“Great value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Fritz Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Fritz Hotel to your Saves list
The Fritz Hotel
3.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   524 Ocean Drive, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (Formerly Casanova Suites on the Beach)   |
Ranked #58 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Ottawa, Canada
“Great value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Overall, I liked the hotel a lot, and the price was good for the area.

Just don't judge the place based on your impression of the lobby on the side of the hotel, which was undergoing construction. The room we had didn't have a view of the ocean or a balcony, but it was spacious - it seemed like it might have been 2 rooms at one time.

The room was very clean, the floors were tiled in what looked like marble, and the appliances, tv, bed, plumbing fixtures, curtains etc seemed to be new. The bed was very comfy, shower was wonderful. Wi-fi worked great. And the place was quiet - until about 8am in the morning when some garbage trucks in the laneway made some noise - but not terrible. As for the location, it's unbeatable. Near many restaurants, right across the street from the beach.

The manager was helpful, guiding us to restaurants, booking a taxi, holding our bags for us, and in general helping us out.

I only stayed one night before a cruise, so don't feel I can comment on the property as a whole, but I liked my room a lot.

Summary: I thought I got great value for the money, and at a good quality standard. I'd definitely stay again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
CasanovaSuites, Manager at The Fritz Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are deeply thankful for your kind review. Thank you for not judging us for our lobby and the side entrance of the hotel and putting into detail our great qualities. We hope to see you very soon so you can enjoy our future lobby and new great rooms. Our next project is to upgrade our beautiful rooftop.

Best regards,

Casanova Team

233 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

Let me begin with the "lobby", which was filthy and a mess. We arrived to check in and had to wait 20 minutes while the one person behind the dinky desk checked in someone else.
(Oh and the walkway into the hotel is a dirty, stinky little sidewalk on the side, you feel like you're walking into an apartment building in the ghetto.)
In the meantime housekeeping was going in and out of their storage space which was 5 feet away from the "lobby", so we got a full view of that filthy spot.
The hallway to our suite had dirt all over the floors the entire time we were there. I don't think housekeeping mopped it even once.
Our suite smelled like mold and the "sofabed" was an uncomfortable futon with a disgusting dirty cover on it.
The curtains were stained and didn't serve to block out the light. When I go on vacation I like to sleep late but that was impossible!
Oh and the two flat screen tvs are useless because there's NO CABLE! 19 pathetic channels total. My kids were super disappointed, as part of going on vacation is relaxing in front of the tv after a nice swim.
The pool was teeny and empty the entire time we were there, probably because no one was staying there.
Yes it's cheap..for a reason!
My advice is to spend the extra few hundred and stay in a decent place, going on vacation and staying at this dive was the pits, we ended up spending most of our time at a friend's hotel in North Miami Beach, which has much nicer hotels.

• Stayed January 2013
CasanovaSuites, Reservations at The Fritz Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear guest we apologize for the inconveniences you had in your stay. We are currently under renovation, and remodeling the different areas you pointed. We are currently working hard to make the new front desk comfy and appealing. As per the suite not being cleaned, and the inconveniences you have encountered, did you inform the front desk on duty? We take pride in offering excellent, and specialized customer service, and we could have addressed those issues. We appreciate your feedback,
Best regards.
Farnham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

The flexible, cheerful and ever helpful staff were the redeeming feature of this hotel. They deserve 5 stars. Suite is extremely spacious with a great view from master bedroom. However desperately in need of renovation bathroom fittings rotting away, sparse dated furniture, roof terrace pool uninviting probably not dirty but looked it because of very worn bottom of pool and nice sun loungers spoilt by burn holes in fabric OK if you want a well located spacious suite but won't make you feel special.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
CasanovaSuites, General Manager at The Fritz Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would personally like to thank you for your positive feedback on our staff. Our main goal is that our guests have a pleasant stay and that they come back. I agree with you that the property looks tired in some parts but be sure that as i write this message we have people remodeling the hotel. We will be featuring 7 additional rooms and also a new lobby in the next coming months.

Best regards,

Camilo Matarraz
Coatbridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

As many have already noted the lobby of this hotel is far from inviting but having read past reviews I was prepared to overlook its condition and placement on the side of the building, I was glad that I did read previous reviews because the suite was indeed very spacious even though it could do with a little more TLC. The bedroom was a good size and the bed was very comfortable and although I didn't have an ocean view, the fact that my suite was in the back with no view at all was good because it was quieter. Large flat screen TV in both rooms was very welcome as was the amazingly equipped kitchen - full size American style refrigerator -double-door with ice-maker and water cooler, Dish washer, combination micro.convection oven and a coffee maker complete with coffee and sugar and the staff were exceptionally kind.
More than anything else the location cannot be beaten - right across the road from Lumus Park and the beach and Bellinis restaurant just outside was excellent with a great choice and decent prices.
I couldn't finish without mentioning that wonderful pool terrace on the roof - it may not be Las Vegas style but is certainly most welcome especially in 80 degrees in the middle of January and the main bonus was that I had it all to myself most of the time.

Room Tip: Rooms without a view are quieter
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Nazareth, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

The only problem with this hotel was: finding it. Once we discovered that the entrance is on the side of the building on a very small sidewalk, I was worried at first. The lobby was being renovated and the entrance on the side was only temporary. The staff is super friendly and upon entering our suite, all worry was elevated. The rooms are very clean and huge. The rooftop pool and bar is gorgeous with an amazing view. The hotel is so centrally located that every place is within walking distance. The only regret we had was staying only 1 night before a cruise. We will be back for sure to enjoy this amazing hotel for a longer stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
New Orleans, Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Pros:
-Great location on Ocean Drive, very walkable to a lot of bars/restaurants/convenience stores etc.
-Complimenatry beach towels
-iHome system in the room
-Great fridge and freezer in the room....good for keeping your own drinks chilled etc.
-Among the more affordable hotels for Ocean Drive
Cons:
-I agree with a previous poster....very obvious that they do only the minimum to keep the property up. Chairs in our room were worn, the sofa was quite worn and dingy and the sofabed itself was clearly in need of a replacement....it sagged quite a bit. Also, just noticed things like grout in the bathroom, chips and scuffs on the walls, etc. We also had problems with a couple of very random things. Random mechanical sounding noise in the bathroom...we never could figure out what it was or where it was coming from. The property does a good job of dressing itself up by having the granite kitchen, stainless steel fridge and a beautiful full length mirror in the bedroom. But if you do anything more than casually glance at the room, you'll notice it could use some tlc.
-VERY dingy leading up to the room.....hallways, lobby, etc. Can also be somewhat tricky finding the entrance to the hotel....it's hidden between two restaurants and you have to walk down an alley to get to it.
-Finally, listen to all of the other posters....this hotel is noisy. And I'm not only talking about the noise of nightlife....I mean, you pick a hotel on Ocean Drive hopefully you aren't picking it to get a quiet, peaceful night of sleep. You're going to hear people, music, conversations etc. However, the noises we heard were more industrial....trash trucks, street sweepers etc.at about 6 in the a.m.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Clarksville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Stayed with my bffs Labor Day Weekend. Great stay! Pros: Location is EXCELLENT! Walgreens is around the corner w/ a licquor strore, TGIF and it's right on Ocean Dr. Beautiful rooms lots of space and the full kitchen is a plus. The rooftop pool has an excellent view we hung out there a lot! Very private feel to the hotel wich is great. CONS: The downstairs restaraunt wasn't that good. It took them 15 min to wait on me & I was by myself! They also overcharged me for my lunch. $7.00 turned into $25.00. Had to call the manager for the horrid service. Music is very noisy from the restaraunt so from 8am-1pm they play. Open the balcony doors and its pumping hard! Bad for hangovers trust me! I got yelled at my last night b/c my boyfriend lives in Miami & we wanted to swim on the roof around 9PM. The desk clerk yelled at us the pool is closed & he snatched our towels. (Not true-my bff's and I had hung out there before way past 9). We were like ok whatever. Other than that- great vacay! You Cassanova have me won over!

Room Tip: TIPS: Swoops is a free shuttle that gets you around South Beach.-The kitchen allows you to cook -we...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Fritz Hotel? Share your experiences!