“I wanted so much more...” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Up to 25% off, Book Today
Ranked #15 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“I wanted so much more...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

The Mondrian looked like a glamorous hotel choice for a city that is depicted in television and film as both luxurious and on trend. At a glimpse the hotel is bespoke and unique but taking a closer a look I was extremely disappointed with some of the finer details. The white curtains that surround the focal points of the pool were dirty and ripped and the 'kissing corners' that are proposed as private relaxation areas had dirty sheets/seats.
However, the staff particularly Nancy and the pool side were extremely helpful and friendly. In addition when our toilet began making extremely loud noises the engineering staff were on hand to immediately repair it.
Having spent the previous week in Orlando and you were given various benefits from you hotel such as free wifi/coffee etc NOTHING came free in this hotel. You have to pay for wifi in your room and a 4 drink hotel bar bill came to almost $80 which considering 4 drinks at Nikki beach during their 'Amazing Sundays' event cost half that it seemed a lot!
I didn't complain to the hotel as none of the above impacted negatively on my holiday and generally it was a really nice stay (hence the 4 star rating); however, the hotel just simply did not live up to my expectation of TV/film 'Miami fabulousness' or the pictures on their website.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Ellis v, Executive Assistant at Mondrian South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Hannah,

Thank you for your recent visit and for this review. We're glad our staff helped to make your stay enjoyable. We apologize for the minor inconveniences you experienced but are glad these didn't affect your overall stay. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Ellis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (479)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Delray Beach, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I picked the Mondrian for my sister's bachelorette party after being at the pool one day and eating at Asia de Cuba,. Our overall experience at the Mondrian was excellent. The front desk staff was very accommodating and when one of our rooms wasn't ready in time they gave us champagne!!! The rooms were clean and very spacious (1 bedroom suite), the pool staff was very friendly and made the day a lot of fun!! Big Shout out to David the pool concierge, he makes you smile and makes you feel at home, not the typical snobby south beach pool staff that don't care about you. The servers were very sweet as well. We had a cabana which was a lot of fun for a big group, but not necessary if you are a smaller group(unless you need the shade). I would stay here again in a heart beat and recommend to others!! It was a great location (close to Lincoln road, whole foods, star bucks, walgreens and other shops which was convenient).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Ellis v, Executive Assistant at Mondrian South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Leah,

Thank you for your recent visit to Mondrian and for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are delighted our staff helped to make your celebratory weekend memorable. David and his team are part of our dedicated family of individuals devoted to providing original guest experiences in a friendly, attentive and gracious manner and we are delighted you found this to be the case. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Stayed here for three weeks and at first, it was horrible. First day, they gave us trouble checking in and after FINALLY getting checked in, saw a bug in the room. After calling the front desk, the manager had upgraded us to a one-bedroom suite for the rest of our stay. The front desk staff were incredibly helpful at all times, even getting me reservations last minute. Valet guys were incredibly helpful and always asking how I was doing and whatnot. Absolutely pleasant staff and they made the whole time there enjoyable! Downside - it's $37 a night to park your car in the hotel, but you can come & go nonstop as you please during a 24-hour period. Also, another downside is occasionally rowdy people throw pool parties in the middle of the night, but security was on top of that.

Room Tip: Try to get a bay-view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you. We apologize for the initial inconvenience you experience but are glad our team was able to sort it out to your satisfaction. We hope to see you again soon.

Oakville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

The Mondrian hotel was offered as a vacation package by Air Canada. TD travel was able to book it for me at a great rate with complimentary breakfast included. I was totally satisfied with my 4 nights stay.
Mondrian is chic and modern, overlooking the Biscayne Bay. Room is well designed, spacious and comfortable. Also comes with an equipped kitchenette.
Service is impressive. Reception staff very helpful. Breakfast was excellent with a good selection.
Hotel is within walking distance to Miami beach, Lincoln Rd shopping, Collins Ave and Ocean Drive where all the action is. Whole Foods, Starbucks and several restaurants across from hotel.
Check out Bal Harbor shopping mall. It is located on the north end of Collins Ave and about a half hour bus ride. Fare is $2.00 each way. Must have correct change. Very pricey upscale designer stores that caters to the likes of the Kadarshians. Worth taking a peek!
For convenience it is okay to book excursions with the hotel concierge. However, one can also hop on the 'S' bus that will take you to Bayside. This is where you can purchase tickets for the Biscayne Bay boat trip after which you can browse in the shops or have lunch. The American Airlines Arena, home of the Miami Heat is right there but note that it is closed on Sundays.
I would also like to mention that South Beach is a tourist trap especially on Oceans Drive. Be sure to check your restaurant bill as it will include a 15-20 % gratuity. Happy hour drinks is 2 for 1 and that basically means that you will get a huge 42 oz glass of whatever you order which is more than you can drink. Our dining bill totalled an exorbitant $122 for two persons. That included just sea food paella and one drink each, nothing fancy. Don't eat there if you can avoid it.
South Beach, Miami, is worth visiting. Caters to mostly the young crowd. I would definitely revisit Miami and stay at the Mondrian. Fabulous hotel! Would strongly recommend.
Do not stay at boutique hotels on Ocean Drive as it get real noisy in the night. This is the night-live district and the restaurants and bars open till 1 am and some of the accommodations are situated right above the restaurants. Go to the Mondrian, you will not regret. If you have TD Visa I would encourage you to go to their travel shop.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the bay and on higher floors have great views of the Miami skyline.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Ellis v, Executive Assistant at Mondrian South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thank you for your review and recent visit. We are grateful for your recommendation. We hope you will join us again soon.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

It took me about three weeks to decide on a hotel to stay while in Miami for my friends birthday. We all decided to stay at different hotels but I'm really happy with my choice. I stayed at the Mondrian recently for a three night stay. It was a 15-20 minute walk to OCean Drive/beach. I liked being able to go out and party and come back to a quiet peaceful place to sleep.I'm a much nicer person that way. The hotel is one block away form Starbucks and Whole Foods to the right of the hotel. The hotel is close walking distance to a 24 hour CVS, banks, shops, etc. to the left of the hotel on ALton dr.
CHECK IN:
I arrived to the hotel at 6 or 7 pm and was greeted and checked in by a really pleasant front desk guy. The check in process was simple and sweet. Their deposit policy is $150 per day. The common area was breath taking. All white, simple elegant.
ROOM:
I checked in to a beautifully spacious studio which I have to assume is the smallest room they have. It had a king size bed which was pretty comfortable, a cute little couch that sits 2 maybe 3, a flat screen t.v that offers pay per view and basic cable, a fully stocked mini bar which I did not use, a small stove top but I didn't see any cookware, and a dock for my ipod/iphone . The internet is 15 for 24 hours which is the only thing I don't like. You could get free internet pretty much anywhere now. Its so crucial. Free internet at the pool though. There is one closet that was enough for me. I came with just one carry on bag, but if my friend were to stay in the room, they would probably need 3 more closets. The bathroom was also spacious, but the shower was a little tricky to turn on because it was a bit fancy but once you figure out the turns and functions its quite neat. I really like the chandelier shower and the pressure was just right. I got the city view on the 9th floor which is nice to see the sun rise and sun set. The art of the girls head in the room was creepy the first night, but I got used to her oversized head.
POOL and FOOD:
I was finally able to take advantage of the pool on Sunday and before check out. Pool hours are from 10AM to sunset. The bartender (sorry didn't get the name) was very helpful in hooking me up with the "Hurricaine". Isaac helped me get set up with towels. His smile will brighten anybody's day. He was friendly and such a sweetie :)
My friends and I also sat at the table and ate lunch. I had the double burger one day and the next day I had the chicken sandwich. Delicious, fresh fries. Harry and all the beautiful hostess at the pool ( oh and David too) was prompt and also friendly. They all made you feel at home...no wait better than being at home, very hospitable.
CHECK OUT and FRONT DESK
The most gorgeous front desk gals and guys. Not only are they gorgeous, they are informative and accommodating too. Angela was very helpful in getting me a later check out and directing me to Lincoln Mall to kill time before I check out. Easy check out. The hold on my credit card cleared in about 2 days after check out. Bill was correct, no errors.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay. I will be back, me and all my minions. lol

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Ellis v, Executive Assistant at Mondrian South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Thank you for your recent visit and kind review. We're pleased you enjoyed your visit, thanks in part to our friendly and helpful staff. Our team is dedicated to providing an original guest experience in a friendly, attentive and gracious manner; we are delighted you found this to be the case. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Wellington, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Recently stayed here a for staycation and was very impressed by the hotel. The rooms and the hotel were definitely true to the Mondrian name- clean & contemporary meets quirkly Alice in Wonderland. Our suite was spacious and luxurious and I loved the bath products. The pool sits right on Biscayne Bay and is absolutely gorgeous. The pool scene is definitely more serene than the pool party scene of the Fontainebleau or other South Beach hotels- so if you are looking for that vibrant party scene- you might want to venture somewhere else. Its also on the more quiet side of South Beach- so I definitely recommend having a car or you will find yourself cabbing it to most of your destinations.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you. We're glad you enjoyed your staycation and hope to welcome you back again soon.

Basel, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I stayed 4 nights at this Hotel and I can say it was really AMAZING. First the Staff is simply great, like very kind and always helpful. The Manager can be happy to have such friendly people working at this Hotel, which is not always the case when you are in South Beach. Well the receptionist are very sympatic and provided you with the best Service possible.

I was in a Studio, it was great, large room and clean. Had a kind of kitchen inside as well. The Breakfast had not a big viarety of choices but the food what was there was delicious. The Service at the Breakfast as well great.

The Pool is nice and you have always someone around helping you with anything you need.
We had free WiFi which I think it is a very imortant part of a Hotel nowadays to have. I thought I would have to pay extra for it but was not the case.

I am returning to this Hotel for SURE.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Dario,

Thank you for your recommendation and recent visit to Mondrian. We're happy you found our rooms to be comfortable and are delighted you found our staff to be friendly and helpful--we feel strongly that it is our team which makes the difference. We're glad, too, you will be joining us again the next time you are in Miami; we look forward to your return.