“Everything you want in a South Beach hotel. Amazing rooms, pool, spa & location!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of W South Beach

Save Saved
You added W South Beach to your Saves list
W South Beach
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2201 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #24 of 201 Hotels in Miami Beach
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2011

I took my husband to this property as a surprise weekend get-away and we stayed in the 'fantastic suite' for 3 nights. It truly was fantastic!! Check-in was quick and simple and the staff went out of their way to make sure we were happy. The suite consisted of a large living room, separate kitchen (great for preparing appy's & drinks while getting ready for dinner each night!), nice terrace with comfy chairs (partial ocean view), good size bedroom and 1 1/2 bathrooms. The furnishings are modern and stylish, just what you'd expect from a SOBE hotel. LOVED the pool, LOVED the private beach, LOVED the spa. We didn't eat in any of the restaurants (although the poolside lunches were delicious). The location was ideal, we walked to all the other well known hotels for nightly drinks and rooftop views. It wasn't a cheap weekend, but it was memorable, relaxing and fun. We'll be back next year!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2011

Physically the hotel is the best in South Beach. The Suites are fantastic and have lovely balconies and terraces. The rooms are spacious and well appointed. Food is very good, particularly lunch by the pool. A cabannah is a very good idea if you are there at a busy time.
The hotel is geared towards late teenagers and young adults. The club in the hotel is open until 4AM. The noise is very bad for all suites and rooms facing the pool area. Its even worse if you are on the lower floors sinced you also hear people leaving the club and noisily calling for taxis.
The service was ok, but was severely under pressure during Christmas and New Year when the hotel let itself down. The wait time for room service was very poor.
Having said that...the management did their best to rectify all these problems and were most helpful and caring. They gave me an extra suite complimentary so i could avoid the noise (i had a suite on the lower floor). The staff were exceptionally polite.
The hotel is a fine place to stay if you are in your twenties or thirties and if you like the club scene. Avoid staying at peak periods. Take the highest floor possible.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

We recently stayed in this hotel on 01/19/11. We were supposed to have stayed on until 01/21/11 but we were literally shaken awake by the bass from music emanating from the club below us. It was 1:50am. We had to call a few times to get any information. Finally the person on the phone stated there was nothing they could do about the noise and offered us another room. Since that involved packing a lot of things in the middle of the night with no proof that it would be any better in this new room, we decided to leave and begin our 10-hour car ride home.
This was an ending we should have seen coming.
We arrived in our room the day before to find a broken toilet that wouldn't stop running, a broken lamp that had to be propped up against the wall to keep it from crashing to the floor, several cigarette burns on the chaise lounge cushions and fingernail/toenail clippings all over the living room carpet.
Then we went down to have lunch at your Spanish-inspired restaurant. We were ignored for 30 minutes until I had to find someone to track down our food. then we were ignored for another 45 minutes until I had to get up once again and ask for our check. Some of the worst service I've ever experienced at a restaurant.
Suffice it to say, this was definitely our worst experience ever at a hotel in all our years vacationing. We thought a W experience would be worth the amount of money we were spending but we were very, very wrong.

New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

Any upscale South Beach property can offer beautiful rooms, high ceilings, the latest in high tehc kitchens and a large pool both heated and landscaped. But what stood above all at the W was the understated sincerity of the staff, their eagerness to accomodate any request or issue, even willing to walk a block or two for that purpose. For example, when the maid accidently discarded a cooler box, the staff offered to go to Walgreens and replace it(We politely declined) Or when our daughter thought she had a fever(she did), they offered to go to Walgreens and buy her a thermometer(again, we declined). But the icing on the cake took place hours after we arrived. I did not realize that both a ten and twenty dollar bill had fallen out of my pocket when changing to go to the pool. Upon my return, both bills will sitting on the counter. The maid could easily have taken the money and , since I did not know they were missing, would never have known. That display of honesty was truly impressive and I reported this to the front desk.

In response to some of the other comments, our check in was a breeze, many languages were spoken in the elevators and no one acted in an inappropriate fashion. In fact, when the club was open, the staff went out of their way to keep the patrons away from hotel guests. Much appreciated. And when Lebron showed up our first night, that was a thrill.

Kudos to the staff and special thanks to Rick, Carolina, and especially Matthrew.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
WSouthBeach, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, February 8, 2011
Thank you for your kind words. We continue to strive to raise the experience levels of all of our guests. This did not happen overnight and we are still working to perfect the the experience. Thank you again for your kind words and its good to see things paying off.
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2011

Extremely disappointed by this hotel. I've been a Starwood hotel fan for 15 years and have never been treated this poorly. I waited 4 hours to check into my room (while watching 30 different people check in ahead of me while I was waiting. Almost every single person, from the receptionist at the front desk, to bar tenders, to security guards, were extremely rude and condescending. Only the bell desk was kind and polite. After I got into the room, was terribly disappointed as well; extremely small room, in surprisingly poor condition for a relatively new hotel. Hair on the bedsheets, and unidentifiable light yellow substance on the bathtub. It's possible that the front desk purposely gave me a crappy room because I complained mildly about waiting 4 hours for my room. Hopefully nobody else ever gets put into the room I was in. By the way, the business center wasn't available either when I was there.

By far the worst Starwood hotel I have ever stayed at. Extremely disappointed.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

This past Wednesday night my wife and I stayed at the w south beach Miami.

After hearing from the Starwoods agent how this hotel was a category 6 hotel and would cost me 20000 starpoints. I figured this would be a great place for us to spend the night.

Well I have to say I was in for the surprise of my life.

I'll start with check in where I countered a nasty receptionist.When I inquired if there will be water in the room he replied in the affirmative. when I reached my room it was not there.

The room itself was a different story. the kitchenette sink was clogged and the porch door did not lock. So I called the front desk and asked if it would be possible to switch room due to fact that it was late and did want to wait till the technician fixed these problems the response was a defiant NO. So I waited until the technicians came and fixed the door. from start to finish 40 minutes.

After that ordeal I called front desk for late check out figuring the fact that I was a gold member it would not be a problem again a defiant NO.

So lets continue in with my night the remote would not change the volume on the TV near the bed. and when i powered off 1 TV the other went on. so i had to manually turn it off.

And to top off the whole stay no newspaper in the morning.

So I am writing to you to let you know how what was supposed to be a WOW experience was turned into a WOW nightmare.

New York City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2011

I don't really love South Beach, to tell you the truth. It's often sceney and pretentious and generally irritating. W South Beach is sceney, but it isn't pretentious. Staff were all very nice. There were a few blips in housekeeping as some other reviewers have pointed out. (One of our trash cans disappeared, never to return.) But the staff was very, very honest, we found. We left a tip for them, without a thank you note one day. We returned to find the bill still in place. In days after, we were careful to include a thank you note.

Our studio room came with a mini fridge, microwave and very stylish cutlery, china and cups for four. Housekeeping did our dishes, daily.

The lounge serves excellent cocktails by any standard. The restaurant, Solea, is good, as well, though its star chef, Marc Vidal, left earlier this year. The paellas are still very good. The beach and pool are well attended.

Like other W hotels, this one is beautifully decorated. We liked the art for the most part, though I found the Hello Kitty sculptures out front a bit odd.

I think all rooms have a balcony that faces the ocean. Ours was a gorgeous place to watch the sun rise.

Our only real complaint had to do with something the hotel probably doesn't have a lot of control over: The hotel was SWARMING with extremely obnoxious, ostentatiously Prada-wearing Russian women. One woman I was in an elevator with stared and giggled snarkily after another hotel guest (middle aged and not anorexic) got on the elevator, eating a sandwich. Her boyfriend looked on, smirking. I felt a bit like slapping them and the other hotel guest looked extremely embarrassed.

Other than some of the deplorable guests (which I suppose might be unavoidable in South Beach), the hotel was a real pleasure to stay in. It's a pleasant, 10 to 15 minute walk along the boardwalk to Lincoln Rd. (16th St.), where there are a lot of restaurants and shops. Many are touristy, but a few are both touristy and very good.

We didn't try the Acura service, but supposedly, the hotel will drop you off anywhere in South Beach, with advanced notice. They don't pick you up from the airport. Cab fare was a flat $32 rate. (Cabs do not turn on the meter.) It's a 45 minute to 1 hour trip to the Everglades.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to W South Beach? Share your experiences!