“An Elegant Oasis” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“An Elegant Oasis”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2009

Upon arrival, I was immediately impressed by the distinctive style that sets The Betsy apart from the rest of Ocean Drive. The dominant Art Deco architecture on the street is certainly interesting but this hotel stands in sophisticated contrast to the hustle and bustle of the rest of the area. It seems to embody a deeper sense of history and has the genuine feel of a timeless classic.

The interior is as impressive as the exterior. The color palette is light and airy. Every detail has been attended to and the appointments are quite obviously considered, right down to the Malin+Goetz toiletries. There is a private pool on the premises and they also have lounge chairs and umbrellas available for guests wanting to relax on the beach directly across the street.

The service is excellent and consistent. We stayed for two nights and by the time we left we were on a first name basis with the majority of the staff.

I would highly recommend The Betsy Hotel and hope that it sets a new standard for style on Ocean Drive.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2009

The Betsy South Hotel is a beautiful property on the quiet side of Ocean Drive. While other hotels on Ocean seemed a bit noisy, The Betsy was classy and cozy. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly, especially the Front Desk staff...who helped me check and uncheck my bags a few times between checkout time and my flight out. My room was like my perfect bedroom. Very clean with a fresh color palette of whites and oranges, large mirrors and luxurious curtains and bedding. I especially liked the bathroom, complete with a TV inside the mirror. At one point I went down to the fitness room and came back to find a turndown service had brought me spa flip-flops, ice and soothing radio on my iPod dock. I loved, loved my stay at The Betsy.

new york city
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2009

Everything at this hotel approaches perfection. The location cannot be beat (on South Beach, within short walking distance of Lincoln Road). The rooms are a bit small but immaculate. Every detail in the hotel tells a story. The room service is the fastest I've experienced (and BLT in the hotel is a major +++). The concierge/workers are friendly and responsive. Ok, it's a little pricey but in my opinion, it's well worth it. Who wouldn't rather stay at a gorgeous boutique hotel with all the amenities a big resort has?

beatricepugzilla
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2009

Was in town to work for the South Florida Auto Show and picked the Betsy from the reviews on this site and the close distance to the Convention Center. Check in was great and the front desk staff explained amenities, etc. Seemed a little apoligetic for the resort fee since I had said I was there for work however I did use the beach chairs and umbrellas provided before the Show started each day - exceptional by the way! (please tip the guys that give the chairs, towels and umbrellas - I could not believe the number of folks I saw not doing this - do not understand that one at all!)
The negative reviews on the small rooms make not sense to me. The room was small compared to sterile Hilton/Marriott properties but was beautiful and had great personal touches (nice turn down service with awesome book marks, above average toiletries, your pick of newspapers, etc) If you want a larger rooom, get off the beach and go to a chain and read the USA today.
Breakfast was included in the price of my room - 2 pastries, coffee and juice - perfect. Each AM, I had the same server - she rocked it - they do add on a 15% tip to the bill - I always gave her more - did not matter that my breakfast was included n the price of my room and did not order anything addtional, the service was still over the top - coffee was out of the world BTW
Being exhausted each day from work, I did not eat at BLT steak for dinner but will the next time I am in town (this month and looking forward to it).
Once in my room for the night, I could hear the bass from the music they were playing downstairs, but unlike some other MIA and NYC properties, this eneded by midnight thankfully and very considerate for the hotel guest.
The work out room was very good for such a small hotel - used it one day when it was too hot at 6 AM to run. Nice logo bottles of water.
Since I was styaing there over Halloween and also for the opening on a new bar, I was invited to have a martini on the house (invite attached to a small pumpkin) and I was also given a Halloween treat of Chili, Carmel popcorn (nice package!) - each left in my room during turn down service. This was a nice touch and reminded me of many Kimpton properites. In fact the whole experience was very similar to that of a Kimpton but without the chain mentality.
If I had one less than positive thing to say, it woud be that I could not extend my check out for an addtional hour. I asked but was told that they needed the room - no big deal and this was outlined in the Betsy book in the room.
Check out was a breeze - there was a small mistake on my bill but that was taken care of ASAP.
Have to come back to MIA later this month - will stay and the Besty.

chestnut hill
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2009

This is an absolutely wonderful hotel. The rooms are spacious and well appointed. Everything about the hotel is first class. The location is perfect for the beach or a walk or people watching. The staff are ready to please. I would stay at The Besty for vacation or business.
nancy, chestnut hill , Ma

UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

My wife & I booked this hotel for our recent 8 night stay based on the very positive reviews that were posted on Tripadvisor & we are so glad we took the advice. What a fabulous hotel right from the moment you pull up in your taxi outside the front of this very good looking building. We knew we had arrived at a very special place...

The hotel lobby, bar & restaurant are in pristine condition & the decor really fits with the colony building but is also very modern & stylish to boot. Upon check-in we were advised by the very efficient front desk staff that we had been upgraded from our booked 'King Room' to a 'Master Suite'. What a very pleasant surprise that we did not expect but gladly accepted.

The room was very nice & quiet with all the amenities you would ever need although like most US hotels there are no 'tea or coffee' making facilities in the room. The bed was very comfortable & the room ambience was excellent. On a slight down side the shower took around 5 mins to run before the hot water came out, however this was easy to work around once we knew. Also the turn down service is too early at around 6:30pm when most people are just starting to get ready for the evening on the town.

The beach facilities are very good & just a short walk across the street. South Beach is a great place for people watching as it is a public beach. Private rental of the beds is very expensive so the beds tend not to get too busy. A couple of points to note are that they perhaps close a bit early as the Boucher Bros who provide the service finish at 5pm & there is no butler service on the beach as advertised but there are plenty of locations nearby to get drinks & snacks

The Betsy restaurant, BLT, is also excellent from the very tasty burgers & steaks also don't miss the 'onion rings'. The very friendly & efficient staff tend to your every need with a smile on their face.

All the staff at the Betsy were second to none with a genuine customer service satisfaction ethos that I have never encountered elsewhere & we have been fortunate to travel to some exceptional hotels throughout the world. A special thanks goes to Madeleine, the Concierge, who is very knowledgeable about the local area & places to eat, drink & just be seen!

We would not hesitate in recommending this wonderful hotel that really is 'Miami South Beach at its best'....

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

I recently went to the Betsy thinking it was going to be one of those South Beach Art Deco dives but I was pleasantly surprised, no overwhelmed with the new renovations. This is one of the gems of the beachfront. The new BLT restaurant is fantastic! The rooms are tasteful, clean, chic and comfortable. I even got a few ideas about decorating my own place! the staff is impeccably dressed and courteous. I highly recommend this hotel. The only downside is the price, but you DO get your money's worth!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo

Been to The Betsy - South Beach? Share your experiences!