My partner and I visited Miami Beach for pure relaxation over the extended 4th of July holiday. The goal was to do absolutely nothing, enjoy the beach and some good food. After reading all of the good reviews and finding a good deal online, we decided to give The Betsy a try. In the end, all of our goals were met and expectations exceeded. After the stay, here's some thoughts:
A Unique Design:
The Betsy is a beautifully designed and renovated 1942 beachfront hotel. As opposed to the area’s collection of streamlined Art Deco hotels, the approach here is transitional, meaning modern, colonial, and “beachy.” If you prefer subdued refined elegance then you’ve found your spot (as opposed to Miami’s much lauded party scene - which does little for us).
A First Class Staff:
The staff is polished, poised and professional. Everyone was impeccably dressed, and beautiful, yet, lacked the dreaded attitude found at other properties. At all times they were accommodating, humble, and in-tune with guest needs with bend-over-backwards hospitality.
A Perfect Location:
While located on Ocean Drive, the hotel is at the north end of the street, secluded and quiet from the major party scene. This also puts you directly at the 14th Street access to the beach... just 200-ft from the hotel’s front door to the white sand. NOTE: If you are looking for a party, stick to the Clevelander or other properties - The Betsy's quiet refinement will not be your spot and you will not be happy.
A Supply of Amenities:
While the hotel charges a daily resort fee, it is put to good use. The hotel provides free chilled bottled water and newspapers at request. Additionally, at the beach guests are provided color-coordinated cushioned lounge chairs, towels and umbrellas -- a real first-class luxury.
A Porch for Enjoying:
Whether enjoying the sunrise over morning coffee, or an evening cocktail illuminated by the turn-of-the-century light bulbs, the hotel’s street-side front porch will keep beaconing. The elevated stoop is the perfect place to watch the promenade of people and contemplate as the world goes by.
A Few Areas for Improvement:
1. The proximity of our 1st floor room to the combined lobby-bar-restaurant (while convenient) experienced moderate noise issues. Specifically, the occasional gaggle of patrons or waif of music would travel down the hall and into the private chamber. Due to the newness of the hotel, the staff was unaware of the issue. Once alerted, they were more than eager to rectify. We hope that this will not be an issue for future guests.
2. For a hotel of this caliber I would have expected a proper continental breakfast included for the rate charged, plus the daily resort fee. While the morning selections were exceptional, it was pricey. Given the fact that Starbucks is located directly across the street I would have expected more competitive pricing. TIP: Skip the hotel’s breakfast and walk to La Provence French Bakery. This is the VERY same bakery that supplies The Betsy. Instead of $4 coffee, you’ll find it for $2. Instead of a $5 apricot danish, you’ll find it for $3.
A Job Well Done:
In conclusion, visiting The Betsy was amongst the best of any of our extended weekend vacations. The intimacy and scale of the hotel made for an expected personable VIP experience. The immaculate condition of the property and the unique surroundings are immediately transcendental. After just a few days we cleared our heads and completely relaxed. While the building and setting are exceptional, it is the staff that made the experience so utterly unique and special. The only question once home: how soon will we return?
- Also Known As:
- Betsy Hotel Miami Beach
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An iconic landmark hotel on Miami's Ocean Drive, The Betsy Hotel is a stunning colonial masterpiece offering a serene escape with exceptional cuisine, a rooftop solarium and spa with sweeping sea views. This beachfront property enables guests to enjoy the white sand and turquoise waters where Beach Butlers will attend to their every need. The hotel also created a peaceful sanctuary in its secluded courtyard where guests can enjoy the tranquil pool or relax in the lounge chairs. Home of BLT Steak, Laurent Tourendel's famous French spin on the traditional American Steakhouse. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Amex, Travelocity, Splendia, Orbitz, Tingo, Otel, BookIt.com, getaroom.com, Agoda, Venere, Fareportal and Jetsetter so you can book your The Betsy Hotel, South Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.