“Fab” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mondrian South Beach Hotel

Save Saved
You added Mondrian South Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Mondrian South Beach Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1100 West Ave, South Beach, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (West Avenue)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to 25% off, Book Today
Ranked #28 of 201 Hotels in Miami Beach
Ireland
“Fab”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

6 weary and exhausted travellers arrived after 10 hectic days in orlando coupled with a 3 1/2 hour journey to be met by courteous and welcoming doormen,valet parkers and bell boys. They introduced themselves and took care of luggage and car. The foyer of the hotel is stunning and I knew immediately we had made the right choice. All the receptionist were extremely helpful and were willing to ' go the extra mile'. Any queries we had were immediately answered. My older children were interested in night clubs and they were provided with a list of recommendations including free tickets. Well done. Rooms are very spacious, clean and include tea/coffee making facilities. Pool area is spotless and each and every pool attendant from David,Josh etc made us feel special and truly enjoy our experience. The ladies very extremely attentive to our liquid and dietary needs!. Continental breakfast was included in our stay with a good array of fruit and pastries. Poolside bar food was fresh, tasty and reasonably priced. Cocktail hour/hours were most enjoyable, especially watching the sunset over the bay. The hotel is approx 15 min walk from beach or shopping or a taxi is approx $5. Overall a most enjoyable experience and one which I shall repeat.

Room Tip: All rooms are great but get a bay view if possible.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Ellis v, Executive Assistant at Mondrian South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Thank you for your recent visit and for this kind review. While we are glad you found our design appealing and our product clean, we are most delighted and proud of the fact that all of our staff greeted you with friendly and attentive interactions. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Ellis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

I actually brought my girlfriend here to take her to a really nice place before her surgery for thyroid cancer (thyroidectomy). Unfortunately, a mistake on my part left us with an unpleasant room. Imagine my dismay when our perfect weekend was ruined by my own actions (it had to do with a confusion on an online booking website).

I did not tell the hotel staff for the reason of our stay at this nice(and very expensive!) hotel. The front desk receptionist (I wish I could remember her name) realized I was visibly distraught. I was supposed to have a room with a view (according to the third party online booking site), but there were none left in our price range. I was distraught because I just wanted to surprise my girlfriend and take her mind off her impending surgery. It would be the last time she would be able to go to a pool for a very long time.

The receptionist then did something that surprised me: She upgraded us to a suite with a balcony and the view we desired. I was stunned by this gesture. I did not tell her what this meant to us, as my girlfriend did not want others to know of her condition. I have stayed at the Ritz-Carlton, the Hilton, all the Fountainbleaus, and the like (this was when I was still a minor, and not a struggling law student). But, the service here was almost like being with family. I felt that these people enjoyed our company and wanted for us to have a good time!

Pros:
-Clean
-attentive
-beautiful rooms
-lively scene

Cons:
-maybe a little loud, but only noticeable on the balcony (when there is a yacht party going on outside! awesome!)

I wish to extend my thanks to Mondrian and its staff. Their actions helped my girlfriend forget about life for awhile and live like queen. Though they may have lost a little bit of money on the rooms for those nights, they gained the loyalty and admiration of a future customer. Luckily, I get to start practicing law in a few months...so I will have more disposable income :)

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Stephen,

Thank you for your visit and for this kind review. We are delighted to know our attentive and friendly staff helped to make your stay memorable. We are very grateful for your loyalty and hope to welcome you back soon. We also hope your girlfriend is recovering well.

Baldwin, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Like all of you, I had myriad choices when it came to accommodations in SoBe and I have no doubt that I made the right decision.

Our stay at Mondrian SB proved to be a true VIP experience. I could not have had more fun celebrating the granting of my divorce. The fact I now enjoy heroic status with my girlfriend is a huge bonus as well.

From the moment we arrived, Priscilla greeted us like family. The aroma in the lobby put a big smile on my girlfriends face and being house-heads from way back, the tunes they were rocking made me feel as if I’d truly come home. Priscilla comped our internet access because we were staying for a long 8 days. The free internet was a NICE TOUCH.

Tatiana, Valerie and all the other front desk staff were spot on. The toilet seat in my room was rather loose so I called downstairs to advise them and they came up and fixed it within minutes.

David, Josh, Wen, Ashley, Chantal, Haley and everyone else by the pool proved to have a unique and attentive style. THESE FOLKS WORKED HARD TO PLEASE US, and please us they did. Our last day which was a crazy busy Saturday, the pool was packed with a wating list to get chaise lounges, but somehow, Josh got us situated within 2 minutes. BIG UPS TO JOSH for pulling a rabbit out of his hat!

The housekeeping staff was also attentive. Our room was cleaned and ready before noon every day during the entire stay.

The view from our 10th floor Bay View Studio was breathtaking. My girlfriend refused to close the drapes so that she could enjoy the view if she had to get up in the middle of the night. That was the only thing that upset me since I had to get up to close them every morning @ 6 AM. Of course, this was not the hotel’s fault LOL.

Whole FoodS, Starbucks, Panera Bread, Walgreens, MB Liquors, Cara Mia Trattoria (Excellent Italian restaurant) and at least 4 DECO BIKE rental locations all within 5 block radius. Also a free Trolley stops almost in front of the property. Trolley makes loops around West Ave & Alton Rd. from Shops at 5th & Alton (TJ Maxx, Publix, Ross) and Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza all the way to Lincoln Road Mall. VERY CONVENIENT AND QUAINT.

No doubt I will be returning to Mondrian SoBe. I have also committed to booking a room for my son next summer as a college graduation present. I hope to share heroic status with him and his girlfriend as well!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Ellis v, Executive Assistant at Mondrian South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear Lenny,

Thank you for your recent visit to Mondrian and for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are delighted you and your girlfriend enjoyed your stay so much, thanks in part to the excellent service you received from so many of our staff as well as our location and vibe. We certainly look forward to many happy returns from you.

Oakville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

My previous experience of boutique hotels was limited to those in the Kimpton and W chains, which whilst being very trendy, went for the darker nightclub feel. The Mondrian was very different and beautifully light and fresh. We spent two nights in the hotel in a bay facing studio which was beautifully designed, had plenty of space and all with an amazing view of the bay. There was very little storage space for luggage but in this case the style over practicality formula worked. The premium for the bay view was pretty modest and definitely worthwhile (remember the hotel doesn't charge a resort fee so that all helps).

The hotel was about a 15 minute walk from the core Ocean Drive area but that did not represent a problem. we preferred the pool at the Mondrian to the beaches anyway. The close by Whole Foods offered a good alternative for lunch or even in-room dinner as the studio comes equipped with a table, microwave, stove etc

Yes the hotel is uber-trendy, it is full of beautiful people (on-site modelling agency) but we didn't find it to be pretentious. Although I wasn't too impressed with Miami Beach I would definitely return to this hotel although I would avoid the weekends and stick to the quieter mid-week period.

Room Tip: Although the studios will accommodate 3 people some have two beds and others have a roll-away bed so...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Ellis v, at Mondrian South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Thank you for your recent visit and for this kind review. While we are glad you enjoyed our location and room product, we are most proud of the high marks you rated us in service. You are correct, we do offer a more festive weekend experience and it is much quieter mid-week. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

The Bad:
When we arrived we were immediately greeted by doormen and a bell boy who quickly unloaded our luggage; we arrived a few hours before check-in time and the hotel was able to accommodate us immediately, which was great as we had just gotten off an early flight. After checking in we saw our luggage on a cart by the door and tried to grab our back to bring with us up to our room, but were told not to worry and that the bell boy would bring them up to us. We arrived at our room and proceeded to wait over 45 minutes for our luggage to arrive; we had to call down twice to ask what the hold-up was and each time were told that the luggage would be up shortly. We decided to go down and grab our luggage ourselves and of course when we arrived in the lobby we see the bell boy waiting to get onto the elevator with our bags. The bell boy was very friendly and after dropping our bags, proceeded to tell us a few features and interesting facts about the room.

Now on to the room itself. Right when we walked in, you could tell that it hadn’t been properly cleaned. If you’re going to color a room in white, you had better make sure that everything is spotless! The floor was extremely gritty and you could see the sand/dirt. There were a few price tags/clothing stickers on the carpet, so clearly the carpet hadn’t been vacuumed properly. On the window sill was a broken lighter, which was carelessly overlooked. The pull-out bed was broken, so we were given a cot. On inspection, there was dirt and leaves in the linens that were used to set the bed.

Our group had two of the same rooms booked, but the second room was significantly nicer than the first. In addition to the full bathroom with shower, it had another half bath without a shower. The second room also had a few other extra pieces of furniture – footstool in the living room, an extra chair and table in the bedroom and much more closet space in the bedroom. I’m not sure why two rooms at the same price were so different, but we definitely felt a bit cheated.

We were checking out on the Sunday but our flight wasn’t until the evening so we decided to hang out by the pool. We asked for chairs and an umbrella, but were told that they had run out of umbrellas and that they would bring one over when one came available. We sat in the shade to wait for an umbrella and waited for over an hour and one was never brought. During that period of time, we saw guests who had just arrived having umbrellas set up for them.

At one point we called down for fresh towels and none showed up. After an hour we called down again and it seemed as though they forgot to send someone. About 20 minutes later, we finally had fresh towels.

On the Sunday I went to use the washroom in the lobby and walked in on a bar staff member half naked, changing into a bathing suit in the open area of the bathroom; I’m not sure why she couldn’t have gone into one of the very large stalls in the bathroom. Also, isn’t there some sort of staff washroom?

The Good:
The pool was beautiful and the view
The concierge Luis was wonderful; he was extremely helpful and arranged bottle service for us at a club in the area.
The pool staff had a great attitude and were always around and willing to move umbrellas, bring more towels, etc. David at the pool was great.
The staff at the Mondrian made the whole experience moderately enjoyable.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Ellis v, Executive Assistant at Mondrian South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear Trisha,

Thank you for your recent visit. While we are happy that David and other members of our staff provided you with excellent service, we apologize for the inconveniences you encountered with your luggage delivery and room cleanliness. Your experience was atypical and not indicative of our high standards. So that we may properly address these shortcomings, I have reached out to you through this site to ascertain more details of your visit. We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Booked the Mondrian, because of the nice pictures, good reviews ánd the fact that they allowed children. Service was good, but not good according to USA standards. View was spectacular, exercise room was overlooking the pool area and Star Island. Location was a bit off as it was too far to walk anywhere with little kids.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Per,

Thank you for staying with us. We are sorry we failed to exceed your expectations. Over the past year since you stayed with us we have made great strides in service and product as evidenced from the number of recent reviews. We hope to have you join us again to see from yourself.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

The hotel was beautiful in a great part of town - just walking distance from the beach. The staff was nice & attentive, especially David the pool concierge. Overall, everything was wonderful. Didn't get to enjoy the pool since I preferred taking the short walk to the beach everyday. Did try the jet skis, great time! Definitely look forward to coming back soon!

Stayed July 2014
Ellis v, Executive Assistant at Mondrian South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear Erika,

Thank you for this review and for your recent visit. We're glad you enjoyed our original room product and our friendly and attentive service. We, too, look forward to your next visit.

Ellis

Been to Mondrian South Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!