“Great service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mondrian South Beach Hotel

Save Saved
You added Mondrian South Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Mondrian South Beach Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1100 West Ave, South Beach, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (West Avenue)   |
Special Offer
Up to 15% Off
Ranked #22 of 201 hotels in Miami Beach
Baltimore, Maryland
“Great service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

2nd stay at hotel. Amazing service from pool, front desk, and restaurant staff. Whole Foods and Starbucks less than a block away, so stocking the kitchenette was a breeze. SoBe circular stop in front of hotel and runs about every 20 mins. Opting for a cab ride to Lincoln Rd will run you about $6. Important to note that if you book through an online deal/resort promotion, you are not considered a guest of the Mondrian. The resort company owns units within the building and rents them out, so traditional Mondrian services (complimentary Wifi, daily room service, etc) are not available to you. That said, room was exactly the same as the traditional Mondrian unit, towel service was provided daily and required service to my room telephone was handled promptly and professionally. Trade offs were worth the savings.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Ellis v, Executive Assistant at Mondrian South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Thank you. We're glad you found our service to be top notch.

1,365 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

I chose the Mondrian as I was holidaying in South Beach, as the photos looked great. I stayed for 8 nights at the beginning of August and my experience was wonderful.

The location is quiet and residential, ideal (15-20 minutes walk to/from the beach) if you get easily tired of the almost continual party atmosphere on the beach (there's only so much banging house music I can take). My room was on the 15th floor not facing inwards to the poolside, so the noises that other guests have mentioned were minimal. There was a nice mix of guests during my stay, ranging from families with young children, young and older couples, and other groups.

Room cleanliness was very good. I didn't use the kitchenette, so that was a bit redundant for my needs. I ordered room service on my first night, and the service was prompt and the food was good and not expensive. I also had a drink at the bar, and it was pretty strong (whatever it was). Mac, the bartender, was a good host and we had a good conversation.

Unlike some other reviewers, I got used to the siren on the room wall, as the myth of the area being an undersea kingdom, hence the design theme of horses, seaweed and the sirens was explained to me. I thought the interior design of the hotel was unique and very striking, and the sun setting over the bay was a great sight.

The continental breakfast was just right for me in the mornings and the service was great. Sharmaine, Kasandra, Frederica, Jocelyn and Alex were very friendly and attentive, as were all their colleagues.

Enrique and Luis on the concierge desk were brilliant and very helpful, sorting out my social calendar for the week. Thanks to Enrique's recommendation I ended up at Van Dyke Cafe on my first night (and every night after as it's the best place for live music in Miami), where I got to see (and meet) the most amazing jazz singer (Michelle Manzo). Thank you Enrique! Luis sorted out my bus tours and the pointed me in the direction of the Wynwood Art Walk on the Saturday.

I have also to mention Zuca, Mike and G who were great and looked after me with taxis, directions and were great to chat to while I was I passed through the lobby and reception.

Finally their colleagues on reception who I interacted with: Angela, Ariel, Rosa and Priscilla were all incredibly warm and genuine towards me (I don't think it is was entirely because of my British accent either..).

My week in Miami was a truly fantastic experience, and that was in large part due to the Mondrian and especially the staff. I got on with them so well, they all have an open invitation to visit me in the UK anytime, that's how nice they were.

Super!

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors will have less noise than mentioned in other reviews
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your kind review and recent stay. We are delighted you found our staff--across the hotel--to be so friendly and accommodating. We are a family of passionate individuals dedicated to providing an original guest experience in a friendly, attentive and gracious manner. We are happy you found this to be the case. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

The Mondrian looked like a glamorous hotel choice for a city that is depicted in television and film as both luxurious and on trend. At a glimpse the hotel is bespoke and unique but taking a closer a look I was extremely disappointed with some of the finer details. The white curtains that surround the focal points of the pool were dirty and ripped and the 'kissing corners' that are proposed as private relaxation areas had dirty sheets/seats.
However, the staff particularly Nancy and the pool side were extremely helpful and friendly. In addition when our toilet began making extremely loud noises the engineering staff were on hand to immediately repair it.
Having spent the previous week in Orlando and you were given various benefits from you hotel such as free wifi/coffee etc NOTHING came free in this hotel. You have to pay for wifi in your room and a 4 drink hotel bar bill came to almost $80 which considering 4 drinks at Nikki beach during their 'Amazing Sundays' event cost half that it seemed a lot!
I didn't complain to the hotel as none of the above impacted negatively on my holiday and generally it was a really nice stay (hence the 4 star rating); however, the hotel just simply did not live up to my expectation of TV/film 'Miami fabulousness' or the pictures on their website.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Hannah,

Thank you for your recent visit and for this review. We're glad our staff helped to make your stay enjoyable. We apologize for the minor inconveniences you experienced but are glad these didn't affect your overall stay. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Delray Beach, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I picked the Mondrian for my sister's bachelorette party after being at the pool one day and eating at Asia de Cuba,. Our overall experience at the Mondrian was excellent. The front desk staff was very accommodating and when one of our rooms wasn't ready in time they gave us champagne!!! The rooms were clean and very spacious (1 bedroom suite), the pool staff was very friendly and made the day a lot of fun!! Big Shout out to David the pool concierge, he makes you smile and makes you feel at home, not the typical snobby south beach pool staff that don't care about you. The servers were very sweet as well. We had a cabana which was a lot of fun for a big group, but not necessary if you are a smaller group(unless you need the shade). I would stay here again in a heart beat and recommend to others!! It was a great location (close to Lincoln road, whole foods, star bucks, walgreens and other shops which was convenient).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Ellis v, Executive Assistant at Mondrian South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Leah,

Thank you for your recent visit to Mondrian and for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are delighted our staff helped to make your celebratory weekend memorable. David and his team are part of our dedicated family of individuals devoted to providing original guest experiences in a friendly, attentive and gracious manner and we are delighted you found this to be the case. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Stayed here for three weeks and at first, it was horrible. First day, they gave us trouble checking in and after FINALLY getting checked in, saw a bug in the room. After calling the front desk, the manager had upgraded us to a one-bedroom suite for the rest of our stay. The front desk staff were incredibly helpful at all times, even getting me reservations last minute. Valet guys were incredibly helpful and always asking how I was doing and whatnot. Absolutely pleasant staff and they made the whole time there enjoyable! Downside - it's $37 a night to park your car in the hotel, but you can come & go nonstop as you please during a 24-hour period. Also, another downside is occasionally rowdy people throw pool parties in the middle of the night, but security was on top of that.

Room Tip: Try to get a bay-view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you. We apologize for the initial inconvenience you experience but are glad our team was able to sort it out to your satisfaction. We hope to see you again soon.

Oakville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

The Mondrian hotel was offered as a vacation package by Air Canada. TD travel was able to book it for me at a great rate with complimentary breakfast included. I was totally satisfied with my 4 nights stay.
Mondrian is chic and modern, overlooking the Biscayne Bay. Room is well designed, spacious and comfortable. Also comes with an equipped kitchenette.
Service is impressive. Reception staff very helpful. Breakfast was excellent with a good selection.
Hotel is within walking distance to Miami beach, Lincoln Rd shopping, Collins Ave and Ocean Drive where all the action is. Whole Foods, Starbucks and several restaurants across from hotel.
Check out Bal Harbor shopping mall. It is located on the north end of Collins Ave and about a half hour bus ride. Fare is $2.00 each way. Must have correct change. Very pricey upscale designer stores that caters to the likes of the Kadarshians. Worth taking a peek!
For convenience it is okay to book excursions with the hotel concierge. However, one can also hop on the 'S' bus that will take you to Bayside. This is where you can purchase tickets for the Biscayne Bay boat trip after which you can browse in the shops or have lunch. The American Airlines Arena, home of the Miami Heat is right there but note that it is closed on Sundays.
I would also like to mention that South Beach is a tourist trap especially on Oceans Drive. Be sure to check your restaurant bill as it will include a 15-20 % gratuity. Happy hour drinks is 2 for 1 and that basically means that you will get a huge 42 oz glass of whatever you order which is more than you can drink. Our dining bill totalled an exorbitant $122 for two persons. That included just sea food paella and one drink each, nothing fancy. Don't eat there if you can avoid it.
South Beach, Miami, is worth visiting. Caters to mostly the young crowd. I would definitely revisit Miami and stay at the Mondrian. Fabulous hotel! Would strongly recommend.
Do not stay at boutique hotels on Ocean Drive as it get real noisy in the night. This is the night-live district and the restaurants and bars open till 1 am and some of the accommodations are situated right above the restaurants. Go to the Mondrian, you will not regret. If you have TD Visa I would encourage you to go to their travel shop.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the bay and on higher floors have great views of the Miami skyline.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Ellis v, Executive Assistant at Mondrian South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thank you for your review and recent visit. We are grateful for your recommendation. We hope you will join us again soon.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

It took me about three weeks to decide on a hotel to stay while in Miami for my friends birthday. We all decided to stay at different hotels but I'm really happy with my choice. I stayed at the Mondrian recently for a three night stay. It was a 15-20 minute walk to OCean Drive/beach. I liked being able to go out and party and come back to a quiet peaceful place to sleep.I'm a much nicer person that way. The hotel is one block away form Starbucks and Whole Foods to the right of the hotel. The hotel is close walking distance to a 24 hour CVS, banks, shops, etc. to the left of the hotel on ALton dr.
CHECK IN:
I arrived to the hotel at 6 or 7 pm and was greeted and checked in by a really pleasant front desk guy. The check in process was simple and sweet. Their deposit policy is $150 per day. The common area was breath taking. All white, simple elegant.
ROOM:
I checked in to a beautifully spacious studio which I have to assume is the smallest room they have. It had a king size bed which was pretty comfortable, a cute little couch that sits 2 maybe 3, a flat screen t.v that offers pay per view and basic cable, a fully stocked mini bar which I did not use, a small stove top but I didn't see any cookware, and a dock for my ipod/iphone . The internet is 15 for 24 hours which is the only thing I don't like. You could get free internet pretty much anywhere now. Its so crucial. Free internet at the pool though. There is one closet that was enough for me. I came with just one carry on bag, but if my friend were to stay in the room, they would probably need 3 more closets. The bathroom was also spacious, but the shower was a little tricky to turn on because it was a bit fancy but once you figure out the turns and functions its quite neat. I really like the chandelier shower and the pressure was just right. I got the city view on the 9th floor which is nice to see the sun rise and sun set. The art of the girls head in the room was creepy the first night, but I got used to her oversized head.
POOL and FOOD:
I was finally able to take advantage of the pool on Sunday and before check out. Pool hours are from 10AM to sunset. The bartender (sorry didn't get the name) was very helpful in hooking me up with the "Hurricaine". Isaac helped me get set up with towels. His smile will brighten anybody's day. He was friendly and such a sweetie :)
My friends and I also sat at the table and ate lunch. I had the double burger one day and the next day I had the chicken sandwich. Delicious, fresh fries. Harry and all the beautiful hostess at the pool ( oh and David too) was prompt and also friendly. They all made you feel at home...no wait better than being at home, very hospitable.
CHECK OUT and FRONT DESK
The most gorgeous front desk gals and guys. Not only are they gorgeous, they are informative and accommodating too. Angela was very helpful in getting me a later check out and directing me to Lincoln Mall to kill time before I check out. Easy check out. The hold on my credit card cleared in about 2 days after check out. Bill was correct, no errors.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay. I will be back, me and all my minions. lol

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Ellis v, Executive Assistant at Mondrian South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Thank you for your recent visit and kind review. We're pleased you enjoyed your visit, thanks in part to our friendly and helpful staff. Our team is dedicated to providing an original guest experience in a friendly, attentive and gracious manner; we are delighted you found this to be the case. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Ellis

Been to Mondrian South Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!