuffy vibe, but Surfcomber provides that perfect mix of fabulous service and high end touches with a warm and casual vibe. My husband and I didn't bring our kids but felt like they would have had a great time at this hotel. I saw staff go out of their way to accommodate them (like bringing out large wood blocks for the free wine hour or helping parents load kids onto floating mats in the pool). Speaking of the free wine hour, that is just one of the example of what makes this such a great place. I felt every staff member I had contact with went above and beyond to be warm and helpful! The bottle of wine chilling in our room on my birthday was just icing on the cake of all the great service. The beach staff even made sure all our belongings were covered when we had wandered down the beach and it started raining before we got back!

The hotel is spotlessly clean. Rooms and bathrooms aren’t especially large, but this is a historic building with extremely cool architectural character and I’m sure Kimpton had to work within the confines of the structure. The room was one of our favorite we have ever stayed in because of the ocean view balcony overlooking the pool area, which was large enough to hold two lounger chairs plus three arm chairs! We will absolutely be back very soon.

Room Tip: The ocean view balcony room is worth the extra money if you will be spending a good amount of time a...
Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Jennifer G,

Thank you for such a terrific review. I am smiling from ear to ear knowing that we made this year's birthday one of the best ever. That's huge. Happy belated!

Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

This is the best place to stay while visiting Miami. The staff (Brian and Chris - to mention two) are the best. All the staff are great and so helpful. They will do anything for you and are always smiling.
The free wine and nibbles every evening in the foyer is a nice touch.
The pool which never closes is so nice as are all the pool staff.
Just step outside the gate to the beach - the beautiful beach.
Security is great too - Location is good,walking distance to shops and you must visit the Holocaust Memorial, very emotional.

Travellotz66,

Thank for your review. We love hosting wine hour, because who doesn't love a glass of wine to end their day or begin their evening?

Hope to see you again soon!
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We just returned yesterday from the hotel and I am inclinded to review the hotel immediately to show just how much I enjoyed my stay. The staff at this resort is genuine, helpful, and a huge reason that we will be return visitors to the property. Not only did they present us with a bottle of champagne after my wife mentioned it was our anniversary, but provided tips and great suggestions throughout our stay. The hotel is centrally located in South Beach so you are a block from Lincoln Road Shopping, but also within a short walk of the Art Deco district. We enjoyed relaxation by the pool and the beach and loved the free social wine hour from 5-6PM daily. I think everyone loved that because there was a buzz when it was "wine time." Stayed at this property because of the reviews and can see now why people stay here. It didn't have that "house music" blaring feeling of SLS Hotel or some of the other higher end properties.

Marvelous_Travelers,

Thank you for such an awesome review. Happy Anniversary!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Once again, the Kimpton pulled off another great meeting for me and my group. From the sales process through to the completion of the meeting was seamless.
The accommodations were immaculate, well appointed and comfortable. The front desk was accommodating and soooo friendly! Every request was met with a smile, kind word and a professional attitude that is difficult to maintain in the hospitality industry.
Conducting my meeting was a great experience. Everything was on schedule and what I ordered. The staff overseeing my meeting was professional and seemed happy to be a part of our group. The meal choices were fantastic and the food was amazing...especially considering it was a meeting. No rubber chicken here.
One quick touch that impressed my entire team. When I sent my rooming list to the hotel, one of my guests was being funny and added to special requests, "I would love to have a cute blonde waiting for me". I forgot to erase that comment and upon our arrival, my guest was greeted with a note stating that the blonde would be arriving soon.
when he returned to his room, he found a picture of a puppy, photo-shopped with a blonde wig! It stayed with us the entire time we were at the hotel and during our meetings. Adding to the amazing service, the team was creative and fun!

Room Tip: try to request off the street side of the hotel. a bit noisy.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Lenoretravels,

I am laughing out loud about the cute blonde in the wig. My team was so excited to do that and I'm happy to hear everyone in your group got a kick out of it. We take our guests preferences very seriously, as you can see :)

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Surfcomber Miami is another example of how the Kimpton chain gets it right. From the minute you get to the front desk greeted by the perfect smiles of Michelle and Clayton, you know the hotel will give you all the service you could possibly need and more. The room is spotless and the housekeeping staff go out of their way to make sure you have everything you could possibly need. My housekeeper even wrote me a sweet inspirational note. The pool staff is fantastic. Robert and Chris were on the ball and entertaining. All the pool attendants were there to make your day perfect. Happy Hour was always an important part of the day led by the new manager Chris M. We decided together that the pool is missing Bingo, with Kimpton prizes like robes and the yoga mat as the big prizes of the day. ( if you want to see how much fun the Kimpton spirit can be , watch the yoga mat / Kimpton video on utube. Chris also made us a reservation at the restaurant BLT, which I highly recommend.
Whatever you do, don't miss out on drinks and the seared tuna appetizer at The Social Club in the lobby. There you will be greeted by the gorgeous Chad and Ehren (where does Kimpton find so many qualified people who also happen to be model looking? ) If you stay at the bar long enough, you may get to meet chef Doug who whipped up a delicious fish dish that we are still talking about. I have stayed at all the Miami "musts," The Delano , Fountainbleu and The Tides, but trust me , if service , hospitality and a friendly and smart staff is what makes you happy, the Surfcomber will be the hotel you want to visit again and again. Join the in-touch program and the Surfcomber will let you raid the mini bar, give you $10 a day worth of food at the resort and treat you like a king and queen. Dr. AK

• Stayed September 2013
Dr AK,

It was a pleasure getting to talk to you while you were here visiting us. Thanks for such a FANTASTIC review!!

I am sure we'll see you soon. Don't make us wait too long!

Sean Flanigan

Been to Surfcomber Miami South Beach, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!