“Great place to stay” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Great place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I've been staying for 4 days at the Kimpton surfcomber and I must say it was an exceptional stay. The stay was excellent and so are the staff, in the end I was almost sorry to leave.Upon arriving I found myself in a valley of smiles from the very first person I met Chris( guest service manager), who remembered our names after only seeing him once. He explained everything I had available and gave me a card for the beach as well as a card for dinning.Entering the room, it was clean and quiet (couldn't hear a noise). The bathroom is also very clean. The bed was one thing that if I could take him home, I would have done. Hard in the right places and comfortable....Very rich and tasty breakfast, I love scrambled eggs,and I found the best around. Chocolate Cake also were fantastic. With each breakfast I became more spoiled.Which brings me to in room dinning, throughout our Ryan was very helpful, quick with orders and very respectful.
These are the things that made me enjoy my stay at this hotel, but my warmest congratulations to the hotel for their choice of personnel. They know how to really make you feel at home, and if you need anything it is like asking a family member. Congratulations from the heart, you were fantastic.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Surfcomber_Nick, Director of Operations at Surfcomber Miami South Beach, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Ayoola-

We love our Surfcomber family - so glad you did too! We really appreciate your kind words. I will be sure to share the great comments with Ryan, Chris, and the entire team.

See you soon!

Nick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (398)
Usa, Japan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I think this property has potential. Unfortunately, for a traveler NOT interested in the weeklong music festival this is the worst place to be for a vacation. We made impromptu reservations via the Kimpton website mid-day on the 24th for arrival that night. There was no warning about what we were getting ourselves into. When we checked in we were told there was a party but everything would be back in order by 10:00 on the morning of the 25th. HA! There were 50+ workers around the pool cleaning everything and dismantling stages, bars, etc. The place looked like a hurricane hit with debris, "fluids", and other unmentionables everywhere. It looked like a cross between hurricane damage, frat party, and construction site. Guests could not use pool, restaurant or get proper food/drink service from the beach attendant until late the 26th (at the earliest). Guests were forced to walk 4 properties down to use another hotel pool. I am sure the hotel made plenty of money in music week and did not care about the guests arriving AFTER the event. However, it was truly unacceptable to not be forewarned AND for them to put their staff in the position to be face so many unhappy guests who had paid an considerable amount for rooms at a property they could not use.

Lovemy2dogs,

I am very sorry our pool deck was in the process of being reset when you checked in. Next year we will be sure to do a better job communicating the backyard closure for a day after the events. Please reach out via private message so we can discuss taking care of you on a return stay.

Regards,

Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

I try not to be a negative reviewer, but the Surfcomber was a disappointment. We stayed there one night 3/25/2013 after a cruise. Unfortunately, the place had been trashed the night before. The hotel had hosted a large party in the pool area. We were looking forward to some time next to the pool, but unfortunatly it was closed for cleaning for the two days we were there. Our room was clean, but trash and other reminants of the party was in the halls until late into the evening.

On the plus side the surfcomber does have a good location on the beach. But beware here too, chairs on the beach are included in the resort fee, but an unbrellas is $15 (who does not want an unbrellas). Also, be warned drinks on the beach were ridiculous $6 for a can of coke.

The surcomber had potential, but shot itself in the foot in my mind.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Surfcomber_Nick, Director of Operations at Surfcomber Miami South Beach, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Rob,

I am very sorry for the dissapointing experience. We have learned our lesson, and will be sure to do a better job of communicating post-event cleanup. I am happy to say that our backyard has been reset back to life.

Feel free to shoot me a private message if you would like to discuss further.

Best,

Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Its 5 am in the morning and the guys are outside cleaning the pool area with some generator powered industrial strength cleaning equipment. With the windows shut the noise is still unbearable! Even after ringing to see if they could clean the pool area in a couple of hours, nothing changed.

OK - so its the morning after a pool party as part of the week long Ultra festival. However, its doesn't mean that they have to clean the pool area at that time. (We were not attending the hotel as part of the festival)

On top of this, the room designer should be hung! The air conditioning unit is placed right in line with the head of the bed so when it comes on, it blows ice cold air on your face. I woke up (if you can call it sleep) with a cold.

On the plus side we love the location (close to Lincoln Road) and the staff are very friendly. We were given an upgrade to a beach view room (if you have binoculars you can see the beach).

However at $500+ per night i expected so much more.

All i can suggest is that you stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Try another hotel
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Solodepaso,

I am very sorry that our pressure washing was disruptive to your stay. We will defitnely look into a quieter way of getting this work done.

The A/C vent is an easy fix; we can adjust the vent fins so they are directed away from the beds.

I've reached out to you via a private message. I hope you give us another chance.

Regards,

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

This place has everything. The things you will notice are the amazing pool, easy access to the beach and other things in South Beach. The rooms are in very good shape and the service is amazing. I don't know about the price because my friend stayed here but I saw everything that this hotel has to offer. I definitely recommend this place!!!

• Stayed March 2013
FtLaudyFred-

Thank you for the great review. Our service is definitely what sets us apart from the rest of the pack.

We look foward to seeing you soon in South Beach!

-Nick
Anchorage AK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I would have given this hotel a five star if it wasn't for a huge disappointment we just had. But I did learn something: "I will always call a hotel ahead of booking a reservation to see if there are any special events that may impact our stay". I picked this hotel for it access to the beach and its pool. Upon checking in with our daughter (19 yrs) we were told that the pool area and access through that area to the beach would be closed to anyone under 21 years old for a 3 day music party (11am to 11 pm). We had to walk around the block to the beach and when we asked we were told that we could use another hotels pool down the block (huh - I wonder how that would look walking down the street in my robe - Ha - not pretty)!

Room Tip: Always call a hotel before you book it to see if there are any activities planned that may impact yo...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
smckeen, General Manager at Surfcomber Miami South Beach, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
GJKAnchorageAK-
Thank you for the posting.
Honestly, your robe would look fine.
We hope to see you soon & not during WMC; its not for everyone.
sm
Renfrewshire, Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We were here for a 2 night stay in January prior to a cruise. Picked this hotel based on reviews and location. Room was fairly small, but nice and the staff at check in were incredibly pleasant. Good location for south beach amenities - loads of places to eat in the surrounding area. Pool area was nice and enjoyed the "wine hour" which actually also offered lovely cider which we both enjoyed. Was quite expensive to stay here but seemed to be standard for south beach to be honest. Would most likely stay here again should we go back to miami

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Gordon78-
Thank you for taking a moment & posting your experience with us.
We hope you come back soon.
Warm Regards,
Sean McKeen

Been to Surfcomber Miami South Beach, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!