“Hot scene in South Beach” 5 of 5 stars
Review of W South Beach

You added W South Beach to your Saves list
W South Beach
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2201 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #11 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
New York
“Hot scene in South Beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

If you want a central location in South Beach, with a great pool scene and pristine beach - this is the place! We had a fabulous suite with two terraces overlooking the beach and South Beach. There are sleek modern rooms, a small gym (free of charge) and a Bliss spa on premises (and Bliss products in the bathrooms). The lobby and lounges are beautifully designed with great looking employees and guests. Mr. Chow's restaurant was great, and breakfast at their other restaurant was great too.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

Stayed for three nights using SPG free nights. Platinum status got me upgraded to a Fabulous studio which is 800sf w/ a 240 sf balcony. Balcony had an outdoor shower and chaise lounges and was fantastic. The bathroom had double sinks and a huge soaking tub and a gigantic glass shower. Everytime I tried calling for the Acura Experience it was busy but if you just go down to the lobby it's easy to pick up for a ride in sobe. Mr. Chow's food was excellent but the waiters are like used car salesmen and try to add huge money onto your bill (champagne, fiji water, sides etc) But stick to the basics and you can have a great meal for a reasonalbe price. Requests for extra towels and other things for the room were slow. But overall fantastic location and is the hotel hot spot for south beach hands down.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Markham, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2010

I decided to splurge on an Oasis suite for our family for our brief stay before our next destination. We stayed in the midweek and it was costly, but worth it. Our suite had a kitchen, powder room, media room, and a washer/Dryer combo, along with the usual aspects of a suite. It is stated that we had 1151 Square feet of space not including the huge balcony. We also had 3 LCD TV's, two 42" and one 50" in the Media room. I cannot stop thinking about what we had. It was really incredible. Being a 30-something couple with 2 young children, we were still treated with respect. Everytime we received help, I was referred to as Mr. [Last Name].

The only criticisms I have was the interior decorating was clean-looking but felt a little cold. Also, the hotel location is a little further north than desired, and as a result, there wasn't a lot of things around without having to walk for 15 minutes south.

Can't wait to come back when I have more money saved up!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
WSouthBeach, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, October 5, 2010
Good to hear you had a great stay. We look forward to your return!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

Had an incredible time with a group of 35 friends - the concierge was fantastic dealing with our big group and making suggestions, accommodations. Rooms are good - use SPG status if you have it for great upgrades, and request room facing the pool (most rooms have beach view, but pool AND beach is ideal).

The club Wall, managed externally but located in club is also an AWEsome good time - tough to get into but fun music and good crowd, at least on the Saturday we went.

The spa is also great, and the Kobe burger by pool memorable!

Staff at the Miami Beach Golf Club were quite incompetent and rude - of course this had nothing to do with the W, just a heads up.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Newtown, PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2010

I was here Sept 21-23 for a two day get away midweek when surely the hotel was not overbooked in a very slow mid September season. First question asked at check-in by staff: Are you a Starwood preferred guest? My answer: NO! Do you want to be? NO. The entire stay went south and fast. Girl at check-in told me the hotel was not fully booked until Thursday night, the day I was leaving. I booked a Fabulous Studio, mainly because I liked the outdoor shower idea. Upon arriving in the room (438), the outdoor shower did not work, there were no cushions on the patio furniture like the every other room in the hotel, and the room was beat up ugly dirty. I had to repair the crooked glass lamp on the bedside table that was leaning diagonally like it would hit the floor. Not to mention being at the end of the hotel there was not an ounce of privacy as every unit in the condo next door had a bird's-eye view of my room and balcony which was poorly planned for an end unit! 2 am Garbage trucks for the other condo woke me up. Are we at Killjoy yet? So I dial the Whatever Whenever line just an hour into my check-in and well let's just say 4 rings is indicative of something worse. First I asked for cushions for the patio furniture. 2 hours goes by, nothing! Whatever? Then I ask to move my room. "someone from the front desk will call you." Hahaha Whatever? No call. They must have been so busy with the 5pm shift change!

I walked down to the desk to complain and they updated my account for a room move the following morning. Now for a hotel that was obviously not completely booked, they could have moved me per my request the first night, and perhaps even upgraded my room class given the issues, but I guess because I was not a Starwood Preferred Guest I was screwed! Second day I called Whatever-Whenever to asked for an immediate room change, and for all my trouble I was offered yep, a downgrade at the same price! Is this place on crack? When I finally got them to offer the same room category Jason at Whatever Whenever said I would be on the same floor. However after waiting 1 hour for the new keys to be brought to the room I was wishing to vacate, there was a mix-up with the room and yep you guessed it, I had to go down to the desk to find out what was going on and was put one floor higher in another fabulous studio with zero privacy. Service at this hotel is plain crap! Do not expect anything great out of this staff! If Miami counts on tourism as it's main industry no wonder it's in the dumps!

The location of the W is well north of the main area of South Beach in an area where there is nothing around but run down properties. Yes it may be all the rage because it is the newest building in an area of rundown art deco hotels that are in dire need of upgrading, but who cares. At this service level the hype will be gone in a matter of months if not weeks. The pool area at the Shore Club and infact many other south beach hotels hands down beat WET! The pool area at the W is severely lacking and small. No hot tub area, and the servers were quite slow.

The lobby and other areas of the hotel are very attractive and hip and really feel special, however at what price? Once you've taken your keys to the room it's BUYER BEWARE and to the jerks who treated me like crap, count on a call from your Starwood CEO..

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2010

I went to the W again recently (we had to stay there because there was an event happening there).

I want to warn everyone that is Starwood Platinum that they do not care at all about Starwood status. This place is more like a club than a hotel and you should not expect a hospitable environment. The service sucks and the pricing is ridiculous (we paid over $600/night for our room). Stay elsewhere!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2010

As a Starwood Preferred Guest, I recently used a free weekend night award to stay at the new(ish) W in South Beach. The location is good, and close to many South Beach attractions. It is a $10 taxi ride to the far end of South Beach, and a $25-30 ride downtown. The lobby is really nice, and the doormen are friendly. Front desk staff (especially Lucky) were very friendly and accomodating. All of the restaurants and bars in the lobby were really good, although a little pricey. The room was awesome, and really my only complaint about this hotel is the fact that they do not offer any rooms with double beds. I believe the whole hotel is angled so that all rooms have ocean views....and all of the rooms were very large. Our room had a kitchenette/bar area, awesome bathroom, sitting area and a really nice balcony with comfortable furniture. The furnishings were really nice and not as over the top trendy (neon lights, etc.) as other W hotels. I definitely prefer the staff and grounds of this hotel over any other hotel I have stayed at in South Beach; and will definitely be staying here anytime I am in Miami Beach.

I have to disagree with other reviewers who have said that the staff was not friendly and that they were stuck up, etc. As a couple young adults, we were treated very well and found the staff to be very friendly.

Also, after checking out and recieving the folio for my stay I noticed a charge for $70 some odd dollars on my bill for the munchie bar, which nobody touched. I was really expecting a hard time having these charges removed, but this was not the case at all. The account manager, John was extremely nice and removed the charges right away, which I really appreciated.

On a side note, I am not sure whether or not the club on the hotel grounds "The Wall" is affiliated with the hotel or not, but it is your typical snotty South Beach scene. After being told to stand to the side we waited for 30 minutes before being told that if we wanted to enter the club we would have to buy 2 bottles. If you are staying at the hotel, you should have some sort of privelege at the club and not be required to spend $1000+ to go inside and have a few drinks.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends

Been to W South Beach? Share your experiences!