“Great Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Detroit, Michigan
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

This hotel was very nice all around (as i find most Kimpton hotels to be.) I have no complains which is often the case.

The room was nice and clean. The lounge was busy but accommodating and the food they served was excellent. The poos was busy and charming, the pool help was helpful, and the drinks were very well mixed.

The front desk help was also top notch. They checked us in early and allowed for late check out. The luggage was tagged and taken promptly and there was always someone happy to hail a cab. It was right on the beach.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Surfcomber_Nick, Director of Operations at Surfcomber Miami South Beach, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
KatrinaC-

What a wonderful review; thank you so much! We look foward to welcoming you back soon!

-Nick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

This is a good - but not excellent - hotel. I stayed 3 nights in a King room. Room was clean, but a little dated, some of the details and trimmings were showing their age.

The bathroom especially needed a re-think. There is no shower curtain and there is no way to stop the shower flooding the bathroom every time.

We tried opening the window to the street to let some air in rather than use the air conditioning, but gave up after the noise from the bars across the street was too disturbing. We couldn't close the window! For some reason the handles to correctly open and close the windows had been taken off. We had to call maintenance to close it for us, as we couldn't sleep with the noise. That said, the maintenance guy was sent up promptly and closed it for us immediately.

A few things made me give this hotel an average rating. The cost is too high. Put it simply, you're paying for the location, nothing more. Furthermore, I was shocked that they did not provide breakfast for free when I was paying over $200 a night for a pretty basic hotel room. My partner and I sat down at the restaurant and a waiter swiftly came over and offered juice and coffee from jugs he was carrying. If a waiter comes over with a jug of coffee or juice before I've even picked up the menu, I assume it's on the house as a courtesy. We quickly realised what was going on, ordered a bagel each, nothing more. So for two juices, two coffees, and two bagels, the bill came to over $40 - which is ridiculous for a pretty basic two person breakfast. We would have been better off paying $50 more per night at a different place that offers a simple self-serve hotel breakfast spread.

Then there's the 'resort fee' itself, which to me just shows utter disdain for their customers. If it's a mandatory fee, just bundle it into the room cost, end of story. I don't care if every other hotel in South Beach does it - why not buck the trend, respect your customer's intelligence, and just charge it up-front? I can't see the reason for it other than force you to use the overpriced breakfast service - as you get a $10 refund of your resort fee if you use the restaurants at the hotel. I am normally happy to use the restaurants at hotels, and did here too - the bar out the front was nice.

The "wine hour" gets a lot of positive coverage here on TripAdvisor, and while we were checking in it was touted as a wine "tasting". I was excited about this and went down at 5pm to check it out, only to find it was simply staff pouring a single red and single white variety into plastic cups for the guests around the pool. Both varieties were horrible, in my opinion. So yeah, it's not a tasting, just free table wine for an hour.

The staff, concierge, and pool staff were all very pleasant and helpful, and I can't fault any of them, it's just that this place is too much of a money grab for my liking.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Salamando,

Thank you for staying with us. We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts on the experience. We will certainly use your feedback as we make adjustments to improve our property. I just want to note that we use acrylic glasses for wine hour to avoid glass on our pool deck. Our wine hour is about bringing our guests together to enjoy wine at the end of the day. It is a chance for us to connect with our guests. All Kimpton Hotels serve a different red and white wine each month that our Master Sommelier picks out. If you give us another chance, you might just find the wine is better this time around.

Warm regards,
Nick
Houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

We stayed here during part of our honeymoon after using Pricelines Name your Price feature. The staff was very accomodating and friendly and the room was cute. There was a free wine hour at the pool daily from 5-6 and the wines were pretty good. There were a lot of kids in the pool though, so lounging around on a float without getting splashed really wasn't an option. Good value for the price overall just maybe not where you want to be if you're trying to be romantic.

Kelly J-

Congrats on your marriage! We are happy we could be a part of your honeymoon. We might need to get a couple of those portable kiddie pools for the back of the property to keep those little rascals from splashing us grown up folk. Feel free to reach out directly to me via private message so we can discuss your return trip.

Regards,
Nick
Winchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Myself, my husband and 2 kids recently stayed at the Surfcomber as a base for exploring the South Beach area before heading up to Orlando. We wanted somewhere that offered a little bit of the South Beach vibe with a touch of luxury. After reading countless reviews, I settled on the Surfcomber because of the location and positive reviews and a good deal on Expedia. The location is good, on Collins Avenue and directly on the beach. However, this is where the "positive" element ends. The hotel rooms are absolutely tiny, you cannot fit more than 1 person at a time in the bathroom; there is a hanging rail behind a tatty curtain which acts as a closet; there is no room for a family of 4 to walk around the two small double beds in the room that slept all 4 of us; no coffee making facilities and the whole room is very dark with one small shuttered window that directly faced another guest bedroom approx 10 feet away. There was also a loud humming and vibration noise at all times in the room, even with the air conditioning turned off. The outside areas and pool area in general look old and a little run-down. We tried to get sunbeds around the pool one afternoon but we were told by the pool boys that none were available and were offered two bean bags between the 4 of us. Five minutes later, a couple obviously known to the pool boys walked up and the pool boys leapt into action, found 2 pool chairs and cleared the old towels off them and offered them to the couple, at which point I decided to remonstrate, and was greeted with a bemused look and no apology. There is also incredibly loud music around the pool at all times which comes from the SLS hotel next door. We walked down Ocean Drive and had a look into The Betsey which I wish now I had chosen; the location is much prettier and the whole hotel looked much nicer. I really cannot fathom why the Surfcomber has such a high ranking, we spotted numerous other hotels that looked much nicer. My only other good word would go the receptionist lady (cannot recall her name) who was very friendly and knowledgable about the area. I would not stay at the Surfcomber again.

Room Tip: Take a look instead at the hotels in the cool Art Deco district on Ocean Drive, or at the larger hot...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
new york
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Let me start with the positive:
The hotel staff are all extremely pleasant and helpful from the front desk to the bartenders to the pool staff. They try very hard to ensure guests have a nice experience. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the valet and beach service. While I understand that these services are run by outside companies (non-kimpton staff), kimpton chooses to associate with them and every guest is forced to deal with their incompetence throughout their stay at the surfcomber. On one particular afternoon, we called ahead for our car 15 minutes before we needed it as instructed by the blackboard at the valet desk. From phone call to car took 1hr and 20 mins. While apologetic, that is inexcusable. The next day at the beach the k17 beach club which the surfcomber works with had us wait 45 minutes for the check. So much for our after lunch plans.
As for the rooms, they are small but clean and nicely appointed. Only complaint is the A/C is incredibly loud as it turns on and off through the night. After two stays here, we will probably try another hotel next year.

Milwaukee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

The location of this hotel is great! Close to shops/restaurants and right on the beach. The overall vibe is chill. No loud music at the pool (like their is at the SLS next door). They have a low key bar area. Overall good staff, particularly Chris at the pool, but the outdoor bartenders were unfriendly. The rooms are small. The bathrooms are tiny. If you bring a car, prepare to wait and pay $37/day

Room Tip: Rooms away from the street are quieter
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I highly recommend Surfcomber in Miami Beach. It's location is wonderful for leisurely walks to a myriad a fabulous restaurants and venues in South Beach. The hotel is warm and most welcoming. The staff is very attentive and work to make sure that your stay is enjoyable. The rooms are nicely appointed and the pool area is wonderful. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay there and would go back there the next time I find myself in Miami.

Room Tip: I think that all of the rooms are great. It would be hard to make an error.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Surfcomber Miami South Beach, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!