“Betsy Hotel in Miami” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
New York City
“Betsy Hotel in Miami”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

We loved our stay there. Super friendly/helpful staff. Great design/look/feel. Great location.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

1,372 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Geneva
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

I stayed for 2 days with my family after having spent 5 days in the Keys. The Betsy is all what we are looking for : exceptional location, cosy/charming/high class hotel, incredible attention from the employees (not too much, just the perfect attention), small rooms for a family but all brand new with a mix of high tech & 'colonial' touch. What you see in the Deco magazines is all at The Betsy. It has been a long time I did not spend such a good time in a hotel. Congratulations to the owner and the staff, we will come back next year, but for a week this time

Room Tip: Room facing the pool is really calm and peaceful
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Brussels, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

Checking in late at the betsy is a risky business, they happen to be overbooked and give you a room with view on the backyard instead of the ocean, if you do not ask for a suite you get a really thiny room, do not be overweight because you shall not fit in their shower, if you try to leave the hotel because you are disappointed they charge you half rate , for an upgrading with a view being the only left room they charge 600 usd on top of the 490 usd and by the way tbone steaks are overcooked, it takes 65 minutes to get them on your table, breakfast takes 40 minutes to cook an egg which will be overrated, the building is indeed in the art nouveau district but overshaded by a new skycatchter , the swimmingpool lies inbetween to buildings, forget about the sun, an experience of course, but a sad one , is this slh?do you really want to go ?

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean suite or stay at home and do not expect quiteness...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

The Betsy Hotel is a classy, comfortable and very hospitable hotel located next to the Starbucks at 14th and Ocean on the boardwalk. Our family had a very pleasant stay and will return again. The staff is very personal and attentive, and they reminded us of our stay at the Four Seasons in Santa Barbara recently. It was very expensive during spring break, so we were glad to see they provided these services and more. The ambiance is warm (looks just like the website) and inviting and very upscale Miami.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
geneva
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the Betsy with my wife and our two sons. First, the location is great. On Ocean Drive, but at the far end where things are a bit quieter. The hotel is very nice. When we first checked in, we had a classic suite, which was facing a wall and overall was a bit depressing. We asked to change and were upgraded (for a reasonnable fee) to a royal suite. The room was much better and facing Ocean Drive (on the second floor, so no real view of the ocean). This room was fairly large (living room with fold out sofa and bed room), but I would certainly not call it a royal suite.

The staff was nice, although a bit inexperienced, with the exception of a waitress in the BLT restaurant who was clearly not very good and a bit rude. The restaurant is nice, although a bit pricy.

I can recommend the Betsy, as long as you request an ocean facing room. Also, it can be very noisy at night, since the hotel is not very well noise insulated and there are many late nights bar dwellers around, but I guess that's common on South Beach.

Stayed April 2012
Norwalk, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

I chose the Betsy due to glowing reviews on TripAdvisor and overall, the hotel lived up to all of the great things that I read --- great location on the quiet end of Ocean Drive, beautiful hotel and rooms, phenomenal service (Paul the concierge, Adam the bellhop, Jessica the manager), oceanview rooftop for drinks and tanning.

However, I did have a bad experience with a noisy room. I stayed in room 112, which is on the first floor of the hotel and facing an alley way. I could hear any noise that took place in that alley - people talking, trucks driving by - the worst noise was the garbage trucks at 6:30am, practically everyday. They were extremely loud since they were right outside of my window. They not only woke me up, but also woke up the people on the floor above me --- and because all of the floors are hardwood, I could hear my upstairs neighbors walk around once the garbage truck noise woke them up (their walking noise continued to keep me awake).

To be fair, the minute that I brought up the noise issue to hotel staff, they immediately tried to help me out (Jessica, the manager, was very understanding and helpful). They offered to move me to a different room, which I declined to do at first (I felt that packing up all of my stuff would be a pain). But the next day, I did move because the garbage truck noise was intolerable (and I hadn't had a decent night's sleep in the 3 nights that I was there).

I was moved to an oceanfront royal suite, which was gorgeous (and quiet). Jessica sent a plate of fruit to my new room, along with an apology note - which I thought was very nice.

Excluding the noise issue, I truly did enjoy my stay at the Betsy. I would recommend this hotel for others, but be very specific when booking your room. If possible, get a room that is not facing that noisy alley (and on as high a floor as possible).

For Betsy management - I would recommend that you somehow address the noise issue. Give customers a heads up at booking time and/or reduce the room rate to account for the disturbances. Perhaps get windows that are better at muffling the noise.

Room Tip: Do not book a room that is facing the noisy alley - trust me, you will be sleep-deprived.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

This is our favorite Miami place for a getaway. The Betsy is an oasis on Ocean Avenue, perfectly located so that you're close to all the action on South Beach but not in the middle of the noise at four in the morning. The new owners remodeled it a few years ago, and every detail has been attended to with thoughtfulness and style. The piece de resistance is the BLT restaurant, a french-styled steakhouse that is simply fabulous.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side, off the avenue, are quieter.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
TheBetsyHotel, General Manager at The Betsy - South Beach, responded to this review, April 2, 2012
Dear Debra D.,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay with us! I'm happy that you were able to appreciate the attention to detail that we put into each and every decision at the Betsy, whether it be design, service or our partners, including of course BLT-Steak! We have some exciting developments with BLT coming in the next few months, and look forward to your next visit with us to experience them!

Jeff Lehman

Been to The Betsy - South Beach? Share your experiences!