“Wonderful beyond out expectations !!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of W South Beach

Save Saved
You added W South Beach to your Saves list
W South Beach
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2201 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #23 of 201 Hotels in Miami Beach
New Jersey
“Wonderful beyond out expectations !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

Any upscale South Beach property can offer beautiful rooms, high ceilings, the latest in high tehc kitchens and a large pool both heated and landscaped. But what stood above all at the W was the understated sincerity of the staff, their eagerness to accomodate any request or issue, even willing to walk a block or two for that purpose. For example, when the maid accidently discarded a cooler box, the staff offered to go to Walgreens and replace it(We politely declined) Or when our daughter thought she had a fever(she did), they offered to go to Walgreens and buy her a thermometer(again, we declined). But the icing on the cake took place hours after we arrived. I did not realize that both a ten and twenty dollar bill had fallen out of my pocket when changing to go to the pool. Upon my return, both bills will sitting on the counter. The maid could easily have taken the money and , since I did not know they were missing, would never have known. That display of honesty was truly impressive and I reported this to the front desk.

In response to some of the other comments, our check in was a breeze, many languages were spoken in the elevators and no one acted in an inappropriate fashion. In fact, when the club was open, the staff went out of their way to keep the patrons away from hotel guests. Much appreciated. And when Lebron showed up our first night, that was a thrill.

Kudos to the staff and special thanks to Rick, Carolina, and especially Matthrew.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
WSouthBeach, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, February 8, 2011
Thank you for your kind words. We continue to strive to raise the experience levels of all of our guests. This did not happen overnight and we are still working to perfect the the experience. Thank you again for your kind words and its good to see things paying off.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2011

Extremely disappointed by this hotel. I've been a Starwood hotel fan for 15 years and have never been treated this poorly. I waited 4 hours to check into my room (while watching 30 different people check in ahead of me while I was waiting. Almost every single person, from the receptionist at the front desk, to bar tenders, to security guards, were extremely rude and condescending. Only the bell desk was kind and polite. After I got into the room, was terribly disappointed as well; extremely small room, in surprisingly poor condition for a relatively new hotel. Hair on the bedsheets, and unidentifiable light yellow substance on the bathtub. It's possible that the front desk purposely gave me a crappy room because I complained mildly about waiting 4 hours for my room. Hopefully nobody else ever gets put into the room I was in. By the way, the business center wasn't available either when I was there.

By far the worst Starwood hotel I have ever stayed at. Extremely disappointed.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

This past Wednesday night my wife and I stayed at the w south beach Miami.

After hearing from the Starwoods agent how this hotel was a category 6 hotel and would cost me 20000 starpoints. I figured this would be a great place for us to spend the night.

Well I have to say I was in for the surprise of my life.

I'll start with check in where I countered a nasty receptionist.When I inquired if there will be water in the room he replied in the affirmative. when I reached my room it was not there.

The room itself was a different story. the kitchenette sink was clogged and the porch door did not lock. So I called the front desk and asked if it would be possible to switch room due to fact that it was late and did want to wait till the technician fixed these problems the response was a defiant NO. So I waited until the technicians came and fixed the door. from start to finish 40 minutes.

After that ordeal I called front desk for late check out figuring the fact that I was a gold member it would not be a problem again a defiant NO.

So lets continue in with my night the remote would not change the volume on the TV near the bed. and when i powered off 1 TV the other went on. so i had to manually turn it off.

And to top off the whole stay no newspaper in the morning.

So I am writing to you to let you know how what was supposed to be a WOW experience was turned into a WOW nightmare.

New York City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2011

I don't really love South Beach, to tell you the truth. It's often sceney and pretentious and generally irritating. W South Beach is sceney, but it isn't pretentious. Staff were all very nice. There were a few blips in housekeeping as some other reviewers have pointed out. (One of our trash cans disappeared, never to return.) But the staff was very, very honest, we found. We left a tip for them, without a thank you note one day. We returned to find the bill still in place. In days after, we were careful to include a thank you note.

Our studio room came with a mini fridge, microwave and very stylish cutlery, china and cups for four. Housekeeping did our dishes, daily.

The lounge serves excellent cocktails by any standard. The restaurant, Solea, is good, as well, though its star chef, Marc Vidal, left earlier this year. The paellas are still very good. The beach and pool are well attended.

Like other W hotels, this one is beautifully decorated. We liked the art for the most part, though I found the Hello Kitty sculptures out front a bit odd.

I think all rooms have a balcony that faces the ocean. Ours was a gorgeous place to watch the sun rise.

Our only real complaint had to do with something the hotel probably doesn't have a lot of control over: The hotel was SWARMING with extremely obnoxious, ostentatiously Prada-wearing Russian women. One woman I was in an elevator with stared and giggled snarkily after another hotel guest (middle aged and not anorexic) got on the elevator, eating a sandwich. Her boyfriend looked on, smirking. I felt a bit like slapping them and the other hotel guest looked extremely embarrassed.

Other than some of the deplorable guests (which I suppose might be unavoidable in South Beach), the hotel was a real pleasure to stay in. It's a pleasant, 10 to 15 minute walk along the boardwalk to Lincoln Rd. (16th St.), where there are a lot of restaurants and shops. Many are touristy, but a few are both touristy and very good.

We didn't try the Acura service, but supposedly, the hotel will drop you off anywhere in South Beach, with advanced notice. They don't pick you up from the airport. Cab fare was a flat $32 rate. (Cabs do not turn on the meter.) It's a 45 minute to 1 hour trip to the Everglades.

Fairhope, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011

I just stayed one night and absolutely loved it!!! Wish I could stay more but had to move to downtown hotel for work. I found the service to be awesome. Anytime I asked for anything it was no problem! The rooms are amazing and smell incredible. Bed super comfortable. Will go back in a second. Loved it loved it!!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2011

Stayed for two nights to celebrate DH's birthday! Used free night awards. Otherwise cannot imagine paying the outrageous prices listed on spg.com. The best available rate was more than $800 a night during our stay! Not even worth half that.
Room was beautiful and well-furnished. Lovely balcony with comfy chairs and amazing ocean/beach views. Good housekeeping (except various walls and furniture still had moving tags and painter's tape!). Loved in room coffee and fridge. Typical W bathroom with great Bliss products.
Nice beach set-up with chaise lounges, towels, and umbrellas. Pool scene was pretty ludicrous - the pool itself is lovely, the jockeying for seats is typical for the area (and well controlled by the staff), but the crowd was so bizarre - it was like someone moved a band of Williamsburg beard-growing hipsters to the beach! There was also a lot of smoking. The restaurants and lobby bar were a complete disappointment.
Note: The hotel is next to Collins Park - make sure you check whether there are any events scheduled at the park during your stay. We overlapped with Art Basel Miami. There was an "art" concert in the park right on the beach that our room faced; it involved someone screaming the F word over and over and over again and went on for hours. We called the hotel when it started and asked to be moved to the other side of the hotel only to be told that side was completely full. The next day we got to listen to construction all day long as the concert area was dismantled. What I found most disturbing is that I asked for a quiet room at reservation and check-in and no one told us about the concert or construction issues. In response to our complaints no one was able to give us an answer why we weren't warned about the concert so that we could have asked for a different room at check-in or found another hotel. We were given back some points, but it really didn't make up for the lost sleep and aggravation.
Enjoy Miami!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2011

We were there over New Years so it was very busy. Still service was excellent. Room was beautiful and modern but the white tile throughout was not that clean and was never cleaned well the whole week we were there. Other than that everything was great. The food at both restaurants was amazing, the spa lovely, the lobby breathtaking, the bar hopping. The pool area was busy but not uncomfortably and service there was exceptional. I dont have much to say because really this was a flawless experience.
Oh - except the wood slat shades in the bedrooms dont block the light well so if you want to sleep in be prepared to do it in bright light.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to W South Beach? Share your experiences!