“Beautiful and Luxurious!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 201 Hotels in Miami Beach
Charleston,SC
“Beautiful and Luxurious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

My mother and I stayed in the Betsy one night before heading out on a cruise. We booked our stay through a promotion on Jetsetter.com and were a little concerned--this was the most we'd spent on one night in a hotel in recent memory. Money well spent! The hotel was absolutely beautiful in a gorgeous campaign-style way. Grass cloth, animal prints, gilded bamboo, etc. I was so bowled over by the hotel design that I took pictures to replicate at home! We were steps away from the beach (and Starbucks) and enjoyed our beach chairs and towels all day during our stay.

The staff was in a class of its own. We arrived at 8 AM and were given our room immediately (hours before check in). Everyone from the concierge to the bellhops to the cleaning staff were friendly, professional, and seemed happy to assist us. I have never stayed at a hotel with such kind and helpful staff. We had a bit of a mix-up with the continental breakfast credit on our account (due to Jetsetter) so the staff credited us with the difference between the cost of our breakfast at BLT. Everything they did, from choosing our room to hailing a taxi to the port was astounding. I hope the owners of the Betsy recognize the amazing staff they have!

My only criticism is that the hotel had a tiny, slow elevator, which I think was original to the hotel. The wait for the elevator during noon check out was about 5 minutes. The hallways were very warm in the Miami heat. The room got a bit loud in the morning as doors were shutting on the hallway and there was some noise from the courtyard. Otherwise, I have no complaints. Beds were firm and linens were high quality. Our beautiful bathroom had a TV integrated into the mirror--a first for me! The Malin+Goetz toiletries were great quality as well.

We can't wait to visit South Beach again and stay at the Betsy. South Beach can have a dicey atmosphere but we were safe and comfortable there. Kudos to their staff for a job well done!

Room Tip: We had a room on the pool courtyard--it was quiet, but one on the street would have a better view!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

We researched long and hard for our three night stay in South Beach, and chose the Betsy. Excellent choice - the position is great - opposite the beach on Ocean Drive (and Starbucks) but away from the craziness of the main Ocean Drive drag; the vibe is great - live funky music some nights, buzzy lobby, great restaurant with outdoor terrace, stunning rooftop deck, nice inner courtyard pool (but unheated and lacking sun). The rooms are good too - but small - no not small v. small, with minute bathrooms (no bath, just walk in shower, but with great in-mirror tv). The walk in closet was bigger. We were upgraded to a pool view room, overlooking the inner courtyard so it was very quiet. We loved having beach facilities (paid for by an additional resort fee in the daily rate - but it was worth it) - two comfy loungers and an umbrella. There are also drinks stalls on the beach, but Starbucks is also handily located. The roof deck was a great place to watch sunrise or just to chill and has great service. What not to like? Now for the quibbles:

When we checked in the sink plug (stopper) was missing and the single column tap(faucet)had come loose - it's one of those shallow designer basins that look nice but are hopelessly impractical as the water splashes everywhere. No problem - this was fixed quickly.
We never received the slippers meant to be provided at turndown throughout our stay - turndown was intermittent too - only happened two of the three nights. One night no complimentary water was provided either. The worst however was the filthy floor mat that was put out by the bed - it had been laundered, yes, but still was covered in dark coffee stains and should have been thrown out. Oh, also an in-room coffee maker would be nice (this was the only hotel on our three week holiday in north/central America that did not have one) - I gather that this is a facility only provided in the suites. Come on! However, coffee is available at the front desk between 6-8 am for early risers. Oh yes, and when we ate dinner at BLT (great steaks) we weren't served the complimentary pate and pickles (shame I read the reviews post dinner rather than before....). The worst was after check out when we had to schlep our four cases ourself to the kerb - where was the bellboy? Betsy, please get these details right as this it's these little things that prevent the Betsy getting five stars. It's a shame as this could easily be a fantastic hotel. Not withstanding we would recommend this hotel (with the aforesaid caveats) as it really is the best spot on the strip

Room Tip: Ask for inner courtyard: lovely and peaceful
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

The Betsy was our one night stop over on our drive from Fort Myers and Key West. Although it was a busy memorial day weekend for South Beach, the hotel was very quiet and you can hardly hear sound from outside. The room was dreamy, bathroom was sufficient (considering it was just a one night stay), the top deck had the best view of the beach. We had a little trouble with the valet because do not speak Spanish and had to get hold of the concierge to translate for us. The beach and Starbucks are right in front of the hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

We stayed at The Betsy for our girls weekend. I had read the reviews prior to booking so I knew it was going to be great. I am so glad I listened to everyone because our stay was amazing! From the moment we arrived the staff was nothing but accommodating. There were three of us in our group so we stayed in one of the suites. It was absolutely gorgeous! I loved the color scheme of the room (yellow and white). It just made it look so inviting. The beds were very comfortable and the TV in the bathroom mirror was too cool! We also enjoyed the book selection they had in the room. That was a very nice touch.

We spent most of our weekend out and about, but when we were in the hotel it was very relaxing. Our room was not facing Ocean Drive so it was nice and quiet. The only time it was loud was when the trash truck came in the morning. I guess the dumpster was right under our window so it was pretty loud. But that lasted about 5 minutes. The rooftop deck was really nice. We didn't spend much time up there but it did provide for a very nice view of the beach and Ocean Drive.

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay here. I'm glad we chose it instead of the other offerings on SoBe. It was the perfect place to go for our girls weekend. The next time I come to Miami Beach I will definitely be staying at The Betsy.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
TheBetsyHotel, Manager at The Betsy - South Beach, responded to this review, February 1, 2012
Dear Ms. Wahine,

Thank you very much for the wonderful comments about your recent girl’s weekend.

I appreciate the details you pointed out, such as the staff being accommodating, our cool bathroom mirror tv and the popular in-room library being a nice touch.

Our repeat Guests are a big part of our success, and We hope your schedule affords your return to South Beach & The Betsy sooner rather than later.

Warm Regards,

Ed Ponder
Director of Guest Services
The Betsy – South Beach
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

My partner and I had the pleasure of ringing in the New Year at the Betsy Hotel (2012). The moment we stepped on the property we were greeted with an impressive decor, exceptional service and an ambiance we had dreamed of when planning our trip to South Beach. The Betsy did not miss a beat. Upon entering our suite, we were met with the most pleasant aroma and a bottle of champagne. The most impressive experience deals with Paul, the concierge. From day one, Paul had us covered. On the first night we realized that we didn't make dinner reservations for any of the nights we'd be in Miami. Paul sent us to a great restaurant the first night, made reservations for the remaining nights in Miami and then HAND DELIVERED the reservation list to us at the restaurant we were eating at that same night. Needless to say, the Betsy had us 100% after showing that type of service. It all began with Ivan, the sales director, who recommended the suite and really pulled-through this magical experience. From a young jet-setting executive to anyone who reads this, I highly recommend the Betsy Hotel. Ask for Ivan and Paul, then be ready for an experience like no other. Happy travelling.

Room Tip: All rooms are fantastic but live a little and go for one of the ocean view suites
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Cape Town
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Betsy Hotel in Dec 2010. The hotel, the service, the ambiance has to rate as one of the best of all the hotels I have ever stayed at. This was our second trip to Miami and the last time was singularly unimpressed with Miami. In fact I would go so far as to say that we simply took it off our list and avoided it if we could. This time we were catching a cruise that left from Miami so really had no choice. All I can say is that this time we loved Miami we are both convinced it was as a result of this fantastic hotel. I also had left my camera behind in the room and the e mail follow up to return it was absolutely first class. Yes... My camera was returned to me and they offered to post it back to me. I can't say enough about this place and if you read this before booking and go elsewhere, don't ever complain.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Scarsdale, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

it felt like we were staying at a friend's perfect beach house rather than at a hotel. beautiful decor throughout the hotel-- public spaces and our suite, attentive concierge, wonderful menu (including breakfast available at lunchtime) at BLT restaurant located in hotel lobby. perfect location for beach and shopping and walking around.
a spectacular peaceful and spacious rooftop. comfortable and inviting front porch for eating, drinking or just people watching. this was a great visit to miami beach.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

Been to The Betsy - South Beach? Share your experiences!