“A delightful, sophisticated hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Deal
NEW Breakfast with Betsy
Ranked #5 of 200 Hotels in Miami Beach
New York, United States
“A delightful, sophisticated hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

My bf and I stayed at The Betsy the nights of 4/3-4/6. There's no shortage of hotels on Ocean Drive, but The Betsy was in a class of it's own. It oozed elegance and sophistication from the beautiful building to it's lobby, to the quaint room we stayed in. The front desk was warm and welcoming, and they were eager to assist us with making dinner reservations, calling for cabs, etc. Everyone who worked at the hotel greeted you with a smile and a "hello" as you passed by them.

We stayed in a classic King room. The room was small but you don't need a humongous suite when all you need to do is pass out at night. The bed was comfortable and the sheets were super soft and warm. Our room included a closet, minibar, and a lovely, sleek bathroom. Even though the Betsy is located on Ocean Drive, it's far enough from the really loud bars and restaurants for you to get a good night's rest. The only sounds we heard from our room was the occasional car honking, and the service vehicles in the morning.

We had free breakfast with our room rate, which consists of coffee/juice, 2 eggs any style, home fries, a choice of sausage or bacon, and a small side of fruit. It certainly filled us up enough to skip lunch and save room in our bellies for dinner. You can walk across the street to the beach, where you get a free umbrella, 2 towels and 2 chairs when you mention your room number at the hotel.

The only downside I can say about the hotel was that the roof deck was closed to the public during the weekend for private events. However, the hotel staff left a letter on my door apologizing for the inconvenience and they offered us a free cocktail each at the bar. Speaking of the bar, the bartender at the main lobby made me the most exquisite chocolate martini. That alone deserved 5 stars! All in all, I definitely recommend the Betsy. I felt like I was treated like royalty, and I definitely will be staying here again on my next visit!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
TheBetsyHotel, General Manager at The Betsy - South Beach, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear Sybil R,

Thank you for your recent visit with us! I am happy to read that you and your boyfriend had such a good time. I am sorry (again) that you weren't able to experience the roof deck in the evening, due to the timing of some private events - next time, your rooftop sunset mojitos are on me! Hopefully you were able to experience yoga at sunrise from the Deck - if not, there is another reason to come back!

Jeff Lehman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Wellington, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

Having used Trip Advisor to select The Betsy for our trip to South Beach, I feel compelled to write this review to help others avoid making the same mistake. We never would have paid $750 for a one-night stay, but I told my husband it would be worth it based on the Trip Advisor reviews.
When we made our reservation on a Thursday, we were asked what time we would be checking in the next day, a Friday. As check-in time is 4 p.m., we responded that we would checking in at 4 p.m. We also decided to shell out the extra money to have 'Breakfast with Betsy' (breakfast included) at the time of making our reservation and were told that breakfast was served until 11:30 a.m.
When we arrived at The Betsy, just after 4 p.m. as we had told them we would be, our room was not ready. We were told it would be 15 minutes, and to please proceed to the bar and have a complimentary drink. After 15 minutes no one had waited on us. (One would have thought that the front desk would have alerted the bar staff to take care of us while we waited for our room.) We finally moved to the restaurant proper, with all of our stuff, where we were served. After 30 minutes, my husband went to the front desk to check on our room - it still was not ready, but would be ready "in seven minutes." After an hour went by, we returned to the front desk, only to be told that our room would be ready "momentarily". All three times when we returned to the front desk to check on our room, the girl who had checked us in pretended to not even know who we were. Not exactly the kind of warm, welcoming customer service we were expecting when we were paying $751 per night, and we were also disappointed that we were the ones who had to keep getting up to go to the front desk to check on our room, instead of being kept apprised of the situation.
Finally, the head of house keeping showed up, apologized, and offered to take $100 off our dining check that night if we ate in the hotel restaurant, BLT. She was very nice, and made us feel like she truly was sorry for the inconvenience. A stark comparison to the apathy shown by the staff at the front desk. We thought our troubles were behind us, and looked forward to a great night!
Our dinner was great - the food and service in the BLT restaurant were both excellent . . . until we returned to the hotel after going out for a few hours. We wanted to sit outside and enjoy a snack and a nightcap at BLT as it was only 10-10:30 p.m. We ordered drinks, but were told that the kitchen was closed. We asked if there wasn't even a bar menu, as all we wanted was a snack? Again, the answer was 'no'. We were a little taken aback, as one would have thought that, at 10:30 on a Friday night in South Beach, we could have gotten at least SOMETHING at our own hotel restaurant, which was fully packed, by the way. For the next 30 minutes as we sipped our cocktails, we watched other tables receive food, order dessert, etc. For guests staying at the hotel that are just looking for a snack, I was shocked to be told nothing was available, when there very obviously was! Heck, we would have been happy to simply have been offered a couple of popovers (the Betsy's version of bread which is offered at every meal), especially as we saw numerous plates of them passing back and forth.
The next morning, we went down for breakfast, presented ourselves as guests with the "Breakfast at The Betsy" package, and enjoyed a lovely meal. That is, until we were presented with the cheque. When we explained that we had already paid for breakfast as part of our room rate, we were told that breakfast ended at 11 (we came down at 11, as we had been told at the time of reservation that breakfast was served until 11:30 a.m.). I explained that I had asked at the time of booking what time breakfast was served until and been told 11:30 a.m. She said that was only Monday-Friday, and wanted to know the name of the person who I had made the reservation with. Sorry, but I didn't make a note of the guy's name that took our reservation!! It took the hostess four visits to our table before she finally sorted the bill out - after making us feel like we were the ones in the wrong and had been trying to scam them for a free meal. We also couldn't believe that we were having this conversation 'after the fact', as she had said nothing about breakfast ending at 11 a.m. when we showed up for breakfast!!
We then decided to walk over to the beach after chatting with a different staff member. She asked if we would like any water to take with us, to which I replied yes, I would like a small bottle of water. She came back with the very small bottle of water (8 oz.) . . . and a bill for $10!! If I had taken the exact same bottle of water from the mini-bar in our room, it would have been $3.
When the time came to check-out, my husband was saying he had had enough of the place, and couldn't wait to leave. This is after less than 24 hours, and my husband is one of the most easy-going people I know.
We went to check out, and a new person that we hadn't met before took five tries to get our bill straight. We had been charged for such ridiculous things as a first aid kit, etc. After wasting 20 minutes simply trying to check out after a one-night stay, my husband REALLY could not wait to get out of there!
All in all, very poor customer service, most notably with the front desk staff.
Five stars, however, for the food and service at BLT.
Our suggestion - go for a meal as the food is stellar and the outdoor setting provides great people watching, but save your money and skip staying at The Betsy.

Room Tip: Book a room with a pool view.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear MonkeyWard69,

Thank you for your recent visit with us! I'm sorry that you had the overall experience as you wrote - as you can see from most of our other reviews, the specifics that you pointed out are simply not the norm, and it saddens me that you had such a visit. I would be happy to work with you personally on a return trip, so that you can have a more typical Betsy experience - one that leaves you with only fond memories (and great meals and service!). I sincerely hope to hear from you.

Paris
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

We spent total three nights there (two on our way down to the Keys then one on our way up). Very cozy rooms, clean and nice decor. Quiet and not too busy as there are about 60 rooms only (which is rare in the US). Fantastic location on Ocean drive, far from the mess and fronting the beach. Great restaurant (amazing meat meal !) - good service too as our room was not ready on time, we were comfortably sat on sofas with free juices and and coffee. Great roof top for drinks and food with nice view. definitely a unique address in Miami beach. would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear CecilouParis,

Thank you for your visit with us, and your review! Miami Beach is famous for its boutique hotels, and the Betsy is proud to be the only Forbes 4 star rated boutique hotel in the area - we try hard, and it is gratifying when it is appreciated by a "senior reviewer" such as yourself. I hope that we get to see you again in the future!

Warm regards,

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

I just spent 2 nights at The Betsy Hotel and can't say enough good things about it. The staff was incredibly welcoming, helpful, and knowledgeable! I could feel the focus (at all levels) on a high level of personal service and attention. The room was wonderful with a great bathroom. Since it's a boutique hotel, it felt more like being in a luxurious home. It's in an ideal location (especially if you want to walk around South Beach and not have to drive). The more I learned about the Hotel, the more I liked it! Throughout the year, writers come to the Hotel and offer salons for the guests. Overall, I highly recommend The Betsy!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool was very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Nancy Y,

Thank you for your recent visit, and I was happy to read your review about your great stay. I am not sure if you learned about our Writers' Room from one of our Salons that we have with a visiting author, or a poetry reading, or just talking to the staff. We are all very proud of our Writers in Residence program. Along with our libraries in each room, it is a cornerstone of our cultural efforts here at the Betsy – Community Matters! You can always see who is here on our website - it makes planning your next trip even more enjoyable!

See you soon,

Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

The Betsy….
A week or so ago, I spent the most I ever have for a hotel room. I did it at the Betsy. At $800 a night. I have travelled far and wide. A castle on the Rhine, a 13th century convent in Montepulciano, a seaside Amalfi flat, the 4 Seasons Maui, The Ritz, The Peninsula…You know…I don’t think I have ever been in a place where a standard room was so dear. Was it worth it?

Well…Betsy’s rooms are small. And the shower was the smallest of any hotel I’ve ever stayed at. Her valet parking is hard and slow to get to. And she is not perfectly maintained (see pic). Brass sneaks through chrome in places and my bathroom door no longer fits in its’ frame. But those who have been to Florida’s circa 1920’s buildings know that they are never perfectly maintained (think Vinoy). Parts are hard to get and the plaster-work is beyond almost all contractors. Those who know how to fit and fix things correctly for buildings like our Betsy are as rare as she is…So you have to live with these things if you’re going to spend time living in art. Betsy is, after all, an old, particular, vain American lady. Who? Think Katherine Hepburn at 60 years old.

However…This is why some, including myself, love her.

Her bar and her lounge are the best situated I’ve ever been in. Take the few stairs down from your room (not the elevator), throw open the curtains at their base and present yourself into the large, open, slightly Nighthawks-esque bar area. It makes you want to dress for the occasion (If I only had my zoot suit and my Jag XK130…). And you’ll have no desire to go anywhere else once you’re part of the scene…

I love that Betsy is, because of her age, civilized and quiet and warm and gracefully rich. I love that her family…uh…staff is happy. And I love that they are close to, but not quite, Downton Abbey competent. I love that loud, vulgar South Beach is just outside, but not in. I love that you can’t hear a thing while in your dark, cool, perfectly appointed little room. I love that I can swim alone in Betsy’s deep pool - and that it’s warm and that the lounges are perfectly sculpted and I can smell bacon wrapped scallops cooking while I do my laps…”Oh man…I need to order some when I’m done”...I love that Betsy is small enough that I get to know who the guests are that staying with me (“bye - see you next time - have a good flight back…Sigh”). I love that her colors are neutral and yet she and her family suggest rich, genuine essentials. Latte, croissant, afternoon shade and the gulf stream breeze on a calm, cooling street side patio…

You have been granted a privilege to be in a place like this. So take the good with the bad. Yes, things could be a little better maintained. Yes, the rooms could be larger. However, every old lady could use a nip and a tuck. I'm sure she is aware of it and I am sure she will plan in that regard. However…not now. She is not rushed. And if she is needy, she’ll hide it well…So will you go looking for flaws? In the end, doing so would only reveal your own poor judgment…This Grand Dame, like all, is gentle, she has poise, in her pocket she hides sweets and she is correctly perfumed. She’s intelligent. She has beauty. She hides her flaws well. If you can respect that, she’ll open up to you. And respect you too. If you can further let her charms carry you away, Katherine will flirt with you…elevating you in the process. And will it have been worth it? What was that I was worried about? 800 what? Pass the champagne and bring around the XK. Whatever it was, that flirting, that elevation, that confirmation - so heady at times - was worth far more.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing toward the pool if you want quiet. The street is loud.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Pair_vine,

Rarely have i read such a detailed, colorful review of the Betsy on Tripadvisor! Thank you so much for your kind words, you captured much of the essence of the Betsy's charm and unique character. As you may know, we are passionate about writing, and even have a room dedicated to visiting authors who hold salons, readings, and other community engagements here at the hotel. While unique for South Beach, honestly we have many standing room only events of this nature! I hope you were able to experience one while you were here. If not, there is always the next time!

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

We spent two nights at the Betsy for a bachelorette party. The location is killer and the hotel lobby and rooftop were beautiful and calm (in the sea of Miami crazy). Having a restaurant as delicious as BLT was also a huge plus. Be sure to ask for lunch from the BLT to go when you head out to the beach! Everyone that worked at the hotel was very nice and accommodating, down to the concierge standing in the rain to catch us a cab when we had to make a dinner reservation.

Unfortunately, we were disappointed with the quality of our room in relation to its extremely high price tag ($1,200/night). The room was small and the view was of another building 40ft away. The A/C was broken on arrival. The music speakers didn't work. There were no sheets or pillows for our pull out couch, and it took three trips up from the hotel staff to get us everything we needed. The shower was handicap accessible, and while I always prefer to stay at establishments that respect and service the needs of all clients, this particular model of shower allowed water to flow into the rest of the bathroom. Even a 10 minute shower resulted in standing water in the rest of the bathroom.

No hotel room is perfect, though given everything, a more fair price for a suite at the Betsy is $400-$500. If you can get a deal, it is worth the visit for all the good reasons I mentioned above.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
TheBetsyHotel, General Manager at The Betsy - South Beach, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Dear crsproulie,

Thank you for your recent visit and for your review. It is true, that are larger suites such as yours can be expensive, especially in our highest rated month of the year (March, when you were here). Miami is quite seasonal, and there are great rates to be had all year long if there is flexibility with your travel dates! We also have a whole range of room types, from modest and affordable to more luxurious. We are happy to work with you personally to meet your exact needs. I also want to apologize for not having your sofa bed made up upon arrival. With a boutique hotel such as ours, where personalized service is so important to us, the best way to book is directly with the hotel, to ensure that all the nuances of your visit, including the number of Guests staying, are properly addressed in advance. Please feel free to reach out to us anytime your future travel plans bring you to Miami Beach – I would be happy to personally see to your accommodations and ensure that your stay is flawless!

Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

There is certainly no shortage of places to stay in South Beach, but it would be difficult to imagine a hotel better located, with staff more kind and giving, and facilities more beautiful than at the Betsy (Ross) South Beach on Ocean Drive at 14th.

The two concierges, Margot and Adam could not be more helpful, and Margot sweetly had a bottle of champagne and a chocolate mousse sent to our room for my wife's 60th birthday. Front desk staff was great. We were treated the first night to a plate of fresh fruit, sent to our room unbidden. Room staff was more than generous with soap and shampoo, and the room was made up each day beautifully.

The room was just exquisite, although it offered not quite the waterfront view we'd hoped. It faced the water, but at third floor level (the top floor), the palms in the park obstructed our view of the water. As our bellman explained, "the trees outgrew the hotel". Still, that was our only complaint, and the view from the hotel rooftop, where they've located a place to sun (with bar and a menu) and a Wellness Garden (with early morning yoga classes), more than makes up for the limited view from the room.

What each room does have, and if you love to read you'll appreciate this, is its own small library of recent book releases, some light, some heavier reading. Pool is small and located in a courtyard on the first level, but you're at the beach, right? Lobby bar is enormous and features a light jazz combo on Wednesday and Thursday nights.

If you're headed to South Beach--which we plan to do again and again and again--you could not choose a better place to stay than the Betsy South Beach. We've stayed at more than a few hotels over the last few years, and this is one of the best.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Syael1339,

Thank you for your recent visit, and for taking the time to write your review of the Betsy. I am happy to read that you had such a great time, and that we can look forward to seeing you again in the future. Our many return Guests are very special to us; be sure to mention that you have stayed with us before when booking, so that we can access your profile and offer you access to the best rates, upgrades, and other perks! We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Jeff Lehman

Been to The Betsy - South Beach? Share your experiences!