“Beautiful hotel w a great lobby and spacious suites.” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
NEW Breakfast with Betsy
Ranked #4 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Beautiful hotel w a great lobby and spacious suites.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

This hotel hit the mark all around except for the pool. The lobby, restaurant, and rooms were really beautiful and the included beach chairs, umbrella and towels were great. The pool though was not luxurious. The bed and sheets were really comfortable too. We slept well.

Room Tip: We had a pool view suite. If possible go for a beach view. The pool was a dude to look out on to giv...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
TheBetsyHotel, General Manager at The Betsy - South Beach, responded to this review, April 2, 2012
Dear Vittoria,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay. I'm glad that so many apsects of the hotel were to your liking. Regarding our pool, which is in our center courtyard, this is indeed a quiet area of the hotel, which many of Guests prefer due to its general serenity. We do have spectacular rooms and suites with an Ocean Drive view, and while they are elegant, you are still looking out on one of the best views Miami Beach has to offer. It sounds like a plan for your next visit!

Warm regards,

1,352 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

was really looking forward to my stay and the place did not disappoint. from check in to check out, the staff was friendly and professional. the location is great, the restaurant is nice, and even the products in the room are on the fancier side.

took advantage of the beach chairs across the street, pool was nice but sort of enclosed, and was so busy didn't even have the chance to check out the roof deck which i heard was amazing at night.

i'd def rec if u're looking for a nice place to stay in the area.

Room Tip: ask for the upgrade, never hurts to ask.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
miami beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

Cheers to a job well done Betsy Ross, this place has thought of everything. Being a resident of Miami Beach, I had never stayed there, UNTIL last night. I recommended The Betsy to all people coming in because of its amazing location, uber chic decor (picture David Bowie and Chateau Marmont, but Key West Style), and incredible philanthropy programs, however having just stayed there, I must say it is deserving of the highest star rating. Down to the last detail, they have it all. Dylans Candy, Soft batch cookies, smoked almonds, crazy good products (Malin and Goetz), all the technology you could ask for and a truly expert staff. One thing I would like to point out, that not many people know about is how much they give back to the community of Miami Beach, offering their space periodically for free to charities.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

We stayed for 4 nights at The Betsy Hotel, after spending hours reading reviews on this website. The hotel is beautiful, and the lounge / bar area and decking outside front, and on the roof, are really nice places to chill out. As other reviewers have mentioned - the rooms are small. They are NYC hotel size. I had expected them to be bigger for the price paid. We asked to upgrade and were offered a suite [for a few more dollars], although the suite felt even smaller as the room was divided in two with the bathroom bang smack in the middle, so we stayed put. The staff were genuinely very helpful. Our room was very quiet. The hotel is at the quiet end of Ocean Drive, and given the parties going on at the other end of the road, I was glad we stayed where we were.
The room was full of hotel bits and pieces, like about 20 books and several vases and huge lamps, which all looked really nice, but didnt leave any room for our belongings. The rooms were very clean, and the toiletries were nice. The hotel only had one lift which was used by staff and guests, so sometimes you had a few minutes wait.
The bar staff were a bit hit and miss. One or two tended to shout from one end of the bar to the other rather than walking the length of the bar to take our order. The breakfast was lovely, although overpriced. Mind you, everything is overpriced on Ocean Drive.
The beach was very handy. I think the beds are supposed to be available 9-5 each day, but the guys tended to pitch up around 9.30, and then it was like "last orders" from 4.30, with regular 5 minute warnings that they were CLOSING soon.
Apart from a few minor issues, it was a lovely time away in the sun. Not sure I would stay here again, but would recommend for a visit for a few drinks or a meal.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
TheBetsyHotel, General Manager at The Betsy - South Beach, responded to this review, March 7, 2012
Dear Andreainessex,

Thank you for your recent stay and taking the time to comment. I am happy to hear that you had a good stay! We take our Guests and our service very seriously and very personally at the Betsy. Most of the historic hotels in Miami Beach were built 70+ years ago, and have a wide variety of sizes and configurations even within a particular room category. I would be happy to help you personally select a wonderful room or suite for your next visit - please feel free to reach out to me directly for your next visit.

Indy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

Stayed at the Betsy March 1st for only one night with my beautiful wife. Might be the best hotel we've ever experienced, next to the Bellagio in Vegas. Perfect location--one can sit out front or on the rooftop and people-watch for hours. Great restaurant, and we only had lunch there. The staff was superb, from the restaurant folks to the front desk to the consierge--friendly, professional, helpful. We'd give it a 9.9 out of 10. The only thing making it not-perfect was that the room was a bit small, we had a view of the close-by building from our room, and the hotel is expensive. But as I say, that only dropped it to a "9.9", as overall it was fantastic! If you stay here, you will not wish you stayed elsewhere. Instead, it will be an experience you will never forget or regret!

Dear Melmar,

Thank you for your kind words. Bellagio is one of my favorites in Las Vegas, too! At the Betsy, we do our best to elevate personal service and caring about our Guests to an even higher level than can be accomplished at larger properties. I am so happy that you enjoyed the experience. We have specials that are available to repeat Guests only, so perhaps next visit you could try one of our suites - actually almost half of the hotel is comprised of our suites, which offer much more space, coffee makers, 3 TV's throughout the room (including in the bathroom mirror!) and more.

Best regards,

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

What a fantastic hotel, loved the old colonial feel of the place, books, pictures, more like an old plantation house than an Ocean Drive hotel. A tranquil place to wind down after the hectic Miami Beach experience. Great roof terrace with views of the ocean, complimentary towels, & beds on the beach just across the road. Unheated ground floor pool plus Spa on roof. Impeccable service. Great location for the Miami Beach vibe.

Room Tip: Quieter at the back
Midwest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

Our stay had some issues, but if I were to go back to Miami Beach, I’d try The Betsy again – I think it has potential to be a 5 star experience. In retrospect, I would have booked a Suite rather than a “classic” room and called a week ahead of time to confirm my reservation – I think had a done those two things I would be giving The Betsy another star.

Getting to the hotel was pretty straight forward – it’s an easy cab from Miami International. The bellman working the curb was quick to snatch up our bags and whisk us through the crowded entrance into the hotel (the entrance doubles as an outside seating area for their restaurant, and it was in full swing). As you enter the lobby, the BLT restaurant occupies the left hand side, the bar/lounge occupies the right hand side, with the front desk located in the hallway that separates the two. The noise was deafening. Live music was happening in the bar/lounge and the overflow crowd in the restaurant was all in full voice trying to talk over the music and their fellow diners. Talking to the clerk at the front desk was almost impossible. Normally, you really don’t need much communication when checking in – a credit card and maybe a driver’s license goes across the counter and a room key and a pointer to an elevator comes back. Unfortunately, that would not be the case for us – we got the six words you never want to hear when checking in – “Could it be under another name?” Luckily, I had the printout of our reservation, complete with confirmation number, deposit amount, check in dates, etc. So I handed that over, the clerk called in reinforcements (the reservations manager) and lots of huddling and checking and keyboard typing ensued. After about 10 minutes or so, they found us a room for our four night stay. They never did find our reservation. Worrying that our deposit was somehow lost as well, later I checked my past credit card statements and found that they never had taken the deposit either – despite the online reservation system indicating it had done so – complete with confirmation number, deposit amount, balance due, etc. If they normally do something regarding orientation (e.g. how do we get to the beach, rooftop bar, etc.), they skipped it with us that night – honestly, conversation was impossible with all the noise.

Based on the above, you can imagine that we didn’t have the highest opinion of The Betsy when we came down for breakfast the next morning. That is… until we met “Amazing Paul”, the concierge. I stopped by to chat with him about a place for dinner, and as he wasn’t that busy, he ended up giving us a personal tour around the hotel. Awesome! After he got a feel for what we were looking for, we took him up on his offer to “surprise” us and book all of the dinners for the rest of our stay. It all worked out great. Three very different restaurants, all easy to get to, all excellent! I did not recount my experience from our check-in with him – he wasn’t taking pity on us, he apparently is just a really nice guy who loves his job. The experience with Paul kinda reset our opinion on the hotel.

Back to our room - I suspect we may have gotten a room that was out of service (and hence available without a reservation…), and therefore not representative of their normal rooms – it had issues – water stained ceiling, torn awning above the window, missing tv remote, flush handle on the toilet kept falling off, an occasional weird puddle of water that would appear under the toilet, etc. Definitely needed some TLC. The room did appear to be one of the more desirable “types” – 3rd floor, pool view - it was quiet. The view (Room 301) wasn’t anything special, by the way – you’re mostly looking into the side of the hotel, so take that into consideration if you’re pondering paying extra just for that view.

The non-suite rooms are small, and the limited horizontal space is pretty much taken up by hotel “stuff”. The only additional seating is a desk chair (which will quickly become full or your “stuff”) – so the only place to sit in your room is the bed… so you probably won’t want to spend time in your room, other than sleeping. As other’s have mentioned, the hidden gem at The Betsy as far as a place to hang out at the hotel is the rooftop lounge. The bartender was really good there the night we spent some time up there.

Beach access is great – just walk across the street, down a walk way and check –in at the first towel station, and they give you towels and summon someone to set up your beach chairs and umbrella. Don’t plan on being completely out of the sun – the umbrella’s aren’t that big.

Breakfast at the hotel restaurant (BLT) was above average, if a bit pricey. Another convenient option, for both breakfast and lunch, is The Front Porch Café, which is across the street at the Z Ocean - quite a bit cheaper and a menu with a much bigger selection. We kinda split our breakfasts and lunches between the two. The Front Porch is a really nice place to go directly from the beach as it’s more comfortable/casual if you’ve got your beach cover-up on.

The service in the main floor bar/lounge was pretty bad both times we tried it. The bartender wasn’t really interested in fixing us a drink, nor were the waitresses that would come round. I think the greeting we got the first time we sat down in the lounge was something like, “you two don’t really need anything do you?”. There are so many great bars in the area, I don’t really consider to this to be that big a negative – you simply go down the street to find a better bar/lounge. The waiter we had lunch at BLT when we sat out on the porch was awesome. So, in general, service was kinda hit or miss, depending on the employee.

Checkout was easy and efficient and the bill was accurate. The bellman was again very helpful in arranging for us to have a cab waiting to take us to the airport.

As I reread what I’ve written above, part of me thinks I’m being too easy on the hotel and what should be expected if you’re paying $500/night. However… most things in Miami Beach are over-priced, so I don’t think you go there looking for value – you go there for the unique atmosphere and experience. Relative to the going rate for that unique atmosphere and experience – I like The Betsy and would try it again.

Room Tip: Book a suite if you can afford it - regular rooms are really small
Dear Bud 4977,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review on your recent stay. It is truly only through the insight of our Guests that we can continue or never ending mission to respond and improve. I aplogize for the mishap with your reservation - we have since identified that glitch in our reservations interface the day your booking came through and resolved it. Regarding the room that you stayed in, it is simply not representative of the Betsy and I would appreciate the opportunity to make that up to you on a future visit. Our restaurant, BLT Steak, does indeed reach a crescendo (usually between 7-9PM) that can be pretty intense...the good news is that unlike many of the other hotels in the area, we don't keep that pace up all night long, so that both a high energy South Beach experience and a peaceful night can be wrapped up in one location! Please contact me directly the next time that your plans bring you to Miami Beach - I would be happy to handle your arrangements personally.

Jeff Lehman

Been to The Betsy - South Beach? Share your experiences!