“great stay with our 4 year old son” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
15% off room rate
Ranked #6 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Jersey City, NJ
“great stay with our 4 year old son”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

First the room. We were upgraded to room 328 in early May. The suite is ocean facing south corner and on the top floor. The view was excellent, and the natural light, which I love, was spectacular. The suite included a king bed and 'living' area separated by operable shutter doors. The living area had a sleeper sofa which our 4 year old son used. As per other reviewers, I thought the room was small when we initially arrived, but, as we settled in, we found the room comfortable. I echo the other reviewers comments on the lack of storage. I like to unpack when I arrive at a hotel and I found that I needed to live out of my suitcase even with the walk-in closet. The bathroom is huge with a roman shower, but still not quite enough area to layout cosmetics, toothbrushes, sunscreen, etc. Finally, the sounds from the adjacent room are audible, especially the tv.
The staff: I found the staff very responsive and pleasant. The concierge and his staff were very good at arranging adult and family friendly outings. We only had one hiccup in the staff and that was when we tried to arrange room service for our son. For some reason we couldn't get anything on the kids menu. We worked around it, and mentioned it to the front desk. We had messages from the restaurant manager and hotel manager when we returned from our evening out. We chose to not follow up.
The hotel: perfectly located on the north edge of the park. I was worried about noise but there was none, either from the beach or the roof deck. My son and I walked across the street in the mornings to the beach, had lunch, and spent the afternoons at the pool. It couldn't have been a more perfect situation. The hotel uses a beach service for chairs and umbrellas. It is included in the resort fee I found them pleasant, contrary to other reviews. Remember to get there early if you want to snag a chair in the first line on the beach. The stand opens at nine, things are set up by 9:30, and the front row is taken by 10:00. The front row is critical if you have to tote water for sand castle construction.
I would happily recommend this hotel to families who don't want to stay in a family hotel, but still want an environment that welcomes children. I look forward to going back.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Hamilton, Bermuda
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

This is a great hotel on Ocean Drive. You can't be better placed for the buzz of of the Drive and the shopping on Lincoln Road. The best part of the hotel was the friendly staff. Due to rain and a small leak in our room, we were upgraded to a suite. Our original room was great and our Suite was excellent. But they was no question (in their minds) of our remaining in the room and they were very apologetic. In fact, the director of guest services took the time to check we had a good stay and saw us out of the hotel when we left. The bar and restaurant has a nice feel and a good place to relax and watch the world go by. BLT is an excellent restaurant and is solid for breakfast and very good for dinner and lunch. The rooms are all clean and well maintained and are well decorated. The beds are comfortable. But the outstanding feature was the staff and how nothing was too much trouble. Also, if you have time, have a massage on the roof. What fun!

Room Tip: Get a room looking over the beach and pay up for a suite.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the hotel last week for our 10 year anniversary. The concierge as well as the hotel staff could not be more accomodating and made us feel so welcome and comfortable. Our first day there the concierge sat with us for quite a while and helped us set up our anniversary dinner by calling and making the reservations for us as well as many other things. They made our trip as comfortable as could be, we felt very pampered. The hotel itself is beautiful, very cozy and in a great location. As many chain hotels you are just one of hundreds staying there at the Betsy you feel as if you are the only one staying there. Our first day there when we returned that evening there was a bottle of champaign with strawberries and chocolates complinents of the hotel.

Room Tip: When booking a room if you want one with a nice view you definitely want to ask for a ocean front vi...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

The hotel is amazing, the interior decoration is fantastic! The room size is fabulous and the staff are always ready to help the guests. The pool is small, but who needs a pool with a walking distance wonderful beach? Be sure you enjoy the beach anytime you feel like, since the fee is included on the bill. The amenities are great and the restaurant is superb! My husband and me aren't great fans of Miami Beach [we prefer Sunny Island or Downtown], but the location of this hotel is great: a little further from the noisy-messy-nightlife and in front of a paradisiacal beach! Cheers!

Room Tip: Choose for a bigger room, a suite. The size is phenomenal! And buy 30 days ahead to get 20/30% off!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

I stayed at the Betsy Hotel last weekend with some girlfriends. Upon returning to our room on Saturday evening we noticed that the safe was open and that $500 was missing. Although we were pretty certain we locked the safe there is of course a possibility that we inadvertently left it open. Regardless of that possible mistake on our part, it is outlandish that money would be taken at a hotel like this. It is ridiculous to feel like every last valuable must be placed in the safe, when you are paying for an upscale hotel.
Not only was out money stolen, but the hotel manager insinuated that because we were ladies in our 20’s here for a bachelorette party it was possible we were mistaken, more or less implying we were intoxicated and didn’t know what we were talking about. When, upon a recounting of every dime we’ve spent (we kept a written record), his explanation bit the dust, the manager insinuated we lied to get something free from the hotel. This ordeal took hours from our night. We were forced to push back out dinner reservations and missed our after dinner event. We were down in Miami for a friend’s party for only one weekend, the insinuation that we’d ruin our night to that extent for a free breakfast or a free night is preposterous and incredibly offensive.
The manager then decided that since only $500 was missing the story made no sense. Apparently the only way the manager would believe that his staff could have taken something is if every last valuable in the room was missing down to our underwear.
The hotel manager was quick to come up with justifications for how we could have been mistaken, but yet he did not explain the inconsistencies in the accounts of his own staff. We were told that the additional staff member who entered our room was only there for a short period to replace our robes, but that task was not done as she had stated. The robes that she supposedly brought up were nowhere to be found. This discrepancy the manager had no problem with and provided no additional details.
Clearly the management at this hotel needs a seminar on guest treatment. Regardless of the manager’s personal feelings on what may have occurred, he had no right to insult us in that manner. We certainly take responsibility for the possibility that the safe was left open, that however, is no excuse for what happened. We may have left our room in a state that enabled someone to take advantage of the situation, but that kind of behavior should not happen at a hotel that charges over $300 a night for their tiny rooms.

Room Tip: The rooms are tiny. Don't bring a lot of luggage or you won't be able to move
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
TheBetsyHotel, General Manager at The Betsy - South Beach, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
Dear Liz,

I am so sorry to read your review. The story has changed a couple of times, from the earlier review by one of your party saying that she triple checked the safe, to yours saying maybe it was open, to a few other details. Regardless, our full investigation, including cameras, lock read, cameras in all hallways and more have revealed that the money was not in fact stolen by our staff, and we have never had such a situation in the past. It always saddens me when Guests don't leave with a good impression, and although I know that you found this stay and these results disappointing, I remain at your service if there is ever anything I can do for you in the future.

Jeff Lehman
Weybridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

Stayed at the hotel in June 2012. A very nice hotel, fantastically located on South Beach, which really is a must see. The hotel is very visually attractive, so at this moment it is all in favour for The Besty. The rooms however are rather small, and even the biggest rooms would on take about 3 people comfortably, as a family of 5, they were far too small, and 2 days was defiantly enough. The food at The Betsy is to a high standard, but this come at a price, and when i say 'price' i'm talking about $300 plus for a meal at the steak house, which is a joke to be honest, even though the food is to a good standard. My advice is to get out of the hotel and find some other restaurants, as there are many very good ones in a close distance from the hotel. The staff were very helpful at the hotel, and the rooms were very well kept. So as an overall hotel it is brilliant, but for a family, I would sadly have to recommend elsewhere, with bigger rooms. Couples for example! this is the place to be!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

First off, I want to say that I travel with my fiance Isaac a lot and very rarely feel the need to right a bad review, but after our stay last weekend, I feel compelled to warn people about the terrible way we were treated by the staff and management .... and this was AFTER $500 was stolen from our room. Make a long story short, I was down there with about 6 girls and one day we went out for a day trip. I left $500 in the safe and triple checked that I locked it and the door was closed before leaving the room. when we came back late in the day, the safe was open and the money was gone. ok, so we called the police and they came and made a report. I spoke to the director of operations and then the general manager and they both told me the same thing. "we asked our staff if they took your money and they said no" .. then they proceeded to say that they believed their staff over us and insinuated that we were trying to get something free out of them. I've never been so insulted in my life. We spent a lot of money on 2 rooms and the only thing we were looking for was a relaxing vacation. after going back and forth with the manager, the only thing he offered us was a late checkout!! can you believe that?? honestly, I'm still in shock over how they treated us, and how they thought we were lying to them. as if the staff would admit that they stole the money! PLEASE, IF YOU'RE READING THIS, DON'T EVER EVER STAY HERE. there are plenty of nice hotels in Miami to stay at and I'm certain if this happened anywhere else, the manager would have been more accommodating. they were so rude and insulting. please check all my reviews; you'll see that I'm very fair and have reviewed a bunch of places. I tell it like it is; do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else. I just got back to New York and I'm still disgusted over the experience.

Room Tip: don't stay in any of the rooms; the staff has access to all of them and you're liable to get...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
TheBetsyHotel, General Manager at The Betsy - South Beach, responded to this review, June 6, 2012
Dear Isaac,

Although you were not here, I appreciate that your fiance has written her review, as she threatened to do while here. Nora, I am so sorry that this weekend ended the way it did - however, the facts, of which I am not you told your fiance based on his recent social media postings, are that the claim of missing money from your room was so strange that even the police refused to take a report when called; that the money was allegedly stolen from a locked safe, in a locked room, and that both cameras and lock reads confirmed that the two people required to open a safe (in an emergency) were never in your fiance's room. There were 4 people staying in the room, 7 people all in all in your party with 2 rooms, some (not all) money was taken from a co-mingled fund of all 7 of the girls' money, and there was not a shred of evidence of any wrongdoing or security breach.
I fully appreciate how our refusal to comp your stay infuriated you. We spent many hours of research through the night, reviewing digital recordings, interviewing staff and deciding among our Executive Committee how best to handle the situation. As the threat of negative TripAdvisor and other reviews came even before the demand for the police came, I knew that this review would be written. In fact, you confirmed that fact right up to our last conversation before your late checkout. To pay you something in the hope of avoiding a specious, untrue report is not operating with integrity, which we always try to do.
We have many happy secure Guests who have had cash, jewelry and other valuables returned to them, and we go to great lengths to ensure that our hotel is both secure and comfortable. If something ever were to happen, we would of course respond accordingly. My offer to you of a 5PM checkout and a comp night on a return visit was made in the spirit of hospitality, as I still believe you are just confused about what really happened - but i would stake my reputation on the fact that the money was not, in fact, stolen by my staff. The offer still stands if you would like to return to the hotel in the future and experience it (perhaps with Isaac, your fiance?) the way most of our Guests enjoy the Betsy.

Jeff Lehman

Been to The Betsy - South Beach? Share your experiences!