“Wonderful time in Sobe” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Wonderful time in Sobe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Okay I've stayed at many boutiques in South Beach and this is definitely one of the best! The pool is huge (for maimi standard) and beautifully maintained.

Good to know:
- Don't be afraid to ask (we got a bottle of prosecco and breakfast vouchers).
- Wine hour (5-6pm daily) is amazing, we had about 2-3 glasses of sangria every night.
- The hotel also has Happy Hour from 5-7pm with special $5 drink and $5-7 punch drink (pretty damn strong).
- Take advantage of the hotel activities - we did yoga on the beach (only 3 of us showed up) and the instructor was super attentive.
- We did have the rooms facing the street but the earplugs I got from the hotel were able to keep the noises out.
- Pool attendees were very friendly (shut out to Jonathan and Marco).
- Lunch menu at Lantao was tasty and fairly priced..but the wait could take a while (if order by the pool).
- Awesome amenities: flavored water,coffee in the AM,ice tea in the PM, 24/7 gym and pool, and sunblocks by the pool.

I've stayed at the Kimpton before and this one definitely exceeded the one in Philly.

Room Tip: if you can't get the rooms on the north facing tower, at least get one facing the street as the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Surfcomber_Nick, Director of Operations at Surfcomber Miami South Beach, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Mayonaka-

Thank you for the recent stay and great review of Surfcomber! We are happy to hear you enjoyed your time in South Beach with us and especially enjoyed our sunny pool deck. We look foward to welcoming you back soon! Oh, and we loved that piece about beating our Philly property ;) nothing like a little friendly competition for us hoteliers!

Nick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

After checking out of another hotel in a hurry, we found the Surfcomber and were thankful the place offered clean rooms, minus digusting insects.

We arrived to the hotel in the middle of the night to celebrate my birthday. Hot, disturbed and frustrated after traveling all day, we were greeted at the cab and our luggage wisked away by bell attendant (Kenny or Andrew, I believe?). The attendant observed and listened to us go on about the other hotel, immediately understanding the type of day we had... offered us each a glass of champagne while we waited for David at the front desk to check us in.

David at the front desk is simply the best, he offered us the unlimited edition of EXCELLENT customer service throughout our stay. He immediately took notice on my license that it was my birthday and offered without reqeust to update our accomodations. When you visit, make to compliment him (all of the front desk staff) on their lovely purple/blue stripped J.Crew uniforms with the cutest bow ties.

Benjamin, Concierge - entertaining and full of helpful tips throughout your stay. Ben is the type fo person you'd want to put in your pocket and take back with you home. Serious skils and a gift to gab, which is super helpful when you are in need of suggestions on things to do.

Chris, Service Mgr Front desk - AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! Polite, very accomodating, attentative and super friendly............. Thanks Chris for the special surprise........

Pool Attendants, Bartender and Hostess, special mentions for the absolute outstanding service during our stay:

Marco - thanks for always making sure i had everything we needed around the pool, no matter the time of day.

Chris B - my friend Dee said, "thanks for the highlights and your ear during her stay" and "you were always so helpful with finding a place in the shade".

Kris - great smile and we loved that you too were always just a earshot away, or by the cabanas making sure Chris B was taking care of us... :-)

"Blue Finger" - must stop by the hotel bar at least once during your stay. If your bartender aka Blue Finger is working, ask him to create one of his magical concoctions. One drink is enough, but the second will put you in the mood and make you tipsy ;0)

Carolina - spicy hostess who made us feel like we were apart of the Surfcomber family during our first in-house wine hour 5pm - 6pm. She is definitely a spite fire, full of engery and great recommendations on places to go ........from dinner, mid-day activities, and night-life. Make sure to stop down during Wine Hour and/or Happy Hour, she is great conversation. Dee and Kymm say hello!

Reasons to stay at the Surfcomber: May 30th - June 4th
* Hotel lobby is incredibly decorated
* All of the hotel staff, from cleaning services up to Managment are always available and helpful
* Fresh fruit in filtered water always available throughout the hotel property to keep you hydrated
*Rooms are stylish, beds are super comfortable, and quaint
* Steps from beach and based on hotel package, have use of two beach chairs/daily
*Excellent location for all group types; families, friends who love to party, couples and singles

Modifications we thought might help improve our stay from Excellent to Superb;

* recommend updating the in-house attractions / happy hour - guests would love to stay local if music was played (non-elevator themed)
* Get the word out better on in-house events to surrounding areas or guest patrons (in-room calendar incorrectly stated 9pm-12am event)
* Lantao - should not advertise "Fish tacos", when in fact they are simple asian rice bread fluffs with no contents at $10...... Or just revamp the menu to better caterer the happy hour off the street patrons.

**************************************************************************************************************

Overall, I loved my stay and I am looking to return before end of year to relax in the sun.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the pool or walk way, no need to worry about noise, because the windows are do...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
kymm530-

WOW - Loved this review! Thank you for making my day with all of the great comments. My favorite part was about David with his "unlimited edition of EXCELLENT customer service throughout our stay". We will be sure to share all of your great comments with the team. We will also be sure to use your constructive criticism as we strive to offer a better experience. We look foward to welcoming you back soon!

Washington DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

This is our second stay in the Surfcomber, the first was in August 2012. We enjoyed our stay once again this second time around.

Lantao, the restaurant was excellent for dinner. We had Car as the server- couldn't ask for more. And we also met the manager, Ehren, who we chatted with, very pleasant and friendly, he also gave us suggestions about South Beach, he's a great addition to this place.

Breakfast is another story, their continental breakfast in particular is a disappointment. We ordered it as a room service once (continental breakfast in the menu says pastries, fruits, coffee and juice) we also ordered an egg item. When we received the breakfast, the pastries were missing, so we called for the missing pastries, and they said they will deliver it. After 15 minutes of waiting, we called again for the pastries, but this time they said the continental comes with either the pastries or toasts, we did get some toasts but they were for the eggs that we also ordered, we didn't argue at this time. Another time we ate breaksfast at Lantao, one of my friends ordered the continental breakfast against my suggestion, he did receive a pastry (1 piece), it was a very hard croissant- we had to laugh it off. Suggestion to room service also, bring salt and pepper with any egg orders.

We also ate at the front bar/restaurant a couple of times. There's a server/bartender who always does a great job, she also works at the bar by the pool, I really wish I can remember her name because she was also great the first time we stayed in Surfcomber last August, she has long braided hair. I'll remember her name next time we stay here. The house keeping did an excellent job on our stay. The front desk were all very nice and friendly, but I remember the August 2012 staff as more experienced and welcoming, especially when we were coming back at night. Spent some time at the pool this time and the pool staff were all around great and friendly.

Would I stay here again? yes. Would I recommend this place? yes.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Jonann D-

Thank you for the return visit to Surfcomber! We are happy to hear you had another great stay overall. I am very sorry to hear we completely dropped the ball with your in room dining. We will certainly make adjustments to ensure we are delivering orders promptly, accurately, and with the correct condiments. I will be sure to pass on the great comments to Car, Ehren, and the rest of the departments you mentioned. Thank you again, and we look foward to seeing you soon!

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I am a big fan of Kimpton Hotels! For starters, the exclusive aroma of the Kimpton hotel lobbies is what "had me at hello". I have stayed in Kimpton owned hotels in New York, Washington D.C., and Alexandria so of course I knew that the Surfcomber would be the perfect place to stay for my friend's bachelorette party. We arrived early in the day and enjoyed the pool and a delicious lunch in the Lantao Social Club located in the lobby. The staff was very friendly and extremely helpful to ensure that we were enjoying our stay. They even offered some complimentary champagne as we waited for our room to be ready for check-in. The location is central to the "must-see & do's" of South Beach. The girls and I began our night with dinner at the Lantao Kitchen restaurant located in the hotel as well and I must say that both the service and the food were spectacular! I live in Miami so I frequently visit many hotels on the beach, but what I truly loved about this hotel was it's sociable staff. I wish I would've noted everyone's names down that were there that weekend to put in a good word for each and every one of them! The hotel has also been remodeled and redecorated with a more modern beach style so it gives the perfect "South Beach" feel. I will be returning soon and will be highly recommending this hotel to others.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Jennine P-

Thank you for taking the time to share your great experience with the TripAdvisor community! I am happy to hear you had a great stay! The champagne at check in is just one more reason to join our InTouch Loyalty Program. Oh, and I love the Social Club's new menu... great to hear you enjoyed as well. We look foward to seeing you soon!

Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

Really enjoyed our stay at the Surfcomber - 5 nights in a balcony ocean King room.

Well serviced, great location, nice pool and beach access, pleasant happy hour, friendly and helpful staff.

Would I stay again? In a heartbeat.

• Stayed June 2013
Surfcomber_Nick, Director of Operations at Surfcomber Miami South Beach, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
CLGS_GS -

Thank you for your recent stay at Surfcomber. We are happy to hear you had a great time! We look foward to welcoming you back in the future!

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We stayed for five nights in late April and early May. The location is great to explore from 24th Street to 14th Street on foot and Downtown and the airport are a short cab ride away. Shopping is handy in Lincoln Road and the nearby area includes numerous quality restaurants and bars. The staff is helpful, friendly, and very knowledgeable. The restaurant offers good quality dishes and the bar has a great menu. The pool area offers cosy corners to chill and the beach access is conveniently located right behind the pool. The hotel's beach facilities are also very nice. Make sure you get to know about and make the most of the resort facilities once you check in.

Room Tip: King Deluxe very nice for a couple, very quiet on second floor
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
OG1972-

Thank you for the excellent review! I really loved hearing about our "helpful, friendly, and knowledgeable" staff. We will be sure to share the compliments!

We look foward to seeing you again soon.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is fine, nothing spectacular. The location of The Surfcomber is perfect - near Lincoln Street, big hotels, dining, and restaurants. The room is decent, but I was expecting more from our room and the hotel. The bathroom can only fit 1 person at a time - it is tiny. We paid $345/night incl. taxes, which is not cheap IMO. I would have paid more and stayed at the SLS or Delano.

The crowd for the most part is younger (though I've seen some families here).

The pool is fine, and I wouldn't recommend a first level cabana unless you want to sit in a cement box with no sunshine.

The service is great though - the beach attendants are very friendly, and Clayton and Valerie were helpful. They let us have an extended check out which was nice since we had a late afternoon flight home.

I guess this review is also a bit skewed because we had just come from the Acqualina in Sunny Isles which was extraordinary and elegant.

I think if you're looking for a basic room with a great location, this is a good choice. If you're looking for a bit more luxury, I would go somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2013
jwns-

Thank you for your visit to Surfcomber. We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. I am sorry to hear that we were just 'fine'. We strive for incredible, excellent, amazing, and spectacular.

Thank you for pointing out great service; Clayton is new to our team and is already making guest's very happy. I'm happy him and Valerie took great care of you. We really hope you give us another chance to turn that fine into something more spectacular!

Nick

Been to Surfcomber Miami South Beach, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!