“Glad I Chose Surfcomber” 5 of 5 stars

Fly South This Winter
Ranked #13 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
El Paso, Texas
“Glad I Chose Surfcomber”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

First visit to Miami for a conference in October so I brought my wife and 7 year old daughter with me. I had originally booked a less expensive hotel several blocks away with bigger rooms but changed to the Surfcomber because of the reviews and proximity to everything so my family could entertain themselves while I was at the conference. I definitely made the right choice! Like everybody says, employees there are great and make you feel welcome from check in to check out. All of the free perks like champagne at check in for Kimpton members (sign up - it's free), free happy hour and treats by the pool, fruit-infused water throught the hotel and even $10 mini bar credit are the icing on the cake. Hotel is walking distance to everything - restaurants, clubs, convention center, drug store, shops, etc. Beach is right behind the hotel and the pool area is relaxing. There was a band playing there a couple of days we were there. The streets around the hotel were safe enough for my wife and daughter to walk around day or night. My only concerns were the reviews that complained about the small rooms and bathrooms but it was fine for our family of 3. Besides, if you are steps from a relaxing pool, the beach, great restaurants and shopping, what are you doing sitting in your room??? I would highly recommend this hotel and would not think twice about staying there again. The only two things I will say is that we could hear taxis honking all night on the weekends from our room late at night so if this is a problem, ask for a room away from the street. Secondly, we ordered a mojito from the pool cabana and it was way too strong and didn't have enough lime and mint. It was also small and $13 but that is probably normal for pool side service in this area. I'm sure they would have replaced it if I asked but I couldn't bring myself to complain with everything else being so perfect. I hope to make it back there some day!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
smckeen, General Manager at Surfcomber Miami South Beach, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
NRB744-
Thank you very much for the fantastic posting.
We truly appreciate hearing that we were the ideal choice for your family.
I will look into our mojitos'. Maybe sample a few.
Sean McKeen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
Morganville, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Surfcomber for one night and were thrilled with the experience. Chris at the front desk was extremely helpful in setting our itinerary for the evening. A couple of hours at the pool with complimentary wine was a pleasant surprise. We upgraded to an oceanfront room with a balcony and it was worth it. A short cab ride to Joe's for a great crab dinner. We will definitely stay here again the next time we are in Miami !!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
smckeen, General Manager at Surfcomber Miami South Beach, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Michael A-
Thank you so much for taking a moment to post your experience with us.
McLean, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

The Surfcomber will make you smile. From the front desk staff to the parking attendants, housekeepers, restaurant servers and bartenders at the poolside hut, each staff member made us feel welcome and happy. We asked for an early check-in and were greeted with glasses of Prosecco (we're Kimpton Hotel InTouch members). The room was clean and fresh and cute (not gigantic, but definitely plenty of space for me, my husband and teenage son). The pool is always hopping, and activities are fun. We loved the free wine tasting at 5 p.m. every night. But we really enjoyed the beachside service and free mimosas on Sunday morning! The location is great in that it's quiet, but walking distance from shops and bar scene a little to the south. There are tons of hotels to choose from on Miami Beach. This one really has it all - and for a good price!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
AnnO6339-
Thank you for the fantastic posting.
We appreciate the recommendation & look forward to your return.
Rumbeke, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Excellent location, lots of peace and quiet but still close to everything so you can go on foot. Nice interior and rooms decorations are beautiful. Good breakfast for 1 dollar. Only downside: rooms are too small

• Stayed February 2012
smckeen, General Manager at Surfcomber Miami South Beach, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
mayacheyns-
Thank you for the nice hotel posting.
We appreciate your stay with us and hope to see you again soon in the near future.
Sean Mckeen
Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I am a frequent South Beach visitor and I have stayed at many different hotels. I Give the Surfcomber hotel a 5+++ star review because their staff, services, cleanliness, comfort and location are all top notch. This was my first stay here but I've already reserved for my next trip and looking forward to more.

Special kudos to their staff, they are amazing! Everyone from their front desk attendants to the maintenance staff and friendly, always ready to help out. Yet they don't get on your nerves they way they do in a Fairmount Resort with their plastic rehearsed lines and harassing service.

It's those little things that matter: For example, you arrive at the pool area, and there are two jugs of ice water with citrus that you can serve yourself from. If the staff see you looking around for a chair, they'll come running and find a spot for you. Yet on the other hand, they leave you alone and don't come bothering you every two minutes for you to buy drinks and snacks.

And the background music is great (and this matters more than some ppl think in creating a great experience) - never heard any cheezy pop hits or grandpa-style muzac, but instead there is always an amazing choice of modern "chillout" mixes.

Book there without hesitation, you'll really enjoy your stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
smckeen, General Manager at Surfcomber Miami South Beach, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
NoelBonn-
Thank you for the 5 star plus, plus, plus posting.
We are so happy we are your favorite hotel.
Feel free to reach out to me prior to your next visit. We would love to make your next stay even better. (sean.mckeen@surfcomber.com)
Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

My husband and I had a very pleasant stay at the Surfcomber.
We had a great first impression: we were warmly greeted by the staff as soon as we walked into the cool and modern-looking lobby. Check-in process was fast and easy.

I found our room (317) nice and stylish; my only remark would be that the bathroom was extremely small and a little uncomfortable. The cleaning stuff did a good job to keep everything clean and tidy, though. The bed was very comfortable. Our afternoon nap (necessary to fight jet lag!) was disturbed by the loud music coming from the pool; but at the end of the day...it's Miami Beach! ;-) Also: the walls are very thin, unfortunately. We could even hear the conversations of guests next door.

The pool area is cool and the staff very friendly and helpful. I had an unpleasant accident with an extremely arrogant group of four Spanish-speaking guests who accused me of "stealing their sun chairs" (they had left their chairs for hours to go a walk and the staff had obviously cleared their chairs and tables of towels and empty glasses in the meantime, so that it looked like no one was occupying them) and the staff was very supportive and handled the issue in a professional manner. I have been offered free drinks by the pool for my husband and myself for the rest of the day; unfortunately, my husband has been nevertheless given a bill. Probably a lack of communication between the staff; the problem was then easily solved at check-out.

Take advantage of the free wine-hour by the pool around 5pm!

We loved the cocktails prepared by a very friendly and competent bartender at the bar in the lobby; we were a little disappointed by Lantao Restaurant, which belongs to the hotel. We found the ambiance really cool and modern, the staff amazing, but the food a little boring. Note: their food is spicy, so if you do not enjoy that, maybe not your best bet as there is little else than that.

We would go back to this hotel any time. The price was extremely good for the central location and as I said the staff really goes the extra mile and makes you feel very welcome.

Room Tip: Try to get an ocean view room if you can. Other rooms don't have a balcony and the view is not t...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
MrsPerfectBerlin-
Thank you for taking a few moments to post your contribution.
We appreciate that you mentioned our welcoming arrival and the excellent staff.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

First time at a Kimpton hotel. We had booked a King room with ocean view. The hotel is only three stories so our third floor room had a view in te direction of the ocean but mostly sawthe pool and trees. We stayed in room 343, not the best choice, reason, the HVAC units for the SLS next door were outside our windows. Fairly constant low frequency hum all day and night. I had called the front desk to ask for a room change but they had nothing comparable. We used ear plugs for sleeping and were otherwise not in our room much. The room was smallish but nice and clean, normal we hear for South Beach.
The food and drinks are very good, the staff is amazing,friendly and helpful with great info on food, drinks, how to get around. The pool area is great, with good service and nice atmosphere, kind of laid back. The SLS next door can be quite loud with music but it seems random. The beach is nice but you will pay for the use of chairs and umbrella, $37 per day. We did not do this but found out the price as we were initially billed for the use of beach service and chairs on our final invoice. We noticed this as we checked our final invoice before we left and a call to the front desk cleared it up. Remember to check your bill...you never know.
Overall a nice first visit to Miami Beach. It is an expensive place to eat and stay for sure but a very cool atmosphere and still restful. BTW, there were guests with kids of various ages staying here to and all seemed to be having a great time.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
smckeen, General Manager at Surfcomber Miami South Beach, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
spinalmechanic-
Thank you for sharing your experience with us.
We appreciate that you mentioned the friendly service, the mixed guest base and the laid back atmosphere. We will look into the sound proofing of your guest room & the invoice mix up.
We hope to see you again soon.
Sean McKeen

Been to Surfcomber Miami South Beach, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!