“The only place I will stay in south beach” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mondrian South Beach Hotel

Save Saved
You added Mondrian South Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Mondrian South Beach Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1100 West Ave, South Beach, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (West Avenue)   |
Special Offer
Up to 15% Off
Ranked #23 of 201 hotels in Miami Beach
“The only place I will stay in south beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

Hotel is super modern and clean. Rooms are very spacious and comfortable. Pool area is gorgeous and poolside menu was delish. Location is great as Walgreens, whole foods and Starbucks are one block away along with little restos. What made my stay memorable was the very accommodating staff from check in to check out. They truly went over and above and I couldn't ask for anything to be better. This is the only place I will stay in south beach. I will be back to say hi to the friends I've made in the hotel.

• Stayed February 2014
Ellis v, Executive Assistant at Mondrian South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Thank you for your recent stay and for making us your hotel of choice in Miami Beach. We always enjoy welcoming new members into our family. We look forward to many happy returns.

1,374 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

We had a very nice anniversary dinner last night at their restaurant ("The Restaurant"), and throughly enjoyed the experience: The food was outstanding, and to be honest, much better what we expected. I consider it a well-kept secret - there is so much buzz about restaurants in Miami Beach who are of much lesser quality! Also the service, especially Louis, was very nice! This should be a 'destination restaurant', and not just a place to eat when you are in the hotel!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Ellis v, Executive Assistant at Mondrian South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Dear Gerhard,

Thank you for your recent visit and kind review. We are glad you enjoyed your dining experience at The Restaurant at Mondrian. We hope you will join us again soon.

Medellin, Colombia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

After living in Miami on two separate occasions, I was invited to check out the Mondrian Hotel by some old friends. Check in was a little slow but well worth it. I have never been there, but my friends told me they have received excellent service by one particular server and the place has spectacular views. The decor was great as well. I met my friends at the bar area. The bartender Don was also great before we were sat at the cabana by "Chantel." My friends greeted Chantel as if they have known her for year's. Chantel knows her stuff and suggested some outstanding cocktails. There are a lot of beautiful hotels on the beach, but there are very few that can stack up to Chantel's service!

Morgans Hotel Group should be proud to have Chantel (especially) and Don servicing their customers at the Mondrian. My suggestion would be to spread them around the world to the rest of your hotel groups in some sort of a role to touch more customers!

Fantastic knowledge and service!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you. We are delighted that Chantal and Don helped to make your stay memorable. While they are relatively new here at Mondrian they bring a level of service that is appreciated by our guests and staff. We look forward to your next visit soon.

Tinton Falls, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

This was our second time at the Mondrian, and will definitley be coming back for another visit in the near furture! The location is great, a short walk up to Lincoln Road/Ocean Drive. There is a Starbucks, Whole Foods, and Walgreens just steps away from this hotel. If you want something a little bit more relaxed than the hustle and bustle on Ocean Drive, this is the hotel for you. The views of the bay are amazing. Everything about the pool was outstanding--especially the excellent service and care provided by David. He is attentive, friendly, and accomidating to guests' needs.
I know some people complain about the 'smell' throughout the hotel, but I love it. That is one of the reasons I love staying at Morgans Hotel group properties. In fact, I even bought the candle at the Agua spa so my home can smell like the Mondrian!
Looking forward to my next trip back to the Mondrian!

Room Tip: choose a bayside view room--amazing views!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent visit and recommendation. We are glad we are your hotel of choice in Miami, thanks in part to the excellent service you have received. We're glad, too, that you have enjoyed our amenities and scent and hope you think of David and the rest of the team when you light your Mondrian candle. We look forward to your next visit soon.

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

great hotel and staff!! had a problem checking in but steven the general manager made my daughters stay worth while. great attention to detail. That's the way to treat your guest.
Its nice to know that their is still professional managers that know how to please their guest.
Thanks again steven

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for your feedback. We are all dedicated to providing you with friendly and attentive service. This culture is driven from the top down. We are glad your daughter enjoyed her stay here and hope to welcome you all back soon.

Brooklyn
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

If you want to enjoy the South Beach scene but not have to endure the "honky tonk" hassles of Ocean Drive, then stay at the Mondrian conveniently located overlooking beautiful Biscayne Bay. The pace is the same; music non-stop; and the people watching can be terrific. There are hipsters, families, old folks (like us) and lots of cool and not so cool people there. The pool scene is a real scene and it cannot be imagined, while the view is the best in South Bean bar none.

The rooms are eclectic but comfortable; the service crisp and responsive; the ambiance is serene; and it all adds up to a great place to stay. The bathrooms could be improved and the hot water subject to change at any moment. Other than these few distractions, it is a great place to enjoy South Beach and Miami.

Room Tip: Upper floors and either facing the bay or the ocean; great views all around.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent visit and recommendation. We are delighted you found our service to be on point. We also agree that the views our location affords are indeed remarkable. We hope you will join us again in the near future.

Best regards.

Anniston, AL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

We successfully named our own price to stay at the Mondrian in early February, 2014. When we checked in, the clerk offered us an upgrade to a suite for a $50 bump per night. I took the upgrade, which was on the 11th floor.
The hotel's sports an avant garde décor. Various images of the head of a young girl appear throughout the property. The overall effect is kind of creepy, but clearly a matter of taste. As is mentioned in other reviews, some overpowering, retch inducing scent permeates the public spaces, like a bar of soap left on a space heater. I am willing to accept Ellis's reassurances that the substance used is non-carcinogenic, but think that is hardly the standard we ought to be using to judge the engineered odors of swanky hotels. When choosing a smell, I think I would try to go with "universally appealing" or "smells good, I don't care who you are" instead of "most assuredly won't give you cancer."
However, the decorating had some high points. Along with girl head, the recurring decorating themes include a custom delft pattern applied to carpets, wallpapers and other decorations. Various random and unusual scenes are depicted in the panels, which I thought was pretty cool. Dance music is frequently played at volume in the lobby.
There is a large swimming pool adjacent to the bay in the back of the hotel. It is surrounded by chaises, with cabana's on the periphery. There is an open air bar and outdoor seating area for the lobby restaurant.
The fitness room also overlooks the bay (and pool). There are a number of treadmills and elipticals, as well as mid grade machines and a decent set of dumb bells.
I must confess that I was disappointed by the way our room was furnished. The living space had a medium size love seat and diminutive matching ottoman as the only upholstered seating. The love seat's upholstery was stained and torn. The only chairs in the whole suite were three hard straight chairs at the desk and kitchen table. There was no coffee table, no arm chairs and no end tables, except that there was a small table (about a foot high) with a tiny lamp on the floor. The arrangement could be best used as a reading light for a cat. There were no chairs in the bedroom.
Facing the love seat was a wall sized built in, with an orange mirror, two sheets of mismatched wallpaper and headshot of the freaky girl and a flat screen color tv. My wife objected that freaky girl creeped her out while we were watching tv. I think she was eventually hypnotized by image's enormous eyes and quit complaining.
The bedroom had a large built-in that contained closets, drawers and another flat screen tv. The bathroom was fairly large, with a big shower and overhead shower head built into a faux chandelier.
The kitchenette had two electric eyes, but no pots or pans. There were two bowls, two cups, two plates and 2 forks, a microwave and single serve Keurig coffee maker. The refrigerator was completely full of mini bar items, for which I never saw a price list. It didn't matter, as I replaced all of it with stuff we bought at the whole foods across the street.
I'm not docking the Mondrian for its freaky, girl head decorations or gaggy air toxifier. Clearly, the hotel was not decorated to appeal to middle-aged lawyers that bottom feed on name your own price hotel rooms. I did find the manner in which our suite was decorated to be below the standards required by a 4.5 star hotel.
However, I am unhappiest about the way I was swindled into a substandard so-called upgrade. My winning bid (from another travel site that rhymes with Splice Prine) was $300, which was $50 below the discounted rate advertised online. I know that higher end hotels usually only put their hard to let rooms on that site. I would have been more understanding of the dog of a room I was given if I had stuck with the PL room. However, I paid for an upgrade, but really only got another substandard Splice Prine set-aside room.
So Ellis, please explain how it is consistent with your employer's mission statement to sell discount minded guests upgrades that are not upgrades at all, but instead rooms that ought to be taken out of service completely or only sold to Splice Prine customers that don't think they are getting an upgrade.

Room Tip: Call Ellis and ask him to pick out a nice room for you.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Ellis v, Executive Assistant at Mondrian South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Dear Charles,

Thank you for your recent visit to Mondrian and for taking the time to write this review. Your upgrade was from a Studio to a 1 Bedroom Suite. We apologize you were not satisfied with this or our minimalist furnishings. We are glad, however, that you found our design elements cool and hope you enjoyed our pool area and service.

Ellis

Been to Mondrian South Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!