“Service exceeded my expectations!” 5 of 5 stars

Upgrades Breakfast - $5
Ranked #18 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Service exceeded my expectations!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Loved this place. The staff really goes above and beyond to make you feel at home. My dog was treated like royalty they brought him a bed and he was greeted by name everywhere he went. My children were given cute goodie bags upon arrival and when my son tripped they tended to him and treated his "wounds". The location is perfect, you walk right out onto the strip. Will definitely recommend this place!

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
Durham, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Loved everything about this hotel.
Location - on the beach with gate to boardwalk, short walk to Lincoln Road mall, short walk to Ocean Drive. Easy access from airport bus.
Building - 1940's classic design, only 4 stories high so much more attractive than some of its neighbours. Funky interior design - random cows and sheep that are re-located throughout hotel and grounds, great fun. Free coffee available in reception every morning 6-10 am.
Pool - great size pool, although cold throughout our stay, with loads of sunbeds and the pool guys (Chris and Bryan) did a great job setting up your beds where you wanted them complete with covers and towels. They ensured that unused beds had towels removed to make plenty of availability and we never had a problem getting a bed. They also bring around iced water for guests and there is a supply of sun cream. The best bit is the free wine tasting around the pool 5-6pm every day. Only down side was loud music from hotel next door - especially loud over the weekend.
Room - received a free upgrade as members of Kimpton Loyalty. Expected room to be small but it was quite adeqaute, well- furnished and very comfortable bed. Upgrade provided a view onto courtyard rather than a brick wall. Bathroom was small but very modern, clean and a strong shower. We had requested a coffee maker and that was in the room when we arrived.
Breakfast - the only disappointment really. Choice of toast or croissant with coffee and orange juice although you could pay for other items. Could do better than this as it lets down the standard of the hotel.
All staff extremely pleasant and helpful at all times. Would stay here again and again.

Room Tip: Join Kimpton Loyalty and you get an upgrade. The rooms looked the same but the outlook is better.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

I'm a local so I tend to be more critical of our hotels and the usually crappy service we have down here as a norm....specially on South Beach. Everyone wondered why I was staycationing ten minutes from home....crazy? Well, as it turns out, it was one of the best breaks we've had. The service was excellent. Special thanks go out to Chris M. And Chris the pool attendant for being so nice and attentive, specially with the toddlers. They even have a play area set up on the sand with sand toys so you dont have to worry about bringing/buying any. We used the cabanas every day which are basically free since they only require a nominal food/beverage charge. Everything at the hotel was really clean and the decor was very funky/eclectic. Kimpton did a fabulous job on the small property. My teens enjoyed use of the gym. There was a yoga class on the beach on Saturday morning. The food by the pool is delicious (try the seared tuna) as inside at the Social Club (they obvercooked my steak but the manager promptly offered to replace it and gave us a free dessert!). The Social Club mixologist has outdone him/herself with the delicious concoctions. The drink specials by the pool were fantastically priced (for the beach anyway). The lineup of DJs by the pool were great all weekend and the music was comfortable for all ages (respectfully drowning out the too-loud SLS next door).....I could go on and on. The room wasn't cheap but we were here over the Fourth of July weekend and the SLS next door was twice the price as was the Delano next to that. Whether you're traveling with family, as a couple, or just friends checking out the nightlife on SoBe I could not recommend any hotel more.

Stayed July 2013
Surfcomber_Nick, Director of Operations at Surfcomber Miami South Beach, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
lawjgedwar-

What a fabulous review! Thank you for deciding to come and 'staycation' with us. We are happy to hear that Chris & Chris took great care of you by the pool! Yoga on Saturday is one of our most popular events glad that you could participate. We are always looking to add more activities for our guests. We look foward to hosting your next getaway!

NIck
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Perfect location with nice pool and beach access. Walk to everything. Service was great, esp at the pool (thanks, Chris!). Ice cold water available 24/7 is a big plus in the heat. Bathroom is small, but was not a problem for two people. Only downside was the beds - too hard for our taste. Pillowtop mattress cover and upgraded linens would make this a 5 star.

• Stayed July 2013
Mlg1937-

Thank you for your recent stay and feedback. It was nice to hear you had a great time by the pool. We will certainly revisit our bedding packages to ensure a comfortable stay for our guests. We look foward to welcoming you back in the future.

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

I live on south beach and dropped by for a quick drink and a snack at social club..
I was on my way out on the town so I was not sure what to get. i eventually ordered the scallops and a drink called "28 days later" recommended by Richard.
Both were AMAZING.
Richard was so nice and helpful.
His patience and demeanor made me feel so welcome I decided to stay for a second drink..
I wish social Club was open late night because I would not have left..
I met Serena the manager and had to tell her how great a time I had..
The drinks, food, and ESP Richard's customer service will keep me coming back for more! :)

• Stayed June 2013
Hi lara b-

It is great to hear you discovered Social Club! The Scallops are the best! Be sure to check out "Punch the Clock" everyday from 5-8pm where we serve Pisco Punch for the price of the hour ($5 at 5:00, $6 at 6:00, etc) Delicious!

-Nick
essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

This was our second time at a Kimpton Hotel, and we were as impressed with this one as the last.
The staff are friendly and very helpful, and the service wonderful.
Yes, the bathroom is a little small, but every other thing cancels out this one negative.
We travel a lot, and when a hotel offers complimentary coffee and wine, it really makes them stand out from the rest.
We stay at a lot of high end hotels, but sometimes get fed up with paying for EVERY little thing, so this makes Kimpton a refreshing change from some others.
Definitely had a wonderful time, and would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Maybe take a courtyard room to avoid street noise
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi wendiEssex -

Thank you for your recent stay with us! We are happy to hear of a second great experience with Kimpton. In addition to our complimentary coffee don't forget about the wine hour!! We will be looking foward to your return visit.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

For years we stayed at the Ritz, a block away. It was not until I was looking for a trip for my husband's birthday that I saw there was a Kimpton in SOBE, with direct beach access. I had known of the Surfcomber as a Doubletree with so-so reviews, if that, so when I saw that Kimpton took it over and scrubbed it up I was intrigued. I am a fan of the Kimpton brand. They treat their guest as just that, special guests. There is nothing too big or too small for them to do to make sure your trip is perfect an I am pleased to say the same is true at the Surfcomber.

The service started before we got there with emails with Michelle, head of customer services. She was a dream. We got there, got to our room and there were balloons, a bottle of Prosecco on ice, a huge red velvet cupcake and a birthday card (none of which I planned or asked for). Of course, Clayton at the front desk was as friendly as could be when he checked us in and every day thereafter as he greeted us by name and asked us if there was anything we needed. They have a new concierge, whose name I have forgotten, who is sweet, friendly and helpful and who does not steer you to the expensive touristy options. What is amazing is everybody there is nice, attentive, and they take the time to talk to you, not just the hello, bye bye.

Even the beach crew, who are not affiliated with Kimpton (I was shocked when I found this out) went above and beyond. They were right there for drink orders at noon, of course, and the first to say when they took to long with something with a "sorry" and a free drink. (Nothing says Sorry like free alcohol.)

We lucked out as far as rooms go...or was that Michelle doing magic again? I booked the Oceanfront(view) King with balcony. I had an option to upgrade to a oceanfront suite, without a balcony but opted out of that as I wanted the balcony, and what a smart move that was. This is no balcony, it is a terrace, with two lunge chairs to sun and two regular chairs and a table under an awning to read the paper with your free coffee in the morning. Who needs a suite when you have your own outdoor living room?

We ate lunch there many days and it was not only good, but not your overpriced beach menu. Honestly, they had one of the best burgers I have had, cooked to a perfect medium rare and topped with taleggio cheese. We all know how much hotels like to gouge you for breakfast, not here. You can get a full breakfast for around $13, as compared to $30-$40 at some places, and if you are like me and just want coffee and a muffin the coffee is free in the lobby and you can buy a muffin off the lobby for $4.

This is a wonderful place and we will be back.

Room Tip: My favorite, room 237.
Green Features: Kimptons are known for their commitment to the environment and other good causes. They are also very LBGT friendly, very.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
JMSamuel-

Thank you for sharing your great experience! I loved reading how Michelle, Clayton, and Nicole (our newest Concierge) took such great care of you! We will share the great feedback with the entire team. We look foward to seeing you soon!

Nick

Been to Surfcomber Miami South Beach, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!