“It was awesome” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Peoria, Illinois
“It was awesome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We stayed at the Surfcomber recently while attending the South Beach Wine and Food Festival. The location was great...we were on the north end of the SOBE WFF beach activities. This hotel fits the bill of being a boutique hotel...the front desk staff was very accommodating and helpful; the pool was awesome; access to the beach was great; since it was a boutique style hotel, our room was the size of a typical European room...a little on the small size, but still fine for a vacation room.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
smckeen, General Manager at Surfcomber Miami South Beach, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
C W-
Thank you for the awesome posting and for staying with us during such an exciting time of year Sobe Wine & Food Festival.
The events are so fun, we hope to see you again next year.

1,438 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

My family and I stayed at the Surfcomber for 5 nights (February 5 till 10) and we are so thrilled we did. As we were there mid week, we had the pool to ourselves most days. The hotel got much busier on Friday and Saturday. The entire staff was amazing, very friendly and helpful. Rooms were small, but you'll expect this at most of the hotels in South Beach. Our room was very clean, liked the great decor and cleaning staff kept it spotless. My wife participated in a yoga class on the beach that mere yards away from the hotel and raved about her great instructor. I took an organized bike tour with Ben around the Art Deco District who is very knowledgeable of the area. My kids (ages 3 and 5) had the best time in the pool. We will definately stay her again and maybe leave the kids home next time, so we could have more of an adult time. Stay at the Surfcomber.

• Stayed February 2013
smckeen, General Manager at Surfcomber Miami South Beach, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
MichaeloftheNorth-
That's a fantastic posting. I love the part about leaving the children at home and spoiling yourselves a bit.
So funny. We look forward to your next stay with us.
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I have to say this is one of the best hotels I stayed in, in terms of service. The hotel was nice but the service was great. A special thank you to Brian at the front door and Chris at the front desk, outstanding service! They have a very nice wine hour every night by the pool instead of the lobby like most Kimpton's. I was upgraded to a room with a view of the pool and the Ocean. There are many restaurants in the area to choose from as well.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
beakr-
Thank you for the excellent posting.
Thank you also for praising a few of our employees who developed an outstanding experience for you.
sm
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Reason NOT AVERAGE: Booked 2 rooms early last week. Arrived early (about noon) and got rooms when I arrived. Rooms clean. Pool area kept up and clean. Staff pleasant.

Reason NOT PERFECT: On one of 2 bills, got charged for parking overnight ($37, yes that is how much overnight parking is here), when I did not park there. Price very high for such a small room. $8 for a large bottle of water? Yikes! When we did get the two rooms early (positive), the person had the 2 rooms on different floors but also different halves of the hotel. This was rectified (still different floors) but checkin folks should know that rooms with last 2 digits above 50 are on one half of the building and over 50 are on the other side (can't get from one side to the other without going to the first floor and going through the lobby).

Came with my family and felt I needed beach access. Those bringing families to Miami Beach, this is not necessary at all. The next night we stayed at the Embassy Suites at Miami Airport, 25 minutes away from the beach. Much better deal with spacious rooms and made to order breakfasts. I digress. The point is, paying through the nose for a hotel with access to the beach, and accepting the small rooms, is not necessary at all. Access to the beach is at every street.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Passport_Filled-
Thank you for taking a few moments for posting your experience with us.
We hope the next time you are interested in staying on the beach that you return.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

Let me start by saying I am a well seasoned traveler :) I recently visited SoBe for dual purpose - celebrate my bday & get away from the 'hustle and bustle' of my city. I ABSOLUTELY loved staying at this boutique hotel because I was not treated as just a number and was ALWAYS called by my first name; when greeted, the doorman would say 'Welcome Home'; all of the concierge staff were knowledgeable about what were the 'hot spots'; the Social Room served good sized portions at a very reasonable price (you have to try the pudding & Tuna Salad!); they had a daily events calendar that included free wine (or sparkling cider in my case) everday by the pool. They have a heated pool, are located on the beach, 2 blocks from Lincoln Ave where there are ample shopping and restaurant venues, valet parking only & there is a resort fee which I find was a standard cost for all the hotels as I searched around SoBe. I could go on and on and on about how great this place was but my typed words would never truly express its greatness. You have to experience it for yourself. One thing about my stay is I was traveling solo and my room was the courtyard king which was 200 sq ft and just fine for lil ole me :)

• Stayed February 2013
smckeen, General Manager at Surfcomber Miami South Beach, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
KitaMae18-
Wow, phenomenal.
We are flattered.
Thank you so much for staying with us and we hope to host your next stay in South Beach.
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Art déco in South Beach? Of course!

Pros:
+ Location
+ Distance to the beach walk
+ Staff
+ Hotel grounds
+ Wine apprecation hour just before sundown. Sip some wine and bury your feet in the sand
+ Complimentary coffee (when they remember to refill)

Cons:
- small (but cool!) regular rooms
- weird, slow, non-A/C'd elevators

Room Tip: Get a room with seaview
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
hennessyparadis-
Thank you for the nice posting and the compliments to the team.
We hope to see you again soon.
sm
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Went here with a friend as a spontaneous Sobe weekend. Don't be scared by the adjective "boutique." We loved the decor, the location is unbeatable (next door to SLS and two blocks from Lincoln Street). It is right on the water.
Our room was in the 160s on the first floor - did not have an ocean view but there are rooms that do. Our room was small - anymore than one large suitcase and we would have been out of comfortable room. The bed was very cozy, clean and neat. The bathroom door didn't close quite right, though, and we would have to pull hard to get it to shut completely.

Late check out is an option but you have to request it, probably before 8pm or 9pm the night before. The free wine was a plus by the pool, though my taste buds did not care for the red.

Concierge was very helpful in securing us a reservation at a DYNAMITE restaurant Saturday at 9:15pm. They also arranged for our transportation. It was well received.

The only real complaint I have is with the valet, and only toward the end. We asked to pull the car around to put our things in after we checked out Sunday at noon. Unfortunately, this time was very busy and we waited about an hour for our car to come up. The valet / bellhops were clearly more concerned about the guests coming in than going out, and I understand this. Just bear this in mind if you want to put your luggage in the car while you continue to enjoy the pool and amenities long after check out.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Melody S-
Thank you for the great posting.
We appreciate your comments.
We will touch base with the valet team and assure this doesn't occur any further.
Sean McKeen

Been to Surfcomber Miami South Beach, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!