“Huge security issues, not a safe place to stay” 1 of 5 stars

Fly South This Winter
Ranked #13 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Newport Beach, California, United States
“Huge security issues, not a safe place to stay”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I would like to start my review by saying I don't like giving poor reviews, but in this case I feel it is only right to warn potential guests of the problems I encountered while at the Surfcomber Hotel.

In my line of work I travel a lot. On average about 70 days a year and normally I love Kimpton Hotels as I think the rooms, service, and staff are all excellent. After my experience with Surfcomber Hotel in Miami Beach I will never stay at another Kimpton hotel again. The moment my cab pulled up to the door a bellhop greeted us and told us to get out of the rain and that he would bring our bags inside. We walked inside, and when the bellman walked in he had everyone's bag except for mine. The cab had taken off and all we had was the cabbies name, as security could not look at the cameras until the next day. I asked that the GM, Sean, contact me as soon as he was in the following day. The next day I came down to the front desk and politely asked for Sean, and they said he would get back to me and that they still hadn't checked the tapes. Through my 5 day stay in the same clothes I still had not heard or seen the GM even though twice a day I would ask for him. Long story short, I lost about 6 thousand dollars because the bellman missed my bag, and the GM Sean wouldn't even take the time for a phone call to address my concerns. The only consolation I got was a $6 glass of cheap Prossecco for my problems.

Second security issue. I was sleeping in my room and about 7:00 in the morning another couple walks into my room and turns on the lights scaring me half to death. Sitting in my underwear, I ask them what they are doing in my room and they say they just checked in to this room. The next day my key doesn't work and I ask the front desk what happened, with no apology, the front desk said that their computers had a glitch and it checked me out 3 days early so they checked another couple in.... ????? My mind is blown, this place has some huge security issues and terrible management.

I have a few other issues like roomservice never showing up, etc... but just thinking about this terrible trip wears me out. If this isn't warning enough, all I can do is wish you the best of luck.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
SeanFlanigan, General Manager at Surfcomber Miami South Beach, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Nathan D,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent visit. Sorry to read about how you felt after you stayed with us and how feel the team handled the situation. The safety and security of our guests and employees is our number one priority. I did leave a voicemail for you when the situation was brought to my attention and I have not heard back from you. If you can contact me directly at sean.flanigan@surfcomber.com or 305-779-3804, it would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,
Sean Flanigan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

This is a great hotel for its size and location. The Kimpton brand has a high reputation for service and it shows the moment you step inside. Their lobby is very open and inviting; you actually enjoy sitting here having one of their outstanding cocktails from Chad or Ricky. Speaking of libations, order The Eighth Day - fantastic drink! Atmosphere is laid back and the staff always cater to your needs. I highly recommend staying here on the off-season. Location cannot be beat - a block away from Lincoln Mall (outside mall) and several blocks from the strip. You will have no problem walking/riding in South Beach.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Surfcomber_Nick, Director of Operations at Surfcomber Miami South Beach, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
flavorcountry-

Thank you for the recent stay and review. We are glad to hear Ricky and Chad kept you hydrated with their delicous cocktails! We look foward to seeing you at the Social Club again!

Regards,

Nick
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I visited the Surfcomber for my 25th Birthday, and the moment I stepped foot inside the hotel everyone made me feel at home. Clayton checked me in, and he gave me a free upgrade to a Courtyard Room. Once I got to my room, they had a bottle of Champagne, cupcakes, Birthday balloons, and handwritten Birthday cards waiting for me. This was honestly the best surprise I’ve ever had waiting for me. The hotel room was immaculately clean and a pretty good size.

In addition to a warm greeting and a good size room, the pool was AMAZING!!! It is a heated pool that is open 24 hours a day (my friends and I went swimming right after we came from partying). Jonathan Hernandez and Chris Bones who were working by the pool were two of the nicest guys you will ever meet. They made sure we were having a good time and that we had everything we wanted and needed. They were always working nonstop, making sure all guests were happy and they took great pride in everything they did!

The hotel is right on the beach, and we were given two beach chairs to lounge on the beach with towels included.

ALL OF MY FUTURE VISITS TO MIAMI WILL BE DONE AT THE SURFCOMBER!!!!

Pros:
The employees are warm and welcoming and go out of their way to make sure all guests are happy and feel at home
The pool is a heated pool and open 24 hours
Room service is available 24 hours just in case you want a late night snack
The hotel is right on the beach so you literally only have to take 5 steps and you’re on the beach
They provide valet parking and I never had to wait more than 5-10 minutes for my car (this is UNCOMMON for any hotel)
WIFI is free if you sign up to be a Kimpton Intouch Member (this is free!)
They have a minibar you can get items from (you get a 10 dollar Raid the Minibar Credit to use)
The food is delicious with great prices (restaurants on Ocean Drive were way more expensive and the service couldn’t compare to the service we got at the hotel)
There is happy hour (the Sangria is the best!)

Cons:

NONE!!!

F.Y.I – They charge a 100 dollar Incidental Fee per night (this is standard hotel practice since the hotel lets you charge items to your room). This is taken off at the end of your trip if you don’t incur any charges.

P.S. Clayton, Chris M., Jonathan Hernandez (Pool), and Chris Bones (Pool) are the best!!!!!!!! They all deserve raises. ;)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
SeanFlanigan, General Manager at Surfcomber Miami South Beach, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 15, 2013
Joshua_Corchado,

Thanks Josh! I know the perfect place for your birthday next year, what do you think?

Happy Belated,
Sean Flanigan
Houston, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

This is a great hotel. The bellmen, Dorgis Delgado is very sincere, courteous and professional, as well as his colleague Erick. Great hotel & great people who work there, especially Dorgis & Erick. We obtained this hotel through SWA Vacations. I'm glad that we went here and we will be returning as soon as possible.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Savannah, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I had so much fun in Miami Beach! The stay at the Surfcomber was excellent! The room was unique and the service was the best; everyone was friendly. This hotel added greatly to my overall experience in Miami.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

You know that friend who has the uncanny knack of throwing a party together effortlessly with the perfect balance of music, libations coupled with an interesting mix of people? That is what Surfcomber is like. Laid-back cool folks who invite you to a great party and let you wander in and out at your leisure. Comfy room that is furnished with what you need (including a yoga mat if you need a little up dog) and edits out the extraneous to ensure "room harmony". The grounds are awesome--long stretch of pool flanked by numerous lounge chairs and 2-story cabanas dressed in gauzy curtains on either side of the pool! Life-size farm animals humorously graze about the grounds. Beach bar beyond the pool, bikes available to tour about the Art-Deco District, Beach and ocean out backyard of property. FAB LOCATION. FAB HOSTS. STAY HERE!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

10 of us stayed at this South Beach Hotel for a Bachelorette Party in May. They have done a decent job upgrading an older hotel and service was great, but for the amount we paid to stay there, it was disapointing to be woken up early each morning to hear people talking in the hallway, kids running and laughing, just a lot of noise through the thin walls. The service at the pool was average at best and the food was not great but also not terrible. If you are looking for the whole South Beach pool scene, there are better places to find it. All that being said, the location was great, it has beach access and the bar inside was very nice. Like i said, nothing special, but if you find a great deal or something, go for it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Surfcomber Miami South Beach, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!