“25th Wedding Anniversary Get-Away” 5 of 5 stars

Breakfast with Betsy
Ranked #10 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Finger Lakes Wine Country, New York
“25th Wedding Anniversary Get-Away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

We have not done a couples get-away in like forever - always family vacations. But with our 25th wedding anniversary, we wanted something romantic, special and just the 2 of us. With only being able to get away for a weekend, we wanted the perfect place and The Betsy was absolutely perfect for us! I trusted the reviews I read on Trip Advisor and made reservations. Romantic, relaxing, so very charming and quaint. Many people, hustle and bustle, but yet we felt like we were the only ones there - hard to explain. Food was excellent - American Breakfast all you could want, drinks delicious. Having beach access was a must for us, as well - and that was just splendid - Boucher Brothers, set us up both days with chairs and towels - fee charged through the hotel. Paul the Concierge made great restaurant choices for us both evenings and made the reservations for us. Just truly perfect - we definitely will return!!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Jeff L, General Manager at The Betsy - South Beach, responded to this review, April 12, 2014
Dear HpyMma,

Thank you for choosing spend your 25th anniversary with us, and for writing such a great review review! I was happy to read how we were all you had hoped for on such a special occasion. Don't wait another 25 years to return - this may now have to be an annual trip!

Best regards,

Jeff Lehman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Holden Beach, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

Met here with some clients a few months ago. Super classy hotel with friendly people.

Food was great but be aware that they fall into the classic south beach stigma of slow service.

We had to wait 20+ minutes on our check, which made it a bit awkward.

Otherwise, I highly recommend

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

First, this place is great. I picked The Betsy because of reviews I read on TripAdvisor, so I felt I should pay it forward to others considering this hotel. The staff was AMAZING. So helpful, professional and will absolutely bend over backwards for you.

The room was gorgeous and very clean. The bathroom was really clean, modern and had a great shower.

I met Ed Ponder, the Director of Guest Services, who made me feel like I was the most important guest staying there. We talked several times and he always remembered my name and remembered the random stuff I told him I was doing while in Miami. The rest of the staff follows his lead.

I've never written a review on any travel site -- ever. But, this was such a great hotel and has such a great staff, it was something I really wanted to do.

You won't be sorry.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Manassas, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

We didn't stay here, but did have lunch and it was FABULOUS! The drinks kept coming, the street ambience fun and the Cuban sandwich amazing! The interior was adorable and it seemed like a place I would want to return to.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

Just returned home from 8 nights at the Betsy, our first stay at the South Beach. We chose it after seeing the reviews on Trip Advisor and after taking a look at the hotel's web site. We were not disappointed and had a wonderful and restful stay as the hotel is in a perfect location to walk in the morning, hit the beach in the afternoon and the restaurants in the evening. You can turn right out of the hotel and walk along the beach to South Pointe or left and along the board walk or to Lincoln Road and Collins were the restaurants are plentiful.
We had 2 dinners at the BLT, brunch and a couple of breakfasts and the food was good quality and good value. The steaks here are very good and tasty and well worth a try.

We knew most of the restaurants that we wanted to eat at but Margot (Concierge) suggested a couple not on the list which were fantastic picks and she arranged all reservations as it was very busy. We chose restaurants within walking distance and ate at, Pied a Terre, Ola, The Meat Market, Spiga, Osteria and the Fez. Not one bad meal amongst them and I have reviewed them separately if you want to take a look.

So why not excellent?

1) Our room wasn't ready when we arrived (just after the 4pm check in time) and whilst we were offered an alternative which we didn't want, and they did get us in within an hour. This is not what you expect paying these prices and having been travelling for 15 hours. Also, getting an extra couple of hours to check out when we left was a bit of a struggle but they agreed once I pointed this out.

2) The roof garden is a great place to relax, a real positive for this hotel but on 2 nights we couldn't use it because private parties had a booking. Again, disappointing when the rooms are small with no balcony etc.

3) I've mentioned the help we got from Margot, Thomas and Sean who helped with the luggage and were very friendly. Some of the other service was inconsistent and working on this would make the place perfect.

Overall, we would definitely recommend and will be back.

Room Tip: If you don't have a suite, go for the deluxe ocean view room.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

My wife and I spent a week at the Betsy on South Beach. We arrived the day before Valentine's Day. The whole week and the stay at the Betsy was great. The location right on Ocean Drive could not be better. Everything we look for in a hotel was found in the Betsy, from the great staff, the room, comfort of the bed, the cleanliness, the lounge area and the roof top and the great view of the ocean. It was great. Paul, the concierge, was very helpful and friendly. The front desk staff were very pleasant.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

Aesthetically, The Betsy has everything going for it with charming good looks inside and out. It will easily meet the most discerning guest's romanticized ideal of a "boutique hotel". Those accustomed to 4 and 5 star treatment however, may find that the charm evaporates in the face of small missteps and sloppy service.

My wife and two girls (11 & 13) enjoyed four nights at The Betsy, and we really did enjoy it - there's so many good things about this hotel. The prime location, the amazing restaurant, the quiet pool, the hip, modern-plantation decor, the (mostly) outgoing service. Unfortunately, our stay was not without its share of little nuisances and these flaws simply became part of our expectation by the end of our trip.

Without going into too much detail, we had to switch rooms at 1am on our first night. The night manager claimed only to have a single king room available. I was insistent that this would not work for the four of us. She seemed hesitant and flustered, but after 20 some odd minutes of back and forth calls to the front desk, she suddenly had a two-room suite available. Why this was not offered immediately was beyond me. I was grateful for the upgraded room, but the way we came to it was anything but high-end. Our new room was very nice, but little things again... one of the televisions not working, a water-damaged ceiling in the washroom, used bottles of shampoo. Little things conspiring to remind us that this place was not so perfect as it first appeared.

Two other annoyances are worth noting. We did not find out until our last morning that breakfast was included with our stay. Since we didn't know, we paid for breakfast at the hotel on two days of our stay and two at Starbucks across the street on the other two days. Not a big deal, but a waste of two hundred dollars by my estimate. And anyway, I like that restaurant. I would have much preferred to eat there each morning. It would have been nice if we were told at check-in that "this is where you'll enjoy your included breakfast."

For our first breakfast at the hotel we were served by a lovely gentleman on the rooftop who had a broken foot. Needless to say, his movements were not quick and we waited a long time - too long. I begrudge him nothing, but maybe the hotel should keep him behind the bar and get him some help with serving, until his foot is fully healed. he did his best, but we shouldn't need to feel bad about asking for coffee.

I have a feeling that our experience at The Betsy probably isn't typical, and that a lot of guests do enjoy a perfect stay. I'm just disappointed that we didn't get to see The Betsy at it's best.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Been to The Betsy - South Beach? Share your experiences!