“Excellent personal service” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Chicago, Illinois
“Excellent personal service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

This highly skilled staff knows how to take care of people. Nothing is too much. Friendly, helpful, accommodating. If you prefer to stay in a smaller hotel (60 rooms), this is an excellent choice. The decor, the ambiance, and the people makes this place stand apart for me when comparing it with luxury hotels I have stayed in elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

The locals couldn't say enough about the pop overs and man it lived up to the hype, smothered in egg cream spinach ham bacon it was really really good, the bar tender woody was great and very knowledgeable, we also had the pleasure to stay a night here and the hotel was nice quiet with great photographs of the Rolling Stones and Beatles, and the bathrooms have tvs in the mirrors, who doesn't love gadgets, great place to stay if your not looking to be part or the nonstop party that is south beach

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

Visited the Betsy over Memorial Day Weekend 2014 and stayed at The Betsy.

The Good:
The front desk and bell staff was fantastic. We didn't open a door the entire weekend. The concierge was friendly and informative.

The vicinity to the beach was fantastic – directly across the street. Chairs and towels were provided daily. I wish there was cocktail service on the beach but it’s a public beach so no alcohol is allowed.

The So So:
My wife and I travel a bit and one of the things we look for in a vacation is a finer hotel.
We appreciate the little details.

That said the room we had was just OK. Clean yes, but the bed was not entirely comfortable and the bathroom shower was nothing special. The room is also quite small and the “pool view” wasn't much of a view.

The pool itself is quite nice. It was empty at the time we visited most days so we had it to ourselves quite often. It is not big, nor is the pool area itself.
We wanted to take drinks from the bar to the pool and we were told someone had to bring them to us. 2 days in a row, that person never showed up.

In addition there were a fair amount of bird droppings on the pool chairs and towels were left on chairs and not replenished or cleaned in a timely manner. The pool also shares a fence with the alley way next door. It’s private but not tranquil. As far as hotel pools go, it ranked up there with a Days in, not a 5 star boutique hotel.

The Bad-
The Roof Top Bar was less then spectacular. Upon arrival we ordered 2 margaritas.
2 small margaritas made with Jose Cuervo and lime juice mix were $40.
Again, being frequent visitors to Manhattan we are no strangers to expensive drinks. However, there is an expectation that for $20 each you’re getting quality spirits. Not Jose Cuervo.

Having never been to South Beach but based on reputation alone I expected the glitz and shine of Vegas or NYC. We were way off. Apparently we visited during “the biggest hip hop party of the year.”
Native New Yorkers we don’t scare easy, but we literally felt like we couldn’t leave the general vicinity of the hotel.
The streets were closed down to traffic and there was a police presence on every corner.
It’s never good when venturing out on vacation you say “I think we can make it…”
Clearly not the fault of the Hotel, but worth noting if you plan to visit South beach.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

I just arrived from Miami and had the pleasure of staying at this beautiful hotel with my 11 month old daughter and husband. The staff was very friendly. Always greeted us with a smile and were very helpful at all times. The room was very comfortable and clean. The bed was amazing and they had the best products in the shower! It's always a gamble with the hotels in Miami, but I have to say I am happy to finally have found a place to come to when I want to get away from home.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

Sublime, amazing, fantastic, brilliant, spot on, to die for….I could go on. One of the best hotels I have ever stayed in.

From the moment we arrived I knew we made the right decision - the doorman opened the cab door, the carpet leading up steps to the door, our bags whisked in and no queue for check in. Being on Ocean Drive I couldn't imagine how we were going to get any peace but it was like a spa retreat, once you're in, you could be in the countryside, it is quiet and cool. The receptionist was quick but gave us all the essential info and we were in our room in minutes.

The room was cute, not spacious by US expectations but a fair size by UK standards! Loved the decor it was very glamourous, as is the whole hotel, but comfortable. The bathroom was quite compact but you don't need to be able to run around do you.

The jewel in the crown has to be the roof terrace and bar, I had imagined it would be packed and that we wouldn't use it, but it was only open to hotel guests, genius. It was so relaxing spending our afternoons up there and the views were beautiful. The pool area was lovely too, though mostly shady so we spent late afternoons there when we'd had enough sun.

Breakfast was another favourite, we had the American breakfast included which I had assumed would be pancakes or similar and we don't usually eat breakfast but it was actually eggs, a choice of bacon or sausage, breakfast potatoes, a salad, a grilled tomato, toast and a fresh fruit salad, amazing. We had it every morning, it was so so good. We tried the seafood platter which included amazing ceviche, but for the price was a little on the small side. The restaurant was always busy.

All of the staff we spoke to were amazing, we had no issues but I have no doubt they would have resolved them.

I can't wait to return.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

I had been to South Beach previously with my sister and we often found ourselves ending the night on the street side restaurant of The Betsy. This year we decided to take a chance that the experience of staying there would be worth the rate the property is able to set.

My suggestion if you are coming to South Beach is if they have availability, invest in yourself and stay at the Betsy!

From the door, concierge and front desk service you could not ask for more white glove treatment without the snobby feel some hotels of this caliber seem to give off (as if they are doing you a favor by letting you stay). The staff at the Betsy is more than accommodating and the hotel itself gives off a Miami vibe without being campy.

This is not a party hotel (thankfully) but the pool is nice enough and the rooftop deck has some of the best views along the beach. (Of note - the rooftop terrace has great appointments but the day bed if available is incredibly relaxing).

I sampled both the single and suite accommodations and again found them tastefully appointed with special touches along the way including turndown service. The rooms were not only very very clean but they smell like vanilla somehow without it feeling like air freshener.

Extras: Gym is small but nice, lobby has nice touches with some books and various games (kicked my sisters butt at checkers). Beachside service including chairs, towels and umbrella were included in our stay - again an unexpected but nice touch!

Will definitely come again!

Room Tip: The single room is nice but a little tight. If you can spring for the suite it's worth the extra...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
TheBetsyHotel, General Manager at The Betsy - South Beach, responded to this review, May 31, 2014
Dear Sean H.,

Thank you for your recent visit, and for taking the time to write your review. i was happy to read that you have tried both our rooms and our suites; indeed and of course, there is a wide variety of space and view options there. We welcome all of our Guests, though, with the same dedication to great friendly service and luxury, and look forward to your next visit!

Best regards,

Jeff Lehman
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

Came back late, took a shower and wanted to sleep asap. When I pulled the blanket I saw a weird bug moving... spoke to the reception guy, got another room. After I came back to get my stuff I pulled the pillow to check if I forgot something and I saw 2 more.... very disgusting and unpleasant, especially at 1am.

• Stayed May 2014

Been to The Betsy - South Beach? Share your experiences!