“Cozy, modern, comfy beds but temp prob w showers” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Riviera Hotel & Suites South Beach

You added Riviera Hotel & Suites South Beach to your Saves list
Riviera Hotel & Suites South Beach
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2000 Liberty Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Ranked #68 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
“Cozy, modern, comfy beds but temp prob w showers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We were traveling from out of town and don't know the city..this is a cozy and modern and clean hotel but is an older hotel remodled. The beds are sooo comfy and the service was great. We were put in a large room which was nice but right by the elevator and people were noisy..so we asked for another room and the girl at the desk very nicely showed my husband several rooms and he picked one. The new room was alot smaller but still nice. There was some noise outside but I suppose that's what u get in a city. The bad part of our stay was the shower in the 1st room and 2nd room both had problems staying one temp. It got very cold and stayed cold for at least 30 seconds and the same with very hot. And there are 3 buildings they own so we got our car parked in one and had our 1st room in another and our 2nd room in another which are right next to each other. Also I booked on travelosity they still charged $15 resort fee and $30 for valet parking which is normal around there. The restaurants are very expensive close by but the scenery on ocean drive is very unique!

• Stayed August 2013
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Riviera Hotel & Suites South Beach, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Good Afternoon Taylor1995,

We value all of our guests feedback and would love to thank you for sharing yours with us, and our future guests! I am very glad that you were content with the hotel and the coziness of it. Our beds are definitely very comfy and you get a great nights sleep on them! I am very glad that we were able to accommodate you with another room that was further away from the elevator. Were you able to speak with the front desk about the issue that you encountered with the temperature of the shower? We are a 3 building hotel and depending on what room type you booked determines which building you will be staying in. There is a $15 resort fee no matter which site you booked through. It covers all of the amenities that you like to enjoy R/T shuttle, complimentary cocktail hour from 7-8PM, WiFi, 2 beach chairs on beach and towels, etc. We hope to have you stay with us again in the future!

Katrine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
nyc
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights in August and I cannot say I would recommend this hotel to anyone. The South Beach Hotel Group does boast a decent amount of complimentary amenities such as free airport transfers, a free daily happy hour, etc. but these should not sway you to stay here because those were so poorly managed it makes more sense to pay for these things.

FREE SHUTTLE -
The airport shuttle is a joke. A van pulled up when we arrived and told us she can only take 10 of us and left it up to us to duke it out to see who can get on. Everyone ran to get their suitcases in the back and those who were too slow had to wait for the next shuttle an hour later. When we took the shuttle back to the airport a larger van pulled up but once we got on we were immediately hit with the smell of stale body odor. It was 100+ degree inside the van and everyone looked miserable. Maybe the AC was broken? The two men in front of us stood up and both their shirts were completely wet with sweat. Halfway to the airport we turned around because they apparently forgot 3 guests.

HAPPY HOUR-
If you want to wait in a line that is 30 people deep for a one bartender to make you a free well drink that is your choice. It was not mine.

ROOMS-
We stayed in the lux one bedroom suite and it was very clean and nice. It was very large, I would estimate about 700 sq. feet. The bathroom was very nice too but the glass doors were broken, both would slide to one side so we showered with one door open. The biggest issue with the room was the lack of lighting. The walls are painted a dark blue color and there are only a couple lights for the entire suite. It's basically pitch black in the bedroom even with shade open in the small window. We had to use our phones as flashlights all around the room - to see inside the closet, the safe, around the couch, etc.

SERVICE
The front desk attendants were very nice when we checked in. It took us a while to get into our room because the bellmen were no where to be found for about 20 min. and they had stored our luggage. Apparently the front desk doesn't answer the phone when guests call. I tried calling 5x because there was no soap in our room but they never picked up. We ended up walking to the front desk, which was in a different building, and they seemed not to care that they were unavailable to answer the phone when it was mentioned to them. In fact, every time I tried to call the front desk no one answered and we found it faster just to go there in person.

The location is great, across from the Setai and a couple blocks to the beach. I think management just needs to get their act together.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Riviera Hotel & Suites South Beach, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Good Afternoon esk10024,

Your honest and extensive feedback is very much appreciated for all of our future guests to read! We do offer the best amenities when staying with us, but would like to apologize for you not having an amazing time! Unfortunately we were experiencing some issues with our main van, but still wanted to provide some sort of service to our guests. After all this is a complimentary service that we offer. The shuttle does run on a first come first serve basis. Since everyone is a big fan if FREE drinks, the bar does tend to get a bit congested during the happy hour. Our bartender is very quick and efficient and can handle all the requests that come their way! If we were aware of the issue that you experienced with the bathroom door we would have definitely sent our maintenance team to take a look, and fix this issue. We do offer extra lamps for those guests who would like more lighting in their rooms. The majority of our guests like the fact that it's dark and relaxing. Our bellmen are always assisting guests and that is what they were doing when you were done checking in.

Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

I made a spontaneous decision in booking this trip and i'm very glad i did. The staff was very
friendly.My room was prepared and spotless as soon as i checked in and also cleaned daily.I
spent time on the beach and when i arrived the room was cleaned,loved it.I also have to
mention a few staff members who were true professionals. They were courteous and helpful.
Roberto from the front desk helped with my shuttle arrangement to the airport and made it a
very smooth transition. The shuttle was delayed and he immediately called for a taxi without
me even asking.You may think this is no big deal but believe me I've stayed in other hotels
where you just wait and don't make it to the airport on time.i also like to thank Yolanda for
letting me stay an hour longer you have no ideal how much i appreciated that.Finally i like to
thank Suzy the bartender for making my stay memorable. She was very charming,personable
and a great conversatiionalist. Can't wait to visit again

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Hello Enrique F,

We value all of our guests feedback and would like to thank you for taking your time to provide us with yours! I am very glad to learn that you had a great time while staying with us and that you found the staff of the hotel, to be friendly. They are always going out of their way to assist our guests and make sure that everyone is enjoying their vacation!!! I will definitely make sure that the mentioned staff is aware of your wonderful praise! We would love for you to come back and stay with us again in the future!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

I stayed in this hotel last week and it was not a good experience. The reception was super small ad busy. Finally we got through and were given a room. When we got to the room there was already someone in there!!! We went back to reception and were informed that housekeeping had given them incorrect information and they switched us to another room. We go to the other room (which was right next to the old room - awkward!) and realized that they had given us a room with a king bed instead of 2 queens! We went to reception again and they wanted to see my reservations details again! I don't understand how they could not see the information about the reservation from expedia. The reception staff always made you feel like they had no time for you. We finally compalined and got upgraded to a suite. The room was nice but then we noticed we had a few insect bites on our legs. We thought they were mosquito bites but they did not go away. Infact we started getting new ones! I am pretty certain our bed had bed bugs in it. I noticed other guests at the hotel also had some insect bites on their legs. I had to come back and double-triple was everything. I've never had bed bugs in any hotel I have ever stayed! This hotel is supposed to be 4 star but their service and room quality does not reflect this. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Good Afternoon Awwe,

Thank you so much for taking your time to provide us with your honest feedback! I am terribly sorry that you did not have a great experience with us! People do make mistakes and I would like to apologize on the hotels behalf for the mistakes that they made. Our staff is there to ensure that you are going to have an amazing vacation, and they always have time for you even if you felt as if they didn't. I am glad that we were able to accommodate you with an upgrade to a suite! Unfortunately during the summer time here in South Florida we get sand flea, that you pick up from the beach. The bite of a sand flea and a bed bug are very similar and often times people get confused with the two. We definitely don't carry bed bugs here at Riviera Suites but it is very likely that it was either a sand flea or a mosquito, since we are in the rainy season.

milano
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Even if they had my credit card as guarantee of 2 double rooms, and EVEN if the charged a 2nd card of my parents (who arrived earlier than me) full amount of the whole stay (3 nights) they (old people) were refused to check in and kept waiting at the reception for 5 hours until my arrival. Then, after several discussion with the unfriendly and completely inneficient front door man, I decided not to stay. THey still charged my credit card as a non show and I lost a lot of money for the partial refund of the 2 credit cards (exchange rate differences). I am taking the case to court now.

Room Tip: Don't book this hotel unless you want to risk a check in denial and to be victim of a FRAUD
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Hello there italianoamigable,

Your honest feedback is appreciated and we would like to thank you for it. I am sorry that you were not aware of our cancellation policy. Unfortunately we do have to charge you for the first night when you cancel and are not within the cancellation dates. If your parents were not the ones who provided their card for payment when originally booking, they are not able to check in until you arrive to the hotel. This is for your security and ours as well. We have had many cases in the past of incidents that have gone wrong, and we do protect our guests. Our staff is always getting praises for the wonderful service that they provide, so it is hard to believe that the bellmen gave you such negative service.

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I stayed there for a weekend from July 19th - 22nd on a guy's weekend and I loved this gem of a boutique hotel. It had affordable prices and a great location within two blocks from the beach and Ocean Drive was only a few blocks away. The room were amazing and well kept. The staff was amazing and I want to say Suzy the bartender was my best friend all weekend. She was an attentive bartender and kept a smile on her face at all times. It was another gentleman who worked with her on a Saturday night and he was just as friendly.Furthermore the bellman Sebastian was real help and followed up with us at all times on our trip. He was knowledgeable of the area and welcomed us. Jean-Marc handled our check in with ease and Laura handled our check out just as well. Your front desk team was amazing and polite and the smiles on everyone on the staff was amazing. I can not wait to come back next trip and stay there again. My friends and I loved our stay and will be back again. I even took the extra effort and photographed the room for my Instagram so I recommended. Great service all around and please keep up the good work

Henry Philyaw

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Good Afternoon Rodd K,

Thank you so much for taking your time to provide us with your amazing 5 star feedback! I am extremely glad to read that you had such a great time on your guys vacation with us! We are indeed in a wonderful location and just blocks away from all the hot spots, and the beach. Our team works hard to ensure that the property is always looking great and in top notch condition! All of our staff knows what great customer service is and is always willing assist you. Your kind praise is very much appreciated! We hope to have you and the guys back for another wonderful vacation!

Iasi, Romania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Hello ! I have a question regarding the transfer from Miami International to this hotel. Is it free of charge, is it every hour as they say on the website... I am arriving tomorrow at 17.45 local hour there and I have a reservation for 3 bights at the hotel, but I don't know exactly how is it with the transfer. I sent faxes, e-mail, nobody has sent me an answer since Friday... I don't know what to think... Please, anyone can help me?!?!

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Riviera Hotel & Suites South Beach, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Good Afternoon Puls Tour,

We value all of our guests feedback and would like to thank you for sharing yours with us! Yes- we do provide a complimentary shuttle service from Miami International Airport. Our shuttle does pick up at the airport every hour on the hour at Terminal G Departure Level. You will need to provide the driver of the shuttle with a copy of your itinerary to show that you are indeed a guest staying with us. We look forward in having you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Katrine

Been to Riviera Hotel & Suites South Beach? Share your experiences!