“The best hotel in South Beach !!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mondrian South Beach Hotel

Save Saved
You added Mondrian South Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Mondrian South Beach Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1100 West Ave, South Beach, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (West Avenue)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to 25% off, Book Today
Ranked #28 of 201 Hotels in Miami Beach
Sao Paulo
“The best hotel in South Beach !!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2010

I have stayed in Mondrian for two weeks on new years`s 2009/2010 . I had a wonderful time at this amazing hotel. It´s definetely not a family hotel . My room was huge with a living area and a small kitchen. All the hotel staff was very friendly and helpful , one of the best services i have ever seen . The hole design is very interesting , very modern and clean. The lobby with the bar and the Asia de Cuba restaurant is a great meeting point , with loud music and beautiful people. The pool area in also amazing , with a fantastic view of Miami Bay and of the sunset. On Sundays they have a brunch by the pool with a DJ and a great crowd. The valet parking works really well too. The location is also great because you are near everything without the traffic and the crowds of tourists on the ocean drive area. In my opinion the only problem of this hotel are the overcharged prices of everything from the minibar , to the pool service and valet parking. Overall was the best hotel i have ever stayed in Miami !!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Lisamondrian, Guest Experience Manager at Mondrian South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, January 16, 2010
Dear Architect,
Thank you so much for taking the time to send us such wonderful praise. We are commited to providing cutting edge service and style. Parking on South Beach is tricky and limited it can be frustrating. Please contact me prior to your next stay to assist making your stay magical!!
My very best to you.
Lisa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
Winnipeg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2010

My husband and I were in Florida for a week after our cruise. We stayed in Miami Beach and Coral Gables (Westin) during our visit to Miami. We got lucky and booked this off hotwire for $144/night as a 4.5 star hotel and so we ended up at the Mondrian. I went to their website and it looked nice, so I had some expectations of the place. I do not think this place is a 4.5 star hotel. I do not agree with how ratings work for majority of the people anyways to start. The ratings are blown out of proportion. A 5 star hotel is something that is suppose to be out of this world like the Burj Al Arab in Dubai. The Mondrian is a 3.5 star hotel at best.

What I liked:
--comfortable bed
--plasma tv

What I didn't like:
--valet parking expensive $37/night or something
--cost of every little service ridiculous (internet use, food in room, room service, etc.) -i like to splurge but not flush my money away. I'd rather go buy a Coach purse than have dinner here.
--shower leaked water out onto the bathroom floor ever time used (room 825)
--staff did not know how to wash dishes. My juice glass had orange juice pulp in it still.
--no hand/face towels the second day. The room service guy said "they haven't been washed yet" when he came to my room with bath towels (are you serious?? okkk)
--the general "feel" of this hotel was very snotty. Sorry, but I am not poor first of all but I am not going to rent a Ferrari or Bently to come to this hotel specially. I was quite content on my rented Chevy that got us from point A to point B. Why the heck would I waste money on renting a luxury car where I don't know anyone? please. and apparently you weren't good enough if you didn't roll in one of those cars. I drive a 525 back home thank you very much. Also, I do not appreciate being looked up and down by other clientele and staff there. I was not feeling well during my stay as I had a cold and I was wearing my most comfy clothes.
--the noise level - the windows and doors and walls are paper thin and I could here other people outside. Absolutely annoying. A hotel of luxury standard invests in soundproofing doors, flooring, windows, and walls at least. it's called acoustic de-coupling and triple pane windows.

Normally this hotel goes for around $400/night. That is absolutely ridiculous for what you get. everything in Miami is overpriced. The Westin in Coral Gables was much nicer and quieter, cleaner and more comfortable.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Lisamondrian, Guest Experience Manager at Mondrian South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2010
I am so sorry to read about your experience with us. I have pased on your comments to the appropriate managment and really appreciate the time you took to express your experience. I am also sorry you were not feeling well when you were with us. Our values as a company include being fun & friendly certainly not snotty, please accept my apologies if that was your impression. Miami vistors can be on the edgy side at times. I hope you will come back to Miami and if so please contact me I would love to make your next stay amazing!
Best Wishes for a Happy Healthy New years!
new york
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2010

Don't stay in this hotel unless you think sleeping in a nightclub is the way to go. We were there over Christmas for 5 nights. Every night the loud music started around 7:45am (Don't stay on a lower floor) in the lobby and continued well past 2AM. I find it hard to believe the hotel staff is more interested in keeping the club atmosphere alive than trying to be considerate to their paying hotel guests. DEFINITELY DO NOT STAY THERE IF YOU HAVE KIDS OR ARE OVER THE AGE OF 30.

The rooms were dirty. Sheets had holes in them and stains on the duvet cover. The robes had gray streaks on them. Despite repeated complaints, the situation never got better. The condition of the rooms were pretty bad considering the hotel just opened in 2008.

Service was appallingly bad. I had to make repeated calls to get any service. Seems like even the staff thinks they're there to have fun and not to take care of the guests. Word to the wise: if they tell you they're going to take care of something, DO NOT BELIEVE THEM. They are always friendly, but I think they just hang up the phone and forget about it.

Also, I saw that other people said valet parking was $37. We might have heard wrong, but we were told it was $87 per night. What I do know for sure is that my family (who were staying in a different hotel) wanted to leave the car with the valet for a few minutes so they could run up and see our room, but the valet told us it would cost $15, and that the minimum charge for any parking of any length of time was $15. Seems to me that different valets were charging whatever rates they felt like. Not a great feeling when you arrive at the hotel and have to deal with them. Plus, it is very easy to find parking on the streets around the hotel.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Lisamondrian, Guest Experience Manager at Mondrian South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2010
Obviously we failed you miserably during your stay and for that I cannot apologize enough. We are in the business of making people happy and I wish we could have done so for you. I have passed on all of your feedback to the relative managers. Parking is 37.00 for overnight guests as South Beach has so little space. If you were to ever consider giving us another chance please contact me directly I would love to try and turn around your experience.
Best Wishes for a Happy New Year!
Lisa McCarthy
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2009

Ahh yes Miami for a quick stop before the Caribbean for Christmas. Many a times we dined/cocktailed (yes, it’s a verb now) here but never stayed for an overnight slumber. We booked 4 nights to escape the brazen NYC winter and alas we arrived.

Of course the Lady Mondrian is sexy and sleek. But did she deliver?

Staff/Service: Unlike many of the reviewers, I found the staff to be extremely friendly and cordial. I find that if you smile, one will always smile back. There was no Miami “attitude” when we arrived- just the attentiveness of the porter to take our bags and the efficiency of the front desk staff to quickly check us in. Did I mention that they were polite and well mannered? And made small talk? And acted (OMG) in other normal human ways? This strange (happy and service oriented) behavior lasted the duration of the stay. There was always someone rushing to open the door, greet us, smile, nod, wink, kiss. We liked that.

Location: Do your research. If you want the Ocean Drive scene, by all means, go stay there and frequent Wet Willies. In my personal (and humble) opinion (which you may refute) I like the vibe on West Street. There are more locals, there is Whole Foods and there is peace within the pulse of SoBe.

Room: This is where the love affair with Lady M would show its cracks. First the positive: the bay view studio room was spacious and clean and I loved that it had a small kitchenette. However, while it ranked high in trendiness, it failed in almost everything else. I shed a single tear as I write because I wasn’t ready to break up with her- not yet. So allow me to vent. For a room that is almost 600 sq ft, there was too much thought put into the appearance and not enough thought put into the functionality. The tiny closet was almost an afterthought and definitely not big enough for two people. Mind you that I live in New York City. In a tiny 1 bdrm apt. So I know about space (and lack there of) and what should/can be done to utilize it. Ok so it’s a small closet. Get over it right? BUT it doesn’t end there. No drawers to put your folded clothes. No vanity. A useless bathroom sink that won’t fit toiletries around it. No hooks in the bathroom to hang up the towels. No were to do my make up. A silly yellow light behind the only mirror outside the bathroom. Yes, I am vain so it got ugly.

But there is a chandelier in the shower. Um, really?

I pause now to take a deep breath and exhale. That was the climax in the relationship- the fight with the Lady M about the room. I expected better! I deserved better! Because I am better! Ok tantrum noted and yes, moving on…

Food: We did room service one night as it was pouring rain and we just couldn’t leave. It was expensive and while it wasn’t fabulous, it wasn’t terrible either. Asia de Cuba we didn’t do this time but we have been there in the past. If you haven’t been- do try. Cocktails are outrageously priced and we just loved that a hefty gratuity is automatically included. So go to the liquor store and get your poison and wine and take your friends up to your room and drink BEFORE you come down for the party. We called and asked for a bucket of ice and extra wine glasses and we were happily obliged.

A few other things to note: parking was more money than the car was per day to rent. We drove around and found a spot and parked for free. If by chance you aren’t as lucky, there is a lot two blocks away and overnight parking is $15. The internet access in the business center was a joke - overpriced. On the plus side, we asked for a late check out of 2 pm and it was granted. We didn’t go to the spa as my friend works at The Standard spa and its def my favorite place to go. If you feel the need to cheat a little on Lady M, go there.

Overall: the hotel wasn’t perfect but really, either am I so I can accept a few flaws and move on. At this moment, its 27 degrees in NYC (but feels like 9!) and I think (well, I know) I would give up my left pinkie toe to be back in Miami or anywhere warm. So I leave you with my review and bestow a kiss upon the head of the Lady Mondrian as she knows we will most likely be back.

Well Ms. Roxy Girl,
You are our kind of guest, wicked glory indeed!! I am thrilled that Lady Mondrian had you, please don't break up with her yet maybe this relationship needs a little time to blossom. We can do better by you! Please contact me prior to your next visit I would love to amaze you!
Best Wishes for a Happy New Year!
Lutry, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2009

The Mondrian is a very trendy hotel. The average age of its guests is probably less than 30. The Mondrian reputation is based on its design and furniture, but the service is unfortunately a little bit lousy and sometimes unprofessional. However, staying there is pleasant if you are not looking for tradition. The Mondrian provides among other gadgets a heated outdoor swimming pool.
The rates are acceptable if you just talk about the room (in my case 250 USD for a superior room), but all additional services (parking, laundry, bar, breakfast etc.) are very highly priced. The final bill for one night was above 500 USD incl. car park (37 USD), two breakfasts and some snacks at the swimming pool.
The location of this hotel is quiet, the only noise comes from the hotel itself. Apart the tremendous noise caused by the parties held at the bar, we had the pleasure to enjoy the fire alarm which started and started again about ten times at 5:00 am. Nobody apologized the next days, noise is part of the environment at the Mondrian. Avoid in particular Fridays and Saturdays if you are looking for quiet nights.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2009

Pros and Cons: Valet Parking only at $37/day - my rented car cost less. Internet (slow) cost $15/day. No beach of course. Bell Boy took half an hour for bags (3 calls to Concierge.) Don't pay the extra for a Balcony room - as Balconies are not private. The restaurant menu was not to our taste so we ate elsewhere. Bartender did not know how to make Irish Coffee.
Room was not cleaned properly.
Decor is light, airy and spacious. Bay views are beautiful. Pool area very nice although people "claim" chairs for the whole day. Service generally friendly and first class (apart from Baggage collection.)
I would stay again but I'd certainly negotiate a lower rate owing to all the extras.
It was and excellent place to get away from Christmas - no decorations and I really appreciated that.

Dear Clogtowner,
I am so happy you took the time to write about your experience and I am sorry we did not fufill all of your expectations. Service is very important to us. Most venues are a short taxi ride or walk away to avoid the valet costs. I love that you appreciated the Decor and found our service friendly. Please contact me personally for your next stay I would like to make it perfect.
My very best to you!
Lisa McCarthy
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2009

Decor in the hotel common areas are pretty impressive, chic and nice I'd say. Party animal will love the happening. Not me.

Ok here's the negatives.

Ok I'm hope I'm not sensitive but Priceline customers do get the 'cheapo' treatment here. I was given a room that could practically hear doors being slammed every other minute from 1500hrs to 1800hrs due to extremely poor soundproofing. After I came back from dinner, the loud noises & chatter along the 5th floor corridor continues till late nite. Bed quality was quite lousy and too soft.

Location wise, the hotel is a long walk from Colins or Ocean Drive or anywhere happening, think around 10-12 blocks. And there's not much around the hotel so its advantageous to drive. Downside, the valet is not cheap at $37 a nite. As as far as valet, tipping is strongly recommended. I forgot to tip once and I'm left to bear the 'you're forgotten' scenario which I do not think I need to elaborate.

And after I left early, I discovered discrepancies charges on my credit card which I wrote to hotel twice and still awaiting reply after 3 days.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Expensive, 2 star room for 4 star Priceline bid...
  • Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Mondrian South Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!