“Miami Nice.” 4 of 5 stars

London, United Kingdom
“Miami Nice.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Interesting Story:

So we are a group of 12 guys out in Miami on a bachelor party. We wanted to stay somewhere on South Beach which was well located for the beach and the restaurants, bars and clubs on Ocean and Collins and Lincoln. The balance was between choosing somewhere with high quality facilities but which was reasonably priced, and not one of the monster hotels where we would feel overwhelmed and might seperate the group. Although we planned to party hard, we wanted somewhere reasonably quiet so that we could get away from the party when we needed to. The Betsy ticked all of these boxes. The service started before we left home because they helped us massively to organize our itinerary (even for our 3 day trip to the Florida Keys) and recommend and arrange reservations and restaurants and nightclubs, both before and during our stay. Good Job guys!

Pro's
The place is very Miami, has a local vibe and a cosy and intimate atmosphere - you're always happy to get back at the end of the day;
Location is A1. Right in the middle of the action and of course sea facing;
The hotel has an amazing spot on the beach and a desk on the beach for towels, beach beds, umbrellas, drinks etc;
Newly refurbished and well decorated and clean rooms.
Exceptional concierge service to help you make the most of your trip and even organize nights out for you etc, including a special SUnday night at Nikki Beach with a favorable deal on a bottle service table; and
Generous late checkout where available – always get a big tick.

Cons
Small pool, you would expect a place like this to have a nice big luxy pool for the price but not so much, see pictures;
Some disorganised service in the restaurant for breakfast and occasionally at the front desk, they are all well-meaning but were slightly confused at times probably owing to the size of our group;
Weak Wifi in the rooms which is a shame when you just need to get some work done. But it is free; and
A big turn off was the lack of shower pressure in the rooms, a good powerful shower is important in a hotel especially when the bathrooms are so nicely fitted out with a TV in the mirror etc.

Conclusion
There are so many hotels in Miami some very much more p1mped out but they look much like all fancy hotels all over the world. The Betsy feels very authentic and unique to Miami. Overall, a good stay at a good hotel. Would recommend to friends and family.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Jeff L, General Manager at The Betsy - South Beach, responded to this review, September 9, 2012
Dear Sidji,

Thank you for your review - we were very happy to have your group stay with us. I'm especially pleased to read the word "authentic" in your review - we try to live by the authenticity in our design, our passion for service and hospitality, and our dedication to culture and being more than just another pretty face. I'm happy you recognized that!

Jeff Lehman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

My husband and I just returned from our fourth trip to Betsy. This was a disappointing experience because our room was littered with ants. They were in the bathroom and curtains. We also found mosquitoes on the bed. Otherwise, staff were pleasant and room service was good. We also like that the beach chairs, umbrellas and towels continue to be included in the price of the hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
TheBetsyHotel, General Manager at The Betsy - South Beach, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Dear LoveBeachVacations,

Thank you for your review - and your repeat visits, of course! I am sorry to read about your experience - it is quite rare, I am wondering if possibly a window was left open? Sometimes, with the severe weather (such as the recent tropical storm, Isaac) there are additionaI challenges locally, but again, they rarely impact our rooms the way you described. I'm happy that you still found the staff so accomodating, too. I would be very interested to discuss this with you further- please contact me directly at the hotel and I will do my utmost to make sure your next visit - #5! is absolutely flawless!

Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

The Betsy Ross Hotel on Historic Ocean Drive is head and shoulders above the rest of its hotels in terms of culture, substance, culinary, and premium feel. BLT Steak is incredible, as are the rooms, lobby bar, and patio. Truly a great experience.

Santa Barbara, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I stayed at the Betsy for a few nights recently and had a very pleasant experience. The hotel was recently refurbished and I was glad to see that it kept its simple elegance the lobby was low key and comfortable as were the rooms.
They had a great roof top terrace with a full bar which made for a nice evenings drink before going out.
This is a small hotel ,not a lot of bells and whistles, I find this charming and for my taste the hotel had all that I needed.
I only ate breakfast at the restaurant and would recommend the croissants and fresh orange juice.
The beach across the street was nice and for a small fee (hotel charges) you get an umbrella, towel and chaise lounge.
I liked that the block around the hotel was quiet, no barkers and noisy restaurants which are prevelant further down the street creating a cheap atmosphere that I find unpleasant.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Shelley,

Thank you for your recent stay with us, and your review. I was pleased to read so many positve aspects about your visit - and honestly, a bit confused about your overall rating being less than stellar. If there is anything else about your visit that you would care to share with me, I would be pleased to discuss that with you. At the Betsy, we take our Guests and our service very seriously and very personally. Our goal is for you to be 101% satisfied!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

We looked so forward to our stay here and we were not disappointed , the bed was divine the service superb the food delicious. We loved the location close proximity to everything South Beach. The beach was lovely enjoyed the fact that sun beds, towels & umbrellas were provided. 5star luxury definitly planning another stay Charmaine & Graeme Swaziland southern Africa - awesome ... Loved the gowns provided so comfy I bought one.

• Stayed August 2012
Dear Phahla,

Thank you for your review, and your recent visit with us! It was wonderful having you and your family stay with us. You remind me how our diverse Guests find different aspects of our boutique property so endearing - and those who return encounter new things to delight, and help them relax and rejuvinate! We look forward to your next visit to South Beach!

Best regards,

Cork
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Just back from a great holiday in south Beach and the Florida Keys. Spent 8 nights in the Betsy in South Beach and it was fantastic from start to finish. Everything was perfect, location, staff - they couldn't do enough for us, food, beach beds and the hotel itself is brilliant.
If I had a tiny tiny issue it was that the bathroom was a little small and the lift a little slow but really that is all I can say and these were so minor!!

The BLT Steak is mouth watering and the service throughout the hotel first Class. I just hope I get a chance to experience the Betsy again in the future

The concierge were also excellent and helped us book tours and gave us advice on travelling to Key West.

Best Hotel I've stayed in so far..........

Dear Orla,

Thank you for your comments - an 8 day stay like yours is really the best way to completely fall in love with the Betsy! I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us - and we look forward to your next visit!

Warm regards,

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

The Hotel its beautiful, the staff, front desk and concierge, really gentle and attentive. The best thing of everything is that when i got back with my wife from dinner, theres was live soul music at the lobby.
I had a relax and peaceful time in a crazy miami beach!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Betsy - South Beach? Share your experiences!